HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread VII

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2011, 01:49 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 500
Who is this Corey Pronman guy from Hockey Prospectus? Is he credible?
Quote:
26. Vancouver Canucks: The two cornerstones of this systemóCody Hodgson and Jordan Schroederówere both significant disappointments in the AHL and while there is still reason to believe in them, the degree of that belief took a serious dip this year.
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1012
Quote:
Vancouver Canucks

Player Position Selection# HP Rank 1-100
Nicklas Jensen LW 29 25
David Honzik G 71 N/A
Alexandre Grenier RW 90 N/A
Joseph LaBate C 101 42
Ludwig Blomstrand C 120 N/A
Frankie Corrado D 150 N/A
Pathrik Westerholm C 180 64
Henrik Tommernes D 210 N/A

Day 1: I liked the Nicklas Jensen pick, as while there is a decent amount of upside and risk, he went roughly around where I thought his talent level suggested he should.

The Rest: I've heard good things about David Honzik, but while has the physical assets, I'm not really a fan of his game. I liked Jospeh LaBate in viewings; despite the frame, I don't see a ton of ceiling there, but he has the assets to be a decent prospect. Ludwig Blomstrand is a decent lower-role player, but I didn't really see much in terms of skill from at the Under-18's. Frankie Corrado has above-average mobility and a decent skill set, although he will need some improvements to his physical game to make it in the pros. I saw Pathrik Westerholm at the Jr. A Challenge and while I wasn't overly impressed, I saw enough decent skills and smarts from him that I thought he could be an average pro prospect. I heard rumors that Vancouver was considering taking his brother Pontus as well. Henrik Tommernes was a nice little sleeper pick in the seventh round as he really came on this year in the SEL showing above-average skating and fine offensive skills, although defensively he could use some work but wasn't horrid there.

Summary: I thought the Canucks did decent at the draft. I'm not really leaning in one particular direction as they mixed up their risk and projection picks but never made a handful of moves I truly applauded or disagreed with. Saying this was an average draft for them I think would be fair as there is a chance to churn two NHL regulars from this class and maybe one or two players here in an everything goes right scenario.
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1001

Old
07-15-2011, 03:28 AM
thefeebster

Personally, there aren't many things I agree with him on. And I know i'm far from alone with that opinion.

Old
07-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
He had a back injury and sat out the entire year, there is very little news about him and at this point he does not seem to be capable of making the NHL, but I hope I am wrong because if would do wonders for the East-Indian community hear in the Lower-mainland.

I bet he starts out the year in the echl, but hopefully he can push his way into the AHL and we will see from there.
I kind of liked the way Rai was progressing. He potted 40 goals in his last season in Jrs. on a pretty weak team, and he was getting a lot bigger in size as well. He had a good mix of speed and size, and usually players like that have a better chance of atleast making it as a 3rd liner in the NHL.

Old
07-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Illmatic Stoic

He impressed me during preseason and in the rookie tournament. He was one of our best forwards in the Rookie Tournament.

Old
07-23-2011, 02:08 AM
thefeebster

Okay, today, i tried my first ever video editting... it took a long time and it still didn't work properly... Haha I have no idea why it is so small on youtube, but big on Premiere Pro and VLC...

Anyways, here it is:

Hopefully this will let some people see how he plays and hope you guys like it. If it doesn't get removed, i'll try to do an Archibald one soon.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:02 PM
VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Okay, today, i tried my first ever video editting... it took a long time and it still didn't work properly... Haha I have no idea why it is so small on youtube, but big on Premiere Pro and VLC...

Anyways, here it is:

Hopefully this will let some people see how he plays and hope you guys like it. If it doesn't get removed, i'll try to do an Archibald one soon.
Thanks for that, I haven't seen much of him yet. What I was most impressed with was how he dished the puck around in the offensive zone, he really seemed to move the puck around well. That and I love seeing him stand people up at the blueline.

Suave has always been seen as the safer prosepct with Polasek with more upside. Has Polasek closed the gap to become more of a safe prospect or still more of a project?

Old
07-23-2011, 02:31 PM
whoshouse

Thats an awesome youtube video.. thanks!! I personally think Polasek is the 'safer' player.. although maybe Sauve has the higher end potential. I just think Polasek will be a better fit for this team if he indeed makes it.

Old
07-23-2011, 02:43 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC View Post
Thanks for that, I haven't seen much of him yet. What I was most impressed with was how he dished the puck around in the offensive zone, he really seemed to move the puck around well. That and I love seeing him stand people up at the blueline.

Suave has always been seen as the safer prosepct with Polasek with more upside. Has Polasek closed the gap to become more of a safe prospect or still more of a project?
Sauve has never been safe, he's just always had the physical tools and only needed to develop the toolbox. The thing is Polasek has pretty much the exact same physical tools, but he has also demonstrated an ability to think the game very well at the Junior level.

Old
07-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Personally, there aren't many things I agree with him on. And I know i'm far from alone with that opinion.
I don't think I know anyone who agrees with him on prospects and looking back they've been completely off on most of their predictions. Prospects is really NOT a hockey prospectus thing.

Old
07-23-2011, 09:31 PM
thefeebster

Both Sauve and Polasek seem pretty safe to me to at least be a 5-6 defenseman. If i had to decide on upside right now, maybe Polasek because i've liked him for a long time and i think it has it more together than Sauve did before entering the Moose but Sauve had a good finish to his year.

Anyways, I have that Archibald video done. Just waiting on approval to use some photos... Hopefully, by tomorrow? Its much longer because of how much material there is...

Old
07-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

I honestly think Sauve is going to surprise a lot of you. I really see him becoming a top-four Brad Stuart clone. I've been excited about him ever since we drafted him.

07-24-2011, 01:18 AM
thefeebster

Okay, I have the Archibald video uploaded. Same problem with shrinkage. I have no idea... If anyone wants the originals of either video, let me know. I can easily upload those as well.

Anyways, here's archibald:

Old
07-24-2011, 02:46 AM
Illmatic Stoic

Quote:

Anyways, here it is:

I have liked him since before the draft, even though I had only seen stats and some highlights. I have a feeling he will be a top 4 and shocked if he doesn't make the NHL as a #5 or 6 atleast.

Edit: love the picture at the end too.

Old
07-24-2011, 03:53 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Awesome videos there, nice work.

Old
07-24-2011, 05:51 PM
thefeebster

Thanks for the kind words. Still a work in progress with my video editing. But it's fairly addicting. I've gotten a hang with CS Premiere Pro, but do not know why it uploads so oddly. But anyways, I'll beginning to start making videos for the Moose fellows - I'd like to try to get to Sweatt, Sauve, Schroeder, Connauton, Lack, and Tanev if there is enough footage. It'll be my summer long project .

Maybe i'll try to continue this towards next season - College guys like McNally should be easy (Harvard actually has highlights) as well as LaBate (Wisconsin) compared to Price, whose team simply does not put out any videos on him.

Old
07-25-2011, 03:23 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Great work feebster. I am very high on Archibald. I think he's going to have a great team to work with in Chicago and he can do damage all over the ice.

Old
07-25-2011, 12:54 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. Still a work in progress with my video editing. But it's fairly addicting. I've gotten a hang with CS Premiere Pro, but do not know why it uploads so oddly. But anyways, I'll beginning to start making videos for the Moose fellows - I'd like to try to get to Sweatt, Sauve, Schroeder, Connauton, Lack, and Tanev if there is enough footage. It'll be my summer long project .

Maybe i'll try to continue this towards next season - College guys like McNally should be easy (Harvard actually has highlights) as well as LaBate (Wisconsin) compared to Price, whose team simply does not put out any videos on him.
Try using Corel Videostudio Pro x4. Works well for me and uploads everything pretty fast and the right size also gives you tons of options for video type.

Nice vids btw.

Old
07-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Tiranis

Quote:

What are the dimensions of the original videos that you made? Edit: Looks like 640x480 or something like that (4:3). You need to make your default template widescreen so that it fits properly.

Old
07-25-2011, 02:08 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
What are the dimensions of the original videos that you made? Edit: Looks like 640x480 or something like that (4:3). You need to make your default template widescreen so that it fits properly.
Yeah it's 640x480, the template that I use. I will try to fiddle with it at home.

Quick questions: would you guys want videos that contained good highlights as well as highlights where they look pretty bad? Going through the moose highlights yesterday I think I could make a 3 min video alone for one player's mess-ups. Or should I continue to do just the "good" highlights?

Old
07-25-2011, 02:11 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Yeah it's 640x480, the template that I use. I will try to fiddle with it at home.

Quick questions: would you guys want videos that contained good highlights as well as highlights where they look pretty bad? Going through the moose highlights yesterday I think I could make a 3 min video alone for one player's mess-ups. Or should I continue to do just the "good" highlights?
lowlights are probably a bad idea I do like how you include good defensive plays though as well as goals.

Old
07-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 1121
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
I'd like a lowlights video as well, perhaps separately. It would help give better perspective for the prospects and allow some to ground their views a bit. Also lets us see what they need to improve on.

Old
07-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Jobal

You can just separate the good plays from the bad, split the video into 2 parts.

Although what I prefer is a video that shows everything you deem worthy of note, good or bad.

Either way, great videos!

Old
07-25-2011, 10:17 PM
thefeebster

Yes, i figure out what was wrong. I encoded them at a weird setting. But i found the right setting now and re-uploaded the videos/took down the old. If i embed them, there is no difference, but in the YT player, it makes a big difference i think.

Polasek http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96nexfS3SQc
Archibald http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5oR0QumHho

Anywho, finished Sauve first of the Moose fellows (because he had the least highlights to go through with his injured season). No, he wasn't the lowlights guy i was referring to. Would be kind of disheartening to search your name up and find a video full of your mistakes now that i think of it :S. But we'll see as i think fans would enjoy it. I think i could also make a video of really odd Lack goals against as well. Also to note, every game Hodgson played in as a moose and there were highlights for, he was prominent in each one of them even when he wasn't scoring (either their PR really likes him or he really was the best skater for them). I'm guessing the latter.

Edit: Hodgson - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0yphUf_XcA

Last edited by thefeebster: 07-26-2011 at 03:53 AM.
Old
07-26-2011, 12:21 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobal View Post
You can just separate the good plays from the bad, split the video into 2 parts.

Although what I prefer is a video that shows everything you deem worthy of note, good or bad.

Either way, great videos!
I agree. Anything that you think people should take note of when evaluating these guys, so as to provide a more balanced view of our prospects. It would be pretty disheartening to find a video focusing solely on your lowlights, but a mix of both good and bad plays would be really insightful. I like how the video for Archibald showed not only goals but a penalty-killing sequence too, as it's important to know what else players can do aside from their point totals. Same with the Sauve video showing him in his own zone.

Old
07-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Illmatic Stoic

Is low-lights Connauton? I would not be surprised to say the least.

Closed Thread