HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2011, 12:02 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It's a different era for Russian hockey. Nowadays, the vast majority of players coming from that region are high skill, one dimensional players who are nowhere near as disciplined or motivated as the guys who came out of the Soviet school and post-Soviet era.

I'm all for drafting highly skilled players, but skill alone isn't going to make for a quality NHLer.
well i agree with this, but that wasnt my point of highlighting these 5 players.

it was to remind posters that detroit was always known as a team that won with russians while more recently they are winning with swedes.

and while i dont disagree that the young russians now arent as focused nor as disciplined as the gang of 5 were, i do see some good young talent coming from ruissia now and many of these guys are more than one demensional.

burmistrov, tarasenko and anisimov join datsyuk, ov, malkin and kovy as the new wave of russian superstars. there are many others in addition to these guys that are poised to lead the new russian renaissance.

these players may not be a product of the old russian system and they certainly have become ''westernized''- many before they get here, but i still think offensive russian skill, talent and creativity have a place in this league- no matter what coach or team they play for.

Old
04-21-2011, 12:06 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
well i agree with this, but that wasnt my point of highlighting these 5 players.

it was to remind posters that detroit was always known as a team that won with russians while more recently they are winning with swedes.

and while i dont disagree that the young russians now arent as focused nor as disciplined as the gang of 5 were, i do see some good young talent coming from ruissia now and many of these guys are more than one demensional.

burmistrov, tarasenko and anisimov join datsyuk, ov, malkin and kovy as the new wave of russian superstars. there are many others in addition to these guys that are poised to lead the new russian renaissance.

these players may not be a product of the old russian system and they certainly have become ''westernized''- many before they get here, but i still think offensive russian skill, talent and creativity have a place in this league- no matter what coach or team they play for.
Definitely, I was more making a joke if anything by mentioning the Swede Wings. i don't think anybody should forget the Russian force of the 90s even if I was too young to really appreciate them.

That being said, some people always seem to downplay the skill of North American guys which is just unfair, imo.

Either way, like I said, if the guys Canadian, Russian, Finnish, American or Swedish I don't care as long as he makes an impact on this club.

Old
04-21-2011, 12:43 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Definitely, I was more making a joke if anything by mentioning the Swede Wings. i don't think anybody should forget the Russian force of the 90s even if I was too young to really appreciate them.

That being said, some people always seem to downplay the skill of North American guys which is just unfair, imo.

Either way, like I said, if the guys Canadian, Russian, Finnish, American or Swedish I don't care as long as he makes an impact on this club.
theres no doubting the talent of young players north american players. everyone sees it and thus, all teams want to draft the next stamkos, toews, kane, hall or seguin. those guys arent downplayed. quite the opposite actually.

i see this russian bias thing as an advantage for teams like us who should look past that. ignore the bias about not coming over and not playing hard, and draft a player that would have gone much higher had they not been russian. other teams might fear russians, we should not. we should take advantage of other organizations who wont take a russian kid in the first round. to me, thats an invitation to steal a player like with did with cherepanov.

i still do not believe a russian kid would stay home rather than play in nyc for the nyr.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Ranger_Engineer
ordo ab chao

Question for the folks who closely follow the draft-eligible players:

Who is the best shooter/goal-scorer in this draft?

I've read some good things about Puempel's presence around the net.

He will probably be there at 15.

In light of the obvious deficiency of skill among the forwards, particularly in the ability to shoot, I'd take him despite the injury.

Old
04-21-2011, 07:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
hes under 6 ft tall

he isnt a classic 2 way player

and lastly, hes russian
Is he a liability defensively?

Work ethic?

Grit?

Just from looking at video, his skill level is obviously very high.

I love his shot.

He looks like a natural goal scorer.

Old
04-21-2011, 08:16 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Is he a liability defensively? no but hes an offensive player first.

Work ethic? excellent

Grit? not really

Just from looking at video, his skill level is obviously very high. correct

I love his shot. agreed

He looks like a natural goal scorer. he can finish but hes a very dangerous playmaker too
considering he will be one of the youngest players taken in this draft and looking at what hes done this season

41 goals 52 assists 93 total in 82 games and 3rd in scoring in the playoffs

playing major junior as a rookie, hes a very, very good prospect.

http://www.russianprospect.com/inter...t-drafted-high

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 04-21-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old
04-22-2011, 03:01 AM
free0717

Quote:
considering he will be one of the youngest players taken in this draft and looking at what hes done this season

41 goals 52 assists 93 total in 82 games and 3rd in scoring in the playoffs

playing major junior as a rookie, hes a very, very good prospect.

http://www.russianprospect.com/inter...t-drafted-high
So was Nikita Filatov, So was Nick Zheredev and so was Alex Kovalev.

Some of these guys wont spend the time in the AHL paying there dues. They would rather play in the KHL.

I dont mind taking a chance in the 2nd round or later like we did with Anisimov or Grachev. I dont mind being patient with a later round pick.

But as I posted earlier, call me Xenophobic but "No Russians in the First Round!!!!"

Old
04-22-2011, 03:23 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post

Some of these guys wont spend the time in the AHL paying there dues. They would rather play in the KHL.

I dont mind taking a chance in the 2nd round or later like we did with Anisimov or Grachev. I dont mind being patient with a later round pick.

But as I posted earlier, call me Xenophobic but "No Russians in the First Round!!!!"
So were they what? Talented? Plenty of supposedly talented North American kids turn out to be nothing too. Might I remind you of Hugh Jessiman? So you wouldn't have taken Ovechkin? Or Malkin? Or Kovalchuk? Or Semin? Passing on a player because of his country of origin doesn't even qualify as scouting. It's just blatant stupidity. Let's pass on the next Pavel Bure or Pavel Datsyuk or Sergei Fedorov because it's the first round of the draft and all Russians drafted in the first round are magically cursed. Brilliant.

Old
04-22-2011, 04:07 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post

Mr. Kovalev has had himself a hell of a career I would take another one in a heartbeat

Old
04-22-2011, 02:03 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Who was the last impact Russian player drafted in the first round?

You've gotta go back to 2004 to find the last impact players Russia has produced. They have some potential impact players in Tarasenko, etc. but until they prove anything they are just that -- potential.

Edit: Added "in the first round"

Last edited by EvilCorporateLawyer: 04-22-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old
04-22-2011, 02:10 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Who was the last impact Russian player drafted?

You've gotta go back to 2004 to find the last impact players Russia has produced. They have some potential impact players in Tarasenko, etc. but until they prove anything they are just that -- potential.
Kulemin? I'd say he looks to be an "impact player" at the NHL level. Not disagreeing with you necessarily, just pointing out that there was one Russian of note in the 2006 draft, which is hardly enough to discredit the idea that drafting Russians is especially dangerous these days.

RANGERS =
Old
04-22-2011, 02:23 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Kulemin? I'd say he looks to be an "impact player" at the NHL level. Not disagreeing with you necessarily, just pointing out that there was one Russian of note in the 2006 draft, which is hardly enough to discredit the idea that drafting Russians is especially dangerous these days.
Sorry, I should have specified in the first round.

Though I'm not sure Kulemin is even an impact player. More of a guy you surround your impact players with. Solid 2nd line player. Much like Anisimov.

Old
04-22-2011, 03:14 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Sorry, I should have specified in the first round.

Though I'm not sure Kulemin is even an impact player. More of a guy you surround your impact players with. Solid 2nd line player. Much like Anisimov.
I see what you're saying, and agree to the extent that he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who can carry a line. Still, I'd say he's a player who would be a decent enough get in the mid-late first round.

Old
04-22-2011, 03:39 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Thomas' teammate Boone Jenner, could he be on the radar as a second round pick?

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/1365

Got good size, a center and even though we have NHL depth at the position we're lacking minor league Center depth AFAIK

Old
04-22-2011, 03:46 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Thomas' teammate Boone Jenner, could he be on the radar as a second round pick?

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/1365

Got good size, a center and even though we have NHL depth at the position we're lacking minor league Center depth AFAIK
I don't think he lasts until the second round,

Old
04-22-2011, 03:54 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I don't think he lasts until the second round,
Yeah I started checking the rankings and noticed that he was way higher than what I expected.

That's too bad, I like what I've read on the kid.

Old
04-22-2011, 05:01 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I see what you're saying, and agree to the extent that he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who can carry a line. Still, I'd say he's a player who would be a decent enough get in the mid-late first round.
Oh, of course. Main point is none of the ultra skilled Russians as of late have amounted to much. Guys like Zherdev and Filatov have been horrendous in the NHL.

Old
04-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Zil

Quote:
Oh, of course. Main point is none of the ultra skilled Russians as of late have amounted to much. Guys like Zherdev and Filatov have been horrendous in the NHL.
True, but that's really only a reflection on those specific cases. It doesn't lend any substance to the argument that we should avoid someone who we consider the BPA if he happens to be Russian. Not that I think you're making that argument, but somebody else was.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:36 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
True, but that's really only a reflection on those specific cases. It doesn't lend any substance to the argument that we should avoid someone who we consider the BPA if he happens to be Russian. Not that I think you're making that argument, but somebody else was.
I just don't trust the Russian development situation anymore. Khokhlachev might be different as he's a CHL kid, but the Russian CHL kids tend to amount to jack all, as well.

Either way, this draft scares me.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:42 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
I just don't trust the Russian development situation anymore. Khokhlachev might be different as he's a CHL kid, but the Russian CHL kids tend to amount to jack all, as well.

Either way, this draft scares me.
Why should it scare you? This is a draft that every team is going to take a huge risk on. It's hit or miss with virtually every eligible draftee this year, even Couturier has had some question marks.

If our first round selection busts, then that is just fine as long as we took a risk. I do not want the Rangers to play it safe at all. Take the kid who might be a first liner with huge scoring potential, do not take the kid who might be an okay 2nd liner, but will certainly be a great 3rd liner.

Old
04-23-2011, 12:57 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Why should it scare you? This is a draft that every team is going to take a huge risk on. It's hit or miss with virtually every eligible draftee this year, even Couturier has had some question marks.

If our first round selection busts, then that is just fine as long as we took a risk. I do not want the Rangers to play it safe at all. Take the kid who might be a first liner with huge scoring potential, do not take the kid who might be an okay 2nd liner, but will certainly be a great 3rd liner.
It's a scary draft because it's a bad draft. This is a draft where we might not come out with a single legitimate NHL player in. Why else would it be scary? Really not sure why you'd even pose a question like that. It's a much scarier draft than normal.

Old
04-23-2011, 12:59 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Scheifele should be someone we look at at our pick. Big (6'3") center and still growing and filling out. Kid is looking great at the U-18s so far from what I have read. JT Miller should be rising again, as well. After falling for some strange character issues, his U18 performance should bring him back solidly into the first round.

Old
04-23-2011, 03:45 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Scheifele should be someone we look at at our pick. Big (6'3") center and still growing and filling out. Kid is looking great at the U-18s so far from what I have read.
I cannot stress this enough; really hope we pick him.

04-23-2011, 11:59 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I cannot stress this enough; really hope we pick him.
I hope our brass takes whatever big center that they think will make the NHL. Anyone above 6'1 and solid upside? Take him.

Old
04-23-2011, 12:25 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Who was the last impact Russian player drafted in the first round?

Edit: Added "in the first round"

might he have been your guy jon.... rip cherry

also i would say by end next season, alex burmistrov has the game to be that kinda player. and tarasenko and kuznetsov both will be top 6 scorers in the nhl.

the next wave of russian superstars will mostly come from canadian major juniors- to address the concerns of never coming to north america and in fact, to some extent, its happening now.

but for kabanov, who acted like a tool, these young russians who are here now will be difference makers.

i would suggest you watch a sarnia sting game as well.

yakupov and galchenyuk are both filthy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcekD...eature=related

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 04-23-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Closed Thread