HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

2011 Mid-Season Prospect Poll: Who's #4?

View Poll Results: Midseason #4 prospect
T.J. Brennan (D) 4 7.14%
Paul Byron (C) 1 1.79%
Marcus Foligno (LW) 5 8.93%
Jerome Gauthier-Leduc (D) 0 0%
Matt MacKenzie (D) 0 0%
Brayden McNabb (D) 28 50.00%
Mark Pysyk (D) 14 25.00%
Drew Schiestel (D) 3 5.36%
Kevin Sundher (C) 0 0%
Corey Tropp (RW) 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

vCash: 500
2011 Mid-Season Prospect Poll: Who's #4?

1. Zack Kassian (RW, OHL): 41 of 53, 77.36%
2. Jhonas Enroth (G, AHL): 33 of 48, 68.75%
3. Luke Adam (C, AHL): 31 of 47, 65.96%

JGL added is the lastest addition.

Candidates:

F: Riley Boychuk, Philip Gogulla, Cedrick Henley, Christian Isackson, Justin Jokinen, Jacob Lagace, Maxime Legault, Felix Schutz, Steven Shipley, Gregg Sutch, Travis Turnbull

D: Mark Adams, Alex Biega, Vjacheslav Buravchikov, Nick Crawford, Corey Fienhage, Jerome Gauthier-Leduc, Drew MacKenzie, Dennis Persson

G: Brad Eidsness, Nick Eno, Connor Knapp

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

McNabb/Biega again.

Old
03-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Pysyk. I love McNabb, and people will be enamored with his blend of size, aggressiveness, and recent scoring, but Pysyk has fewer flaws in his game and will likely be the better NHL player. He's just such a smooth skater and quality defender. His offense is growing steadily, as well. He gets all the hardest assignments and does very well with them, despite being on a fairly average team in the WHL.

Pysyk gets my vote.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Schiestel again.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Luceni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Pysyk. I love McNabb, and people will be enamored with his blend of size, aggressiveness, and recent scoring, but Pysyk has fewer flaws in his game and will likely be the better NHL player. He's just such a smooth skater and quality defender. His offense is growing steadily, as well. He gets all the hardest assignments and does very well with them, despite being on a fairly average team in the WHL.

Pysyk gets my vote.
sry, but I've to go with the organizational need: That's thoughness and size imo.
So I tak McNabb

Luceni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

Pysyk gets my vote.
I'm not sure why anyone would vote Pysyk or McNabb over Schiestel, unless they feel the injury is a MAJOR setback.

Old
03-07-2011, 08:58 AM
OcAirlines

McNabb, add Crawford.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:05 AM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

Pysyk all the way. I think there's a couple of good players left, but I think Pysyk is the closest to a surefire NHLer on here. But Like I said before, I base my votes on talent and ceiling. There may be players on here more badly needed in the Sabres system, but IMO that doesn't make them a better prospect.

add Biega.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Luceni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would vote Pysyk or McNabb over Schiestel, unless they feel the injury is a MAJOR setback.
Well I have to say that I can't understand your mancrush on schiestel. Pysyk is much more talented and has way more potential than drew, imo.

Luceni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
People rank prospects differently. Put simply, my only question is "who's going to be the best player?" Here, at this slot, I think it's going to be Pysyk. I have Scheistel as my #5 prospect, so there's not much separation right now. I just think Pysyk is going to be the better player, and I don't have to wait until he plays 50 games in his second year in the AHL to confirm that belief. I love his development curve and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he's being considered for #1 or #2 at this time next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
sry, but I've to go with the organizational need: That's thoughness and size imo.
So I tak McNabb
As I said above, people use different metrics in ranking prospects, but I think this is the absolute worst way to rank prospects. Center is our biggest organizational need: Does that make Paul Byron and Kevin Sundher better prospects than Pysyk? I sure hope not. And size, physicality, and leadership are greater organizational needs than defense: does that make Marcus Foligno a better prospect than Scheistel, Brennan, and Pysyk? Again, I hope not.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
I could suggest that Pysyk has had a better post-draft year than Schiestel did and McNabb had two better post-draft seasons than Schiestel did. I think of them as the top 3 defense prospects in the organization so I'm not sure their precise placement on this list makes a ton of difference.

Old
03-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
People rank prospects differently. Put simply, my only question is "who's going to be the best player?" Here, at this slot, I think it's going to be Pysyk. I have Scheistel as my #5 prospect, so there's not much separation right now. I just think Pysyk is going to be the better player, and I don't have to wait until he plays 50 games in his second year in the AHL to confirm that belief. I love his development curve and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he's being considered for #1 or #2 at this time next season.

As I said above, people use different metrics in ranking prospects, but I think this is the absolute worst way to rank prospects. Center is our biggest organizational need: Does that make Paul Byron and Kevin Sundher better prospects than Pysyk? I sure hope not. And size, physicality, and leadership are greater organizational needs than defense: does that make Marcus Foligno a better prospect than Scheistel, Brennan, and Pysyk? Again, I hope not.
yea... dumb comment by me

Old
03-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Well I have to say that I can't understand your mancrush on schiestel. Pysyk is much more talented and has way more potential than drew, imo.
From the minimal viewings I've had of Pysyk this year... I don't think that is the case at all.

Schiestel looked better at the pro level this year, then Pysyk did in juniors.... that opinion is based on less then 10 games viewing each...

Old
03-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Ball1374

McNabb, add Crawford

Ball1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:34 AM
joshjull

Quote:
How bad is that injury?

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I can get the decision -- there isn't that much between the three for me. Pysyk plays a smart defensive game and moves very well. His smarts parlay into offense. Schiestel is a highly mobile player who's offensive game is fairly natural and he's made strides in his own zone... and has a knee injury. McNabb's footwork has gotten better and he continues to be both tough while growing his scoring game. It looks like all three could be good 2nd pairing players. It's then a matter of personal taste (including style, maturation, perceived upside, perceived likelihood of reaching upside).

03-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Kruschiki

Lot of D in the system.

Add Biega.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
From the minimal viewings I've had of Pysyk this year... I don't think that is the case at all.

Schiestel looked better at the pro level this year, then Pysyk did in juniors.... that opinion is based on less then 10 games viewing each...
Going from junior to junior season, Pysyk is better than Schiestel at this point in their respective development curves. Pysyk's game in his own zone -- his on-ice awareness -- is top notch. At this point, Drew was still following the play a lot, drifting out of position but his superior skating allowed him to reset quickly. Mark does not have to reset himself, he's where he needs to be. Drew has improved on that aspect of his game, but it wouldn't surprise me that Pysyk is in the show in his second pro season, not just making big strides in the AHL.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:25 AM
OpethianSabre20

Pysyk, add Biega.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
ct2111

Hard to choose between Pysyk and McNabb, Pysyk has been on fire, the last 40 games he has 35 points. Pretty impressive for a more defensive minded d-man. But the season McNabb is having is simply too impressive, plus they need toughness. Probably would've picked Schiestel though if he hadn't had that knee injury.

McNabb, add Crawford.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
How bad is that injury?
I'm not sure. i know he had surgery in Buffalo a few weeks ago on his right knee.

i never heard the full scoop (acl? mcl? etc)

Old
03-07-2011, 11:18 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Pysyk. Not bad for a pick we all (For the most part) hated at the time.

I just think he will develop into a better all around player than McNabb, and I do worry about the injury to Schiestal. He still makes my Top 6. Being the team's captain is a plus in my book as well. Not huge, but it's something to think about.

Add Crawford.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Oh, and for the add... Biega-smalls.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:23 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Gotta go with Pysyk. He and McNabb both have very high ceilings IMO, but I think McNabb might be a guy who benefits more from loads of playing time and superior size than anything else in juniors, and I feel that Pysyk's smarts/skating will make for a smoother and quicker transition to the NHL game than McNabb's size/toughness. Honestly, I love that Pysyk was on a terrible team last season, as well, because he'll know what it is to struggle and the things he has to do to prevent it happening again.

Schiestel and Foligno are right in this group as well, but Pysyk's ceiling is higher than either of theirs, IMO.

Anyways, add Biega.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Pysyk, add Isackson

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote