HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2011, 03:20 PM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Do we pick 15th or 16th?
We pick 15th.

1-14 are the teams that didn't make the playoffs.

15-30 are 16 playoff teams, picking according to points. NYR had the least points of any playoff team, therefore we get the 15th pick. Picks only get re-shuffled when you reach the Conference Finals. For example, if Buffalo made the Eastern Conference Finals, their pick would jump from 16th to 27th, because they would have the least points of the final 4 teams. If they get eliminated before that, they keep the 16th pick.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
Do you think if we trade Wolski and our 45th pick in the draft that we could move into the 16-25 range?
Think of it this way, if that were US on the other end of that deal how would you feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Should be Grimaldi, but we won't pick him.

It's going to either be Biggs or Kokhlachev out of those guys. And it's a toss-up. Biggs brings something we haven't had in years (big time mean net presence). Kokhlachev brings high skill.
Grimaldi is the kind of guy I used to openly campaign NOT to draft. Too small by Swiss league standards let alone the NHL. BUT, look around the league and see all those waterbugs producing results and it makes me just say what I've been saying the last 7 years - take the best hockey player, and a winner at that, no matter what size. As long as size is added to compliment and maybe protect that small talent it shouldn't be a problem.

Less than a year ago some were complaining that Jeff Skinner was too small to be such a high pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Rocco Grimaldi may be one of the most talented players in the draft. But the kid makes Zuccarello look like Chara. He's too small to take in the first round.

And in the second round im really hoping we get Matthew Nieto.

In the first round give me a forward with decent size 5-11 and up. A high skill level. And excellent work ethic and character.
Was Tyler Ennis too small to take in the first? Would Christian Thomas be viewed as a bad 1st rounder right now if that's where he was picked last June?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
He's 25 and talented...and lazy, careless, inefficient, uninvolved, uninspired, inconsistent, and dumb. That will all work against us, as well.

Get him off of this team. I can't stand players like Wolski. He's a loser, and he's always going to be a loser. If he doesn't get it at this point, it's highly unlikely that he ever will. I'd be shocked if he's on this team by training camp.

SAY NO TO INEFFICIENCY!
3 teams in 2 years at that age is always a bad sign. Even though I think there was more to get out of him than we did, he's not a make or break player and he's replaceable.....if a good GM was replacing him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Wolski + 7th for a 6th. Sign me up.
That's more like it.

Old
04-25-2011, 06:22 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Grimaldi is the kind of guy I used to openly campaign NOT to draft. Too small by Swiss league standards let alone the NHL. BUT, look around the league and see all those waterbugs producing results and it makes me just say what I've been saying the last 7 years - take the best hockey player, and a winner at that, no matter what size. As long as size is added to compliment and maybe protect that small talent it shouldn't be a problem.
People need to look no further than Brian Gionta, Martin St. Louis, Tyler Ennis, Nathan Gerbe, Mike Cammaleri, Danny Briere, Steve Sullivan, Derek Roy and Zack Parise. What do they all have in common? Skill. Grimaldi has that.

I think he has the skill and speed to be a ppg player next season in the NCAA.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
People need to look no further than Brian Gionta, Martin St. Louis, Tyler Ennis, Nathan Gerbe, Mike Cammaleri, Danny Briere, Steve Sullivan, Derek Roy and Zack Parise. What do they all have in common? Skill. Grimaldi has that.

I think he has the skill and speed to be a ppg player next season in the NCAA.
He might be an effective NHL player someday but with all of the smurfs we have on our roster and in our system...picking this kid would be a mistake...a team like the Bruins could afford to draft him because they have tree trunks...

Old
04-25-2011, 07:29 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Think of it this way, if that were US on the other end of that deal how would you feel?

Less than a year ago some were complaining that Jeff Skinner was too small to be such a high pick

Was Tyler Ennis too small to take in the first? Would Christian Thomas be viewed as a bad 1st rounder right now if that's where he was picked last June?

3 teams in 2 years at that age is always a bad sign. Even though I think there was more to get out of him than we did, he's not a make or break player and he's replaceable.....if a good GM was replacing him

That's more like it.
Christian Thomas, who I have a lot of hope for, and want to see him get a look in the NHL in October...its still impossible to know if his size will play a factor.

Jeff Skinner, Tyler Ennis, St. Louis, these guys are exceptions to the rule, they're not the rule.

Grimaldi is smaller then Zuccarello and Thomas...

Skill is great, but there needs to be substance with the skill. Drafting players just for their skill gets you a bust. Drafting a player because of their entire package increases the odds you have an NHL player.

If you're drafting a player that looks too small for Bantam, you better be 200% positive the skill is going to make him an impact player. And by impact player i mean Skinner and St. Louis.

For every Skinner, Ennis, St. Louis, Kane...there are 100 Nigel Dawes.

Its about getting the player most likely to impact your NHL roster. Would we be absolutely 200% positive that Grimaldi is that player?

Old
04-25-2011, 07:29 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
He might be an effective NHL player someday but with all of the smurfs we have on our roster and in our system...picking this kid would be a mistake...a team like the Bruins could afford to draft him because they have tree trunks...
With a 2nd round pick, the Rangers should pick him. He is a major stretch at 15. At 45, not so much. His skills will translate to NCAA well. After that, there is a chance he will bust but I would rather draft Grimaldi who has serious boom potential over a "safe" player.

Old
04-25-2011, 09:36 PM
darko

Quote:
With a 2nd round pick, the Rangers should pick him. He is a major stretch at 15. At 45, not so much. His skills will translate to NCAA well. After that, there is a chance he will bust but I would rather draft Grimaldi who has serious boom potential over a "safe" player.

Potentially Grimaldi (5'6), Thomas (5'9) and Zuke (5'7) on the same team. Not sure if that's such a great idea.

Old
04-25-2011, 09:48 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Im not so sure having more then one player that small is a good idea, let alone three.

Grimaldi shouldn't even be a consideration.

That Kokhlachev kid looks oustanding.

Old
04-25-2011, 10:05 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
He won't be on the board at 35, let alone 45 when we are on the clock.

Old
04-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Potentially Grimaldi (5'6), Thomas (5'9) and Zuke (5'7) on the same team. Not sure if that's such a great idea.
Thomas is still a prospect. Zuccarello is already finding it tough to cement his spot even though he's produced.

You never know who's going to be around when the dust settles. Those two could bust and Grimaldi could be the one Ennis we have on the team.

Old
04-26-2011, 07:38 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Grimaldi isn't just kinda smallish, he's TINY. Let's not forget just how good MZA looked before he came to the NHL - he led arguably the second best league in the world, where he played against grown men, in scoring. And he's finding it a tough job to adjust to the NHL.

And people want to add a guy who would need a growth spurt to reach MZA's size with our 1st rd pick?!?! It's not like we can perform a Young Frankenstein experiment with our previous 1st rd pick to swap size for offensive skill. I'd throw my remote at the TV.

If he's around when our 2nd 2nd rounder comes up, then MAYBE you take him. Otherwise, let someone else take that risk - we've got enough undersized players in the organization.

Old
04-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Grimaldi isn't just kinda smallish, he's TINY. Let's not forget just how good MZA looked before he came to the NHL - he led arguably the second best league in the world, where he played against grown men, in scoring. And he's finding it a tough job to adjust to the NHL.

And people want to add a guy who would need a growth spurt to reach MZA's size with our 1st rd pick?!?! It's not like we can perform a Young Frankenstein experiment with our previous 1st rd pick to swap size for offensive skill. I'd throw my remote at the TV.

If he's around when our 2nd 2nd rounder comes up, then MAYBE you take him. Otherwise, let someone else take that risk - we've got enough undersized players in the organization.
KHL is a better league and 'it's not really even close'.

But anyways here's a nice piece of an article about Joel Armia:

"Joel Armia, F Finland- Took charge up front for Finland and proved himself a solid first-round selection with his offensive performance. His big frame needs work to add mass and strength, but he's got a long stride and the ability to generate speed and separation. He's still a little gangly and not overly strong on his skates, but getting there. A vicious killer between the hashmarks- wants the puck and knows what to do with it when he gets it. One of the best pure goal scorers in the draft and impressed us with his vision and playmaking skills in this tourney as well. Creative and a better puck distributor than we gave him credit for. Not very physical, but not a soft player, either. Uses his trunk and long limbs to create space and bull his way to the net. Doesn't speak English very well yet, but uses two very important words often: "puck" and "score". His effort without the puck is what is holding him back from a top-10 selection in our view. He can be lackadaisical and is inconsistent in his backchecking efforts. If its a maturity thing, he could be a homerun pick, but if he's only motivated offensively, then he's a one-dimensional guy and may never be as good a player as he should be."

http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot...d-fallers.html

Would love to have a Finnish kid to root for in the Rangers again.
I was hoping for Granlund last year, but we ended up with.. you know..

Really hoping Armia slips to us

Last edited by Latex*: 04-26-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old
04-26-2011, 10:46 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

armia is an interesting player. not in love with his stride, but he can motor. when ever i watch him he looks a little dorky with his goofy stride. hes a little raw but hes got good size and if he fills out, hell be a load to handle.

has great shot and solid scoring intincts. hes a guy who will find ways to score goals. i like his hands and i especially like his work around the net.

on the other hand, hes not a physical guy and he wont do alot when and if he makes an attempt to get back..

if hes there when we come up, hes someone i think we should look at. might be able to move down and still get him.

as for grimaldi, the kid is a winner. hes beyond small though. if he were 6 feet tall- heck even 5'8, he would be one of the top players in this draft. his offensive skills are scary good.

2nd round i would take him without reservation. 1st round, not so much.

Old
04-26-2011, 11:12 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I'd rather get Nieto in the second round. He's about Callahan's size, has grit, skill, speed, character, work ethic, leadership qualities.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:45 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
If Grimaldi was 6 foot tall, he'd be the #1 pick in the draft. Grimaldi will still grow another inch or two and fill out some. Best thing about him? Almost impossible to knock off the puck even against college aged kids. Nose for the dirty areas, too.

Grimaldi is my pick, but I know we won't grab him there.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Don't know why, but I've got a feeling the Red Wings will pick Grimaldi.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:48 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Some smart team that drafts better than us will pick him.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:49 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Because a team like the Wings can afford the most out of many NHL franchises to take a flyer on a pick that could bust or boom.

With their luck he'll flourish though. With ours he'll shrink and get arthritis in his wrist or something down in Hartford.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:28 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
I'm really hoping Zibanejad falls to 10 or 11, and we can package #15 with #45 to move up and nab him.

Alas, his stock is skyrocketing, so perhaps it's a blind hope.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:36 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I'm really hoping Zibanejad falls to 10 or 11, and we can package #15 with #45 to move up and nab him.

Alas, his stock is skyrocketing, so perhaps it's a blind hope.
I would package are 45 to move up, but I would want to be in the top 8. Not the top 10.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:48 PM
azrok22

Quote:
I would package are 45 to move up, but I would want to be in the top 8. Not the top 10.
I don't think 45 is close to enough to get you to spot 8. Remember the Staal trade -- 16 plus 40something to move to 12. There's a few more examples that suggest the price to move from 15-16 to 11-12 is a second rounder.

Even if you added 15, 45, and the Cap pick (let's call it 58 at this point), I think that only gets you to 9, with a very slight possibility of 8.

You're better off targeting a guy and hoping he falls to the 10-12 range, where a trade up is much more likely, imo.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:50 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I don't think 45 is close to enough to get you to spot 8. Remember the Staal trade -- 16 plus 40something to move to 12. There's a few more examples that suggest the price to move from 15-16 to 11-12 is a second rounder.

Even if you added 15, 45, and the Cap pick (let's call it 58 at this point), I think that only gets you to 9, with a very slight possibility of 8.

You're better off targeting a guy and hoping he falls to the 10-12 range, where a trade up is much more likely, imo.
I think the ****tyness of this draft will help a bit with moving around in it. Granted, we'd probably need to add something small to sweeten the pot, which I am fine with.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:56 PM
azrok22

Quote:
I think the ****tyness of this draft will help a bit with moving around in it. Granted, we'd probably need to add something small to sweeten the pot, which I am fine with.
I think the general ****tiness of the draft actually hurts your desire to move into the top 8. Since there's a "notable" drop off after 8, teams are going to be very hesitant to drop out of those slots, let alone drop all the way from 8 to 15.

Old
04-26-2011, 03:04 PM
NYR425

What are the chances of Biggs falling to us this draft... I have not started to research this draft yet, but the little i have heard about Biggs interests me. What are the thoughts here.

Old
04-26-2011, 03:23 PM
free0717

I want to move up and draft Ryan Murphy. The next Brian Leetch

Closed Thread