HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

CHL and the NCAA

Old
07-18-2011, 04:55 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

vCash: 500
CHL and the NCAA

Now this isn't to debate the merits of either path, personally I find that each helps the right type of player. However, this is more of a thread to note a particular change in drafting philosophy, do you think Gauthier has put more weight into a CHL first round pick, then Gainey use to?

For example since he's gotten in charge,

Leblanc went from Harvard to the Q
Tinordi switched from NCAA to London
Beaulieu plays in the Q for the sea dogs,

Previously our first round picks (none in 08)

Mcdonagh 11th overall, NCAA 2007
Pacioretty 22nd overall, NCAA 2007
Fischer 20th overall, NCAA 2006

then Carey Price,

I was just watching the craigs thing and realized our top prospects are all in the CHL, and started to wonder if that was by design. Now mind you I think that the NCAA is great for players like Mark McMillan, a skinny kid with tons of skill but needs to grow. And not so good for players who are already partially filled out and need more playing time.

Or is this simply an anomaly?

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 04:59 PM
neofury*

I'd say probably an anomaly.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:52 PM
Darz

I would think the habs management takes that on a player to player basis. I think with Leblanc and Tinordi the team probably felt like fast tracking the player was in there best interest so they convinced them to play in the CHL, while with other player who they probably want to take there time evaluating and bringing the player along, so the NCAA route might be better

07-19-2011, 12:02 AM
OneSharpMarble

CHL seems like a stronger league, better prepares players for the NHL.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:37 AM
schumway2

Personally I think you should go to the NCAA only if you're a project player. That way if you don't make it to pro you have an education. Otherwise if you have the potential to be a pro hockey player in any league the CHL route is pretty much the best. You start playing against serious competition at 16 rather than 18. I don't think hockey is a sport suited to the university route. In fact, I'm not a fan of it altogether. I think every sport should have a junior system.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Pr3Va1L

The more games you play the best it is.

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:26 AM
Maravilla

I'll take a kid in the CHL who is going balls to the wall to make the pro's instead of a kid taking the safe route and getting an education and not playing in the better enviroment

(Nothing against getting an education and playing it safe but as a hockey investment I would rather go for the kid who is in the CHL and knows its either the big league or nothing)

Maravilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:07 AM
ScopeHockey

My take (and I have lived the CHL/NCAA story intimately):

If you have a dream of playing in the NHL with a reasonable chance to make it, go CHL. Pursue your education at the same time to whatever extent possible. When CHL is done, if you don't have a contract, go to a Canadian University. It worked for me and a lot of other guys I played with.

The general thought is that by going NCAA you're putting your education first, but a lot of players get their NCAA education and then go play in Europe for 10 years. Are they better off...I think not. I know if I was interviewing someone who got a degree 10 years ago but had zero relevant work experience since then, I'd say 'thanks but no thanks'.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is to pursue whatever is worth pursuing at the time. If NHL is still a realistic goal then play CHL where you get more exposure and can develop your skills better. Once NHL is no longer a realistic goal then play hockey at the best university that's willing to pay for your tuition.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
CHL seems like a stronger league, better prepares players for the NHL.
NCAA is a higher calibre, but the intense practise and game schedule plus travel of the CHL helps prepare a player for the pro game.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:22 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
NCAA is a higher calibre, but the intense practise and game schedule plus travel of the CHL helps prepare a player for the pro game.
It'd be interesting (but impossible) to know how much of the difference in caliber is attributable to there being far less games in NCAA. Believe me, it makes a huge difference. When you play a Friday night game after practicing and lifting weights all week (NCAA), it's unbelievable how much more energy and jump you have compared to having played another game earlier that week which is usually the case in CHL. More energy on the ice = higher caliber of play. Obviously the age and strength of the players is a big factor too.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:02 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Now this isn't to debate the merits of either path, personally I find that each helps the right type of player. However, this is more of a thread to note a particular change in drafting philosophy, do you think Gauthier has put more weight into a CHL first round pick, then Gainey use to?
No...Timmins is in charge of the draft. Gauthier And Gainey listended to him. And Tinordi and Leblanc were drafted out of a US developement program. Leblanc even played one year in Harvard. So I don't see any change of philosophy from Timmins's side.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:11 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

NCAA is getting much better.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote