Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

More Minor League Teams to Johnstown

Old
03-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Professor Pickles

vCash: 500
More Minor League Teams to Johnstown

There's been some recent Johnstown mention on here, so I thought I would share this. Apparently, the Ultimate Indoor Football League is adding a team in the War Memorial, and the same people who run the UIFL also are starting a baseball league, where a team will play out of the Point Stadium.

The Point Stadium is actually a decent little place since the renovation. The giant sulfur river behind it though is not exactly eye candy. The location of the stadium is also pretty poor by today's standards.

The War Memorial, as has been mentioned on here at least a few times, is an abyss. That place has a lot of history (you can see a list on the wall down there of all the acts that have performed there over the years, only problem is that they never even bothered to spell-check the list and there are a ton of mistakes and typos, which is simply remarkable) but the arena itself is a serious mess and is without a doubt the worst arena I have ever been in in my entire life, and I grew up in J-town. The way management handles that place is simply embarassing.

We unfortunately went to see the Nailers play a home game there in December, a game in whih Dimitri Terrabrin (Chief's all time leading scorer) had his number hoisted to the rafters. There were maybe 200 people in attendance and no one gave a **** about Terrabrin. I dont even know if there were 40 people there who knew who he was. On top of that, he gave a thank-you speech which was laughably inaudible b/c the sound system there is beyond words.

I forked up the $7 to watch the final Chiefs game on the internet last season, and to be honest, I cannot even explain to you how poor the commentary was. It was so unprofessional that I cant even explain it. They would leave the mic on during breaks and just talk to eachother. You can imagine how intelligent the conversations sounded. Has anyone graduated from HS in that whole area in the past 20 years?

That's Johnstown, folks.

You have a city council who has chopped the head off of every attempt to revitalize a once thriving downtown, allegations that the city council is ridiculously corrupt and has their hand up everyone's skirt. The people who still live there are elderly people who are tired and have given up decades ago. When I go back there, that place is so depressing that I cant wait to leave. And when you have depression setting into an area, drugs become a big player. Windber (suburb) was named in People magazine as the Oxycotin capital of the WORLD. That's hillbilly heroin.

The area IS very racist overall. I doubt there were bananas thrown at black players as the other thread states, but it is a very closed-minded area that doesnt want bothered with anything.

The Johnstown Johnnies baseball team literally won their league two years in a row and no one knew, and no one cared. I didnt even know the team ever left. I honestly thought Johnstown still had a team.

Marketing there is a very alien concept, which is compounded by an incredible lack of money in the population. The Chiefs website was basically an Angelfire site before my buddy (IT guy) took an internship w/ the Chiefs and redid everything. No one there cared or understood why they needed a functional website that did not have non-working GIFs or tons of dead links.

I wish the UIFL and the baseball league all the success they can get, and I hope they can attract fans, but if I had to place a bet, I would bet that ths Johnstown experiment will be a money pit that doesnt see 3 seasons.

The Johnstown city council wants the city married to the rotting War Memorial, and has shot down ideas for arena construction in nearby Richland Twp as well.

I would love to have an ECHL team to go see when I am back in town, but the people there dont deserve it and the city itself sure as hell doesnt deserve it.

Professor Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 04:41 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Wasnt the broadcaster for that final Chiefs game Ray Schmidt?(Does the Road Warriors Games now) He's okay, kind of boring but he doesn't seem stupid. He's better than our guy Eric Levine.

I don't think that experiment will go for 3 seasons like you said, but I put that more on I don't expect Wheeling to be around for 3 or more years.

Hasn't Johnstown been falling apart ever since the coal mining and steel mill industries took a hit?

So basically Johnstown sounds like another Elmira to me but with more history

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Professor Pickles

I saw Elmira play Trenton in early December, and I would trade cities with you in a heartbeat. Pudgie's, and Labatt's on tap at the arena? I'll take it. Plus there were a ton of people at that game and the place was alive.

Old
03-11-2011, 09:40 AM
CrazyEddie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Pickles View Post
There's been some recent Johnstown mention on here, so I thought I would share this. Apparently, the Ultimate Indoor Football League is adding a team in the War Memorial, and the same people who run the UIFL also are starting a baseball league, where a team will play out of the Point Stadium.

The Point Stadium is actually a decent little place since the renovation. The giant sulfur river behind it though is not exactly eye candy. The location of the stadium is also pretty poor by today's standards.

The War Memorial, as has been mentioned on here at least a few times, is an abyss. That place has a lot of history (you can see a list on the wall down there of all the acts that have performed there over the years, only problem is that they never even bothered to spell-check the list and there are a ton of mistakes and typos, which is simply remarkable) but the arena itself is a serious mess and is without a doubt the worst arena I have ever been in in my entire life, and I grew up in J-town. The way management handles that place is simply embarassing.

We unfortunately went to see the Nailers play a home game there in December, a game in whih Dimitri Terrabrin (Chief's all time leading scorer) had his number hoisted to the rafters. There were maybe 200 people in attendance and no one gave a **** about Terrabrin. I dont even know if there were 40 people there who knew who he was. On top of that, he gave a thank-you speech which was laughably inaudible b/c the sound system there is beyond words.

I forked up the $7 to watch the final Chiefs game on the internet last season, and to be honest, I cannot even explain to you how poor the commentary was. It was so unprofessional that I cant even explain it. They would leave the mic on during breaks and just talk to eachother. You can imagine how intelligent the conversations sounded. Has anyone graduated from HS in that whole area in the past 20 years?

That's Johnstown, folks.

You have a city council who has chopped the head off of every attempt to revitalize a once thriving downtown, allegations that the city council is ridiculously corrupt and has their hand up everyone's skirt. The people who still live there are elderly people who are tired and have given up decades ago. When I go back there, that place is so depressing that I cant wait to leave. And when you have depression setting into an area, drugs become a big player. Windber (suburb) was named in People magazine as the Oxycotin capital of the WORLD. That's hillbilly heroin.

The area IS very racist overall. I doubt there were bananas thrown at black players as the other thread states, but it is a very closed-minded area that doesnt want bothered with anything.

The Johnstown Johnnies baseball team literally won their league two years in a row and no one knew, and no one cared. I didnt even know the team ever left. I honestly thought Johnstown still had a team.

Marketing there is a very alien concept, which is compounded by an incredible lack of money in the population. The Chiefs website was basically an Angelfire site before my buddy (IT guy) took an internship w/ the Chiefs and redid everything. No one there cared or understood why they needed a functional website that did not have non-working GIFs or tons of dead links.

I wish the UIFL and the baseball league all the success they can get, and I hope they can attract fans, but if I had to place a bet, I would bet that ths Johnstown experiment will be a money pit that doesnt see 3 seasons.

The Johnstown city council wants the city married to the rotting War Memorial, and has shot down ideas for arena construction in nearby Richland Twp as well.

I would love to have an ECHL team to go see when I am back in town, but the people there dont deserve it and the city itself sure as hell doesnt deserve it.
Who was your buddy that did the website, Doug Heck? Because I'm pretty sure it was the radio guy before Ray that redid the website with InfinityProSports. Then the idiot owner Weber got his grubby mitts on everything and ran everything the GM was trying to do into the ground.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Professor Pickles

I'm not sure who Doug Heck is, but if he's claiming he created their website, he's a liar or at least telling a half-truth (more like a 10% truth at best, my friend never mentioned him).

Myself and my friends (we are all late 20s to mid 30s) all have very deep animosity towards the city of Johnstown and the people running the show. As much as I want the city to rebound, a large part of me knows they deserve to suffer for decades of poor decisions or NO decisions.

There's a reason everyone moves away.

Old
03-25-2011, 01:12 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I saw Elmira play Trenton in early December, and I would trade cities with you in a heartbeat. Pudgie's, and Labatt's on tap at the arena? I'll take it. Plus there were a ton of people at that game and the place was alive.
The only problem is our beer prices at the arena are a joke. We pay $6.40. Which i've heard is what they pay in Rochester. I'm not sure what game againat Trenton you were at but it wasn't Teddy Bear toss night was it? By December our season began falling apart, unfortunatly. Now it may be saved. Our arena seats less than the CCWM if I recall.

But as for Johnstown, i'm not sure if the topic was ever discussed on here but how much does it matter that the former GM stole a lot of money? Does it have any real difference on the fact they don't have a team?

Old
03-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Professor Pickles

I'm not really sure where he stole the money from, I was too beaten-down at that point to even care. It was par for the course in that city.

Its a shame the city will not just demolish that place and build a newer arena. I dont care what anyone down there says, most ppl avoid the War Memorial bc of its condition.

Old
03-25-2011, 02:46 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I'm not really sure where he stole the money from, I was too beaten-down at that point to even care. It was par for the course in that city.

Its a shame the city will not just demolish that place and build a newer arena. I dont care what anyone down there says, most ppl avoid the War Memorial bc of its condition.
Do they have the $$$ to demolish the old one and build a new one?

Old
03-26-2011, 12:01 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalsfan1 View Post
Do they have the $$$ to demolish the old one and build a new one?
not really. This place seems to be intent on keeping the distressed status tag.

The smartest thing for this town or at least new ownership to do is build a new arena in nearby Richland. It would be more accessible, not nearly taxed as much, and wouldn't be under the rule of SMG.

I've heard the GM stealing money thing before and had no idea how bad it was until a few months ago. Here's a link showing what he was reporting and what was actually earned: http://tribune-democrat.com/local/x1...a-chief-guilty
I'm not an expert on trying to decipher stolen money, but it appears that the arena was earning 10k a year (some seasons less) under his watch. Looks like he's gonna be in the big house for the next 3 years.

I'm not gonna rip a lot of your opinions about Johnstown because, as much as I hate to say it, most of it is true. City council is nothing more than an ex-teacher "good ol boys club" that is corrupt as ****. If you make any attempt to speak out against them, you are blackballed. Marketing is almost non-existent for anything. As mentioned in another thread, people in this town have no idea that the Nailers played here this season or that they'll be back next season. People at work had no idea, and this was with work doing a ticket giveaway for each home game. The Demo jersey retirement was kinda depressing. 400 might be an understatement, but it sounded like 200 people in the arena that night.

I want to believe this town, yes as empty as it is, can still support a team. The fans came out for the Chiefs' final game and filled the seats. These same fans pissed and moaned about "keep the Chiefs in J-town" when it was announced they were leaving, but were nowhere to be found when the Nailers played this season.

Doug Heck used to do a lot of the Chiefs stuff (videos, website, etc.). He might have been the one that had it looking like an angelfire site, but to be fair, I think he might have been designing it in the late 90s when a lot of the team's homepages had rotating hockey pucks and flaming hockey sticks.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Professor Pickles

Good post, and yeah, you're unfortunately right about everything you said, which is a shame, but what can you do? You speak up and ppl think you're crazy for wanting to do some advertising, or they are too beaten-down to even care.

They dont even deserve to have the Nailers 10 games a season.

The problem w/ the Richland idea is that the idea was already proposed and has been squashed. They will not allow the new arena or any teams to have any name-connection to "Johnstown". So, you'd essentially have the Cambria County Chiefs. Richland isn't even a real place, there's no Post Office, everyone has a Johnstown address. I'm not sure why that is, its always been kinda weird, but I never looked into it.

Honestly, theres not enough ppl in the area to support an ECHL team. Johnstown now has about 20k people living in it, schools are talking about (or already) consolidating, theres no jobs, HS graduates cannot wait to flee, etc.

The city has no one to blame but themselves. They have squashed the downtown Target idea, they want no part of rebuilding that city or reinventing it.

Why not demolish some of those steel mills, let Target come in (with satellite retail and fast food sites surrounding) and offer Target 5 years w no rent? I'd be throwing myself at them, but then again, I dont want to city to crumble while I pad my wallet.

Just glad I got out. Lots of my friends have not. Johnstown was also voted to have the unhappiest women in America.

Old
03-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Professor Pickles

Real quick...

A few years ago, Altoona was named the worst city in America for things to do. They immediately built the stadium for the Curve, who have done well.

What has Johnstown done to help itself or its image?

Old
03-26-2011, 04:06 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
not really. This place seems to be intent on keeping the distressed status tag.

The smartest thing for this town or at least new ownership to do is build a new arena in nearby Richland. It would be more accessible, not nearly taxed as much, and wouldn't be under the rule of SMG.

I've heard the GM stealing money thing before and had no idea how bad it was until a few months ago. Here's a link showing what he was reporting and what was actually earned: http://tribune-democrat.com/local/x1...a-chief-guilty
I'm not an expert on trying to decipher stolen money, but it appears that the arena was earning 10k a year (some seasons less) under his watch. Looks like he's gonna be in the big house for the next 3 years.

I'm not gonna rip a lot of your opinions about Johnstown because, as much as I hate to say it, most of it is true. City council is nothing more than an ex-teacher "good ol boys club" that is corrupt as ****. If you make any attempt to speak out against them, you are blackballed. Marketing is almost non-existent for anything. As mentioned in another thread, people in this town have no idea that the Nailers played here this season or that they'll be back next season. People at work had no idea, and this was with work doing a ticket giveaway for each home game. The Demo jersey retirement was kinda depressing. 400 might be an understatement, but it sounded like 200 people in the arena that night.

I want to believe this town, yes as empty as it is, can still support a team. The fans came out for the Chiefs' final game and filled the seats. These same fans pissed and moaned about "keep the Chiefs in J-town" when it was announced they were leaving, but were nowhere to be found when the Nailers played this season.

Doug Heck used to do a lot of the Chiefs stuff (videos, website, etc.). He might have been the one that had it looking like an angelfire site, but to be fair, I think he might have been designing it in the late 90s when a lot of the team's homepages had rotating hockey pucks and flaming hockey sticks.
Not to sound like a jerk but I do know some people throughout the country who went to that game just because it was the last. I wonder where all the local residents were all season. LOL, I recall a kid onFacebook trying to start a rally involving the Packers idea, everyone put up $50. My initial thoyght was cool, but why if people weren't going to games would they pony up $50 like that?

Thats sad they won't even market. You top that off with the GM stealing all that dough....wonder if theyd still have a team now?

Old
03-27-2011, 11:11 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalsfan1 View Post
Not to sound like a jerk but I do know some people throughout the country who went to that game just because it was the last. I wonder where all the local residents were all season. LOL, I recall a kid onFacebook trying to start a rally involving the Packers idea, everyone put up $50. My initial thoyght was cool, but why if people weren't going to games would they pony up $50 like that?

Thats sad they won't even market. You top that off with the GM stealing all that dough....wonder if theyd still have a team now?
no offense taken at all. A lot of people weren't going to the Chiefs game, but instead they were going to "the last Chiefs game". If these people really cared, where the **** were they the last few seasons? LOL, yes, there's a sore spot with these people who attempted to rally for the Chiefs once it was announced they were moving. The $50 idea might be good in theory, but do these people realize how much cash it takes to run a team? What about losses, who picks up the tab?

If the GM didn't skim the money, I think there would still be a team this year. However, I think it would only would have delayed the inevitable and instead of having the Chiefs move to Greenville in 2010, they would have moved to (insert city that formerly had a team besides Miami) or perhaps even folded in 2012.

Old
03-27-2011, 11:26 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Good post, and yeah, you're unfortunately right about everything you said, which is a shame, but what can you do? You speak up and ppl think you're crazy for wanting to do some advertising, or they are too beaten-down to even care.

They dont even deserve to have the Nailers 10 games a season.

The problem w/ the Richland idea is that the idea was already proposed and has been squashed. They will not allow the new arena or any teams to have any name-connection to "Johnstown". So, you'd essentially have the Cambria County Chiefs. Richland isn't even a real place, there's no Post Office, everyone has a Johnstown address. I'm not sure why that is, its always been kinda weird, but I never looked into it.

Honestly, theres not enough ppl in the area to support an ECHL team. Johnstown now has about 20k people living in it, schools are talking about (or already) consolidating, theres no jobs, HS graduates cannot wait to flee, etc.

The city has no one to blame but themselves. They have squashed the downtown Target idea, they want no part of rebuilding that city or reinventing it.

Why not demolish some of those steel mills, let Target come in (with satellite retail and fast food sites surrounding) and offer Target 5 years w no rent? I'd be throwing myself at them, but then again, I dont want to city to crumble while I pad my wallet.

Just glad I got out. Lots of my friends have not.
Yeah, I tried to explain Richland to somebody out of town once and I'm not sure I could. Basically you have an area generating tons of money through retail shops, bars and restaurants, but there is no real central location. I think there might be a post office in one of the plazas, but I think it's a satellite location at best and the hours are sketchy.

I remember the talk of throwing a Target into an area right by the arena. Everything seemed like it was going right, but I believe the reason they didn't go through with it was they didn't want to tear down the building that was on the plot of land intended for Target. I heard it was the former Sani Dairy building, but I heard from a few people they wanted to put it closer within downtown. But going back to my point, that is another thing that is cursing this place: people are afraid of progression. If a building hasn't had a tenant in a decade, tear that ****er down and rebuild. It has gotten better in the last few years (tearing stuff down), but as wrong as this sounds, there are quite a few places in town - I'm talking entire city blocks - that would look better with a few passes of a wrecking ball and backhoe.

Quote:
Johnstown was also voted to have the unhappiest women in America.
which is why the last three girls I dated did not live within Johnstown. Not saying there aren't girls worth dating here, but I am saying I don't disagree with those results.

Old
03-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Ovielanche

Thank god someone was willing to say these things. I have never personally been to Johnstown, but I live in the Wheeling area. Hearing that the team was close to moving to Johnstown just pissed me off beyond belief. It's insane the weaknesses they have in Johnstown, how could we even think of moving a team there at this moment of time? When they improve, I'd be happier with it.

As for anyone wanting the Nailers to move because of low tickets sales or such, it's not something easy. Every game we have at least 500-700 people, and the lower is on a bad night. We cheer the team on a lot, and advertise at least also. You can't go to a Nailer game and come out with your hearing still in tact. I think the Nailers have to stay, though I would enjoy more heritage events where we go over things from the Thunderbirds days.

So once again, thank you for providing us with this information about Johnstown, maybe we can make a better choice on where we want a team to go.

Ovielanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:36 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovielanche View Post
Thank god someone was willing to say these things. I have never personally been to Johnstown, but I live in the Wheeling area. Hearing that the team was close to moving to Johnstown just pissed me off beyond belief. It's insane the weaknesses they have in Johnstown, how could we even think of moving a team there at this moment of time? When they improve, I'd be happier with it.

As for anyone wanting the Nailers to move because of low tickets sales or such, it's not something easy. Every game we have at least 500-700 people, and the lower is on a bad night. We cheer the team on a lot, and advertise at least also. You can't go to a Nailer game and come out with your hearing still in tact. I think the Nailers have to stay, though I would enjoy more heritage events where we go over things from the Thunderbirds days.

So once again, thank you for providing us with this information about Johnstown, maybe we can make a better choice on where we want a team to go.
Well it's not like Wheeling as a city is any real better financial shape or anything, it's basically the next Johnstown to be. 500-700 people only show up? Wow, how are they still in business?

As for the hearing comment, that can't be because of that awful goal horn, could it? I used to think Johnstown had the worst, then I heard Wheelings.

Old
03-31-2011, 08:38 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
Yeah, I tried to explain Richland to somebody out of town once and I'm not sure I could. Basically you have an area generating tons of money through retail shops, bars and restaurants, but there is no real central location. I think there might be a post office in one of the plazas, but I think it's a satellite location at best and the hours are sketchy.

I remember the talk of throwing a Target into an area right by the arena. Everything seemed like it was going right, but I believe the reason they didn't go through with it was they didn't want to tear down the building that was on the plot of land intended for Target. I heard it was the former Sani Dairy building, but I heard from a few people they wanted to put it closer within downtown. But going back to my point, that is another thing that is cursing this place: people are afraid of progression. If a building hasn't had a tenant in a decade, tear that ****er down and rebuild. It has gotten better in the last few years (tearing stuff down), but as wrong as this sounds, there are quite a few places in town - I'm talking entire city blocks - that would look better with a few passes of a wrecking ball and backhoe.

which is why the last three girls I dated did not live within Johnstown. Not saying there aren't girls worth dating here, but I am saying I don't disagree with those results.
No offense, but I see it's working well if your on/or through your 3rd girl, lol. But in all seriousness I have to ask, why are women so unhappy in JTown? Do you have a link for where you found that quote?(I'm just interested in reading the article, lol)

Old
04-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Professor Pickles

This is from 2002 but I swear it was a lot more recent than that. Who knows.

http://www.post-gazette.com/columnis...y102col2p2.asp

Old
04-28-2011, 03:54 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Professor Pickles I have a question for you, i'm sorry to revive this topic like this but I saw this today and thought of Johnstown:

http://www.gadling.com/2011/04/27/th...1_lnk2%7C59165

Now I know it's not exactly abandoned BUT, how far away is this city in PA from Johnstown that made the list?:

Quote:
Centralia
Story: The entire city of Centralia was condemned by the state of Pennsylvania and its zip code was revoked. The road that once led to Centralia is blocked off. It is as if the city does not exist at all, but it does, and it has been on fire for almost fifty years. In 1962, a fire broke out in a landfill near the Odd Fellows cemetery. The fire quickly spread through a hole to the coal mine beneath the city, and the fires have been burning ever since. Smoke billows out from cracks in the road and large pits in the ground randomly open up releasing thousand degree heat and dangerous vapors into the air. The city has been slowly evacuated over the years, though some residents have chosen to stay, believing that the evacuation is a conspiracy plot by the state to obtain their mineral rights to the anthracite coal reserves below their homes. Smells like lawyers to me.
Abandoned since: still marginally occupied by 10 or so brave souls

Old
04-29-2011, 01:00 AM
arlingtonway

Centralia is about 3 1/2 hrs from Johnstown, 1hr and 15min. North of Harrisburg.

I have familty in the area. Its an interesting story. There's even a documentary about it

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0961209/

arlingtonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:47 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtonway View Post
Centralia is about 3 1/2 hrs from Johnstown, 1hr and 15min. North of Harrisburg.

I have familty in the area. Its an interesting story. There's even a documentary about it

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0961209/
Wow, thanks for the link, that was an interesting trailer. I wish there was a way to watch that DVD Online instead of having to go buy it.

Old
04-29-2011, 10:00 AM
arlingtonway

well... it used to be on HULU

arlingtonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Professor Pickles

I've never actually been to Centralia, but I've heard about it. The best thing that could happen to J-town would be another flood.

Old
04-29-2011, 06:35 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I've never actually been to Centralia, but I've heard about it. The best thing that could happen to J-town would be another flood.
Not cool to rip on your hometown like that man, I miss having J-Town in the league.
We need another flood like our epic one of 1972...they just need to wait for me to leave first.

Old
05-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Professor Pickles

Let me make one thing very clear. The Johnstown that is my hometown is not the Johnstown that currently exists. When I grew up, it was a thriving steel city, not a city that has decision makers who want to keep the city in the dark ages. It is very, very sad.