HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did team Sweden Help

Old
03-07-2011, 05:47 AM
oil slick

vCash: 500
Did team Sweden Help

As an Oilers fan, I was just thinking that it would be cool if the Oilers drafted Larsson or Landeskog in the upcoming draft to join Paajarvi, Omark, and Lander as probable players on the Oilers going forward.

So my question is, did having so many swedes actually help the Wings in integrating, re-signing, and developing other swedes? Obviously the whole team sweden thing has been a cool side story to the Wings success, but I'm just wondering if people here think the wings would have been any less dominant had Lidstrom been a Czech rather than a Swede.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Alpha190

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
As an Oilers fan, I was just thinking that it would be cool if the Oilers drafted Larsson or Landeskog in the upcoming draft to join Paajarvi, Omark, and Lander as probable players on the Oilers going forward.

So my question is, did having so many swedes actually help the Wings in integrating, re-signing, and developing other swedes? Obviously the whole team sweden thing has been a cool side story to the Wings success, but I'm just wondering if people here think the wings would have been any less dominant had Lidstrom been a Czech rather than a Swede.
I don't think it is a matter of Swedes joining Detroit from other clubs. We only had 2 players doing that and that's Samuelsson and Lilja. Their contributes were decent but they were more of role players than core material.

The reason we have so many Swedes are because of the excellent scouting of Håkan Andersson and his network of connections here in Sweden. Plus the philosophy of the Detroit Red Wings which is to find skilled players that fits their system. Puck-moving, skilled and defensive responsible players.

Examples are Zetterberg, Ericsson and Franzen.

Z was a young kid back when Timra played in a division lower than SEL. He had the skill, talent but lacked size. Plus back then nobody really scouted the lower tier leagues in Sweden. Same thing with Ericsson, heck he was a forward when Andersson saw him. He told Ericsson he liked what he saw, but he rather have him switch to defense before drafting him.

Franzen played in the SEL at age of 24 until he got drafted by DRW. He had the skill, size but his potential was a 3rd line defensive checking Center with some limited offense.

The correlation between all the players were that they had the skill and would fit the Detroit system. Being Swedes I don't think was part of it except Andersson being a great scout and he's most likely to scouts Swedes more than others.

However the Swede factor could help younger Swedes to come in to the DRW squad. You'd feel right at home with so many guys from the same country as you. There should be some type of correlation between how you fit in socially on a team and your performance on the ice.

Alpha190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:45 PM
BamaWing

I agree. It was more of our scouting in the Sweden leagues moreso than Sweden as a nation. With that said it has been really cool to have a team that play together and have so much heritage they share.

BamaWing is offline   Reply With Quote