HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League XXVII

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2011, 04:47 PM
rebel diamond

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
People want to see everything in black/white. Either it's clean or it's the worst hit ever.

This was a slightly borderline hit (maybe a little bit late but otherwise OK) that turned very bad because of bad luck/circumstance - that the hit happened at the one exact point on the ice where it could cause serious injury.

It was *maybe* a bit reckless from Chara, but the negative result of the hit is 100x worse than you could possibly have expected.

Chara could make that hit another 1000 times, and this wouldn't happen again.

Hell, we've even seen lots of guys hit into the turnbuckle like that before, and never this kind of serious injury. Usually they'll take it off the shoulder, do a spin, get up, and keep going. Again, just bad luck that Pacioretty happened to catch it flush with his head.

There were probably 10 hits in the NHL last night that were dirtier/more malicious than this one. This one just happened to have an awful result.
Yep, that about sums it up. Really unfortunate results, but I'm in complete agreement with the non-suspension.

Old
03-09-2011, 05:38 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
Tanner Glass:

"I thought it was a dirty play. I thought he knew exactly what he was doing."

"If you polled 700 NHL players, 680 would say he knows exactly what he's doing and knows the turnbuckle is there."
Good for Glass for speaking his mind. I get sick and tired of hockey players who keep quiet in instances like these.

Old
03-09-2011, 05:46 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
People want to see everything in black/white. Either it's clean or it's the worst hit ever.

This was a slightly borderline hit (maybe a little bit late but otherwise OK) that turned very bad because of bad luck/circumstance - that the hit happened at the one exact point on the ice where it could cause serious injury.

It was *maybe* a bit reckless from Chara, but the negative result of the hit is 100x worse than you could possibly have expected.

Chara could make that hit another 1000 times, and this wouldn't happen again.

Hell, we've even seen lots of guys hit into the turnbuckle like that before, and never this kind of serious injury. Usually they'll take it off the shoulder, do a spin, get up, and keep going. Again, just bad luck that Pacioretty happened to catch it flush with his head.

There were probably 10 hits in the NHL last night that were dirtier/more malicious than this one. This one just happened to have an awful result.
In otherwords you called it white.

Old
03-09-2011, 05:50 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post
Yep, that about sums it up. Really unfortunate results, but I'm in complete agreement with the non-suspension.
I'm not in complete agreement with the non-suspension... To protect the players, IMO, a game or two or three would have been good... The league gives out suspensions to say, "don't worry about further retribution... you're too emotionally involved, we're impartial... we'll take care of retribution for you fairly"... By giving out no suspensions, the league is basically saying, "you're not justified to get retribution, Montreal"... But this doesn't squash the Montreal want for retribution... If anything, it makes Montreal more angry, more emotional...

To me, the hit was "cloudy enough" for the league to try and appease Montreal a bit... I think it was borderline enough (with an extraordinary result) for the league to say to Montreal, "don't worry about, and don't dare try to get retribution yourselves, we've done it for you, fairly"... To me, considering the hit was borderline enough, and adding the result was terrible to the league saying Chara does not deserve more retribution, just adds up to the greater probability that Montreal will play an overly aggressive/"borderline" game against Boston next time... Will Montreal hold back if Chara or another Boston player is in a vulnerable position? To me, Montreal is much less likely to now... Yes, even if Chara was suspended, chances are, Montreal might not show "respect" or "restraint" on the ice... But now, I think it's a given, and the outcome is probably more intensified than it should/could have been...

To do everything it can to protect the players, IMO, the league should have given Chara a game or two or three...

I think the upcoming games against Montreal and Boston will be "interesting"

Old
03-09-2011, 05:52 PM
crazycanuck

People keep calling it a borderline interference call, but break it down.

The puck is in a whole zone away. Pacioretty poked the puck in the Habs defensive zone. The hit occured in the neutral zone. The puck was in the Bruins defensive zone when the hit occured.

There was 3-4 strides between when Pacioretty poked the puck and when he got hit.

Time has nothing to do with this situation.

It is interference, and then you add in the fact that its in a very dangerous part of the rink. It was a reckless play, and should be suspended because it was reckless.

Old
03-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post

The puck is in a whole zone away. Pacioretty poked the puck in the Habs defensive zone. The hit occured in the neutral zone. The puck was in the Bruins defensive zone when the hit occured.

There was 3-4 strides between when Pacioretty poked the puck and when he got hit.

It is interference, and then you add in the fact that its in a very dangerous part of the rink. It was a reckless play, and should be suspended because it was reckless.
No, it was "split second" and Pacioretty should have learned his lesson last time they played the Bad Bruins and realized you can't make skill plays when you're up against a team that's gearing up for the playoff run. Lesson learned.

Hopefully the Canucks and that wuss Tanner Glass learned the same lesson, or Daniel and Hank are going to end up on stretchers, too.

Old
03-09-2011, 06:18 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
As long as Pac learned his lesson about skating up the boards and trying to make a skill play around a defender.
You consider 'chip in chase' is a "skill play"

Oh man that is just too much. Chip and chase. Skill play.

Old
03-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

I think it was somewhat dirty...I do think Chara was a bit late and knew he was rubbing him out into the turnbuckle. Of course no one--Chara included--could anticipate just how brutal the result would be for Pacioretty.

If the NHL wasn't so woefully inconsistent in regards to its punishment and punishing based on the injury that resulted rather than the act itself, this would be a relatively open and shut issue. It was a borderline hit but not suspension worthy(IMO). But because they are so painfully inconsistent, there is now a controversy as to whether or not this was a bad hit.

Old
03-09-2011, 06:20 PM
vancityluongo
undisputed genius

vCash: 1070
I admit that a lot of the criticism that goes towards Bettman is undeserved, but IMO Colin Campbell and Mike Murphy are both not great people. Anyways.

The Good:

A hit isn't being punished based on the severity of the injury.

The Bad:

If this is Gillies off the Islanders that pulls this play, does he get the Todd Bertuzzi suspension?

The Ugly:

Pacioretty. Poor guy, what a horrible circumstance. Best wishes for a quick recovery, hopefully this isn't career ending.

Old
03-09-2011, 06:22 PM
vannuckles
DieBettmanDie

I wonder if Colin would feel the same way, if it was his SON who got smoked? The fools who run this league, are a joke. Bettman, Campbell and Murphy are ALL suspect characters. They have ALL been at the end of some form of scandalism or another. The NHL DESPERATLY needs new brass, before there is NOTHING left of this sport, or it's great players. Anyone who thinks this is a well run sport, needs to take their heads out of the sand.

Old
03-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
In otherwords you called it white.
yup.

Old
03-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post

^ This....there was nothing "borderline" about that interference.

Plus, if you look at the still photo on yahoo's NHL page you can see Chara's left arm pushing Pacioretty's head right into the turnbuckle. Even if you can't prove intent (which is very debateable), it was an extremely reckless play.

Last edited by Canucker: 03-09-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old
03-09-2011, 06:45 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

accidents don't just happen you have to work on them

Last edited by me2: 03-09-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old
03-09-2011, 06:46 PM
David71

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
**** Campbell, seriously.

Even though "supposedly" he's not involved with decisions when it comes to Bruins. The man is a crook.
his son is on the bruins, clearly a suspenion was'nt needed for chara., in the picture it clearly showed chara's forearm on max pac's face and rubbed him out on the turnbuckle. the league is a ****ing joke from gary bettman,, to colin campbell to mike murphy. they can't run the league at all.

Old
03-09-2011, 06:52 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Actually that picture clearly proves Chara's forearm is on Pacioretty's shoulder. Rough play made by a mean player.

I hope for nothing but the best for Pacioretty. I like him as a player and have even posted about trading for him if at all possible.

Old
03-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 888
i look at the threads on the main board at the moment and i'm embarrassed to be a hockey fan

people need to remember that hockey is a full-contact sport where violent collisions frequently occur at high speeds

it's terrible that a player is out for the year with a broken neck but all the self-righteousness needs to go away

nobody is forced to play hockey...if you want to avoid the possibility of serious injury while playing full-contact hockey at a high level, don't play

Old
03-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Balls Mahoney
SAVE US SVEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
i look at the threads on the main board at the moment and i'm embarrassed to be a hockey fan

people need to remember that hockey is a full-contact sport where violent collisions frequently occur at high speeds

it's terrible that a player is out for the year with a broken neck but all the self-righteousness needs to go away

nobody is forced to play hockey...if you want to avoid the possibility of serious injury while playing full-contact hockey at a high level, don't play

03-09-2011, 07:07 PM
LostMyGlasses*

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Sports/hoc.../17542791.html

Quote:
Hawks diss Morrison

Before Brendan Morrison could even get off the ice, the Chicago Blackhawks were adding insult to his injury.

The Calgary Flames centre, who suffered a knee injury last Wednesday in a loss at Chicago, spoke for the first time Tuesday about the incident and said he was getting disrespected by Hawks on his way to the bench.

“I don’t know if they understand exactly what was going on,” Morrison said. “Some young guys were standing and yelling.
Classless.

Old
03-09-2011, 07:09 PM
VanEric

Good thing Pierre McGuire wasn't there or he could cry about how the Blackhawks were being mean to Jarome Iginla.

Old
03-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Ernie

Funny thing is McGuire would have actually cried, too.

Old
03-09-2011, 07:12 PM
VanEric

They better stop saying those mean things or else!

Old
03-09-2011, 07:20 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Actually that picture clearly proves Chara's forearm is on Pacioretty's shoulder. Rough play made by a mean player.

I hope for nothing but the best for Pacioretty. I like him as a player and have even posted about trading for him if at all possible.

better quality version of it

Old
03-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 1121
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
In Art Ross related news, Stamkos with 1 G, 1 A today after 1 period vs Chicago.

Old
03-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
Tanner Glass:

"I thought it was a dirty play. I thought he knew exactly what he was doing."

"If you polled 700 NHL players, 680 would say he knows exactly what he's doing and knows the turnbuckle is there."
Hats off to Tanner Glass for calling a spade a spade.

Old
03-09-2011, 07:31 PM
thefeebster

Your pictures are not showing up for me...

But here is the twitpic from the main boards.

I really don't know how anyone could say its routine hockey play. Late hit, puck was gone at the blue line, hit came at the red line.

Anyone who learned how to play knows hockey how to angle opponents without doing what Chara did.

Ohhh and Hammer79, about Phoenix. I had a coworker who just came back from a game there. They do not even charge for parking. She said they drove up to the arena and asked how much parking was to the person directing traffic. He said its free. So its been a running joke in the office that they are losing money just by having free parking. Heck, even a $1 fee would be better than nothing. I just do not know who is developed their business model.

Closed Thread