HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who had the hardest road to the NHL?

Old
03-07-2011, 08:21 AM
FrozenJagrt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiji00 View Post
nah crosby was WAY more valuable to his team then ovechkin/sedin. it's not even close. when you put up 32 more points then both linemates combined, it should be sealed up in the bag, the media makes the final choice pretty much by putting the most spotlight on who they think should win. and i think people should know by now that most people today are brainwashed news drones

most points/ goals usually wins.

but henriks cancuks were loaded with depth so crosby was robbed BIG TIME
While I agree that Crosby had a better year than Sedin, he definitely didn't deserve it over Miller. And really, don't discount Ovechkin. He had the best offensive season any player has had since Crosby put up his 120 point season. 1.51 ppg to Crosby's 1.52 that year. People will bring up his linemates, but Knuble is never going to turn anyone into a superstar and we've seen that Backstrom goes as Ovechkin goes, not the other way around. I'm not saying he necessarily deserved the Hart, but I do think he deserved it more than people give him credit for.

I guess I should get this on topic. Ovechkin had a toughish. His parents took him out of hockey as a kid, but his coach and his (now deceased) brother saw something in him and were adamant that he continue playing.

Last edited by FrozenJagrt: 03-07-2011 at 09:06 AM.
FrozenJagrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Kimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
I don't know about toughest roads, but MSL probably had the most unique path. From undrafted to best player in the world? I wonder how often that's happened, in any sport.
Not being drafted to best player in the world happens in basically all sports bar a few.

Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:52 AM
babyshamble

Mats Zuccarello had a preety hard road. Undersized, undrafted player from Norway.

When he was 16 years he had to change clubs because the club he had played for since he was 5 tought he was to small for Norwegian junior hockey and he did not get into their junior academy. Fortunately for Norwegian hockey another club nearby, Frisk Asker and especially coach Sergei Pushkov(Soviet hall of famer who ended his career in Norway) saw past his size and picked him up. Even tough his grades was not good enough he got to attend the NTG system in Asker.

People were always saying that he would not make it and by not making it i don`t mean the NHL but the Norwegian Elite League. He always seemed to take his play to another level when he was brought up through the ranks of Norwegian hockey all the way to the Elite league where he was MVP and led his team to the finals at the age of 20. After that year he ended up in Sweden, and again people were saying that he was not big enough. He averaged over a point per game already in his first season in the SEL. His second season he was the MVP of the league and also looked very impressive in the Olympics for Norway.

This year he is in the NHL and has had 17 points in his first 30 games and this is just the beginning.

babyshamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:48 AM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Antti Niemi.

Was a part time Zamboni driver 5 years ago.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyshamble View Post
Mats Zuccarello had a preety hard road. Undersized, undrafted player from Norway.

When he was 16 years he had to change clubs because the club he had played for since he was 5 tought he was to small for Norwegian junior hockey and he did not get into their junior academy. Fortunately for Norwegian hockey another club nearby, Frisk Asker and especially coach Sergei Pushkov(Soviet hall of famer who ended his career in Norway) saw past his size and picked him up. Even tough his grades was not good enough he got to attend the NTG system in Asker.

People were always saying that he would not make it and by not making it i don`t mean the NHL but the Norwegian Elite League. He always seemed to take his play to another level when he was brought up through the ranks of Norwegian hockey all the way to the Elite league where he was MVP and led his team to the finals at the age of 20. After that year he ended up in Sweden, and again people were saying that he was not big enough. He averaged over a point per game already in his first season in the SEL. His second season he was the MVP of the league and also looked very impressive in the Olympics for Norway.

This year he is in the NHL and has had 17 points in his first 30 games and this is just the beginning.
Great story.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:07 AM
kakemono

Bobby Ryan

Dad charged with attempted murder on sustance abusing mom. Fractured her skull, internal injuries... Dad takes him, jumps bail, flee to california, changes name.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3782270

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:12 AM
SidGenoMario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi View Post
Not being drafted to best player in the world happens in basically all sports bar a few.
Really? Who?

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

John Madden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Madden_(ice_hockey)

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Kimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
Really? Who?
Look at the sports that have a draft. Now look at the many many many sports that don't.

Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:43 PM
ed bruin

anytime you can bring Georges in you gotta do it

ed bruin is offline   Reply With Quote