HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Gainey Talk To Shanahan's Agent?

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Should Gainey Talk To Shanahan's Agent?

You know, we've turned over all the stones of free agents, but not much discussion of Shanahan. Now, we can't say there is any rumour of him coming here, because I think we all know it's just about impossible, but if we just want to discuss our hopes and wishes on the issue...

Who else would love to see Shanahan as a Hab?

For $3M on a 2-year deal, I'd take him.

I think he's slowing down a lot, doesn't play physical much anymore, is just about finished, and we'd be lucky to get 20 goals out of him, but I'd still take the chance.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
You know, we've turned over all the stones of free agents, but not much discussion of Shanahan. Now, we can't say there is any rumour of him coming here, because I think we all know it's just about impossible, but if we just want to discuss our hopes and wishes on the issue...

Who else would love to see Shanahan as a Hab?

For $3M on a 2-year deal, I'd take him.

I think he's slowing down a lot, doesn't play physical much anymore, is just about finished, and we'd be lucky to get 20 goals out of him, but I'd still take the chance.
Shanahan is a left winger and we don't have enough talented left-wingers on the team so he wouldn't be taking anyone's place. So why not.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Reid

Shanny - Ribs - Ryder!!!

I think Shanny would be great for Ribs & Ryder. He would be a great mentor for Ryder, and would help add leadership to Ribs & Ryder. But we don't want to pay to much for him. 2 yrs @ 3-4 million per, and give him some bonus clauses.

My 2 cents

Old
07-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

I'll repeat what I said in the other thread we're very young (27 avg, 26 if you include guys Higgins, Plekanec, Hainsey and Hossa) so a guy like Shanahan can definately help on the leadership and experience front. All his career he's been playing a physical game and I think it's taken a toll on him. He's just not been the same for the past 2 seasons. He's still a legit top 6 guys but the clock is ticking on that too. I'd not sign him for more than 2 seasons but who knows he could be our Andreychuk (minus the C) ?

Old
07-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Thomas

Send a message via MSN to Thomas
I would sign Shanahan before Kovalev. We wouldnt be signing him long term, he would be a quality stop gap until our young guns are ready for top line duty. It would also give Koivu a top line physical player, something we've been after for years now. Shanahan has only missed 20 games in the last 9 seasons, so theres no reason to believe he wouldnt be healthy (he played 82 games last season at 34/35 years of age). Hes not as physical as he used to be, but hes still the closest thing to a PF we could get. I wouldnt expect him to be in the Maurice Richard race, but I could see him putting up 25+ goals with Koivu. He fits our system a lot better than Kovalev does, Shanahan plays a strong two way game.

He will most likely end up in Detroit, rumoured to have offered him a 2 year deal that pays him $3.75M a season. If we sign him he wont be a 2nd line player, he would have to be a first line player. Koivu should be playing with a top line talent, not Ribeiro. I would offer him a bit more $ than the Wings and hope he comes to Montreal where he would get lots of ice time and could mentor a young team. Hes one of the best leaders and could fill the vocal void Koivu leaves in the leadership department.

Old
07-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Guy Caballero

Shanny's got some gas in the tank. I'd take him in a heartbeat. If need be, convert Zed to RW and make the first line Shanahan-Koivu-Zed. That would be fearsome. Instant respect, instant credibility.

We're starving for the kind of leadership Shanny brings.

Old
07-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Shanny's got some gas in the tank. I'd take him in a heartbeat. If need be, convert Zed to RW and make the first line Shanahan-Koivu-Zed. That would be fearsome. Instant respect, instant credibility.

We're starving for the kind of leadership Shanny brings.
But would you take him at $3.75 per, for 2 years (and probably thereby give up a shot at Kovalev/Palffy/whoever)?

Actually, I would. But I'm a huge Shanahanfan, so I wouldn't even pretend to not be biased on that one.

(I still think this is all a moot point, because despite the message that the trade for Kovalev sent at the deadline, I'm getting the feeling that BG is sitting back into calm, cool, development team approach, and we aren't even seriously looking at any FA's... and that's a pretty good approach too, IMO. But it's not as much fun to talk about.)

Old
07-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Doc Hock

The Habs need 2 top 6 forwards, any combination of Kovalev, Shanahan, Hull, Kariya, Recchi would be absolutely fantastic!

Old
07-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
But would you take him at $3.75 per, for 2 years (and probably thereby give up a shot at Kovalev/Palffy/whoever)?

Actually, I would. But I'm a huge Shanahanfan, so I wouldn't even pretend to not be biased on that one.

(I still think this is all a moot point, because despite the message that the trade for Kovalev sent at the deadline, I'm getting the feeling that BG is sitting back into calm, cool, development team approach, and we aren't even seriously looking at any FA's... and that's a pretty good approach too, IMO. But it's not as much fun to talk about.)
I would sign him at that price and that length, and I don't think that Gainey is willing to stand pat with this current roster. He went out and got Kovalev for a reason, namely, to give us a legitimate NHL first line. He also made an offer to Kovalev to keep him, which means he's interested in having a solid first line going into next season as well. He didn't get him, but with all the guys out there, you have to think he can land someone else. Recchi, Shanny, and Murray are all good options, and they'd all be even cheaper than Kovy (although Kovalev is still my first choice). We won't go into 2004-2005 with Zednik-Koivu-??? once again, as we have the last three years.

Old
07-03-2004, 12:38 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
LETS GET FEDOROV. Oh that was last year

Shanny would help a lot because we have no LW cept for Bulis really. Zed and Ryder both play RW and Kovalev is a RW. If we can get him for like 3 a year I wouldnt say no, but what are the chances of that.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:09 PM
Marksman

I'd love to have Shanahan ... but him signing, not to mention taking paycut, to play for team other than Wings would be major surprice. Gaineys energies would be better spent in talks with Kovalevs agent - if there is any chance deal could be worked out.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:49 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
Shanahan is washed up; he's 35. He's not effective and he's seeking a lot of money due to his experience and leadership. It's not worth it. We need to get the best players we can at the best price and Shanny doesn't represent this.

Old
07-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi
Shanahan is washed up; he's 35. He's not effective and he's seeking a lot of money due to his experience and leadership. It's not worth it. We need to get the best players we can at the best price and Shanny doesn't represent this.
How is Shanahan washed up? He scored 25 goals and finished with 53 points, would have finished 4th among our players. A lot of players are good even if they are over 35, at least Shanahan hasnt shown to be injury prone and can play a full season. There arent any "young" top line UFA's on the market, so you get what you can. Shanahan would fill a need this team has had for years, his style suits our kind of system and he wont cost an arm and a leg.

There arent many players that would come to play in Montreal, so if I was Gainey I would contact every single top line UFA's agent and see who's be interested. Players like Palffy, Demitra, Kariya etc wont bother signing here, so we have to hope for players like Shanahan or Recchi. They are only stop gaps until players such as Perezhogin and Kastsitsyn are ready, and it gives Koivu a top line player he deserves. If you expect to get anyone better than Shanahan at a decent price your dreaming.

Old
07-03-2004, 02:46 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Shanahan has no more gas left in the tank? I don't buy that. To me, he brings much more than just offensive contribution. Eventhough he's not the prototypical first line power forward anymore (but then, same could be said about Keith Tkatchuk) I think he would remain a great addition to any NHL team. With Shanahan, you are pretty sure you'll get a 25-goal and 50+ point guy, because he's just so consistent. You also get a guy who can bring a new dimension to your powerplay unit (well, in Montreal's case anyways) because this team is really missing a big winger who can make room in front of the net. Shanny brings just that. He also brings a sound defensive game, as he's always been an effective two-way player. While he's not as intimidating as he was in the early 90s, he remains a much appreciated physical presence at 6'3" and 220 pounds. I'm sure this size and strenght Shanahan brings to the table would help out Saku a lot on the top line.

The more I think of it, the more I think he could very well be an option for Bob Gainey and the Habs organization. We have had success in the past with all-around guys... but same could not be said about players who base their game mostly on offense (Berezin and Czerkawski come to mind). Shanahan would fit well into Julien's system IMO, and would be a valuable addition to our top line, definatly... as well as to the PP *and* PK unit.

One thing is for sure though: if Bob Gainey shows some interest towards signing Shanahan, there's no way he'll be the only GM to give a call to Shanny's agent.

Old
07-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
If you expect to get anyone better than Shanahan at a decent price your dreaming.
How about Anson Carter? I'd bet my life that he won't get a fraction of what Shanny will get. Forget the name and forget his history; think of 35 going on 36 year old Shanny...he's a waste at say 5 million which he can get anywhere.

Old
07-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi
How about Anson Carter? I'd bet my life that he won't get a fraction of what Shanny will get. Forget the name and forget his history; think of 35 going on 36 year old Shanny...he's a waste at say 5 million which he can get anywhere.
Theres a reason why Carter will be getting a fraction of what Shanahan will get, hes a fraction of the player Shanahan is. Why should I forget the name and the history? Shanahan has been consistant throughout his career, and theres no reason to believe it will suddenly drop at 35 years of age. Carter did nothing to warrant a first line job last season. I doubt Shanahan will get close to $5M with a new CBA looming, and considering Detroit is only willing to offer $3.75M for his services. The Habs have needed this type of player for years, and now because hes 35 years old hes not good enough for some. Shanahan is a first line player while Carter is a 2nd line player, theres a difference.

Old
07-03-2004, 04:13 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
We're going nowhere if we don't have any quality veterans around to teach the kids a thing or two. Shanny could be our Gilmour, minus a couple years. He could totally change the outlook of the team in a good, good way.

Old
07-03-2004, 04:54 PM
Malmsteen44

NO!!! If I'm wouldn't take Recchi who can still skate, I wouldn't take Shanahan (no way he will sign with Montreal anyway-thank goodness).

Closed Thread