HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post-Deadline Lineup Discussion

Old
02-28-2011, 07:31 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

vCash: 500
Post-Deadline Lineup Discussion

I think this is new thread-worthy, since people seem to be having this discussion in a few different threads:

How does the lineup change with our new additions?

Do we load the 1st line or split Semin and Ovie so that Arnott can play with one of them?

Is Arnott even assured to be the #2C?

Where does Fehr fit in when he returns?

Do we exploit Sturm's ability to play both wings and try him opposite Ovie?

Any chance MaJo ends up getting some time as a top-6 winger?

Curious to hear people's thoughts.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Bonzai

I expect Bruce to try every combination under the sun for the remainder of the season.

I see Arnott as the 3C, but I'll need to see him play more to say for sure. I think Sturm is a lock for the second line, outside of times when we go with SOB, but hopefully he can jump start that line, whoever the center is.

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:39 PM
txpd

sounds to me like sturm is going to get a shot to force somebody else out of the lineup when fehr comes back. think chimera i guess. it could be fehr that watches.

it could be that sturm doesnt play well enough to beat somebody out of a job when all are healthy. we will get to see starting tomorrow night.

what i am looking for is to see if he can keep up with johansson. a veteran who can finish and keep up with and take advantage of johansson's speed might be very interesting

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:46 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Bottom line, Steckel is gone. Gordon won the job as shut-down pivot for WSH. Arnott fills in for MoJo as 2C while the latter learns the ropes through spot duty in the top six but mostly through fourth line minutes or the bench during the playoffs -- all still good preparation for next season.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:48 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Bottom line, Steckel is gone. Gordon won the job as shut-down pivot for WSH. Arnott fills in for MoJo as 2C while the latter learns the ropes through spot duty in the top six but mostly through fourth line minutes or the bench during the playoffs -- all still good preparation for next season.
Gotta think Johannsen will get the 3C full time at least for the duration of the year with Gordo 4th, no?

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 07:51 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Gotta think Johannsen will get the 3C full time at least for the duration of the year with Gordo 4th, no?
I doubt BB tries to run three pure offensive lines as his top nine. Need a shut down guy at 3C in the playoffs IMO. We'll see.

Old
02-28-2011, 07:57 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Is this potential lineup crazy?

Ovie - Arnott - MaJo
Sturm - Backstrom - Semin
Laich - Hendricks - Knuble
Bradley - Gordo - Chimera

I kind of like the idea of pairing Arnott with Ovie and loading the 2nd line, but then the 1st line needs someone who can skate with Ovie. MaJo can skate.

Could be a bit vulnerable at 3C, but between Laich and Hendricks, you have two guys who are both hybrids. I think it could work when you add in Knuble's net presence.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:11 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Gordon didn't win any job. He "won" the "I have a shorter and cheaper contract" competition.

And some combination of Backstrom, Arnott, and Mojo are almost assuredly the top 3 centers from hereon out. I'd even venture to guess that Gordon's the 7th in the center pecking order. I'd expect Laich, Hendricks, or Beagle to be the 3C before him, if Mojo is demoted to 4th line/bench duty.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

BTW, Steckel's PK minutes likely get eaten by Sturm and not Arnott. Sturm's pickup beforehand, may have been executed in part with Steckel's lost PK minutes in mind.

Old
02-28-2011, 08:14 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Gordon didn't win any job. He "won" the "I have a shorter and cheaper contract" competition.

And some combination of Backstrom, Arnott, and Mojo are almost assuredly the top 3 centers from hereon out. I'd even venture to guess that Gordon's the 7th in the center pecking order. I'd expect Laich, Hendricks, or Beagle to be the 3C before him, if Mojo is demoted to 4th line/bench duty.
Like I said, we'll see (in April).

Old
02-28-2011, 08:19 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Like I said, we'll see (in April).
Uh huh. You're basing your conclusions on nothing more than your previous projections as Gordon as a possible 2C. There hasn't been anything that's happened this season that would indicate an increased role for Gordon.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

i put this in another thread but it belongs here now:

Ovi plays best with a defensively responsible centre. Whilst he has improved his back checking over the course of his career, expecially this season, he is still at his best when able to read a turnover and quickly charge through the neutral zone putting the defenders on their back heels.

Backstrom and Zubrus are both great defensively and he has had his most success and played a lot of his career with these 2 as his centres.

Ovi - Backstrom

Semin is quite capable of carrying his line, is aggressive on the back check but not consistent. I have always felt that he is at his best when he has a player such as Laich driving the net creating those East-West lanes for him to move into and create shots or deft passes. Whilst Laich in my example makes that space for him he needs, a centre who does this, appears to me, to be the right position for a net crashing presense to enhance his game. Arnott demands the respect of the defenders and thankfully, plays the centre position, unlike Laich or Knuble.

Semin - Arnott

I think those 2 combinations need to be your starting point for determining best suited playoff lines. From here, we can build with:

Fehr
Laich
Knuble
Sturm
Johansson
Chimera
Bradley
Hendricks
Gordon
Beagle etc..

Johanssons strong play gives him the slot as the 3C obviously.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble/Fehr
Sturm - Arnott - Semin
Laich - Johansson - Knuble/Fehr
Chimera - Hendricks - Bradley
Gordon

I would be really keen for Fehr to grow into that No.1 RW by the end of the season but i dont think it would happen. A third line of Laich - MoJo - Knuble really appeals to me but it may be a necessity that Knuble plays up the order.

That would be my first choice line-up.

If its really not working, then i think you have to go:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Semin
Laich - Arnott - Knuble
Sturm - Johansson - Fehr

But im not as confidant in that.

I think BB needs to give those first set of lines a chance to get things going. I feel pretty strongly about playing Arnott - Semin, as i mentioned earlier & Ovi - Backstrom, the second of which we know has the chemistry as a duo.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I say you gotta get Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Semin all going down the stretch and the best way to do that is play them together, if one gets going they can get one of the others going, and so on. Just 1 of those guys can have a big night any game and carry the other 2 for a 2-3 point performance (which is what they need a couple of).

Line 1: Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Line 2a: Chimera-Arnott-Sturm
Line 2b: Laich-Johansson-Knuble
Line 4: Hendricks-Gordon-Bradley

Let Chimera and Sturm battle for the 2nd line spot, until Fehr is healthy, one of those 2 probably gets the bench (unless someone else gets hurt - if it's Gordon - most likely canidate, then move Hendricks to 4C).

I think line 2b has shown some chemistry this year, they were great a few weeks back against tampa, and once again last game. I like the way that line looks on the ice.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:29 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Uh huh. You're basing your conclusions on nothing more than your previous projections as Gordon as a possible 2C. There hasn't been anything that's happened this season that would indicate an increased role for Gordon.
Actually, I projected him as a 3C. And lets take a look at where he stands currently. Wizzzy, looky what we have here...

TOI/GP
1. Nicklas Backstrom 20:51
2. Marcus Johansson 14:04 - 2C by default
3. Boyd Gordon 12:38 -3C shut down and PK minutes
4. Mathieu Perreault 11:52 gonzo
6. David Steckel 11:34 gonzo

Arnott ain't in WSH to replace Perreault and Steckel. Is he here to replace MoJo or Gordo? Think playoffs.

Old
02-28-2011, 08:33 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:

i think this is the same guy who was proclaiming that gordo was going to hit 40 or 50 points this season, so take his posts with a grain of salt.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:38 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I like the idea of a massive top line:

Ovechkin-Arnott-Knuble

I loved this line in the Philly series:

Laich-Backstrom-Semin

I don't expect Arnott to hang for 25 minutes a game, so sprinkle in some SOB as needed to manage icetime.

As for the bottom 6, I have no freaking idea.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:39 PM
The Viking Fury

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Semin - Arnott - Sturm/Fehr
Laich - Johansson - Chimera/Fehr
Bradley - Gordon/Beagle - Hendricks

I'd move forward as if Fehr isn't back since he's made of glass and it's a more conservative estimate to expect him to be out. Since his health is an issue, make him force some one else out.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 08:44 PM
txpd

i think we will see several packages over the coming weeks. but i think come playoffs we will see the following

ovechkin backstrom knuble
sturm-johansson-semin
laich-arnott-fehr(chimera)
hendricks-gordon-bradley.

if sob is initiated, then
ovechkin backstrom semin
laich-arnott-knuble
sturm-johansson-chimera(fehr)
hendricks-gordon-bradley

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post

I'd move forward as if Fehr isn't back since he's made of glass and it's a more conservative estimate to expect him to be out. Since his health is an issue, make him force some one else out.
I like this. I think we have good shutdown guys to complement the skilled players. I just hope the trades and the chemistry all come together. I am patiently waiting for the next few games to see how the Power Play is going to work out .

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

Ovechkin-Arnott-Knuble

Laich-Backstrom-Semin

I don't expect Arnott to hang for 25 minutes a game, so sprinkle in some SOB as needed to manage icetime.

this is an interesting thought....if it were me I would sure let that roll in a practice just to see how it looked/clicked.

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:42 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

So what's the sweater assignments for the FNGs.

Figure Wideman can keep his #6 that he had with FLA

Someone mentioned a possible #44 for Arnott

What about Marco?

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 09:45 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
i think this is the same guy who was proclaiming that gordo was going to hit 40 or 50 points this season, so take his posts with a grain of salt.
50/50 on the recollection there, PuckBunny. Yes, it was me analyzing Gordo's historical performance to TOI ratio for future production, but the projection was for ~30 points. Alas, not in the cards for Gordo this season, I concede.

Nevertheless, I'm glad to hear my posts leave an impression, enough so that you can recall them, even if only vaguely, from prior seasons. Forgive me for admitting though, I have no clue who you are.

Old
02-28-2011, 09:52 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

Ovechkin-Arnott-Knuble

Laich-Backstrom-Semin

I'm on board with this. (historical footnote: Ovechkin did well in Turin with Yashin and Kozlov, and before the whole Nylander debacle, I wanted to try him with Yashin and Zubrus)

Basically, I think the two big guys can clear some space for Ovi down low while it doesn't really hamper his one-on-one game in neutral ice, where he is usually the first guy into the zone anyway. And we're not seeing the chemistry with Backstrom anyway this year.

Ovechkin-Arnott-Knuble
Laich-Backstrom-Semin
Sturm-MJ-Fehr

On paper, I like the clearly defined identities of Ovi-Big Boys (size & power), Backstrom-Semin (skill) and MJ-Sturm (speed).

OR, since MJ seemed to work well with the lunch pail guys:

Ovechkin-Arnott-Fehr (hmm..)
Sturm-Backstrom-Semin
Laich-MJ-Knuble

If Boudreau won't break up Ovechkin and Backstrom, I like Ridley Simon's idea of SOB top line, and take it from there, maybe:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Laich-MJ-Knuble
Sturm-Arnott-Fehr

FWIW, I don't think Arnott-Semin is going to work..

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:02 PM
capsfan528

Green-Hannan
Carlson-Alzner
Wideman-Poti/Schultz
Erskine

Neuvy
Varly

capsfan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Devil Dancer

For the love of God, either break up Ovie and Backstrom or put together SOB. Ovie-Backstrom-Knuble has been terrible (relative to their potential) for months and months.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote