Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Germany

Multisport clubs in German ice hockey?

Old
03-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Multisport clubs in German ice hockey?

I came across this article by Uli Hesse about the Bayern München basketball team, and it made me wonder why so few, if any of the DEL teams have links to the multisport clubs that seem to play a significant role in almost all other German sporting activities.

I know that Eisbären Berlin were once a part of the SC Dynamo Berlin umbrella and that Frankfurt Lions used to be the ice hockey section of Eintracht Frankfurt, but do any of the other current or former DEL teams have a similar connection?

Would I be able to find any names that would be familiar to me as a football fan in the 2. Bundesliga or the Oberliga?

I'd also like to know if the ice hockey clubs follow the 50+1 rule like the football clubs do?

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:19 AM
mexicohockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
I came across this article by Uli Hesse about the Bayern München basketball team, and it made me wonder why so few, if any of the DEL teams have links to the multisport clubs that seem to play a significant role in almost all other German sporting activities.

I know that Eisbären Berlin were once a part of the SC Dynamo Berlin umbrella and that Frankfurt Lions used to be the ice hockey section of Eintracht Frankfurt, but do any of the other current or former DEL teams have a similar connection?

Would I be able to find any names that would be familiar to me as a football fan in the 2. Bundesliga or the Oberliga?

I'd also like to know if the ice hockey clubs follow the 50+1 rule like the football clubs do?
Hamburger SV has a team in the Oberliga right now, Eintracht Braunschweig had a team many years ago.
Adler Mannheim have strong ties to the Hopp family, which are behind Hoffenheim of the football Bundesliga.

Many teams are owned by investors, the Anschutz Group, owner of the LA Kings, also controls Eisbären Berlin and the Hamburg Freezers (and Hammerby IF up to 49%).

mexicohockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:41 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

no 50+1 in the DEL

Mannheim has nothing to do with Hoffenheim in the sports section.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Bondys Champagne
Who dey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
no 50+1 in the DEL

Mannheim has nothing to do with Hoffenheim in the sports section.
Only that Mr. Hopp sponsors both and I think without him, they wouldn't be where they are right now..

Bondys Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicohockey View Post
Hamburger SV has a team in the Oberliga right now, Eintracht Braunschweig had a team many years ago.
Yeah, I noticed the HSV team on Eliteprospects.
I guess the natural follow up question is if they are actually part of HSV or if they have just lent the name like the handball team has?

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:35 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Yeah, I noticed the HSV team on Eliteprospects.
I guess the natural follow up question is if they are actually part of HSV or if they have just lent the name like the handball team has?
They are a part of the Hamburger Sportverein.
The Ultras of the football club even attend games from time to time to show their support.

The Handball club is actually Handball Sport Verein. The HSV doesn't even stand for Hamburger SV even though they are allowed to use the logo.

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 12:05 PM
EHCler

Bayern Munich used to have a profesional Hockey team between 1966 and 1969 which played 2 seasons in the top German league.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:59 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I used to play for the HSV youth team back in the 80's at the Stellingen outdoor rink.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote