HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Around the League XXVII

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2011, 11:40 PM
vancityluongo

vCash: 500
Around the League XXVII

I'd say the "stretch drive" is officially under way.

Also, we've had 27 of these threads? Weird.

Old
03-08-2011, 11:41 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Not surprised to see Brad May passionatly defend Chara...

What a joke.

Old
03-09-2011, 12:58 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Wow, what's with the situation in Phoenix? Things are getting hairy, what with Bettman visiting Arizona to try and close out the deal, and Goldwater and the city of Glendale throwing **** at each other.

Old
03-09-2011, 01:21 AM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
Chara needs to be suspended. That kind of garbage does not belong in the league, regardless of whether intent was there or not.

That being said, Chara doesn't strike me as a malicious player, so I don't think the league will throw the book at him. Within 3-5 games is what I think he deserves

Old
03-09-2011, 02:41 AM
Placebo Effect

It's crazy that the Hawks win 8 straight and still only have a 3 point cushion on 9th. This entire Western race is nuts. Wish I wasn't broke so I could get Centre Ice. Love the stretch drive.

Old
03-09-2011, 02:58 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
It's crazy that the Hawks win 8 straight and still only have a 3 point cushion on 9th. This entire Western race is nuts. Wish I wasn't broke so I could get Centre Ice. Love the stretch drive.
I really hate the West

Honestly if Hawks were in East things would be so much more comfortable

I believe we will be in playoffs (Basically just need to go .500 rest of year according to playoff odds) but just such a tight race

Hopefully Hawks can get back on track

Horrible 1st period killed us last night and Vokoun stole the show in 3rd period (God he robbed us of several goals)

Old
03-09-2011, 03:00 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Wow, what's with the situation in Phoenix? Things are getting hairy, what with Bettman visiting Arizona to try and close out the deal, and Goldwater and the city of Glendale throwing **** at each other.
Bettman is trying to stir up the hornets nest and get Goldwater to sue. Goldwater knows that merely the threat of a lawsuit pours cold water on the bond issue, and that the NHL needs to get it's schedule compiled by May. If they sue now, they might have it thrown out so they are content to wait for it all to fall apart on it's own under the threat of a lawsuit.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...statement.html

Quote:
The $116 million in bonds would likely include an $8.6 million rainy-day fund. The city likely would make yearly debt payments of $8.3 million to $10.1 million until 2041, with a smaller $2.8 million payment due this fiscal year.
OK, I'm no municipal bond expert, but:

($8.3M * 40) + $2.8M = $334.8M, $218.8M for interest
($10.1M * 40) + $2.8M = $406.8M, $290.8M for interest

5,500 parking spots would secure the bonds, so 41 home games * 5500 = 225500 spots rented during games, assuming full parking lots for every game.

$218.8M interest / 41 years = $5.3M per year
$5.3M / 41 home dates = $130K per game day or $23.70 per spot assuming all sell, and assuming favorable interest rate.

Of course they can sell parking for events too and inflation should be factored in as bonds will be re-paid in inflated dollars. That said, it's going to be tight to unrealistic even with an optimistic interest rate.

Old
03-09-2011, 03:02 AM
David71

name the title to "teams jocking for playoffs postions".

Old
03-09-2011, 03:02 AM
Agent007

It's going to be real interesting to see how the Preds finish the season. They go home and finish the season with 12 of their last 15 games on home ice.

Old
03-09-2011, 04:53 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
i would argue that there should be no suspension for chara

i agree with what bob mackenzie wrote on his blog tonight:

Quote:
Personally, I didn't see or sense any malice or obvious intent to injure on the play but one would have to be a mind reader to know for certain what exactly Chara was thinking at that moment. Who knows, really?

To me, it looked as though Chara was compensating for potentially being beaten to the outside by Pacioretty and after the puck had been advanced up the ice, the big defenceman attempted to rub the Canadien winger into the boards.

But here's the bottom line for me. Chara was rightfully assessed an interference penalty on the play. Because of the obvious injury, it was a five-minute major.

Certainly, if the partition weren't there, it would have been no more than a two-minute minor for interference and there almost assuredly would have been no injury on the play. But the partition was there and, ultimately, Chara is responsible for the outcome. He made an illegal play that caused injury and even if there was an absence of malice, Chara is still responsible.
where i disagree with bob mackenzie is that a 2-3 game suspension should arise because the hit was late and an injury resulted from the hit

i think this is a situation where the league can't be on the fence...they have to decide whether the hit was malicious (in which chara should be suspended 10+ games) or whether it was an unfortunate result from a hockey play (in which the 5 minute major for interference and game misconduct was sufficient)

ultimately i think this is more an issue of the placement of dangerous turnbuckles around a hockey rink than a suspendable offence

Old
03-09-2011, 05:39 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post

i think this is a situation where the league can't be on the fence...they have to decide whether the hit was malicious (in which chara should be suspended 10+ games) or whether it was an unfortunate result from a hockey play (in which the 5 minute major for interference and game misconduct was sufficient)
That is exactly it. Was Chara

a) innocently unaware of the fact he was about to run a guy travelling at full speed head first into the wall that was in front of him

b) deliberately running a guy travelling at full speed head first into the wall that was in front of him

0 games or 10-20. If they believe it was deliberate but can't establish it was, what do they do? Do they have the balls to make that call on a star player just out from the playoffs on a "probable or reckless"?

Old
03-09-2011, 08:52 AM
crazycanuck

The Chara hit was very bad. Hard to say if there was malicious intent or not, personally I don't think there is. If there wasn't, it was still very very reckless. 5 and a game for interference isn't enough. There needs to be some supplemental discipline, poor Max Pacioretty now at the best case scenario has a severe concussion and a long road back to playing (some reports out there have him with a neck fracture).

Personally I'd like to see a minimum of 5 games.

Chara will be having a phone conference with Mike Murphy which usually means 5 games or less.

Unfortunate plays do happen but players still need to be held accountable for their actions, and Chara's reckless play may have ended the career for Pacioretty.

Old
03-09-2011, 11:22 AM
VanEric

I don't buy the explanation that he didn't know where he was on the ice. It's not like he got all turned around and dizzy or something. He knew exactly what he was doing. Now I doubt he thought the outcome would be so severe but this whole explanation that he didn't know where he was on the ice is BS.

Old
03-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Reign Nateo

Yeah that's BS, if you've played hockey you know about the partitions and what they can do. Why does everyone act all surprised that they're there when something happens?

It's not unfortunate that the partitions are there, it's part of the game, what's unfortunate is Chara made the poor, split-second descision to ram Pacc. into it.

Old
03-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Reign Nateo

It's like an NFL player pushing a receiver into a goal post on a play, and saying it's unfortunate the goal post was there...

Old
03-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Woof.

That Chara hit was freaking brutal. I don't think he intended to massacre the guy, but Chara has to know his own strength. I don't think it was a malicious play but it was grossly reckless and pretty stupid. Especially for a vet player with that sort of size and strength. It sounds like Paciorrety has 'Steve Moore' type injuries unfortunately (sever concussion, vertebrae issues, etc.)

Old
03-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Ernie

I think that Chara should be suspended.

If you're acting recklessly, and someone is killed, you get charged with manslaughter, even if you didn't intend to kill them.

Same principal applies here. How long is it going to take before the league accepts that players must have some responsibility for their actions? If you have a guy in a vulnerable place, let up on him. The toughness in hockey can survive just fine without these borderline plays.

Old
03-09-2011, 12:16 PM
smileyface

I agree with you guys. I don't think Chara had a malicious intent to injure Pacioretty. He wanted to hit him and with the history between them I can see Chara hitting him harder. He probably didn't think that stanchion was going to impact Pacioretty that way. Maybe he didn't see it. No matter what Chara's intentions were, what he did was illegal (interference) and very reckless. He should have been more aware of his surroundings. True, if the hit happened anywhere else, it would have been just normal interference and Pacioretty would have been fine, but it didn't. And Chara as the hitter is responsible.

The main concern right now though is Pacioretty's health. I hope he's going to be okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
I think that Chara should be suspended.

If you're acting recklessly, and someone is killed, you get charged with manslaughter, even if you didn't intend to kill them.

Same principal applies here. How long is it going to take before the league accepts that players must have some responsibility for their actions? If you have a guy in a vulnerable place, let up on him. The toughness in hockey can survive just fine without these borderline plays.
Exactly. His intentions shouldn't even matter because that's speculative at best (only Chara knows). Because of his reckless actions someone got hurt and Chara should be held accountable for that.

Old
03-09-2011, 12:23 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Chara hit was clean. Hopefully Montreal learns a lesson. Probably not.

Old
03-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Momesso

No the hit was not clean....it was clearly late and he was given 5 and the game. I'm all for physical hockey but every player in the league knows where the partition is, and the league's clampdown on headshots is predicated on the theory that players have be cognizant of potentially injuring opposing players who are in a vulnerable position.

If it was just along the glass it's a 2 minute interference call. But it wasn't. Players have to be aware of the vulnerability of their opponent; whether they are near the turnbuckle, are blindside to the hitter, or in a compromising position along the boards.

Negligence is not an excuse. The intent cannot be proven but the onus is on the hitter to show some judgement - that is what new interpretation of hits that the league is making clear that it is using.

I think Chara gets a few games if the league tries to be consistent.

Old
03-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
What lesson is that? Hope someone doesn't recklessly endanger your life while you don't even have the puck?

So is Boston your "tough pick" for the SCF or are you still playing the field and waiting to troll all summer long?

Old
03-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Proto

Quote:
Also, the fact that out of all this all you can say is that you hope a dude with a fractured neck "learned his lesson" falls right in line with the amount of thought and logic that goes into the rest of your trolling.

Old
03-09-2011, 12:46 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Also, the fact that out of all this all you can say is that you hope a dude with a fractured neck "learned his lesson" falls right in line with the amount of thought and logic that goes into the rest of your trolling.
Wow, some reading comprehension please.

"Montreal learns there lesson"

not

"learned his lesson"

Pathetic attempt at smearing me.

Old
03-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Proto

Quote:
Wow, some reading comprehension please.

"Montreal learns there lesson"

not

"learned his lesson"

Pathetic attempt at smearing me.
The fact that you see a difference between the two is, uh, interesting. Sorry, what lesson should "Montreal" have learned? That one of its players might end up with a broken neck? That's way better! But that player, what does he learn? "Oh, tough break (in your neck, no less!). Too bad your team didn't learn its lesson! But not you! I'm not that mean!"

Anyway, I'm done putting up with this soft-serve Don Cherry impersonation. I'm not going to continue with this because you've never met a logical discussion you can't duck with platitudes and fallacies.

My point has been made. Lesson learned, hopefully.

Last edited by Proto: 03-09-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old
03-09-2011, 12:53 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
The fact that you see a difference between the two is, uh, interesting. Sorry, what lesson should "Montreal" have learned? That one of its players might end up with a broken neck? That's way better! But that player, what does he learn? "Oh, tough break (in your neck, no less!). Too bad your dream didn't learn its lesson! But not you! I'm not that mean!"

Anyway, I'm done putting up with this soft-serve Don Cherry impersonation. I'm not going to continue with this because you've never met a logical discussion you can't duck with platitudes and fallacies.

My point has been made. Lesson learned, hopefully.
Uhhhh, Chara was just showing that he's ready for the playoffs. Don't see the big deal

Closed Thread