HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Do you still have faith in Muckler?

View Poll Results: Do you think he can bring this team over the hill?
Yes 36 43.90%
No 46 56.10%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2004, 11:26 AM
7bucs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
The Sens shaved about 12M off the payroll[Lalime, Bonk, Bondra, Lesyschun].

Add Hasek 2M and raises for some guys (approx. 5M) and there's about $5M left. Maybe more.

With Dominator now in town, look for old pal Zhitnik to jump on board but after that who knows: Weimer(?), Shanny(?), Fedorov(?)
....and that would take up the extra $5M leftover just on Zhitnik...

Old
07-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Ron Jeremy

Isn't this the same guy who contributed the that mess that is the New York Rangers? So what if Melnyk has deep pockets? Look what deep pockets got the NYR, The Leafs and Flyers.

Old
07-07-2004, 05:34 PM
Alfie#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
The Sens shaved about 12M off the payroll[Lalime, Bonk, Bondra, Lesyschun].

Add Hasek 2M and raises for some guys (approx. 5M) and there's about $5M left. Maybe more.
Those numbers don't tell the story. Counting the guys deleted rarely does. Your estimate doesn't take into account some large raises for guys already signed. Spezza goes from roughly $550,000 last year (base salary) to $1.1 million. Fisher goes from $962,000 to 1, 362, 000. That's an extra million without even signing any RFA's.

Then you have to look at guys like DeVries and Bondra. We don't really save money by dumping Bondra. The team didn't pay his full salary last year. In the case of DeVries, the guy we traded him for made roughly $900,000. DeVries makes $3 million this year. Big boost in payroll.

I did some guestimating in this thread
Budget

The budget last year (per THN) was $39,625,000.

With Hasek in at $2 million, the Sens have spent $28, 892, 500. They still have to sign Chara, Havlat, Prusek, Phillips, Schaefer, Varada and Pothier. Then, to fill out a roster of 13f/8d/2g they need to add a forward and two defencemen.

I doubt the team is going to run a $50 million budget. So I'd say we wil see 1 move of a $2-3 million guy and a couple of "economy" players at $1.5 million or less.

I think the team has one medium sized move left.

Old
07-07-2004, 05:36 PM
The Lehner
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie#11

I think your analysis is right on.

Old
07-08-2004, 08:44 AM
SENS_FAN_09

Send a message via MSN to SENS_FAN_09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
I think your analysis is right on.
What would be the move however? What does everyone think?

Old
07-08-2004, 09:06 AM
chara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie#11
Those numbers don't tell the story. Counting the guys deleted rarely does. Your estimate doesn't take into account some large raises for guys already signed. Spezza goes from roughly $550,000 last year (base salary) to $1.1 million. Fisher goes from $962,000 to 1, 362, 000. That's an extra million without even signing any RFA's.

Then you have to look at guys like DeVries and Bondra. We don't really save money by dumping Bondra. The team didn't pay his full salary last year. In the case of DeVries, the guy we traded him for made roughly $900,000. DeVries makes $3 million this year. Big boost in payroll.

I did some guestimating in this thread
Budget

The budget last year (per THN) was $39,625,000.

With Hasek in at $2 million, the Sens have spent $28, 892, 500. They still have to sign Chara, Havlat, Prusek, Phillips, Schaefer, Varada and Pothier. Then, to fill out a roster of 13f/8d/2g they need to add a forward and two defencemen.

I doubt the team is going to run a $50 million budget. So I'd say we wil see 1 move of a $2-3 million guy and a couple of "economy" players at $1.5 million or less.

The Sens may have a slightly higher short term payroll in mind. Melnyk had said that he will do whatever it takes to win. While I agree that paying Zhits $4M/year is out of the question, if an elite centre becomes available like Fedorov, who can opt for unrestricted free agency in a season which the Ducks are very much aware of, the Sens could be a front runner for his services based on his past relationship with Murray.

When you have to line up down the middle against Sundin, Newie or Roenick, Primeau or Richards, Lecavalier with what you've currently got: Spezza, Fisher or Smolinski and a guy like Fedorov is on the table, the math in the short term goes out the window.

Closed Thread