HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Get Your Prospects While They Are Ripe!

Old
03-13-2011, 10:45 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
The only one of those forwards who stood a realistic chance of making the team this year was Mursak. And Tatar, with his strength, speed and skillset, is at least one more year away. I don't see Nquist, Jarnkrok or Pulkkinnen are going to get a shot in the near future. Nyquist is so weak that he needed another year of college hockey despite setting the circuit on fire last year.
Just to be clear (not that this has anything to do with the discussion at large), Nyquist was so weak. That was last year, this is this year. Nyquist made huge strides this past season. Strength-wise, he looks like a different player. And he's reportedly up to 185lbs, which isn't too bad for a 5-11 frame that is a bit on the slight side to begin with. I'm not saying Nyquist will be ready for the NHL next season, and while I don't necessarily expect him ready for the following season, I really wouldn't be shocked if he is.

Last edited by jaster: 03-13-2011 at 10:51 PM.
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:58 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

The 'organizational depth vs prospect development' sure is a delicate balance. And I think the Wings do a pretty good job with it, though there's really no way to know if it is the "best" way. I will say that I don't think the "starting the UFA clock" issue is a very high priority. I mean, if a move doesn't help the team and/or the prospect, then, sure, delay the start of the clock. Otherwise, that's a bridge you cross when you get to it and I don't think it should be much of a consideration when deciding who to call up and when.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:36 AM
JackieTreehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
What isn't an "unproven assertion" when talking about prospect development. That was the point of this thread. To discuss prospect development.

But from what I see of Ericsson, Howard and a few other prospects, we've watched them make very little progress at Grand Rapids, if not slip backwards, the longer they stayed. There are now question marks surrounding both. Is it because they were held back? I don't know. But I think it's possible. Regardless, I don't the 3rd and 4th years in Grand Rapids do anything for these guys.
Even Darren Helm. Guy was called up to the NHL for the cup run and was great. He showed he could play in the NHL. So we sent him back, for what? To keep some and old and busted vets around. And then call up Helm again in the playoffs. It's didn't hurt Helm, But most reports I read suggested Helm wasn't as effective in his second GR season. And why would he be? He showed could play in the NHL in Stanley Cup playoffs. There was nothing else, realistically, for him to in Grand Rapids. We saw the same from Ercisson and Quincey.
Sitting Abdelkader for Maltby in the SCF's was brillant.

JackieTreehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:41 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
The 'organizational depth vs prospect development' sure is a delicate balance. And I think the Wings do a pretty good job with it, though there's really no way to know if it is the "best" way. I will say that I don't think the "starting the UFA clock" issue is a very high priority. I mean, if a move doesn't help the team and/or the prospect, then, sure, delay the start of the clock. Otherwise, that's a bridge you cross when you get to it and I don't think it should be much of a consideration when deciding who to call up and when.
Yeah, and I think there's isn't one strategy that is best for all prospects.
However, I think we're seeing too many fairly good prospects get pushed right up to the waiver wire. If this was 2002 and we had Robitaille and Larionov on line 4, I could buy it.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:38 AM
ArGarBarGar
Doc Messier

Personally I think you got the logic backwards on this one.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 05:36 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Personally I think you got the logic backwards on this one.
IF you're not going to explain how, then you're just blowing smoke.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote