HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs fans protest ideas against NHL *Check OP* (Protest at Bell Centre on Tuesday)

View Poll Results: Are you attending this rally?
Yes 7 5.79%
No 97 80.17%
No, but I support it 17 14.05%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2011, 02:26 PM
  #776
ScottFC
Registered User
 
ScottFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: чуд
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Riding a guy into the boards does not result in a penalty unless it's truly late, which I don't feel this hit was, seemed like a standard hit to me, at most borderline interference. Again:
1) If Chara intentionally drove his head into the stanchion, that's terrible
2) If he was just finishing his check and the stanchion part was an accident, it's just a standard play
3) I'm really not convinced there was any intent to injure here, guys get ridden into the stanchion by mistake a bunch of times every season, this looks like another such accident to me except with worse consequences due to bad luck for Max Pac
While watching the play LIVE I repeated to myself this at least 4 times " Chara Please Hold up ". I saw it coming 2-3 and maybe even 4 seconds before the event. Saying it wasnt a late hit it is just stupid, sorry man no insult intended.

ScottFC is online now  
Old
03-15-2011, 02:27 PM
  #777
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,827
vCash: 500
Thanks for adding the poll mods.

Pretty interesting after all the yelling and screaming, only 3 HF members are planning on attending the rally. Granted the poll hasn't been up that long.

macavoy is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 02:27 PM
  #778
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Murphy says, "I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous."

Illegal play with a terrible injury should equal further discipline, that is basically what we are saying. Intent doesn't matter, never has.
Did he actually say that in those words? "correct call for interference"

I seriously feel like I'm dreaming here. Just at a loss for words, really.

Jigger77 is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 02:28 PM
  #779
usernam
Registered User
 
usernam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom9St View Post
Why did Canadiens fans always boo Chara going back way before any of this?
It was "respectful" boo'ing. Like Kaberle, Sundin, etc. Remember he was cheered in Montreal at thr ASG. Now it's personal.

usernam is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 02:30 PM
  #780
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
It was "respectful" boo'ing. Like Kaberle, Sundin, etc. Remember he was cheered in Montreal at thr ASG. Now it's personal.
I'm actually happy he's not coming back to the BC this year. Could've been ugly.

Jigger77 is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 02:32 PM
  #781
RC51
Registered User
 
RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Riding a guy into the boards does not result in a penalty unless it's truly late, which I don't feel this hit was, seemed like a standard hit to me, at most borderline interference. Again:
1) If Chara intentionally drove his head into the stanchion, that's terrible
2) If he was just finishing his check and the stanchion part was an accident, it's just a standard play
3) I'm really not convinced there was any intent to injure here, guys get ridden into the stanchion by mistake a bunch of times every season, this looks like another such accident to me except with worse consequences due to bad luck for Max Pac
OH yea this from a guy from Vancouver. lets see the from the team that sent bertuzzi out to kill Moore. Of course you don't want to suspend anybody and pay for your crimes or have your players pay for crimes of have your team somehow punished for part crimes.
It's just a hockey play and besides all that Moore deserved it all, right!

RC51 is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 02:32 PM
  #782
Habit11
Registered User
 
Habit11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Did he actually say that in those words? "correct call for interference"

I seriously feel like I'm dreaming here. Just at a loss for words, really.
Yeah. That's a direct quote.

Habit11 is online now  
Old
03-15-2011, 02:34 PM
  #783
12jf54
Registered User
 
12jf54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 881
vCash: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I'm actually happy he's not coming back to the BC this year. Could've been ugly.
What about playoffs ?

12jf54 is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 02:34 PM
  #784
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Yeah. That's a direct quote.
Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12jf54 View Post
What about playoffs ?
Yeah true. Let's just hope it doesn't degenerate into something where they need to cancel the game or something crazy. People have thrown things on the ice for a lot less.


Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 03-15-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Jigger77 is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 02:40 PM
  #785
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,286
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I'm actually happy he's not coming back to the BC this year. Could've been ugly.
A 1st round series is very possible, scary when you think about it. Lots of wacko's out there who could do something very stupid. I hope we don't play them cause it could get very ugly

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 03:06 PM
  #786
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,487
vCash: 500
Since when does an "interference call" make this hit less dangerous in the eyes of some fans and so called experts? Or so it seems anyway.

Two games ago Boston vs. Montreal Marchand should have been called for interference that could of resulted in a player leaving the ice on a stretcher. Marchand also came in with a late hit on an icing.

Boston players are finding new ways to make the interference call work for them in a dangerous way. Chara missing a legal check IMO makes it more of a dirty hit that some can just call "interference". I just don't get it.

I'll never get over these facts: that Chara's descriptions of the play vary; other NHL players dispel his theory that he wasn't aware of his circumstances; there was a definite history between the two players that has been ignored; and last but not least Chara was not suspended for at least a game.

I wish Boston would lose every game for the rest of the season. I really do. I very much dislike Philly for some of the same reasons but quite honestly Boston is starting to make them look like choir boys.

swimmer77 is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
  #787
overlords
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 26,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Wow.



Yeah true. Let's just hope it doesn't degenerate into something where they need to cancel the game or something crazy. People have thrown things on the ice for a lot less.
Throwing things on the ice? If chara comes back to montreal this year, I'm afraid there's much worse than can happen than people throwing stuff on the ice.

overlords is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
  #788
ScottFC
Registered User
 
ScottFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: чуд
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
A 1st round series is very possible, scary when you think about it. Lots of wacko's out there who could do something very stupid. I hope we don't play them cause it could get very ugly
I hope nothing stupid happens but it would be funny if fans did things like shaking the bruins bus while coming into the Bell Center or call bomb threats to the hotel they're staying at so that they don't sleep all night lol

Who needs an enforcer when you have the most intimidating fans in hockey!!

ScottFC is online now  
Old
03-15-2011, 03:13 PM
  #789
LucicTrain*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Riding a guy into the boards does not result in a penalty unless it's truly late, which I don't feel this hit was, seemed like a standard hit to me, at most borderline interference. Again:
1) If Chara intentionally drove his head into the stanchion, that's terrible
2) If he was just finishing his check and the stanchion part was an accident, it's just a standard play
3) I'm really not convinced there was any intent to injure here, guys get ridden into the stanchion by mistake a bunch of times every season, this looks like another such accident to me except with worse consequences due to bad luck for Max Pac
1.) If you watch the replay you can see that Chara is not trying to put his head into the turnbuckle, his arm is on Pacioretty's shoulder. I believe he was trying to put him into the turnbuckle just not his head. It's not they type of player he is.
2.) It was not an accident, guys put people into the turnbuckles all the time. It already happened a few days ago. It's a legal hockey play.
3.) I'm convinced he was 100% trying to put him into the turnbuckle. Everyone knows that area on the ice (that includes Pacioretty) and Chara was trying to make him taste a little turnbuckle, I have no doubt he wasn't trying to break Pacioretty's neck, it's just not the type of player he is. As Don Cherry said, the guy is 6'9 260+ if he wanted to he could kill someone on the ice and in his 13 year career this is 1st time he has come close to doing anything borderline dirty or something that would result in a suspension.

LucicTrain* is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 03:16 PM
  #790
Habs10Habs
Retired
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,722
vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Thanks for adding the poll mods.

Pretty interesting after all the yelling and screaming, only 3 HF members are planning on attending the rally. Granted the poll hasn't been up that long.
You're welcome, though I should have added a third option. No, I can't go, but yes I support the protest.

Habs10Habs is online now  
Old
03-15-2011, 03:19 PM
  #791
roy munson
Bon voyage capitaine
 
roy munson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDoNot View Post
I hope nothing stupid happens but it would be funny if fans did things like shaking the bruins bus while coming into the Bell Center or call bomb threats to the hotel they're staying at so that they don't sleep all night lol

Who needs an enforcer when you have the most intimidating fans in hockey!!
That I could live with and it would be funny. On the other hand, throwing beer, bricks, dwarfs and stuff, not so much.

roy munson is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 03:22 PM
  #792
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom9St View Post
1.) If you watch the replay you can see that Chara is not trying to put his head into the turnbuckle, his arm is on Pacioretty's shoulder. I believe he was trying to put him into the turnbuckle just not his head. It's not they type of player he is.
2.) It was not an accident, guys put people into the turnbuckles all the time. It already happened a few days ago. It's a legal hockey play.
3.) I'm convinced he was 100% trying to put him into the turnbuckle. Everyone knows that area on the ice (that includes Pacioretty) and Chara was trying to make him taste a little turnbuckle, I have no doubt he wasn't trying to break Pacioretty's neck, it's just not the type of player he is. As Don Cherry said, the guy is 6'9 260+ if he wanted to he could kill someone on the ice and in his 13 year career this is 1st time he has come close to doing anything borderline dirty or something that would result in a suspension.
Bertuzzi wasn't considered a dirty player also... I don't care what his record says... he made an unbelievable dirty play that almost killed someone... he deserved a suspension... maybe not 20 games, but at least something that gets on his ****ing record...

Btw, we could show half a dozen or so plays against the habs where Chara was pretty dirty...

MTL-rules is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 03:26 PM
  #793
LucicTrain*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Bertuzzi wasn't considered a dirty player also... I don't care what his record says... he made an unbelievable dirty play that almost killed someone... he deserved a suspension... maybe not 20 games, but at least something that gets on his ****ing record...

Btw, we could show half a dozen or so plays against the habs where Chara was pretty dirty...
It's really not fair to compare what Chara did to what Bertuzzi did, but as I outlined that is not a dirty hit/play that Chara made as outlined in the rulebook. You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but i think it's irresponsible to compare the Chara and Bertuzzi incidents.

LucicTrain* is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 03:33 PM
  #794
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom9St View Post
It's really not fair to compare what Chara did to what Bertuzzi did, but as I outlined that is not a dirty hit/play that Chara made as outlined in the rulebook. You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but i think it's irresponsible to compare the Chara and Bertuzzi incidents.
I'm not necessarely trying to campare both plays... but to show that someone can do something very dangerous and stupid that deserves a big fatty suspension even if he's known to be a clean player.

I could have said the same thing to an old habs prospect : Alexander Perezhogin. He's not a dirty player, he's not overly physical but he once made a 2 hands slash directly to the face of an opponant.

He never was a dirty player but his reaction was unacceptable (he got a one year suspension, btw). Chara's hit was extremely ill advised and dangerous... I don't care how good a guy Chara is... he deserved a suspension.

MTL-rules is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 03:35 PM
  #795
Habit11
Registered User
 
Habit11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom9St View Post
It's really not fair to compare what Chara did to what Bertuzzi did, but as I outlined that is not a dirty hit/play that Chara made as outlined in the rulebook. You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but i think it's irresponsible to compare the Chara and Bertuzzi incidents.
Murphy on Chara hit: "I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous."

From the rulebook: "Moving laterally and without establishing body position, then making contact with the non-puck carrier is not permitted and will be penalized as interference."

The NHL simply chose not to suspend Chara despite the illegal act, which Murphy admits happened. Interference is illegal.

Habit11 is online now  
Old
03-15-2011, 03:38 PM
  #796
LucicTrain*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Murphy on Chara hit: "I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous."

From the rulebook: "Moving laterally and without establishing body position, then making contact with the non-puck carrier is not permitted and will be penalized as interference."

The NHL simply chose not to suspend Chara despite the illegal act, which Murphy admits happened. Interference is illegal.
You can't suspend someone for an interference penalty.

LucicTrain* is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 03:41 PM
  #797
Habit11
Registered User
 
Habit11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom9St View Post
You can't suspend someone for an interference penalty.
Is that in the rulebook too?

Habit11 is online now  
Old
03-15-2011, 03:43 PM
  #798
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom9St View Post
You can't suspend someone for an interference penalty.
You can't suspend someone for a slash... unless it's a dangerous one like Cammaleri did...

Basically, yes you can and you should suspend someone for an illegal hit if it caused an injury.

MTL-rules is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 03:48 PM
  #799
LucicTrain*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
You can't suspend someone for a slash... unless it's a dangerous one like Cammaleri did...

Basically, yes you can and you should suspend someone for an illegal hit if it caused an injury.
The hit isn't illegal though, the interference is what was illegal. You don't have to hit someone to interfere.

LucicTrain* is offline  
Old
03-15-2011, 03:49 PM
  #800
Cam Neely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
lmao


i hope Pax gets better and is back soon, he is a promising prospect.

he will be back by next fall, possibly even deep in the playoffs this year if the habs get that far.
he is a hockey player and understands the risks and rewards of the game.

no need to worry too much.

Cam Neely is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.