HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Stamkos is available as an RFA

Old
03-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Ari91

vCash: 500
I think Tampa will throw everything they possibly can at him so that he can stay. The Leafs may be his childhood team but he seems to really like it in Tampa and I can easily seeing some sort of compromise being reached that will allow him to stay there for at least the next 3-5 years.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:58 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post
Unless you plan for each of your (4) 1st rd. picks to be taken in the 20th overall - 30 overall range, you wouldn't. Stamkos is closer to Staal/Thornton/Sundin/Modano than he is to Crosby/Ovechkin/Jagr/Forsberg/Lindros in terms of shift-to-shift impact. Frankly, I think playing consistent minutes with Martin St. Louis, a former Art Ross winner, benefits the former Sarnia Sting moreso than it does the ex-UV Catamount.
I agree, St. Louis is the best player on the team right now but that will change in the future.

Even if Stamkos is in that first group I would have no qualms about the cost of an offer sheet. Don't know where the picks would end up exactly but a playoff spot would be virtually assured.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:58 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Please explain to me how Steven Stamkos is a generational talent.

The notion of him being the type of player that only comes around, well, once or twice a generation is ridiculous.

He isn't significantly better than his peers at all.
unless you are talking about Crosby ...the difference between the 2 is minimal anyways. ...so either, both are generational talents OR neither are.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:03 AM
edwardslane

Tampa is in quite the situation..

They need to sign Hedmen after this year too.. he's going to get a nice raise.. watch him breakout next year in his final contract year during RFA status on his entry level.

If the leafs offered say 9 million per season the lightning would have a very hard time matching.. they'd have some huge contracts.. Malone is pretty hard to move as well. Lecaviler is making 10 million per season.. should be interesting

who cares if the leafs gave up firsts.. they'd be a playoffteam with kessel and stamkos plus all the young talent they've got in the system.. kadri and colburne.. Mckegg, ross, blacker gardiner etc.. Reimer's emergence.. schenn and phaneuf + aulie.

Leafs are close to becoming a top team they're not that far away.. someone like stamkos would make them good for a long time

edwardslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

people who say we don't need stamkos because he's a shoot first center need to stop playing garbage video games. a line does not have to consist of power forwad-playmaking center-sniper in order to be successfull.

if lupul didn't work you could slot macarthur or even try kadri if he's ready onto a line with stamkos and kessel. they both seem to be pretty damn good passers. teams wouldn't be able to over commit to one player or they'd be leaving the other one open. two of the leagues biggest scoring treats on one line would be deadly. you could even split them up and just have them together on the powerplay.

trust me, if the leafs had a chance at him they would make room. this kid bleeds blue and white and would absolutely tear it up here. he trains with gary ******* roberts in the offseason. that alone should sell you on him. stamkos > everyone on our current roster.

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Chuck Lefley*

people on this thread are completely insane if they think that Stevie Y is going to let Stamkos walk. Tampa's ownership gave him full control over the team. I could easily see them trading Lecavalier if they need to free up serious money to sign Stamkos.

Chuck Lefley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:13 AM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
unless you are talking about Crosby ...the difference between the 2 is minimal anyways. ...so either, both are generational talents OR neither are.
No. Anything Stamkos can do, Crosby has done just as well. The difference being Crosby is stronger, a better playmaker, better in his own end, better on the draw. Crosby is without a shadow of a doubt the best player in the world and if it weren't for that headshot, Stamkos wouldn't even be discussed right now. I'd bet my dog that Stamkos will never have a year like Crosby was having this season.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:25 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicVegaSez View Post
people on this thread are completely insane if they think that Stevie Y is going to let Stamkos walk. Tampa's ownership gave him full control over the team. I could easily see them trading Lecavalier if they need to free up serious money to sign Stamkos.
And to whom can they "easily" trade the remaining $70 million NMC too?

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:26 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Ownership in Tampa Bay is fleeting, they have had 7 in 20 years. I've had two cars.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:28 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

1. Burke doesn't do offer sheets.
2. I can't believe anyone would say Stamkos isn't a generational talent.
3. Having said that, We'll give up too much for him. so many 1st rounders will hurt this org. long term. Can he win a cup alone? no. No one can, we need the depth those picks will give us for a true rebuild and if someone like a stamkos becomes available in the UFA market, then u can throw all kind of money at him, but not so many future picks.

Old
03-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Kibago

not gonna happen realistically - it's not impossible, but there's little way for it to be a good idea.

if Burke doesn't like the forward market after Richards I'd consider taking Lecavalier in a dump + two Tampa 1sts attached to him to get rid of his salary. it would be a huge help to them after locking up Stamkos for big cap. we're a team that can afford to take a risk like that.

Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:35 AM
BlueMapleDawg

Leafs should offer him $120M/15yrs.

No way TB can handle that.

And yes, he would be worth the 4 1st round picks and that caphit.

To all those saying he's not a generational talent? Are you kidding me? He's the fastest of all the elite players in the league. He has great hands. He's got a f***in' LASER of a shot that would put Kessel to shame. He's got better vision and creativity than 99% of the league. Our PP problems would be solved. Short of Sidney Crosby, Steven Stamkos is the EXACT thing the Toronto Maple Leafs are looking for. And he doesn't have a concussion problem.

Plus he's a Toronto boy! Nobody wants to win the Cup here as badly as Steven Stamkos. Check out the interviews.

BlueMapleDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Bob Barker

Generational talent is being thrown around far too liberally in this thread.

Bob Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:40 AM
zapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg View Post
Leafs should offer him $120M/15yrs.

No way TB can handle that.

And yes, he would be worth the 4 1st round picks and that caphit.

To all those saying he's not a generational talent? Are you kidding me? He's the fastest of all the elite players in the league. He has great hands. He's got a f***in' LASER of a shot that would put Kessel to shame. He's got better vision and creativity than 99% of the league. Our PP problems would be solved. Short of Sidney Crosby, Steven Stamkos is the EXACT thing the Toronto Maple Leafs are looking for. And he doesn't have a concussion problem.

Plus he's a Toronto boy! Nobody wants to win the Cup here as badly as Steven Stamkos. Check out the interviews.
I rather give him 9 mil/year for 9 years.

I think Tampa Bay won't be able to match that. And it will be really worth those 1st round picks. At the end of the day I don't think Burke would ever do that because he doesn't believe in offer sheets but I know that there are 28 other GMs; and at least one of them might do this.

Also I don't care if he's a "generational" talent or not; but he would be teh best player in a Leafs unifrom in a very very very very long time. And he loves Toronto. Take a risk. You already took a risk with Kessel; why not gamble with someone who is the leading goal scorer two years in a row and is only 21?

zapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:41 AM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Stamkos will get resigned. Not only is he elite talent, but he is also the face of the TB franchise. One could suggest that Stamkos is keeping the team alive via him being sold by the franchise, to its investors as a reason to stick around and continue to help finance a team that is bottom 5 in the league in terms of Financial stabability.

TB would be digging its own grave, throwing them selves in, and burying them selves if they allowed Stamkos to hit FA.

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Chuck Lefley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
And to whom can they "easily" trade the remaining $70 million NMC too?
Who else but the Habs, who have been drooling after him forever. They would give Gomez the Redden/Souray treatment to make room.

OR if the Thrashers move to Quebec City...wouldn't that be an interesting scenario, the revived QUE franchise gets a bonafide Quebecois superstar.

Old
03-08-2011, 11:44 AM
highoffglass
Cheers!

It would be a pipe dream.. and yeah, why can't we just dream? lol

highoffglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:45 AM
reza87

Fun thread!

My thoughts are both major long shots but speculating is fun. I still remember my heart breaking when I heard that Rick Nash signed in Columbus so it can hurt too!

Burkie should throw the entire barn and the barn door at Yzerman trying to nab Stamkos.

It's definitely not within the realm of possibility for me, Stamkos is on a winning team right now putting up Crosby numbers. I happen to know that Tampa has one of the coolest locker room vibes in the NHL. I can't see him passing up a good offer by Yzerman, who will probably be heavily involved in the selection of the next Olympic team, if not serve as GM itself.

I think the best hope for Leaf Nation to land Stamkos is if he signs a high value, say $8 million contract to ride him through until he's 28. At which point he ignores everything Tampa throws at him to sign for the leafs. Fact is that the NHLPA will NEVER allow Stamkos to sign for something less than $7 at least. He's putting up numbers better than Ovechkin and has proven he isn't a 'one-hit-wonder.' So Leaf fans be patient, I think we'll see him in blue and white eventually. This kid genuinely wants to play for the Maple Leafs even right now, but he isn't ready to leave Tampa. Which is probably the best thing to have for his development at this point.

Moving on, an RFA who I can see pulling a Lindros is John Tavares. He is a great player who on a hideously terrible team (in my opinion) can play up there right alongside Steven Stamkos. He has just been hijacked by the evil evil NY Islanders. The team which hasn't had hope for 20 years and probably won't for another 20 years. If Tavares is smart, and I believe he is- he's going to demand a trade out as soon as his entry level contract is finished. It'll cost the Leafs in a trade to get him, maybe even Kadri but it can be done.

reza87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Brown Dog

This is the definition of a pipe dream. The only way Stamkos becomes available to the Leafs is if he decides he wants out of Tampa Bay and refuses to negotiate (a la Kovalchuk). He doesnít strike me as having the kind of personality that would make him turn his back on the team that drafted and developed him.

And even if that miraculously happened, Iím not sure Burke would be willing to get involved. So letís not even entertain the idea.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:47 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Who else but the Habs, who have been drooling after him forever. They would give Gomez the Redden/Souray treatment to make room.

OR if the Thrashers move to Quebec City...wouldn't that be an interesting scenario, the revived QUE franchise gets a bonafide Quebecois superstar.
You missed the NMC part !!! And you make it sound like owners have absolutely no problems burying multi-million dollar contracts.

Anyway more power to ya with that train of thought.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Chuck Lefley*

Maybethis is the thread to mention that Burke has demonstrated that he ridiculously overpays for some players (Bozak).

I saw it when I was checking some numbers on CapGeek:

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=739

Base salary $875,000 potential bonuses $2,875,000 that is the max entry level deal: $3,725,000

Wow, pretty unbelievable Burke paid an undrafted college player the same as the #1 overall pick. So far in his career:

103 NHL games 18 goals 33 assists 51 pts - 30

Holy overpayment Batman!

Compare to:

Artem Anisimov (NYR) 151games 28g 35a 63pts -1 $821,666 cap hit
T.J Galiardi (COL) 116games 25g 33a 58pts -4 $875,00 cap hit
Jamie Benn (DAL) 135games 39g 41a 80pts -5 $821,667 cap hit

I think this was a ridiculous contract to give to an undrafted player...especially an awful defensive player.

My point is quite simply that I forget the Stamkos pipedream and see if the Leafs could get any of those three cap friendly players that cost a heck of a lot less than Bozak.

Last edited by The Messenger: 03-08-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Abusive
Old
03-08-2011, 11:50 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
This is the definition of a pipe dream. The only way Stamkos becomes available to the Leafs is if he decides he wants out of Tampa Bay and refuses to negotiate (a la Kovalchuk). He doesnít strike me as having the kind of personality that would make him turn his back on the team that drafted and developed him.

And even if that miraculously happened, Iím not sure Burke would be willing to get involved. So letís not even entertain the idea.
What makes you think that Burke wouldn't be willing to get involved. It sounds a lot like the Kessel situation.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:55 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Stamkos is easily worth a handful of 1st round picks. Draft picks can always be recouped, elite players cannot.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Quarter
Exploding Knees

To those of you who said Burke doesn't do offer sheets... correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he only against drastically overpaying in order to hogtie the other GM and not the idea of an offer sheet altogether?

Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 12:02 PM
reza87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime View Post
Stamkos is easily worth a handful of 1st round picks. Draft picks can always be recouped, elite players cannot.
Agreed, Yzerman agrees with you too.
It won't be easy.

reza87 is offline   Reply With Quote