HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Are we stuck with Gaborik? (If it doesn't work out)

Old
03-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
didnt kovalchuk look like complete and utter garbage at the beginning of this season?
Ovechkin too. Probably will have his worst statistical year of his career by far. And he's got a hell of a big contract. I guess they should try to move him.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
You are dead on, based on your observations. He is a talented guy, one of the most talented but some much of it gets washed away and over rid by his awful fragility. I think this is a lesson. Dont sign big players to long term contracts, for big money. It just doesent work out for us here in NY. In fact almost every big contract weve given that i could think of has been a failure. Drury, Gomez, Redden, Holik, Kaspar, Lindros and now MR gaborik. I think we should stick with building, and atleast if we do sign a guy, weve seen him a few years and we know what we get with him By signing guys i.e Richards its difficult as most of us dont watch Dallas and to say Richards is the saviour is premature just like many other signings. I would stick with who we got and consider moving Gaborik if someone is willing to give up some young talent for him. Stepan, Stall, Dubi, Cally, Sauer, Girardi, Mcdonaugh, Zucc, Anisimov, Kreider. We have some real young talent here imo and we have time to see who we really want around long term.
And the catch 22 is if we dont sign UFA's to longterm contracts, we'll have to get really lucky to develop an elite player, because one is not coming down the pipeline now or anytime soon considering this franchise seems content with finishing 6-10th in the conference every season.

Regarding Gaborik, he came with a fragile tag, but he has the talent to back up such an investment. High risk/high reward, but thats the way this organization needs to go in order to keep up the rest of the league when it comes to talented forwards.

The alternative is going ga-ga over a bunch of homegrown players that work hard but, inevitably, finish in the same place in the standings are fading stars that are here for a paycheck.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 03:47 PM
satrabyk

What i dont get is why people call him a superstar sniper. He has the potential but he has not proven to be one. One or two 40+ goal seasons does not qualify. If that was the case than Jason Blake, Brad Boyes etc could be called superstar snipers.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Blueblood 2

Were we stuck with Gomez, Redden, Kotalik and others? Slats always finds a way to erase his mistakes!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 03:52 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Ovechkin too. Probably will have his worst statistical year of his career by far. And he's got a hell of a big contract. I guess they should try to move him.
Thanks for the proletarian assessment; and for totally missing the point.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 03:56 PM
In The Flesh

I wanted nothing to do with Gabby. It's on record, not just saying this now. Having an elite player half the time is garbage.

Yeah, were not stuck with him.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 03:57 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
And the catch 22 is if we dont sign UFA's to longterm contracts, we'll have to get really lucky to develop an elite player, because one is not coming down the pipeline now or anytime soon considering this franchise seems content with finishing 6-10th in the conference every season.

Regarding Gaborik, he came with a fragile tag, but he has the talent to back up such an investment. High risk/high reward, but thats the way this organization needs to go in order to keep up the rest of the league when it comes to talented forwards.

The alternative is going ga-ga over a bunch of homegrown players that work hard but, inevitably, finish in the same place in the standings are fading stars that are here for a paycheck.
Firstly u make it sound like we have gone down this path of home grown players for decades. Its only been 3 or 4 years that we have actually started drafting, developing and calling up these players. Remember when u draft guys like Jessiman, Mally, Lundmark etc, its hard too get excited about homegrown guys. But this is changing, Stepan and Dubi in particular are homegrown guys that could still grow into first line guys imo. I also think Cally and Anisimov could be good second line guys. I was not in favour of Zucc at first but now i can see him to be a could swing man anywhere in the line up, hes got good attitude and understands the game better than most on this team (im a little bias as i hes one of the few guys that knows how make that pass to give a guy an empty net, which is missign with guys liek Boyle, Prust etc. I dont know about Krieder but from what i hear he could be a 2nd to 1st liner, but wont say anythinh till i see him play. Than there is our D, i have never seen it this good for a long time. I mean Sauer is becoming scary good, Stall and i like that V tank down in the minors, not to mention MDZ, Mcd. Give it some time we are on the right path, and hopefully we can steal a round or two in this years playoffs. The 2 guys i really worry about in the playoffs is Gilroy and Wolski.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:01 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

Well, when you pass up on players like Parise and Getzlaf, you have to go out and sign players to inflated contracts... players that come to NY because we are the only ones dumb enough to offer such exorbitant amounts of money for services that other teams would only pay fair market value for.

It all comes down to the front-office ineptitude, and an attitude akin to Wall St., where it's acceptable to take on gigantic risks.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
Were we stuck with Gomez, Redden, Kotalik and others? Slats always finds a way to erase his mistakes!
Or, you can look at it the way I do and think that instead of "erasing" mistakes, its more of keeping the franchise stuck in nuetral with bad decisions followed by fixes.

Also, let me know how "erased" Redden is when his caphit pops up again this summer and we're trying to sign Brad Richards.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:06 PM
bscharf

the guy is playing hurt.. i hate fans that are so quick to forget he was unbelievable last year and the only hope this team had. Kovy had a horrible half a season healthy and found a spark to his game. Even elite players slump.. GROW UP. you cant trade a guy every time they slump or get hurt.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:22 PM
chip chipperson*

what happens if we make it to the playoffs and the guy turns into a monster? the year isnt over yet.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Think it's too early to call Gabby a mistake.

Bu I do shed single, manly tears of what could've been if the Gaborik of last year had been playing this season.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:32 PM
TrueBlue9

not that you would want to keep a player solely for this reason but you can't discount the role he's going to play in Kreiders development. I can't think of a better guy for Kreider to learn from given the similar skill set....ie) speed, acceleration, release.....

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Fair value for Gaborik is just that. He guy is injury prone. We know, our GM knows it and so does every other GM in the league. You think one full season by Gaborik last year really proved anything? People know he is one of the most prolific scorers in the NHL when healthy.. But he's not and never is. His history has shown this over and over again. Hell, Hemsky is in the same boat. He would be a star if he could just stay healthy but it's the same old song and dance with him too.
Our GM knows Gaborik is injury prone, yet he still threw $37.5 million at Gaborik. Got it. Then again, this is the same GM who traded for Lindros and told us he had no physical problems, that Lindros's concussion issues were made up the the press.

Quote:
You don't look at ONE season and determine a players worth. You look at their history, backgrounds, etc... Were talking about a contract with over 20 MILLION DOLLARS left on it. They aren't going to take a sample size of 82 games (or was it 81 games for him?). So no, I don't think his value has diminished much because nothing that happened last season or this season is new. He's a guy, when healthy who can tear up the league. Problem is, and history has shown us this, that he can't stay healthy.
Thanks for clearing that up...genius stuff right here. Nobody would have known that if you hadn't said it.

Quote:
... Now in your fantasy situation where he was healthy and on pace for another career year for two full seasons I think your argument would hold true... But it's just that... a fantasy.
Hope that helps you understand the situation a little better...
The fantasy is that with your condescending posts you act like you know more than the next person, but the only thing you add is gems like 'he can't stay healthy'.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
What i dont get is why people call him a superstar sniper. He has the potential but he has not proven to be one. One or two 40+ goal seasons does not qualify. If that was the case than Jason Blake, Brad Boyes etc could be called superstar snipers.
Because every season post-lockout Gaborik has been a PPG player (except this one which it is still possible though unlikely). The reason he never made it to 40 goals in some seasons was because he was injured. If he played the full seasons, he likely would've made it to 40 goals/80 points.

Jason Blake may have scored 40 goals with the Islanders, but he wasn't even a PPG player that season. In fact, he has never finished a season averaging a PPG.

Same with Brad Boyes. He's had some good seasons, but never a PPG season. He's also been inconsistent.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 05:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The only thing I ask of Gaborik is to show up and play with determination.

When he does it, I applaud him.

When he loafs, I get on him.

I don't care if he scores 40 goals or 30 goals (he can get 30 with his eyes closed because of his skill level).

As long as he shows up to play with determination, the production is gravy.

And because the effort level is sporadic, I don't believe he's a guy that can or will lead a team deep into the playoffs on his back. He can and will help. But he won't lead.

Richards would help Gaborik out, a lot, IMO. Help his production, get him motivated, and take some of the pressure and load off Gaborik.

Gaborik looked good in the Philly game. He didn't look like he was out for a while with a concussion. He looked healthy, somewhat timid, but that's to be expected. He played hard.

I'd deal Gaborik if we got back a super prospect like Brayden Schenn. But its not happening. Just get him Richards. I believe everything will work out.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Gaborik still is an elite scorer. He is an elite talent. He is not compared to EC, he is still near the top on our team in scoring and has been hurt all year. Injuries that could have happened to anyone.

Yesterday vs. the flyers we won 7-0 and Gaborik did not have a point. BUT our pack line had a ton of points, because they drew the 2nd pairing of defense men. Teams need to match their top pair with Gabby.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Scooter17

Gaborik has elite talent but he is not an elite competitor. He doesn't compete hard enough.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:30 PM
E Nixson