HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Stamkos is available as an RFA

Old
03-08-2011, 12:33 AM
mig174

vCash: 500
If Stamkos is available as an RFA

If the Lightning fail to sign Stamkos by July 1st, he becomes an RFA. There are indications that they are miles apart on a deal. The Leafs have cap space and need a first line centre. Stamkos is a young centre and a generational talent.

If Stamkos is available July 1st, should Burke go after him aggressively? He would most likely have to offer a contract in the realm of what Kovalchuk got, if not more, in order that the Bolts don't match. He would also lose the next 4 first round picks. Coincidentally, do you believe Stamkos would fetch league maximum (11.43/year if I recall correctly) on the market?

Last edited by mig174: 03-08-2011 at 12:39 AM.
mig174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 12:34 AM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig174 View Post
If the Lightning fail to sign Stamkos by July 1st, he becomes an RFA. There are indications that they are miles apart on a deal.
Lamierello hasn't even started negotiations with Parise yet.

They have all summer to sign him. Stamkos will be re-signed.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Stephen

Throw everything at him. I also like that he's struggling a bit in a way since that could be a major point of contention: maybe the Lightning want to low ball, maybe he wants to max out and not give the discount.

I'd throw everything at him to re-iterate. The Leafs have some prospect depth now from the 2008 draft:

Stamkos
Kessel
Kadri
Colborne
Grabovski
Kulemin
Lupul
MacArthur
Armstrong

is a pretty respectable top 9 for the next 2-3 years. And adding a kid like Stamkos will just hot house development/everything.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 12:39 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

1. He is not a generational talent.

2. Burke does not believe in giving offer sheets to players.

3. He would need to be given a ridiculous offer in order to prevent the Bolts from matching. This team can't afford to tie up as much cap space as it would cost due to there being multiple holes that still need to be filled. Also, the loss of four 1st round draft picks is a big deal at this point because there are too many question marks with the Leafs.

MoreMogilny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Srsly

Stamkos was -4 in 2009-2010. The Leafs don't need anymore defensive liabilities. Now then Matt Cooke was +14, there's some character we need to add to our boys. Oh yeah... Kessel sucks and we should fire Wilson.

Seriously though, I don't think he's a good fit for Toronto at the moment and we're probably low on his priority list(although given he is Canadian you never know I suppose.) He'd probably demand a kings ransom and our team would benefit from a few players given today's cap driven NHL. He'd probably prefer a contender as well.

Srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 12:50 AM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
1. He is not a generational talent.
Disagree.

He won't be available, TB matches anything the Leafs throw at him.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 12:55 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
Disagree.

He won't be available, TB matches anything the Leafs throw at him.
Please explain to me how Steven Stamkos is a generational talent.

The notion of him being the type of player that only comes around, well, once or twice a generation is ridiculous.

He isn't significantly better than his peers at all.

MoreMogilny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 01:11 AM
Kessley Snipes

If Tampa matches a ridiculous offer then that also works in our favour since it may potentially screw up their Cap for the next decade.

Kessley Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 01:50 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz14

Don't we need our first rounder this year to sign him to an offer sheet of significant value?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz14 View Post
Don't we need our first rounder this year to sign him to an offer sheet of significant value?
.....No.

RFA offer sheets can be signed starting on July 1st. The compensation is 2012 draft picks (and beyond).

The Leafs, as of this point, have all of their 2012 draft picks except for the 3rd and 7th rounders.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 01:59 AM
stides*

Just curious, not familar with all aspects of the business side of hockey, but why do you have to give *4* first round draft picks? Would you have to give up 4 first rounders for any RFA or is it just because it's Stamkos? Where do they get 4 first rounders from?

stides* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 01:59 AM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz14 View Post
Free agency doesn't start until after the draft.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srsly View Post
Stamkos was -4 in 2009-2010. The Leafs don't need anymore defensive liabilities. Now then Matt Cooke was +14, there's some character we need to add to our boys. Oh yeah... Kessel sucks and we should fire Wilson.

Seriously though, I don't think he's a good fit for Toronto at the moment and we're probably low on his priority list(although given he is Canadian you never know I suppose.) He'd probably demand a kings ransom and our team would benefit from a few players given today's cap driven NHL. He'd probably prefer a contender as well.
I think the Leafs would be close to the top of his list. He's literally always talking about being from Toronto and the Leafs in his interviews.

Old
03-08-2011, 02:06 AM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

honestly... I truly feel stamkos is overrated and st.louis is underrated. stamkos without st. louis= 40/40 guy at most imo.

I would pay him 9.9/mil a year(not literally) if I knew he could put up his numbers without st.louis though.

I do not want to pay 4+ 1st rounders, it would hinder us like crazy in the future.(if we get him who's gonna pass to stamkos or even kessel? we need pmd, elite playmaking forwards,etc)it's too much strain on our current roster finiancially, future-wise, and depth-wise for just 50 more goals.(yeah I said it!)

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 02:06 AM
seanlinden

Toronto should pass on Steven Stamkos for the same reason that they should pass on Jeff Carter when it was speculated that he might be available -- a shoot-first centre IS NOT what Toronto needs.

Would it be nice to add Stamkos? sure, and at the right price you obviously change the makeup of your team, but we should not be the team willing to pay the most for him. When you've already got Phil Kessel on the right wing at a reasonable $5.4m, it makes absolutely no sense to go out and give up 4 first rounders so you can pay Stamkos $10m per season, especially when you don't have the playmaking wingers to feed a guy like that.

Stamkos is most valuable to his current team with Marty St. Louis locked up for the next few years on a dangerous 35+ contract. They should sign him. We should go after the players who address major deficiencies on our team -- playmaking top 6 forwards, top 6 forwards with size + excellent cycling ability, and puckmoving defencemen.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 02:14 AM
MSP4LYFE*

TB wants to resign him, and he wants to resign, a deal will get done...

Also, anyone who wouldn't be interested in Stamkos (regardless of the price) is out to lunch, there isn't a single piece or realistic package of pieces that wouldn't be worth it to acquire Steven Stamkos.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

we'll never get him, ever

tampa isnt stupid, they aren't gonna be like "yeah, we dont want to pay too much for our franchise player, we'll take some picks for him, thanks"

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 02:18 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP4LYFE View Post
TB wants to resign him, and he wants to resign, a deal will get done...

Also, anyone who wouldn't be interested in Stamkos (regardless of the price) is out to lunch, there isn't a single piece or realistic package of pieces that wouldn't be worth it to acquire Steven Stamkos.
I can think of one -- the price to acquire him via offer sheet -- 4 first rounders and $10m X multiple years.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 02:38 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah, not going to happen. I'm interested to see how Stamkos would fair without a playmaking forward feeding him tape to tape passes. If he was here he wouldn't have someone like St.Louis, he may not see the same success. I don't believe he is a generational talent, he is very good, but not on that level imo.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Stephen

Why does everyone assume that playing with St. Louis automatically makes Stamkos so amazing? Obviously they're both great, but Lecavalier couldn't get things going with him, and the Lightning were terrible enough to get Stamkos with St. Louis, and St. Louis' numbers were declining before Stamkos exploded...

Old
03-08-2011, 03:31 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stides View Post
Just curious, not familar with all aspects of the business side of hockey, but why do you have to give *4* first round draft picks? Would you have to give up 4 first rounders for any RFA or is it just because it's Stamkos? Where do they get 4 first rounders from?
It all depends on how much he signed for. If he signed for 3 mill, I believe its a first and third. But they must be your picks. If Leafs had, say, Philis first next year but not their own, they cant sign him to one unless they get their pick back.

But I doubt he leaves. Tavares is alot more realistic next year. Tampa is winning, Stevie Y was his idol growing up and he gets to stay in Florida for the winter. Why would he leave?

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 03:35 AM
mapes

Quote:
Back to back Richard trophies..

Old
03-08-2011, 03:36 AM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
Quote:

The notion of him being the type of player that only comes around, well, once or twice a generation is ridiculous.

He isn't significantly better than his peers at all.
Who are his peers? This sounds like more of a debate on what a generational talent is.

With 9 goals in the last 18 games, that'll be two 50-goal seasons by the age of 21. It's more than the "Great 8" can boast.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 03:40 AM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig174 View Post
If the Lightning fail to sign Stamkos by July 1st, he becomes an RFA. There are indications that they are miles apart on a deal. The Leafs have cap space and need a first line centre.
SOURCE(s) ?

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 03:41 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srsly View Post

You know why Stamkos doesn't put up better plus minuses? He KILLS it on the powerplay, where you dont get a plus. You know how bad our powerplay is.. he'd help that ALOT

He said during his draft year he was part of Tank Nation because he really wanted them to draft him. I bet we'd be his second choice.. next to Tampa, though.