HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Bruins Rivalry

Old
03-09-2011, 07:12 PM
habfaninvictoria

vCash: 500
The Bruins Rivalry

I'm old enough to remember the big rivalry from the 70's with the B's. I also loved the rivalry with the Nordiques. Those game were always passionate and the teams really hated each other. Great stuff

The Bruins have far more reasons to hate us than the other way around. As a franchise they've basically been our ***** for decades with very few bright spots for them even though on paper they could probably have been favoured. The Bruins have always been a team that loved the rough stuff and, I'm fine with that. The habs historically had lots of guys that could play that game.

The current situation is every bit as hateful as the aforementioned rivalries. The major difference from our perspective is that we simply don't have the guns to try and play that type of game, nor should we. The Bruins are big and like to try and intimidate teams that way. I don't necessarily think that makes them tough, but it's an effective strategy for them. The previous game in Boston, we played right into their hands. All other games this year we've handled them fine. I'd rather win the game than the fight.

From their fans perspective they've only ever really been able to fall back on the fact that they may have won the fight, so its not surprising that they have a certain amount of bloodlust.

The players on the other hand, seem to genuinely hate us. I'm ok with that, I even encourage it. The source of this, to hear Marchand talk, is that we're yappy and don't fight. I don't really buy that. Julien certainly adds fuel to the fire, and honestly, I think that their attitude stems directly from him. I didn't expect him to vilify Chara last night, but I also didn't expect him to blow the whole thing off either. You would have thought after that hit last night, he'd have had enough blood, but no. The 3rd period seemed dedicated to injuring more of our players. Yes a game still had to be played, but with the game out of reach, did Lucic still have to prove he was tougher than Pouliot.

I think this is great rivalry, I love it. I hate the B's but until recently respected them. This rivalry seems less about winning now and more about vengeance. No idea how to fix it, but I think it starts with the coach.

I don't want this to turn into some giant ***** fest about last night. Intelligent commentary much appreciated.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote