HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3-8-11 | SHARKS vs PREDATORS | 7:30pm PST

Old
03-09-2011, 04:52 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCB2000 View Post
I agree a single or even group of stats showing a pattern does not mean he is the cause of the losses and that is not what I was trying to point out. I do get a chance to watch all the games and that is what lead me last night to dive into the stats. In my eyes during the last month or so, I have seen his play slow down. I actually was shocked to see so many stats to back up what I thought I was seeing.

Couture has
-->Fewer goals when playing more mins
-->Scores majority of goals, 23 out of 25 before the last 5 mins or OT in a game
-->Recent slump could be due to teams focusing on him but I see that Tmac is moving Couture around in order to avoid this and it still is not resulting in goals for him so I am leaning towards the rookie "hitting the wall" theory based on the number of mins per game he has been playing and based on when his slump started
My point is that you're looking at it wrong when listing findings that way. I'm too lazy to look it up myself, but I'd guess you'd see Couture plays more minutes against better teams (which I'd also guess the Sharks score fewer goals against period), and that the team as a whole does not have a high % of goals in the last 5 minutes or OT. In fact, didn't Patty just set a record for most OT goals in a season with 3? Unless you can compare Couture to any other player on the team or team stats as a whole these findings have no meaning, there's no context. Sadly, the problem with sports stats is it's almost impossible to isolate variables

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 06:59 PM
GCB2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
My point is that you're looking at it wrong when listing findings that way. I'm too lazy to look it up myself, but I'd guess you'd see Couture plays more minutes against better teams (which I'd also guess the Sharks score fewer goals against period), and that the team as a whole does not have a high % of goals in the last 5 minutes or OT. In fact, didn't Patty just set a record for most OT goals in a season with 3? Unless you can compare Couture to any other player on the team or team stats as a whole these findings have no meaning, there's no context. Sadly, the problem with sports stats is it's almost impossible to isolate variables
I can compare Couture to others:

1) Compared to Marleau in those same games against the same teams that Couture had issues with Marleau has scored 7 of his 26 goals which is his average pace of goals per game.

2) Compared to Clowe, who is most cases is playing with Couture, was able to register 10 points in those same games as Couture had issues despite playing in 3 less games. Clowe 10 points in 12 games is right on his season average of 50 points in 63 games

I agree there are always variables that go into each set of stats gathered. Maybe I am just paranoid with the long track record of rookies hitting the wall and when I see Couture slump my mind goes there. They say you can finds stats to backup any reasonable theory, even if it isn't the actual case...

GCB2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 07:36 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 691
If you read the Nashville GDT they've all noticed that it's Patty again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsfan80 View Post
ARGH! Patty again. Sometimes why its risky for the defensemen to pinch. On to the next game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly79 View Post
Marlowned, again.
(^My personal favorite )

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Story of our lives. This is how CBJ feel when they come to Nashville. Marleau would pass Gretzsky if he played the Preds every night.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Jesus Toews*

Preds fans are awesome. I'm gonna have to start using Marlowned.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:42 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Preds fans are awesome. I'm gonna have to start using Marlowned.
I personally think it should be Marleauned. It works unless you're the Pens' color guy.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
I personally think it should be Marleauned. It works unless you're the Pens' color guy.
Good call.

Old
03-09-2011, 09:00 PM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
Lightning?

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:53 AM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

I know we all wanna lay this to rest, but I just checked out the replays of Patty's goal frame-by-frame from the various camera angles, and it seems like the puck hits the D-man's stick a bit, which knuckles the puck somewhat, and then Marleau's stick contacts the puck again on the follow-through. Did anyone else see this?

You can clearly see the puck spinning in the air on the close-up, slowed down angle that they showed, so there definitely was contact by the Preds player, but I really think Marleau made the final contact w/ his stick.

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:01 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksage View Post
I know we all wanna lay this to rest, but I just checked out the replays of Patty's goal frame-by-frame from the various camera angles, and it seems like the puck hits the D-man's stick a bit, which knuckles the puck somewhat, and then Marleau's stick contacts the puck again on the follow-through. Did anyone else see this?

You can clearly see the puck spinning in the air on the close-up, slowed down angle that they showed, so there definitely was contact by the Preds player, but I really think Marleau made the final contact w/ his stick.
That's exactly what happened. What you can't say is Patty directed the puck on the second hit. It was simply a lucky follow through. Not that you were.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...

Last edited by Led Zappa: 03-10-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Trojan35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Murray, Braun, Seto, 1st, 2nd for Weber. Boom.
You made Wysh's blog:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...?urn=nhl-wp294

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:07 PM
osgoodshlatters

hahaha

osgoodshlatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Jesus Toews*

LOL way to go, David.

Old
03-14-2011, 05:07 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
Hahaha. Congrats?

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post

Way to go DH.

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Kitten Mittons

nm

**** that guy. It wasn't a serious trade proposal anyway. He is staining my well-established name. Name that took over 20000 OT posts to establish.

Last edited by Kitten Mittons: 03-14-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote