HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Stamkos is available as an RFA

Old
03-10-2011, 03:44 PM
bluebarry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by niroopg View Post
You all are on crack. Everyone talks about offer sheets. While a great concept, it is not used. Only 6 offer sheets have been presented since the lockout, only 1 resulted in player movement.

On top of that, there is an element of disrespect when you offer sheet another team. You essential break a GM-GM relationship permanently. This concept is why Burke gave up 2 x 1sts for Kessel. And this is why Burke got the return that he did from dealing Kaberle. It is called mutual respect.

Burkes not going to break a relationship with one of the up and coming GMs in Yzerman. It will never happen.
i agree with that however if stamkos is unwilling to sign a long term contract with tb
in effect showing signs of wanting out. tb is forced to trade him now for fear of loosing him later the ufa. That's basically what happened with kessel. It's also why gm's don't NEED to offer sheet, and i prefer Burkes approach to recongnize situations where a rfa wants out, realizes that the gm is being forced to trade or possibly face being offer sheeted or loosing high quality player in the near future and negotiates on more equitable terms.

I'm not going to evaluate the probability of toronto aquiring stamkos but i don't think it's a done deal for tb long term. They're in tough financially, generational players are a luxury that small market teams cannot realistically afford. If you can't spend to the cap you cannot afford the highest paid players its impossible because their simply can't be enough money left over to go around.

Tb cannot hold on to both vinny and stamkos long term. Impossible (unless they spend to the cap which they cannot commit to long term)
vinny's contract will not be an easy one to move.... i think this will get interesting

bluebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:04 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by niroopg View Post
You all are on crack. Everyone talks about offer sheets. While a great concept, it is not used. Only 6 offer sheets have been presented since the lockout, only 1 resulted in player movement.

On top of that, there is an element of disrespect when you offer sheet another team. You essential break a GM-GM relationship permanently. This concept is why Burke gave up 2 x 1sts for Kessel. And this is why Burke got the return that he did from dealing Kaberle. It is called mutual respect.

Burke is not going to break a relationship with one of the up and coming GMs in Yzerman. It will never happen.
This. +1

However, I would add that the low number of offer sheets is not representative of a lack of RFA movement. Kessel doesn't count among that number because he was traded for.

Likewise, if Stamkos is too expensive for Tampa Bay, and Yzerman is forced to deal him, then GMs will start kicking around Offer Sheet like trades.

In most cases, offer sheets are done by divisional rivals, or at the least intra-conference. If the team matches it can cost them valuable cap space, and breaking ties with a rival GM from another conference for that makes no sense.

I can very much see Tallon making an obscene Offer Sheet on Stamkos.

Huge cap room, needs a superstar, Tampa Bay is a divisional rival.

If anyone is doing it, it's Dale Tallon.

If Yzerman doesn't think he is getting Stamkos signed before July 1st, he'll set a price at four 1sts + and see who comes to the table.

Guaranteed Burke drops an offer.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:09 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I give you guys a 100% lead pipe lock/guarantee/promise that the Cap is not an issue for us regarding Stamkos. Especially seeing as how Kubina and Ohlund SUCK. We'd waive them if cap space became an issue, but it isn't a worry. We have Gagne coming off the books, life is good.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 05:32 PM
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Not even worth discussing as he will certainly be staying with Tampa. True franchise players/superstars do not leave teams as RFAs, period. Besides, Burke "does not believe in offer sheets."

Quit making stuff up. Burke is fine with offer sheets as they are part of the CBA. What he doesn't like is GM's/Player's going behind his back when he thought a new contract was in place.

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote