HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs fans protest ideas against NHL *Check OP* (Protest at Bell Centre on Tuesday)

View Poll Results: Are you attending this rally?
Yes 7 5.79%
No 97 80.17%
No, but I support it 17 14.05%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
EXACTLY!! the only people that can change anything are the players themselves and they don't want to or they are afraid to say it. I believe they are more afraid to say it. I mean max could of died and people would still have said its a ''hockey play''. Thats how crazy people in the hockey business can be.
The players will never change it. They don't have the perspective. It can only be imposed on them from above. This is how it went in the OHL. Granted, OHL players don't have the same voice, and the league and teams should feel more responsibility to protect them, given the age issue. And there's not as much money at stake. But really, it was about Branch taking personal responsibility to drive home stiffer discinplinary standards, basically in the face of what was universal criticism from within hockey circles.

Every change is opposed as "bleeding heart liberals trying to mess with our game anyway". But it never really changes the game very much. You can't do much to mess it up. All the trapping/obstruction stuff, the shootout, the instigator penalties and the demise of the pure enforcer, it's all stuff that comes and goes, and it doesn't really change anything. You could make the nets bigger, you could go to Olympic ice, you could give out 10-20 game suspensions independent of "intent" instead of 1-5 game suspensions, and it doesn't have any real effect on "the game" at a fundamental level.

All the changes are made for reasons, however, and they all have effects, even if those effects aren't significant on the fundamental level of "the game". People shouldn't be so afraid of them.

The NHL doesn't seem inclined to be very proactive about reducing the odds of having their Dale Earnhardt moment. It could happen with or without them being proactive about it. Society will be harder on them if they aren't proactive than if they were, and if it happens anyway. I don't think the NHL cares, though. Which is their prerogative. Bettman thinks he's bulletproof. And maybe he is.

I think I support the protest now. Mostly just after seeing how much other people resent it and get their fur ruffled by it. As if a simple protest is such a terrible thing. It's a good unity thing for Habs fans, if nothing else. Quebec is a more progressive society than most NHL venues, so it's probably reasonable that the embryonic tendrils of an evolution in the approach to this issue start there.

Finding it kind of ironic how other fans are so riled up about Habs fans getting so... riled up?

Old
03-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
You can't suspend someone for a slash... unless it's a dangerous one like Cammaleri did...

Basically, yes you can and you should suspend someone for an illegal hit if it caused an injury.
To add to your point, also included in the interference rule:

"56.4 Major Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence, to a player guilty of interfering with an opponent"

Had the league taken it one step further, and gave him between 1 - 3 games, there's no protest, there's no urgency at the GM meetings, no threatening from sponsors, none of this.

Old
03-15-2011, 03:53 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
The NHL simply chose not to suspend Chara despite the illegal act, which Murphy admits happened. Interference is illegal.
I think intent is always a factor, though. Just like result. I think there should have been a suspension but a lot of people do seem to disagree and I dont think all of them are just trying to stick it to the habs. I do think you are right. And certainly a few games would not have hurt in this case. That play just happens to be iffy enough that probably a lot of people feel you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. That sucks, especially if Chara did that intentionally.

But it happened now. Nothing can be done about it. Harboring resentment gets you nowhere, even if that resentment was justified.

Old
03-15-2011, 03:53 PM
LucicTrain*

Quote:

"56.4 Major Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence, to a player guilty of interfering with an opponent"

Had the league taken it one step further, and gave him between 1 - 3 games, there's no protest, there's no urgency at the GM meetings, no threatening from sponsors, none of this.
I really doubt that. People still would have been freaking out, arguing that he should have got 20 games. I simple one or two game suspension was not gunna solve any of this whatsoever.

Old
03-15-2011, 03:56 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
All the upcoming changes are good for the game. People from other fan base like the direction of the upcoming changes but they forgot that the NHL was forced to expediate the whole process by the intense pressure from the Habs fans, the people of Quebec, other Canadain fans, and the people of Canada.

Old
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I think I support the protest now. Mostly just after seeing how much other people resent it and get their fur ruffled by it. As if a simple protest is such a terrible thing. It's a good unity thing for Habs fans, if nothing else. Quebec is a more progressive society than most NHL venues, so it's probably reasonable that the embryonic tendrils of an evolution in the approach to this issue start there.

Finding it kind of ironic how other fans are so riled up about Habs fans getting so... riled up?

I think the people against the protest, especially non Habs fans, could care less whether it happens or not. Most of them are just thinking its Habs fan being riled up. Either way, even if you are right, and some people are pushing the bleeding heart thing too far, we also have to look at ourselves. I truly feel we are pushing this way too far as well.

Let's see what comes of this new action by the league. In any case, shouting cannot change the fact that this takes time. So I just suggest taking it down a notch. The best action would be to keep using media pressure.

Old
Dialamo
Nu Joyzee Dovals

Quote:

Then again, would people really be satisfied with a suspension of 1-3 games? With the overreaction to this accident, there probably still would of been backlash as to why Chara wasn't suspended for a much longer period of time. I don't think a small suspension like that would of changed much to be honest, but that's just my opinion. I'm open to all ideas.

Old
03-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom9St View Post
I really doubt that. People still would have been freaking out, arguing that he should have got 20 games. I simple one or two game suspension was not gunna solve any of this whatsoever.
I haven't really seen many people in this forum alone arguing for 20 games. Maybe on the extreme end people are arguing for that, but that is a minority. Even Max said, 1, 2 or 3 games. Something.

You said earlier you can't suspend a guy for interference, but you didn't address the Major Penalty part of the interference rule that I quoted from the rule book... why not? Am I making a poor argument that the league also could have looked at the degree of violence on the interference call that the on ice officials determined took place, and given him 1 - 3 games?

Old
03-15-2011, 04:01 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
I think the people against the protest, especially non Habs fans, could care less whether it happens or not. Most of them are just thinking its Habs fan being riled up. Either way, even if you are right, and some people are pushing the bleeding heart thing too far, we also have to look at ourselves. I truly feel we are pushing this way too far as well.

Let's see what comes of this new action by the league. In any case, shouting cannot change the fact that this takes time. So I just suggest taking it down a notch. The best action would be to keep using media pressure.
IMHO, always listen to your heart. The pressure from our fanbase and other Canadians has forced the NHL to make some changes to ensure player's safety which is a good thing. I do not care what other fanbase is thinking about us.

Old
03-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialamo View Post
Then again, would people really be satisfied with a suspension of 1-3 games? With the overreaction to this accident, there probably still would of been backlash as to why Chara wasn't suspended for a much longer period of time. I don't think a small suspension like that would of changed much to be honest, but that's just my opinion. I'm open to all ideas.
Pacioretty would have been ok with it, like he said, that's all he was looking for, and that would have gone a long way to calm the masses. People still would be upset with Chara, but not to the degree we've seen for the length that we've seen.

Old
03-15-2011, 04:07 PM
coolasprICE

I swear to god, if this protest amounts to a couple hundred kids chanting ''Ole Ole'' I'm going to protest the protest

Old
03-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialamo View Post
I feel like it would have made a huge difference. At least in terms of all the fan backlash. Any suspension at all, and I don't think there'd have been this rally, for example. It also wouldn't have made for quite the same impact on TV News broadcasts, maybe not even on the sponsor reactions. Having a suspension vs. no suspension really changes the tone of how some of them can write their scripts.

Hopefully somewhere in the back of the NHL collective mind, they'll think twice next time. And if they're on the fence (as opposed to being "extraordinarily comfortable", say) about whether to suspend or not, the fear of some of this negative PR might sway them. (And yes, whether the next time is against a Habs player or not... as if that matters in this issue). The fan backlash is probably meaningless. But if there is any potential for it to have any miniscule effect at all, it's worth all this hoopla taking place. Better than nothing. Baby steps. I bet there'd have been none of this if there had been a 2 game suspension.

Old
03-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Bobs your uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDoNot View Post
Yea this happennd every game and results in a penalty well this time the other player almost broke his neck which is why is why there should be a suspension. Get your head out of ur ass. Its an illegal hockey play not a strong hockey play.
I thought the protest wasn't about the Chara incident but rather about head-shots in general, ... or was it about suspensions for interference ....?

Last edited by Bobs your uncle: 03-15-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old
03-15-2011, 04:52 PM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I swear to god, if this protest amounts to a couple hundred kids chanting ''Ole Ole'' I'm going to protest the protest
i lol'd irl.

would be

Old
03-15-2011, 05:04 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
i lol'd irl.

would be
you know it's going to be that..

une deux trois quatre on veut pas bettman .. .ole , ole, ole ole... une deux trios quatre on veut pas bettman .. ole ole ole

Old
03-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Habsfan18

LOL at the "Lucic is a *****" t-shirt on TSN.

Old
03-15-2011, 05:07 PM
HomaridII

they just showed the protest on TSN, noooo comment.

Old
03-15-2011, 05:08 PM
bbfan1972
Repeat

Not trying to troll here, seriously. Where were all these mouthpieces in the media? The "true" hockey fans? The sponsors threatening to cancel when David Booth, Patrice Bergeron, David Perron, Marc Savard, or Sidney Crosby were hit? Bruce Boudreau said it perfectly, if this was reversed, there would be nothing.

I feel bad for Max and liked him when he was a Bruin, and I hope he will regain his career.

But to have a protest about this, and the constant onslaught of people feeling victimized has been a little too much for a Canadian hockey fan.

Just my .02 and I'm sorry if I've offended some of the hab fans.

For the record, this just adds to the rivalry like when the Rocket two-handed a Bruin back in the day.

Old
03-15-2011, 05:08 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
they just showed the protest on TSN, noooo comment.
Please comment for those who don't have TSN

Old
03-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan1972 View Post
Not trying to troll here, seriously. Where were all these mouthpieces in the media? The "true" hockey fans? The sponsors threatening to cancel when David Booth, Patrice Bergeron, David Perron, Marc Savard, or Sidney Crosby were hit? Bruce Boudreau said it perfectly, if this was reversed, there would be nothing.

I feel bad for Max and liked him when he was a Bruin, and I hope he will regain his career.

But to have a protest about this, and the constant onslaught of people feeling victimized has been a little too much for a Canadian hockey fan.

For the record, this just adds to the rivalry like when the Rocket two-handed a Bruin back in the day.
Max was a Bruin? News to me.

Old
03-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan1972 View Post

Max a Bruin?? Do you even know who Chara hit?

Old
03-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

I can't decide which demonstration to go to? The one that protests police brutality in Montreal or the one that protests lack of Policing in Montreal Hockey games.

Pointing out that hypocrisy, you bet your sweet ass that's worth a ban from the Habs Board.

Old
03-15-2011, 05:31 PM
lampshade*

Quote:

Neither of these two things are going to accomplish anything anyhow. Bettman already to Air Canada to jog on, and the protest will do nothing but provide a few laughs for some people. The protest will not result in a suspension for Chara and will have 0 effect on the decisions made at the GM meeting. Usually protests have some sort of effect on change (see Egypt) this Bell Center protest has absolutely no effect on any decisions that will be made.

Old
03-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Aurel Joliat

I am totally agree with Boudreau.

This fans protest is a big joke. If you don't like hockey, watch an other channel, stay at home or watch an other sport !

I am not proud to be a Canadiens fan today.

Old
03-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
I can't decide which demonstration to go to? The one that protests police brutality in Montreal or the one that protests lack of Policing in Montreal Hockey games.

Pointing out that hypocrisy, you bet your sweet ass that's worth a ban from the Habs Board.
Doesn't deserve a ban because it doesn't make sense.

I don't even care about either protest, but how does two separate entities acting in conflicting manners = hypocrisy?

Sad thing is I bet it took you a while to think that up...

Closed Thread