HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs fans protest ideas against NHL *Check OP* (Protest at Bell Centre on Tuesday)

View Poll Results: Are you attending this rally?
Yes 7 5.79%
No 97 80.17%
No, but I support it 17 14.05%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
If you really wanna get a discussion going, I think it would be best to take a step back. Organizing a rally on a whim can be bad. You may not intend for it to be so. But its a public event. And you might not be able to control your own crowd. Not that I am expecting anything violent, but I just think its wise to take a step back for a while and really think about what it is you want to do. You never know what a few people can do that could end up making you look more stupid. It is something worth considering.

Why not wait a while? Organize a bit better. Come up with some articulate objectives for your protest/rally. And I think the best thing to do, at this point would be to try make it less about us. See if you can organize some kind of event with fans of other teams. Fans across the league rallying against headshots and whatnot. That sends a better message.
Very good points jefferiah.

Old
03-12-2011, 02:46 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

vCash: 500
It would look so much better if you can gather up some Boston fans as well to protest with. Gather up fans from every team and create a mass.

If someone would show up to this rally wearing a B's jersey with Chara or Lucic on the back, I have this feeling that they won't be greeted with open arms right now.

Old
03-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
You know what. I felt the same way. But there are a lot of people around the league and fans who felt that what Chara did was an accident. I am not saying they are right, but if they believe that, then whats to say the league didnt believe that as well. Opinions are split on Chara's intent, and really....there are a lot of circumstantial things that make us think it seems pretty obvious.....but we dont know.
Its because they don't know the full context of the incident.

Hab fans and Bruin fans do.

Old
03-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsHockey View Post
It would look so much better if you can gather up some Boston fans as well to protest with. Gather up fans from every team and create a mass.

If someone would show up to this rally wearing a B's jersey with Chara or Lucic on the back, I have this feeling that they won't be greeted with open arms right now.
Personally I'd be ok with that. I agree with you though, now might not be the time to mix Bruins and Habs fans together in one place.

Old
03-12-2011, 02:58 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Its because they don't know the full context of the incident.

Hab fans and Bruin fans do.
Those things are still circumstantial. Hey, dont worry man, I get it. But there is still a possibility that what Chara did was an accident. Having some time to think about it, the explanation that the hand went high afterward as a follow through.....I gotta admit man....thats very possible. 13 year in the NHL as an elite defenseman or not, guys do make mistakes. And that is reasonable doubt. Everyone is drawing parallels to the law. Onus to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt is also part of the law. Even if he lied afterwards about Patches jumping in, that could still be explained away as a guy knowing full well he could be hated a long time for this. Imagine if you accidentally seriously injured a guy at the Bell Centre. You might say anything it takes just to get out of there alive. I am not saying thats what happened. But its possible. And we have to consider that.

If Chara did that intentionally and he gets off, that sucks. But if he didn't and becomes the league's Hitler for a few years, that aint cool either.

Old
03-12-2011, 02:59 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Personally I'd be ok with that. I agree with you though, now might not be the time to mix Bruins and Habs fans together in one place.
It's an understatement. Look at the Chara thread on the main board.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:01 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
It's often not a good idea for large groups of Habs fans to mix with other Habs fans in one public place.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Those things are still circumstantial. Hey, dont worry man, I get it. But there is still a possibility that what Chara did was an accident. Having some time to think about it, the explanation that the hand went high afterward as a follow through.....I gotta admit man....thats very possible. 13 year in the NHL as an elite defenseman or not, guys do make mistakes. And that is reasonable doubt. Everyone is drawing parallels to the law. Onus to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt is also part of the law. Even if he lied afterwards about Patches jumping in, that could still be explained away as a guy knowing full well he could be hated a long time for this. Imagine if you accidentally seriously injured a guy at the Bell Centre. You might say anything it takes just to get out of there alive. I am not saying thats what happened. But its possible. And we have to consider that.

If Chara did that intentionally and he gets off, that sucks. But if he didn't and becomes the league's Hitler for a few years, that aint cool either.
If it was an accident wouldn't he have apologized?

Old
03-12-2011, 03:03 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Those things are still circumstantial. Hey, dont worry man, I get it. But there is still a possibility that what Chara did was an accident. Having some time to think about it, the explanation that the hand went high afterward as a follow through.....I gotta admit man....thats very possible. And that is reasonable doubt. Everyone is drawing parallels to the law. Onus to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt is also part of the law. Even if he lied afterwards about Patches jumping in, that could still be explained away as a guy knowing full well he could be hated a long time for this. Imagine if you accidentally seriously injured a guy at the Bell Centre. You might say anything it takes just to get out of there alive. I am not saying thats what happened. But its possible. And we have to consider that.

If for some reason Chara has to to court. He had quite a few contradiction statements the last few days. Could these contradiction/lying can be used against him?

Old
03-12-2011, 03:04 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
You would think so. But, still is that proof. Hey, I know it doesnt look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
If for some reason Chara has to to court. He had quite a few contradiction statements the last few days. Could these contradiction/lying can be used against him?
I suppose they could. But even so do we really know?

What if he is scared that no matter what he says people will blame him and is looking for anyway to make himself look better? Innocent people lie, too.

I am not saying I buy it. But he probably will not be suspended after the fact anyways.

The result of that hit was horrible but we cant really know. We can't. I would not have been against two or three games. And if Chara booing gets to be a regular thing, maybe Chara would have preferred that as well.

In the game before that though, there was the Pyatt fight. To me, that is so much more clear cut. It is not in the heat of the moment. The play is stopped and there is a guy punching another guy in the face with a piece of equipment. His hand is definitely not following through accidentally 20 times in succession. That should have been a clear suspension.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:08 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Unless he feels he did nothing wrong and maybe that's why he doesn't feel the need to. Always two sides to the coin.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Prudentius

I posted it a few days ago in a different thread, but march 15th is also the date for the anti-police brutality march(which has turned into a riot every year for over a decade now). It also starts 1 hour before this planned rally. I wouldn't be surprised if they squeeze by and try to grab a few angry fans with them.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:18 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudentius View Post
I posted it a few days ago in a different thread, but march 15th is also the date for the anti-police brutality march(which has turned into a riot every year for over a decade now). It also starts 1 hour before this planned rally. I wouldn't be surprised if they squeeze by and try to grab a few angry fans with them.
Well that protest will definitely turn into something heated as it does every single year.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudentius View Post
Yep that's what I was saying too. No one is going to read that there was a anti-police brutality protest before the rally. They will just read, HABS RALLY LEADS TO RIOT.

Honestly horrible timing.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:21 PM
andy28

Headshots are not exclusively a Habs issue, so a rally about em should not be a Habs rally.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:28 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Yep that's what I was saying too. No one is going to read that there was a anti-police brutality protest before the rally. They will just read, HABS RALLY LEADS TO RIOT.

Honestly horrible timing.
Oh the Press is going to have a field day.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsHockey View Post
Oh the Press is going to have a field day.
Yep, and generalize sets in and Habs fans are going to look like huge hypocrites.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't agree with you guys about the Chara hit, but the best thing you can do in protest is to not show up to games or watch them on tv. I know it may sound like I am just being a dick or whatever, but that is really the only way to get people to listen. You can rally all you want but as long as you keep buying tickets and watching the games, they won't listen. I know it would be tough to stop paying attention, especially at this point in the season, but that's really the only way to get anything accomplished in a situation like this.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't agree with you guys about the Chara hit, but the best thing you can do in protest is to not show up to games or watch them on tv. I know it may sound like I am just being a dick or whatever, but that is really the only way to get people to listen. You can rally all you want but as long as you keep buying tickets and watching the games, they won't listen. I know it would be tough to stop paying attention, especially at this point in the season, but that's really the only way to get anything accomplished in a situation like this.
I think protesting won't do anything and I think not going to games is impossible. The Habs have a huge HUGE waiting list for season tickets, so if a few people decide not to go.. there will be alot more who will go. I think it could be effective, but I also think it's imposible.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:39 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I think protesting won't do anything and I think not going to games is impossible. The Habs have a huge HUGE waiting list for season tickets, so if a few people decide not to go.. there will be alot more who will go. I think it could be effective, but I also think it's imposible.
Yeah that's what I think too. Then again, it isn't really the Habs you are mad it, it is the NHL so I guess it also wouldn't be a good idea in that respect either. You'd really be hurting the Habs just as much, if not more, than the NHL.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:42 PM
AntonCH

An option for Bettman

This idea arose after Bettman's comments in response to Air Canada's statement
It seems that Bettman thinks that this is his game, enough so that he can tell a major sponsor where to go.
So I say the Habs and some major sponsors along with the rest of the Canadian teams send a msg of their own to Bettman.
It is no secret that the 6 Canadian franchises bring in 33% of the league revenue, at the same time you have disgruntled ownership groups like that in Pittsburgh.
I say get together and throw your weight around much like Ferrari did to Ecclestone.
All you would need is 10 teams and several sponsors to band together, we may even be able to take back the Stanley cup as Lord Stanley did originally donate it to the "Canadian champion". This would probably be for the courts to decide, but the case could probably be made.
Add teams in hamilton Quebec and Winnipeg and all of a sudden you have a powerful rival to the much weakened NHL.

Not as good as pulling a Gilooly on him but a lot more legal.
He may be able to say no to Air Canada, but how about Air Canada, Reebok, Molson, Tim Hortons, Via Rail et al

Old
03-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah that's what I think too. Then again, it isn't really the Habs you are mad it, it is the NHL so I guess it also wouldn't be a good idea in that respect either. You'd really be hurting the Habs just as much, if not more, than the NHL.
Yep exactly, and employees too.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Gary320

Does you even know how many contracts are in place. It's impossible.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:47 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Does you even know how many contracts are in place. It's impossible.
Contracts can be broken, just ask Bettman if he cares if AC backs out

Old
03-12-2011, 03:55 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
This idea arose after Bettman's comments in response to Air Canada's statement
It seems that Bettman thinks that this is his game, enough so that he can tell a major sponsor where to go.
It's not that simple. Bettman did not exactly tell them where to go. Whether you agree with the decision not to suspend, his comments to Air Canada were not out of line.

I'm not defending the league here. But you have to look at the other side of things as well.

Air Canada never made any stink about violence until the Pacioretty hit. Not a bit. Now you can argue that now is as good a time to start as any, and that appearing like a hypocrite does not mean you should not fight for what is right. Those are valid arguments all the way.

But.......

Here is the situation. AC makes a complaint after a hit to a habs player. They mention the players involved in their letter. AC is basically making a play to affect a decision on a particular incident involving a Hab. If Bettman lets what appears at this point to be a Habs-favoring sponsor affect league decisions he also would not be doing his job as a leader in the league and could take just as much flack from 29 other teams. He can't let one sponsor among others tell the league how it is to be run. Not that I think this is why they did not suspend, but its possible that something like Air Canada did could have actually ruined our chances of getting one. While the league has to start looking better on head shots, they also can't look like they are bending to pressure from habs fans with lots of money. If an owner of a business sponsoring the NHL were a Bruins fan, and he started trying to use his weight to affect decisions on our players....that would look kind of bad to us.... and the rest of the league. You would want your commissioner to make a stand and say. "Look, you may disagree with our disciplinary committee, and if you want to take your money elsewhere fine. But we can't let you become our disciplinary committee. No deal."

This is one more reason why it is very important, if you really want to make a change in the league, that you make this less about the habs and steer away from making Patches the poster boy. There have been other teams pissed off about other incidents for the past few years now. If you wanna change things, we gotta let go of some of our current anger on this incident. And start making it about other people too. Measure twice before you cut. If you do things right, you will get the right result. If you do it willy nilly you will have problems later.

Last edited by andy28: 03-12-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Closed Thread