HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Sign Mike Knuble and Turner Stevenson

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2004, 09:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennevol10
I have two words for you Salary cap. Flyers trying to reduce the team salary because they know if there is a salary cap in next CBA... Flyers will be way over it.. I do not see this happen but you can sure dream about it... Good Luck...
By the way Sykora made $4.2 Millions last year and he has two years around $10 Millions grantee contract... Smyth made $3.4 Millions last year and I am not sure how much he will make this coming year.. Compare to these two players Handzus made only $1.5 Millions... I would rather have Handzus over those players business and players wise...

On Turner Stevenson in TSN players profile
"Is strong along the boards and possesses good body-checking skills. Can kill penalties and is a solid defensive forward. Displays sound leadership qualities."

Big winder but slow skater... I don't know why Clarke signed him..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...167&hubName=NJ
one word
physicalness
something Brashear seemed to forget how to do enough of.

Old
07-03-2004, 09:21 PM
Gags1288

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennevol10
I have two words for you Salary cap. Flyers trying to reduce the team salary because they know if there is a salary cap in next CBA... Flyers will be way over it.. I do not see this happen but you can sure dream about it... Good Luck...
By the way Sykora made $4.2 Millions last year and he has two years around $10 Millions grantee contract... Smyth made $3.4 Millions last year and I am not sure how much he will make this coming year.. Compare to these two players Handzus made only $1.5 Millions... I would rather have Handzus over those players business and players wise...

On Turner Stevenson in TSN players profile
"Is strong along the boards and possesses good body-checking skills. Can kill penalties and is a solid defensive forward. Displays sound leadership qualities."

Big winder but slow skater... I don't know why Clarke signed him..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...167&hubName=NJ
I don't think 2 million dollars is really too much of a factor, especially considering that Zus is an RFA and his salary will likely be upped into the 2.5 million dollar range. The flyers need scoring wingers if Zhamnov is resigned. They are real real solid down the middle, but with the departures of Recchi, Leclair, and Amonte there only scoring wingers are Gagne and Roenick. Both Smyth and Sykora would be perfect on this team and both players have shown that they can get it done in the playoffs, something that Handzus has not. That being said, it is not likely that the flyers could acquire Smyth for Zus, but Sykora could be a possibility as he is rumored to be on the block.

Old
07-03-2004, 09:29 PM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Knuble isn't Recchi a few years younger by any means.
I'd have to agree with that. However, Knuble is certainly the replacement for not resigning Recchi.

Old
07-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Bennevol10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288
I don't think 2 million dollars is really too much of a factor, especially considering that Zus is an RFA and his salary will likely be upped into the 2.5 million dollar range. The flyers need scoring wingers if Zhamnov is resigned. They are real real solid down the middle, but with the departures of Recchi, Leclair, and Amonte there only scoring wingers are Gagne and Roenick. Both Smyth and Sykora would be perfect on this team and both players have shown that they can get it done in the playoffs, something that Handzus has not. That being said, it is not likely that the flyers could acquire Smyth for Zus, but Sykora could be a possibility as he is rumored to be on the block.
Last time I checked Leclair and Amonte is still Flyers... Unless you know something we don't know... Please do share with us...

Old
07-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
one word
physicalness
something Brashear seemed to forget how to do enough of.
HAHA is Physicalness a word? But w/e I really like these signings and I really dont want zeus traded. He is our 2nd or 3rd best defencive forward only behind Prims and maby Gange. I would also like Handzus over Zhamnov.If we were to trade Zeus i would expect a either a first and an ok player or a player like a taungay or even a player like Brendan Morrison. IMO Handzus will be with us for a whil e.

Old
07-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
I'd have to agree with that. However, Knuble is certainly the replacement for not resigning Recchi.
Agreed, Stanley.

Good signings by Clarke. I like both of these players and I think they can help the team in different ways. These signings also reduce the chances that Amonte and LeClair return to the team.

Old
07-03-2004, 09:38 PM
BrindA17

Send a message via AIM to BrindA17
Ok, so we sign Knuble instead of Recchi?

Old
07-03-2004, 09:41 PM
blah

Recchi can play LW if he's interested in coming back.

Old
07-03-2004, 09:46 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I think this might mean that Zhamnov is also done in Philly although it slightly worries me that Clarke seems like he might be returning to the "big bad Flyers" I like Knuble a lot though and Stevenson is the type of guy that every team can use.

Old
07-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Rex88

These are solid signs that will not break the bank.
We needed a Knuble, a guy that plays hard and can chip in about 20 goals to go on the second line.
Stevenson is great, a bit over the top but I agree that Brash and/or Feds will be dealt when the time is right. I worry about his health, but if I could get value for Brash in a pick I would move him as Turner will likely make about half of what Brash is due and fills a similar role for the team.
We could still see Rex back and I hope so but I would doubt Zhamnov.

Old
07-03-2004, 10:13 PM
blah

If Recchi does not come back:
Quote:
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/edm49.html
The Oilers aren’t the only team trying to ink 32-year-old center Petr Nedved to a contract, reports the Edmonton Sun.

Barry would not confirm the interested teams, with the New York Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs and Philadelphia Flyers all rumored to have inquired. There's also been speculation the Los Angeles Kings are interested, but Barry neither confirmed nor denied that.
Would Nedved be a good fit on the Flyers? He's 6'3, other than that I don't know. One thing I do like is he's not injury prone and he played better after getting out of NY.
Quote:
Barry will be talking to the Oilers over the weekend. GM Kevin Lowe is believed to be pitching a three-year contract in the range of $8 million-$9 million.
That's less than what Zhamnov turned down.

Old
07-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Would Nedved be a good fit on the Flyers? He's 6'3, other than that I don't know. One thing I do like is he's not injury prone and he played better after getting out of NY.
I never liked Nedved, especially after he pulled that stunt in Pittsburgh.

That being said, he can play wing, and he's always been a very talented playmaker.

Old
07-03-2004, 10:50 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Clarke stays true to his word by:

a.) Not signing players right now because “there’s players out there we know we’d like to have on our team in the future, but they don’t know how much money they should make and we don’t know how much money they should make”, and

b.) Trying to get the team younger

*sigh*

I just seriously hope Knuble wasn't payed much more than $2 million, and Stevenson less than $1 million.

Last edited by ObeySteve: 07-03-2004 at 10:53 PM.
Old
07-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Stevenson will be paid at least 1.3M because he stated that he would refuse to take a pay-cut, and his interview said he was happy with the money... so....

I'm upset about this. Of all the teams for him to go to, he had to choose you guys. Bah.

Old
07-03-2004, 10:55 PM
blah

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=9229 I think it's been set.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

I think it's safe to say Clarke got Knuble for Primeau's right side, as he sees Primeau as a watered down version of Thornton. Best bet is Kapanen on his left side. Third line becomes a mystery with the only sure thing being Handzus. Maybe Radivojevic on the right but who on the left? Stevenson? Carter?

Gagne-Zhamnov-Roenick
Kapanen-Primeau-Knuble
Carter-Handzus-Radivojevic
Somik-Sharp-Stevenson

Brashear, Recchi, LeClair, Amonte, and Lapointe gone. Fedoruk the extra.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:16 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus
I think it's safe to say Clarke got Knuble for Primeau's right side, as he sees Primeau as a watered down version of Thornton. Best bet is Kapanen on his left side. Third line becomes a mystery with the only sure thing being Handzus. Maybe Radivojevic on the right but who on the left? Stevenson? Carter?

Gagne-Zhamnov-Roenick
Kapanen-Primeau-Knuble
Somik-Sharp-Stevenson

Huge assumption Zhamnov is returning, and especially that Carter is being moved to wing.

Old
07-04-2004, 12:59 AM
Blackjack

You guys will like Stevenson. He's not fast, but he leads by example with his effort on the ice. I've seen him turn the momentum many times with a big hit along the boards or gutsy play in the corners. He never quits and can make things happen. He'll also drop the gloves to defend teammates even when he's overmatched. I understand that some of you are concerned about his speed, but it's not so horrible that he's a liability.

I hope NJ fans don't boo him when plays here, he worked he worked hard for us.

Old
07-04-2004, 05:44 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Wow, this really caught me by surprise. We thought about Demitra the last few days, and now Clarkie inks Mike Knuble, which probably means the end of Rex in Philly .
But all in all, thi sis a good signing because we now have a solid 2nd line winger, who play both LW or RW. A big gritty player, who loves to get the job done along the boards. It's a nice addition.
The signing of Stevenson is great too. He will be a much more efficient fourth liner than Brash. And he adds size on the wing.

But we still have a big mess concerning the line up! Who will play at center? Who will be on the wings? etc. Many of you are speculating on a ideal roster but I just think it's way too early to set a probable roster. Just be patient...

BTW, why almost everybody is putting...
1 - Carter in the lineup??
2 - Carter on the wing??
Just wait training camp before such speculations. I hope he will crack the lineup. But he does, he will play center. No doubt about this!

Old
07-04-2004, 05:49 AM
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Knuble is Mark Recchi a few years younger.

Easy there GKJ, that comment smells of homerism.

Personally, I wanted Recchi resigned, but in this day and age of CBA uncertainty it wasnt going to happen. Knuble is a nice pickup.

Edit: I think everyone is eager to put Carter into the lineup because that is what Clarke likes to do. He likes to throw the rookie into the starting line up and see what he can do. He did it with Gagne and Williams. I wouldnt be surprised to see him do it with Carter.

Last edited by The Flash: 07-04-2004 at 05:55 AM.
Old
07-04-2004, 06:43 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash
Easy there GKJ, that comment smells of homerism.
I don't think so. Mike Knuble has always been underrated and not given enough credit. At least he'll get the role Mark Recchi was supposed to have the past 2 years. Put Knuble with Handzus instead of Somik and both will excel.

Old
07-04-2004, 09:04 AM
IronMarshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTY_PERSON
Solid pick ups. Now if only we could dump Amonte, LeCrap, and Burke we would be golden. Rolston can come too.
You must be a young'un, dissing Big John like that. If you want to say he is over the hill, yesterday's news, making too much dough ray me, etc, then say it.People would respect that, but to dis a guy who gave his heart and soul to the OrganIzation is just wrong. LeClair has been a GREAT player for this team for many years. Show some respect.

Old
07-04-2004, 09:06 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus

Gagne-Zhamnov-Roenick
Kapanen-Primeau-Knuble
Somik-Sharp-Stevenson

FWIW, knuble played LW for the past 2 years. great guy though.

Old
07-04-2004, 09:27 AM
renberg

This means that Fedoruk and Brashear are gone. Brashear doesn't display his toughness often enough; Fedoruk doesn't have the skills for the NHL. It probably means that Carter and maybe Richards make the team. With Knuble and Stevenson on the ice with the rookies, teams will take less liberties with them.

Old
07-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Gert B Frobe

I really like both these signings. Knuble will really help the team and would be great with Primeau IMO. Stevensen is a perfect 3rd/4th liner for this team.

Now all we need to do is resign Zhamnov or pick up Demitra and the team will be set. If Carter makes the team - what a bonus.

Let's hope there's a season.

Closed Thread