HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft Talk - Part III - Burnside Still <3s NJD Edition.

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2011, 08:13 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

vCash: 500
I'm not sold on Hamilton at all. Larsson, Murphy, or a different position.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I disagree. I think Hamilton is the real deal. But I don't know if Lou and Conte will pick him. There are more quality centres available.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:30 AM
NJDFan4Life

rickall if were picking outside of top 10 is who i want

Old
03-10-2011, 08:31 AM
NJDFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I disagree. I think Hamilton is the real deal. But I don't know if Lou and Conte will pick him. There are more quality centres available.
i agree if couturier is avaliable we will likely take him but if he is gone and we are picking a center i'll take Ryan Strome my grandfather used to scout in the OHL for Seult St Marie and Kingston and he says people are saying Ryan Strome could be the steal of the draft but we shall have to wait and see

Old
03-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I agree with that. When all is said and done, I believe Ryan Strome will be one of the best players out of this draft, if he is developed properly. And you know the Devils would. If we don't make the playoffs, I just hope we have a chance to pick him.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:39 AM
NJDFan4Life

Quote:
I agree with that. When all is said and done, I believe Ryan Strome will be one of the best players out of this draft, if he is developed properly. And you know the Devils would. If we don't make the playoffs, I just hope we have a chance to pick him.
same here from the videos i have watched of strome this kid has unbelieveable hands and a wicked shot and has speed to burn. The only thing i dislike about couturier is his skating with his size he could be a great winger and a kovy-zajac-parise couturier-josefson-tedenby line could be lethal and then have henrique and steckel maybe for our 3rd and 4th line centers for the future could be really dangerous but i know lou and conte will pick a good player we are known for doing that very well

Old
03-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

If we miss the playoffs, I'm happy we'll still have the highest pick we've had in a long time. And I trust Lou and Conte to turn it into someone good.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:49 AM
NJDFan4Life

Quote:
If we miss the playoffs, I'm happy we'll still have the highest pick we've had in a long time. And I trust Lou and Conte to turn it into someone good.
they usually always do if we are in top 5 pick though if we miss i would love to snag RNH having a playmaker center like him setting up Kovy would be amazing for this team down the road just imagine a Zajac-RNH-Henrique-Steckal future down the middle damn thats scary stuff would you agree.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieharddevilsfan30 View Post
rickall if were picking outside of top 10 is who i want
What about Zack Philips, I've read some good things about this kid, as a player and person.

Old
03-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Ripshot 43

When I look at our minor league system the only position I see any depth to be excited about is our D. Couple that with how deep everyone says that the D is in next years draft. I would say drafting a D with this years first is out of the question unless we move up for Larsson, which I would package however many draft picks it would take to move up to get him. I see us taking the BPA out of the forwards available when we draft. With Tedenby, Palmeri and Zharkov now fixtures on the big club we have depleted a lot of our AHL talent so even winger is a need for us now. That being said, if a center and a wing are both available and are rated the same by the devils staff. I believe we take the center.

Old
03-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieharddevilsfan30 View Post
they usually always do if we are in top 5 pick though if we miss i would love to snag RNH having a playmaker center like him setting up Kovy would be amazing for this team down the road just imagine a Zajac-RNH-Henrique-Steckal future down the middle damn thats scary stuff would you agree.
Speedy playmaking center for Kovy would be sick. I can see them flying up the ice now. Are you saying Yayo is moved to wing?

Old
03-10-2011, 04:31 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

If I had to chose between Hamilton or Murphy... I'm going with Ryan Murphy. This kid has the potential to produce some offense from the blueline and when I look at the garbage we have at the moment, someone with his skillset would be welcomed more so then Hamilton IMO. With our current picks we made in the last 3 years, Hamilton doesn't bring anything different then Urbom or Merrill while Murphy would bring something else to the table.

The kid has elite skating and in this league, skating is the #1 asset plus he has excellent vision to feed our all-star forwards and can shoot the puck pretty well. We have a ton of guys who will play that SAH style and adding a guy that can get the puck up the ice by a end to end rush or snipe a pass tape to tape from behind his net is the type of guy we've been waiting for since Niedermayer but he just doesn't have the defensive side of the game.... yet.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

He can learn how to play defensively, at least at DB level. The question is...will Lou go risky way for the 3rd time after Bergfors and Tedenby? With his best pick in years? All our wishes and analyses are nice, but try to look at it realistically, we both know him more than enough to say he probably also thinks Hamilton > Murphy. Hope Conte has a different opinion.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:47 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
He can learn how to play defensively, at least at DB level. The question is...will Lou go risky way for the 3rd time after Bergfors and Tedenby? With his best pick in years? All our wishes and analyses are nice, but try to look at it realistically, we both know him more than enough to say he probably also thinks Hamilton > Murphy. Hope Conte has a different opinion.
Every single prospect is a "risk" but when you've been tagged as a top #5 talent like Murphy has for the past year and half, I'd call him a safer pick then Tedendy and Bergfors who were scouted as a mid round picks.

Hamilton has that Bouwmeester feeling to his game and that's not the kind of player I want when we need offense from our blueline. Murphy has the total package to mesh with the forwards we have and that's what we need more so then a top 4 d-men that will be steady but not electric.

We have the horses to have a solid transition at the forward position... we just need to acquire/draft guys that can start the freaking thing.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Ok, fair enough, but in weaker draft, that doesn`t necessarily mean his defense is above average. Just sayin.

Do you realize U20 guy isn`t the solution at all? I know you do. Well, better than nothing, isn`t it? I can take that, but I`m not sold on him that much.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:11 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Ok, fair enough, but in weaker draft, that doesn`t necessarily mean his defense is above average. Just sayin.

Do you realize U20 guy isn`t the solution at all? I know you do. Well, better than nothing, isn`t it? I can take that, but I`m not sold on him that much.
I'd have to disagree with you.

Rookies are progressing faster and it's not out of the ordinary to see youngsters step in and produce right away. I'm not comparing Murphy with Fowler but Cam is playing some solid hockey for the Ducks and is flying under the radar for the Calder when he should be in the same conversations as Skinner, Hall, Grabner, etc.

I'm not saying that Murphy can jump into a top 4 role next year and rack up 30 points but who knows... weirder things have happend in the past.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Rookies are progressing faster and it's not out of the ordinary to see youngsters step in and produce right away. I'm not comparing Murphy with Fowler but Cam is playing some solid hockey for the Ducks and is flying under the radar for the Calder when he should be in the same conversations as Skinner, Hall, Grabner, etc.

I'm not saying that Murphy can jump into a top 4 role next year and rack up 30 points but who knows... weirder things have happend in the past.
Of the D that made the NHL immediately after being drafted, most were late birthdates who generally had an extra year of development because of cutoff dates. Ie, all 1992 birthdates are thrown into the same OHL Draft, but guys born after September 15th would have to wait an extra year to be NHL draft eligible.

All the guys recently (aside from Bogosian) who cracked the NHL immediately were late birthdates. Bogosian was in a man's body at 18, which Murphy won't be. No need to rush guys, Alex Pietrangelo looks pretty good now that he got sent back to junior twice.

2008:
Doughty: December, 1989
Bogosian: July, 1990
Schenn: November, 1989

2009:
Hedman: December, 1990
Kulikov: October, 1990

2010:
Fowler: December, 1991

Old
03-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

And I`m not saying you are saying you do.

I just don`t think that we can afford to rely on "just-drafted" young PMD (again - blind hope for Urbom, Tao sort of, Fayne apparently came out of this world) in any significant way unless he`s close to Fowler in two-way play. I`m talking about very first expectations GM should have + expectations I have. Of course I`d be thrilled if he can jump right in like Cam, I`m just being hesitant and careful with my expectations on any of those prospects more than I was in the past, that`s all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Of the D that made the NHL immediately after being drafted, most were late birthdates who generally had an extra year of development because of cutoff dates. Ie, all 1992 birthdates are thrown into the same OHL Draft, but guys born after September 15th would have to wait an extra year to be NHL draft eligible.

All the guys recently (aside from Bogosian) who cracked the NHL immediately were late birthdates. Bogosian was in a man's body at 18, which Murphy won't be. No need to rush guys, Alex Pietrangelo looks pretty good now that he got sent back to junior twice.

2008:
Doughty: December, 1989
Bogosian: July, 1990
Schenn: November, 1989

2009:
Hedman: December, 1990
Kulikov: October, 1990

2010:
Fowler: December, 1991
Thank.you.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:41 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Murphy would bring some offense to our blueline and is the prospect with the best skill level out of everyone in the draft maybe except RNH. I'm really not impressed with Hamilton to be quite honest. He's a solid player but I wouldn't take him with a top 5 pick and if the usual suspects are off the board and I'd have to choose between Murphy and Hamilton, I'd take Murphy.

Like I said before, I see Hamilton turning out like Bouwmeester and maybe that's why I'd rather go with someone like Murphy who plays like Boyle/Keith/Enstrom/Visnovsky/Letang/etc.

With the way Lou operates, there's no way we select a prospect this summer and see him in our starting lineup a couple of months later but like I said... stranger things have can happen. Even if Murphy takes 3 years to make it to the bigs, he'd bring a new edge to our current cast of very solid forwards and would improve our transition game + our PP... something that needs a major boost.

Last edited by DEVILS ALL THE WAY*: 03-10-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old
03-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

It`s ok, I understand you and I agree (I`m a big fan of Dan Boyle btw.), but I don`t think he`s ready to jump in Lemaire`s NJD team next year. Larsson as a mid pairing D might be. Hamilton as a bottom pairing after half year spent in A might be.

Murphy needs a year extra in A IMO, but he can prove me wrong if we draft him.

Old
03-10-2011, 06:03 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
It`s ok, I understand you and I agree (I`m a big fan of Dan Boyle btw.), but I don`t think he`s ready to jump in Lemaire`s NJD team next year. Larsson as a mid pairing D might be. Hamilton as a bottom pairing after half year spent in A might be.

Murphy needs a year extra in A IMO, but he can prove me wrong if we draft him.
I edited my post but yeah, Murphy or any rookie for that matter would be a massive longshot to crack our team at the start of next season but stranger things can happen. If EJ McGuire says that Murphy can make the jump from juniors to pros... I'll take his word on it but once again, Lou would most probably send him back to Kitchener after camp.

Having a defense with prospects such as Murphy, Urbom, Merrill, Gelinas and Burlon would be ****ing solid and would make our forwards that much better. Here's a list of what I'd consider as my top 5 for each position, in order...

Forwards
1) RNH
2) Couturier
3) Landeskog
4) Huberdeau
5) Strome

D-men
1) Larsson
2) Murphy
3) Hamilton
4) Beaulieu
5) Siemens

Last edited by DEVILS ALL THE WAY*: 03-10-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old
03-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Couturier > Landeskog, eh?

Old
03-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Brodeur

Haven't heard Hamilton having Bouwmeester's skating ability. Just from what I was reading, Brent Seabrook seemed like Hamilton's upside.

At this rate, we're probably playing out of a spot to take Hamilton anyways.

=========

Other wacky fun non-playoff scenario. Say we finish 8th, win the draft lottery and move up to #4. And say the new order is Edmonton, Ottawa, Florida, New Jersey.

Edmonton takes Nugent-Hopkins #1. Ottawa with Karlsson, Rundblad, and Cowen on D decide they don't need Larsson. Overly complicated three way deal.....

Ottawa: 3rd overall pick (Landeskog), 2012 2nd rounder (NJ)
Florida: 2nd overall pick (Couturier), RW David Clarkson, D Mark Fraser
New Jersey: G Scott Clemmensen, 2011 3rd rounder (WSH)

Florida gets a much needed winger and some salary to help push them to the floor. Essentially they would have swapped Dennis Wideman for Clarkson/Fraser (both of whom would be reunited with Pete DeBoer, assuming he's not fired soon). Taking Couturier at #2 also means he'd have an artificially high cap hit (Seguin's is 3.55 million, but only 900K in salary) which would further help them towards the floor in 2011-12.

Ottawa gets the photo opp of Alfredsson handing Landeksog a Senators jersey. Landeskog can then show the autographed Senators jersey that Alfredsson signed when Landeskog was 11. Sens get a free pick in 2012 for sliding down one spot.

And as part of the deals, the other teams agree to let Mr. Larsson slide to us. And at a slightly lesser price since he'd be the 4th overall pick. We take on the final year of Clemmensen's deal and he serves as backup to Marty one more time.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($6.000m) / Travis Zajac ($3.887m) / Nick Palmieri ($0.801m)
Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.666m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / Mattias Tedenby ($0.875m)
Brian Rolston ($5.062m) / Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)
Rod Pelley ($0.550m) / Dave Steckel ($1.100m) / Matt Corrente ($0.660m)
Vladimir Zharkov ($0.671m) / Scrub McScrub ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Colin White ($3.000m) / Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m)
Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Adam Larsson ($3.100m)
Bryce Salvador ($2.900m) / Mark Fayne ($0.542m)
Matt Taormina ($0.510m)

GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($5.200m) / Scott Clemmensen ($1.200m)

BUYOUTS: Jay Pandolfo ($0.833m) / Andrew Peters ($0.166m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,151,834; BONUSES: $240,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $348,166

[/pipe dream]

Old
03-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Even if this was not just a pipe dream, but reality, I wouldn`t want Clemmer back, seriously.

Old
03-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

I'd take Clemmer back if it meant getting Larsson.

It is a pipe dream because we should finish ahead of the Islanders who would probably take Larsson.

Closed Thread