HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

"Tall" shoulder pads

Old
10-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Skraut

vCash: 500
"Tall" shoulder pads

I'm 6'4" and for my size have short legs. Most of my height comes from my torso which is very tall, so much so that I have to get "tall" shirts whenever I buy clothing.

2 weeks ago I fell forward and cracked a rib, and bruised several others. The ones that were injured were between where my Shoulder pads end, and my pants begin, as on me there is actually a good sized gap.

Are there any shoulder pads that have longer chest protection? Should I look at something like the Farrell pads which I have read about people getting made extra long, or modifying themselves to make longer.

Just trying to avoid this injury again, and any suggestions would be helpful.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:54 PM
greyraven8

back when i was still playing beer league, i extended my old shoulder pads by using some foam from some other equipment and sewing on velcro to the extension and the shoulder pads (so the extension would be detachable) .

did the extension because i did a fair bit of shot blocking playing 'd'

here's a pic of the shoulder pads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shoulder_Panorama.jpg‎ (48.0 KB, 39 views)

greyraven8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 02:52 PM
vyktor

I know that Robbie Brown had either a thigh or hip pad that he hung from his shoulders with old skate laces and it covered his lower back, he said it protected him when he got cross checked in the back going to the net. you don't need anything fancy, just so it doesn't affect your movement.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd look for a padded shirt with belly protection.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:54 PM
skater25134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I'm 6'4" and for my size have short legs. Most of my height comes from my torso which is very tall, so much so that I have to get "tall" shirts whenever I buy clothing.

2 weeks ago I fell forward and cracked a rib, and bruised several others. The ones that were injured were between where my Shoulder pads end, and my pants begin, as on me there is actually a good sized gap.

Are there any shoulder pads that have longer chest protection? Should I look at something like the Farrell pads which I have read about people getting made extra long, or modifying themselves to make longer.

Just trying to avoid this injury again, and any suggestions would be helpful.
I'm also 6'4" I have some CCM shoulder pads which have a special belly extension (for defensemen who block shots), they're also fairly wide around the ribs. I'm out of town right now and I don't know the model number but I bet if you look at their website some of their higher-end stuff will have this feature (probably other manufacturers as well). (I bought mine years ago anyway so I'm sure they're not produced anymore.)

Another thing you could try maybe is throwing on a pair of lacrosse rib protectors underneath your shoulder pads if you can't find anything better.

P.S. I also use extra-long pants so I don't have any huge gaps in my torso protection but it sounds like this wouldn't work for you as you said you have (relatively) short legs.

skater25134 is offline   Reply With Quote