HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If you were GM

Old
02-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
If you were GM

I'd like to hear which direction you guys would take this team if you had control.

Full-Rebuild?
Move everyone out under 27~ Including Henrik+Gabby

Half-Rebuild?
Move most veterans, aside for a few guys.

Quarter-Rebuild?
Move some veterans.

Tweak the Roster
Coke for Pepsi type trades.

Stay the course
What we've been doing. Low-risk signings/trades.

Shop around
Your typical Gilroy, Grachev, and a 2nd for _________ cliche hfboards proposal. Shop picks/prospects for veteran 'help'.

Buy Buy Buy!
Everyones available! Shop everyone around in hopes you can acquire a legit Star. Dubinsky, Girardi, Kreider, Mcdonagh 1st+2nd for Doughty Grachev, MZA, 2nd, 1st'11 for Richards etc. etc.

What would you do? I'm guessing 95% of you guys will say obvious things like "Buy out Drury+Avery, trade EC/Gilroy/Eminger/Feds/Prospal, sign or trade for Richards, and so on. I'm more interested in hearing some other ideas or suggestions though, to be quite honest. I guess they go hand in hand though, since salary has to likely be cleared for some additions. Would you Buy? Sell? Who would you shop around? What would you be willing to move for legit talent? What would you do with our picks? Trade up? Down?

Let's hear your suggestions. If you guys are capable of criticizing the current state of the team, then I'm sure you have the answers that'll lead to success.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:34 PM
TrollololBoyle

With the fact that Sather is still a better GM than everyone on this board, whatever I chose would do more damage than Sather could possibly do... but I'd stay the course.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Emptyvoid

I'm curious what the mods around here would do. They are generally the most level headed out of the Rangers fans and have a much clearer read on what it takes to be successful.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:36 PM
asparkoflife

Im of the mind where this team is at a huge crossroads. They have a core and an identity. They Have a franchise goalie, a franchise D Man, and two potential future captains.

Your Pillars of the team(from an organizational standpoint) are:

Callahan
Hank
Dubinsky
Staal
Kreider
Stepan

Aside from that; The strategy needs to be to get that next level elite player. You have your identity guys; and you need to build on this ideal. I believe there has to be a move for som elite talent. One that will probably hurt our feelings as fans but one that is necessary.

I wouldn't be surprised to see players like Anisimov, Grachev, MDZ, MZA, Gaborik or even Boyle on the trade block for a part of something huge that will really address a need( legit #1 C, PMD/PP QB, bonafide sniper that fits the system)

I guess that would put me in a partial rebuild, partial stay the course.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Ail
k.

I would resign and give it up to someone who knew what the hell they were doing.

02-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
I would resign and give it up to someone who knew what the hell they were doing.
Quote:
If you were GM

Not, if you were Sather.

Old
02-20-2011, 09:44 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I think that the best course of action is to allow the youngsters that are here the opportunity to fight for the playoffs.

We want our core to grow? This is how it's done.

Let them face adversity, see how they respond to it.

Make a small deal or two to provide them with some assistance, but for the most part, leave them alone and let them fight it out until the end.

Missing the PO's will provide a great growth experience for our older core. Guys like Cally, ubi, Arty, Staal, Girardi will all learn from the experience.

Younger core guys like Stepan, McDonagh, Sauer, and MDZ will learn from the experience.

Let them make or miss the PO's on their own merits, that is how teams grow.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:45 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
What would I do? I know that's the question burning in everyone's mind.

I think this team is in a good position future-wise. They need a big move or few to put them over the top talent wise. I would try and add as much raw talent as I possibly could. This team has plenty of muckers and grinders with a minimal talent level. You can see the offensive stupidity in this team's game. We need players with a better understanding of the offensive side of the game, because, unfortunately, we don't have anyone here right now who is experienced enough to put that intelligence to use - basically, players like Stepan, Wolski, and Zuccarello who ARE smart in the O-zone aren't experienced enough. A player like Brad Richards is.

My first move; try to acquire Jakub Voracek, who has been reportedly dangled by Columbus GM Scott Howson. Maybe use him in a bigger package with Gaborik, or set the starting point at Del Zotto + for Voracek + Savard. Voracek gives us the playmaking winger we desperately need, and the kid is only 20. He'll be a superstar only in a matter of time. He's very talented and intelligent, he just needs to develop and find his game, and I think he could do that better here than in an environment like Columbus. He and Dubinsky would be money.

Then, I try and have a "garage sale", per se. Trade Feds, Prospal, Eminger, Girlroy, and Frolov for whatever we can get on the market. Just adding any type of pick could potentially help this team more so than these players currently could or could in the future. I also inquire about Bogosian. He would fit in beautifully next to Staal, and would get the necessary ice time to help move along his development. He could be Burns-like in a few years, he just needs the proper development path, and he won't be getting that in Atlanta. He hasn't gotten it so far.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prusted View Post
Im of the mind where this team is at a huge crossroads. They have a core and an identity. They Have a franchise goalie, a franchise D Man, and two potential future captains.

Your Pillars of the team(from an organizational standpoint) are:

Callahan
Hank
Dubinsky
Staal
Kreider
Stepan

Aside from that; The strategy needs to be to get that next level elite player. You have your identity guys; and you need to build on this ideal. I believe there has to be a move for som elite talent. One that will probably hurt our feelings as fans but one that is necessary.

I wouldn't be surprised to see players like Anisimov, Grachev, MDZ, MZA, Gaborik or even Boyle on the trade block for a part of something huge that will really address a need( legit #1 C, PMD/PP QB, bonafide sniper that fits the system)

I guess that would put me in a partial rebuild, partial stay the course.
I don't get too attached to players anymore. Everyone's available, for the right price. I like a lot of our kids, but if the return made sense, then I'd consider it.

Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal, and Lundqvist are really my only untouchables. Stepan, McD, Kreider as well.

I think one of AA or Boyle will be moved.

Old
02-20-2011, 09:51 PM
ThisYearsModel

Sell sell sell

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:51 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
I'm too attached to guys like Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal, etc to do a total rebuild.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:52 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I don't get too attached to players anymore. Everyone's available, for the right price. I like a lot of our kids, but if the return made sense, then I'd consider it.

Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal, and Lundqvist are really my only untouchables. Stepan, McD, Kreider as well.

I think one of AA or Boyle will be moved.
I do too, and I am a huge AA supporter. I even got a Heritage AA jersey for Christmas. But I just have a feeling he's going to be moved.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I think that the best course of action is to allow the youngsters that are here the opportunity to fight for the playoffs.

We want our core to grow? This is how it's done.

Let them face adversity, see how they respond to it.

Make a small deal or two to provide them with some assistance, but for the most part, leave them alone and let them fight it out until the end.

Missing the PO's will provide a great growth experience for our older core. Guys like Cally, ubi, Arty, Staal, Girardi will all learn from the experience.

Younger core guys like Stepan, McDonagh, Sauer, and MDZ will learn from the experience.

Let them make or miss the PO's on their own merits, that is how teams grow.
I like it. A lot.
But I don't like you. **** you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
What would I do? I know that's the question burning in everyone's mind.

I think this team is in a good position future-wise. They need a big move or few to put them over the top talent wise. I would try and add as much raw talent as I possibly could. This team has plenty of muckers and grinders with a minimal talent level. You can see the offensive stupidity in this team's game. We need players with a better understanding of the offensive side of the game, because, unfortunately, we don't have anyone here right now who is experienced enough to put that intelligence to use - basically, players like Stepan, Wolski, and Zuccarello who ARE smart in the O-zone aren't experienced enough. A player like Brad Richards is.

My first move; try to acquire Jakub Voracek, who has been reportedly dangled by Columbus GM Scott Howson. Maybe use him in a bigger package with Gaborik, or set the starting point at Del Zotto + for Voracek + Savard. Voracek gives us the playmaking winger we desperately need, and the kid is only 20. He'll be a superstar only in a matter of time. He's very talented and intelligent, he just needs to develop and find his game, and I think he could do that better here than in an environment like Columbus. He and Dubinsky would be money.

Then, I try and have a "garage sale", per se. Trade Feds, Prospal, Eminger, Girlroy, and Frolov for whatever we can get on the market. Just adding any type of pick could potentially help this team more so than these players currently could or could in the future. I also inquire about Bogosian. He would fit in beautifully next to Staal, and would get the necessary ice time to help move along his development. He could be Burns-like in a few years, he just needs the proper development path, and he won't be getting that in Atlanta. He hasn't gotten it so far.
You seriously overrate Voracek. I like the mini-garage sale. I'd move most of our prospects that aren't really bona fide. I'd try and do anything to nickle and dime myself with as many early picks as possible. That's where you land talent.

Old
02-20-2011, 09:55 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
You seriously overrate Voracek. I like the mini-garage sale. I'd move most of our prospects that aren't really bona fide. I'd try and do anything to nickle and dime myself with as many early picks as possible. That's where you land talent.
When I say "superstar" I mean a legit 1st line winger. Hemksy like, without the injuries. Very good player, I watch him constantly in envy.

Old
02-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
I'm too attached to guys like Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal, etc to do a total rebuild.
They're all young enough to survive a rebuild.

Would you move Dubi+Staal for Doughty though? Or Nash? Kane? Malkin? (Not suggesting this is possible, but moving these guys doesn't necessarily mean 'rebuild').

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prusted View Post
I do too, and I am a huge AA supporter. I even got a Heritage AA jersey for Christmas. But I just have a feeling he's going to be moved.
I think Torts prefers someone more ballsy than AA. Boyle's produced, so I think they may go with him instead. Personally, I'd move Boyle before AA. I'd move both, and neither if I had control. Both, if the return was right. Neither if I decide to stay the course. Guess it all depends on what's coming back.

Old
02-20-2011, 10:05 PM
bmw2004

Trade everyone except:
Callahan
Dubinsky
Staal
Lundqvist (if no changes he'll ask for trade in my opinion)
Kreider
Stepan
Anisimov, Boyle * (undecisive) Depends on the return.
MZA * ( very tradable, but might end up being very good player - somewhere else )

Sorry, I forgot about Girardi and Sauer ???

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:09 PM
cally4captain

Gotta stay the course. Continue to bring up prospects, slowly get rid of unneeded vets and build this team from within. That is the formula to creating a powerhouse in today's NHL.

cally4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:10 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

I'd say Dubi, Cally, step, staal, McD& Hank are untouchable

Gotta wow me but he's available - Gaborik, Kreider

Available but only for a big piece - AA, Zucc, Thomas, Sauer, MDZ, Grachev

Need high return - Girardi, Wolski, Boyle, Prust

Gimme a semblance of value but not much- Feds, Prospal

TAKE MY WIFE, PLEASE - Gilroy, Avery, Drury, EC, PP scheme

We need high end talent or elite fwd prospects in return. We have good 2nd/3rd line guys. 4th line guys in the system & are easy to fill. We should only be aquiring top line & top pairing players.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cally4captain View Post
Gotta stay the course. Continue to bring up prospects, slowly get rid of unneeded vets and build this team from within. That is the formula to creating a powerhouse in today's NHL.
What if the process takes another, 4 years? Do you continue that patience and hope you can re-sign guys like Gabby and Lundqvist to reasonable contracts? Most of our core will be hitting UFA and be in their mid-late 20's.

Old
02-20-2011, 10:13 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Keep: Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Stepan, Boyle, MZA, Staal, Girardi, Sauer, McDonagh, Hank.
- What I would have are my 6 F, 4 D, Goalie.

Keep all prospects and sign contracts to those who need it.

Get rid of the rest of the bunch for any picks or young talent.

Do not sign any free agent except for B. Richards if possible on a reasonable contract.

Players i'd get rid of for next season or whenever possible and would not care at all are: Gaborik, Wolski, White, Drury, Redden, Prospal, Avery, BOOGAARD, Fedotenko, Christensen, Prust, Gilroy, MDZ, Eminger. (Anything in this list is junk or just is not going to fit into the long term mold of what the NYR's should be.)

And so this is my lines:
? - ? - ?
Dubinsky - Stepan - Callahan
? - Anisimov - MZA
? - Boyle - ?

Staal - Girardi
? - ?
McDonagh - Sauer

Notice: Lot's of question marks because we really do lack the talent to become a real Stanley Cup organization. And I just threw those lines together, I don't realistically expect lines to form that exact way but I tried to have a vision of the proper places that these guys really belong in.

Last edited by WeWillWinTonight: 02-20-2011 at 10:23 PM.
WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:14 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Dater is saying Paul Stastny may be available: http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011...ng-to-go/6559/

Get 'em Slats!

Old
02-20-2011, 10:17 PM
nyrleetch

Make Avery captain and let him loose!

nyrleetch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd - If you moved all these picks, what type of player would you get?

What about a boatload of our prospects? Kreider, Grachev, Vtank, for ~

What if you combine all those picks and prospects? What type of player would become available? Or something like, AA+Kreider+Sauer+1st+2nd+2nd =

I'd rather not move these assets, but if that's close to superstar talent, I'd consider blowing our farm system up.

Old
02-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

This team lacks talent that would put them above. You cant expect to win with tweeners like Christensen and Gilroy getting a regular shift. Besides the direction of playing the youth I just dont see any thing that makes me believe that we`re gonna be better until the upper management is changed or finally realizing we are in the same spot year in and year out.

Dont get me wrong I love Prust and Boyle, but you cant expect to do anything special when they are getting a lot of even strength playing time.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:22 PM
John Torturella

If Im GM, Im staying pretty close to the path we are on. I would move the nonessential vets. Prospal would be trade bait. I would try to add a veteran defenseman with grit to replace Gilroy.

Overall though, I would do whatever I could to get Kreider and Hagelin locked up this summer. Just keeping adding to the young depth that we have built up.

I wouldnt run through a wall to add Brad Richards via free agency. If he is willing to sign for a reasonable deal, maybe a 3 or 4 yr deal, Id go for it.

I would probably see what is out there via trade in terms of a number 1 center. I would give up a first rounder, a roster player and prospect to get a legitimate number 1 center.

Outside of that stuff, you stay the course. The direction this team is heading is solid. The defensive core is very young and talented.

I think you would also have to consider taking offers on Gaborik. If he isnt putting up goals, he really doesnt fit into the direction this team has gone. Probably try and trade him at the draft or next season.

Oh yeah I would also hope and pray that Redden bolts and Drury retires this offseason.

And I wouldnt give anything up for rentals this deadline. Its not worth it to move up one spot in the standings. Unless its a steal I wouldnt move anything important this year.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote