Notices

Name Change: Wild To North Stars?

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2011, 01:38 PM
BlueLineBlues*

vCash: 500
Name Change: Wild To North Stars?

Was wondering if Minnesota fans would favor a name change back to the North Stars and also favor bringing back the classic North Stars jerseys?

Old
03-07-2011, 01:40 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Can I get a time machine and a guarantee to the 1999 Stanley Cup and Norm Green not sucking too?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
03-07-2011, 01:45 PM
nickschultzfan

I actually like the Wild logo, and really like the green jerseys, but I would absolutely blow up the city of Dallas if it would guarantee us the name "North Stars".

Old
03-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Not right now, but before the 2000 season I would've. We are 11 years into the Wild as a franchise, and for better or worse, it is what we will stick with. It would just be awkward to switch back now.

Old
03-07-2011, 01:46 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
No, no, no, no, and no.

The North Star tag, history and all that jazz went with the team when they moved south. The Wild are a new franchise establishing their own history in the making.

Old
03-07-2011, 02:35 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Great logo, beautiful sweater, and real history. I'd be all for it.

At least as an alternate jersey, if the full brand isn't available.

Old
03-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Bored with it.

Old
03-07-2011, 03:15 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

change it to "Trappers".

Old
03-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Can we change the Timberwolves to the Lakers too?

Old
03-07-2011, 04:02 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I hope we change (insert new NFL franchise's name) to the Vikings. Too soon?

Old
03-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
change it to "Trappers".
Agreed.

Old
03-07-2011, 07:31 PM
se7en
infamous...

I'd change the name & jerseys back to the North Stars in a heartbeat if I had the chance to...

I HATE everything about the Wild except for the fact they're from Minnesota (& Excel Energy Center)

I think we have the cheesiest sounding name in pretty much all of professional sports.. I know it's supposed to refer to the Wilderness but I always think of the song Wild thing, which socially speaking is no longer a cool song... Well that or I think of the giant green rollercoaster at Valleyfair which again was cool at the time it was built but bring that ride to any self respecting 6 flags in the country & Wild Thing would rank as about the 5th best roller coaster...

I hate our font, I think we use the kind of font for our lettering & numbering that you would use if writing a childrens book about friendly woodland creatures that you might see on a camping trip.. And that terrible "WILD" in the circle shoulder patch! Or our new rectangle one that at first glance looks like a frickin mountain dew logo!Both those patches have got to be up there with the Avs yeti footprint patch as worst ever! At least put the state of hockey logo on the shoulder or something..

I Love our Red... and I really LOVE our green! BUT, I HATE THEM TOGETHER! I think mixing red & green together is about the worst color scheme you can imagine for a team... Pick either just red or just green & go with it. Stop making us look like we play for Santa.. Especially with our home jersey, What an ugly mess that thing is! Hmmm let's take this pretty red & trim it with green & then put a Wild christmas ornament right in the center! Put a little tinsel & garland on there & throw an angel on the helmet & you've got yourself one festiv team!

Then Nordy... Don't even get me started on Nordy.... What an Embarassment...

All in All when people ask me who my favorite team is I always say "Minnesota" I try to never say "Wild"...

I have 3 Minnesota Wild jersey's and I barely ever wear them, (I really only wear the new green one) even to Wild games. I always opt for my North Stars jersey instead. That or I'll wear any one of my numerous other teams jerseys... I'm more proud to put on any of my Islanders jerseys then I am any of my Wild jerseys...

The Only thing I'll give the Wild credit for is a clever logo... but people still ask "what is it?" some people never even realized it's an animals head! How do you miss that!?

All in all, I think the North Stars name, colors & logo were the some of the greatest in all of sports. I could care less about the Wild's 11 years so far, Besides one hell of a 2003 play-off run we've had really nothing to be proud of... The whole league thinks we're boring, the league itself cares so little about us that they barely ever do a story on us, & even tho we're the heart of American hockey & have 2 perfect venues we can't get an Outdoor classic to save our life! (Why, because we're boring & no one outside of Minnesota cares about us) Lastly, for the most part, we're still just that lame expansion team that other teams have to play on their schedule. We're the kind of game that people offer their tickets to friends because they'd rather see a better game...I HATE THAT...

Then they put us in the Northwest division! It sure is sweet having our nearest division rival 900 miles away! Because we really have great rivalry's there! If we were still the North Stars we'd be in our rightful spot playing with Chicago, Detroit & St. Louis on a regular basis. Places that we already have deep roots with in other sports, places where we have history & heritage. Places way more exciting to play! But nope... we're the Wild now so we play teams that could care less about us... Our biggest rivals don't even consider us rivals... sweet.

The fact that the Wild get any respect is due to the fact that they are from Minnesota... If they were a new expansion team from say Louisana or something they'd be the laughing stock of the league... Luckily enough true hockey fans know what happened to our North Stars & are just happy we have a team again. Since we love hockey so much I think they just let our cheesyness slide...

Don't get me wrong I still LOVE the Wild because that's who we are now but it doesn't mean I don't wish we could go back to what we were & what we are supposed to be... I feel like I'm a parent of a really dumb & ugly kid... It's like ya I love'em but I sure do wish they were smart & attractive...

Maybe if we start actually being a good team for a few years & get a cup or two in there we'll finally get some real respect from the rest of the league. Then maye we can talk & re-visit the North Stars / Wild debate. But for right now I'd do anything to be the North Stars again... Even if that meant starting from scratch again. At least I'd have a name, colors & jersey I could be proud to wear...

Yaaa I know that was harsh but it's just how I feel. I can't stress enough tho that even tho I hate so much about what we are now, I still love & support them... I just wish I could have my cake & eat it too...

/long rant

& cue hating me other Wild fans... haha Actually no one will probably even read that longass post!

Old
03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
rafterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Not right now, but before the 2000 season I would've. We are 11 years into the Wild as a franchise, and for better or worse, it is what we will stick with. It would just be awkward to switch back now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xtremeninja View Post
The North Star tag, history and all that jazz went with the team when they moved south. The Wild are a new franchise establishing their own history in the making.
These two comments sum it up pretty well for me. This team now has 'history' as the Wild and no link other than geography to the North Stars.

Old
03-07-2011, 09:15 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
change it to "Trappers".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Agreed.
In order to attract a more diverse fanbase I was thinking the Trapstars. Thoughts?

Edited thoughts: It combines Our love of the trap, as well as the old North Stars thing. We could run with the bear (figuratively) and have like a bear getting caught in a trap and raging about it as our logo.

Old
03-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Kari Takko

I don't care what they're called as long as they're in Minnesota and competitive. I think the Miami Heat is a stupid name, but in the end, who cares?

Old
03-08-2011, 01:59 PM
BlueLineBlues*

Give me a break! What the hell does WILD have to do with a freaking hockey team? It's a dumb nickname!

And the ugly green and red Jersey's are one of if not the worst in the NHL. Where as the North Stars were one of the best.

The North Stars came into the NHL in 1967 had great teams and players and their traditional name and great looking Jersey's should be brought back to Minny. I don't care that they once had to move the team...they are back and should have been the North Stars from day 1. Nobody cares the Dallas Stars came from Minny years ago. The names Dallas Stars & Minnesota North Stars can both co-exist and even sounds cool.

It might even rekindle the Minnestoa North Stars winning ways because the Minnesota WILD have been a perennial loser.

Old
03-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLineBlues View Post
Give me a break! What the hell does WILD have to do with a freaking hockey team? It's a dumb nickname!

And the ugly green and red Jersey's are one of if not the worst in the NHL. Where as the North Stars were one of the best.

The North Stars came into the NHL in 1967 had great teams and players and their traditional name and great looking Jersey's should be brought back to Minny. I don't care that they once had to move the team...they are back and should have been the North Stars from day 1. Nobody cares the Dallas Stars came from Minny years ago. The names Dallas Stars & Minnesota North Stars can both co-exist and even sounds cool.

It might even rekindle the Minnestoa North Stars winning ways because the Minnesota WILD have been a perennial loser.
3 playoff appearances, 1 division championship and a run the WCF's disagrees with you. I loved the North Stars, but they sure weren't the Oilers of the '80s.

Old
03-08-2011, 02:13 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

I always thought Dallas screwed up by not naming them the Dallas Lone Stars when they first got the team. Seemed to be perfect.

03-08-2011, 02:22 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

jesus ****ing christ people.

Old
03-08-2011, 02:29 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
3 playoff appearances, 1 division championship and a run the WCF's disagrees with you. I loved the North Stars, but they sure weren't the Oilers of the '80s.
****, compared to their expansion brethren the Wild are the Oilers of the 80s.

Old
03-08-2011, 02:34 PM
rafterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLineBlues View Post

It might even rekindle the Minnestoa North Stars winning ways
because the Minnesota WILD have been a perennial loser.
The North Stars weren't exactly a perennial powerhouse. They had a decent run of about 5 years at the start of the 80's and the complete fluke run in '91 when they had a 27-39-14 reg. season record and ended up in the SCF.

In their last 9 years they finished better than 4th in the division twice. And the (first) 12 years prior to those 5 good years they missed the playoffs half the time and won a total of two playoff series. Six or seven good years out of 26 does not add up to 'winning ways' in my mind.

Old
03-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
****, compared to their expansion brethren the Wild are the Oilers of the 80s.
Columbus: Making Minnesota Look Good Since 2000.

Old
03-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Stepanformayor*

Been to Minny a couple times and really liked it.. Xcel Center second to none.. The fans as knowledgeable as they come, but IMO the Wild colors/jersey's might be one the worst in pro sports. Far too much goin' on. They look like skating Christmas trees.
Sorry!! Bring back the N-Star jerseys!

Old
03-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Derivation

How about Lesnar's?

Old
03-08-2011, 09:47 PM
MK9

Jesus Christ on a crutch. No.

Closed Thread