HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

has anyone come back from an injury like this?

Old
03-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Stephpa10

vCash: 500
has anyone come back from an injury like this?

I hope this doesn't get moved

but i was wondering if there has anyone come back from an injury like this? is Patches career over?

if there is any other players that have come back, who are they? and where they able to be impact players again?

i'm so mad that the NHL didn't do anything, but i'm trying to move on, but man i have never been this mad at the NHL before. This is prob how people felt when the Montreal riots happened when Richard got suspended

haven't prayed in a long time, but i did last night

Stephpa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephpa10 View Post
I hope this doesn't get moved

but i was wondering if there has anyone come back from an injury like this? is Patches career over?

if there is any other players that have come back, who are they? and where they able to be impact players again?

i'm so mad that the NHL didn't do anything, but i'm trying to move on, but man i have never been this mad at the NHL before. This is prob how people felt when the Montreal riots happened when Richard got suspended

haven't prayed in a long time, but i did last night
It depends how bad the concussion is...the vertebrae should heal relatively quickly but the concussuion could be 1-2 or 6 months...Cole broke a vertebrae in his neck and played about a month later.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Steve Moore was/is finished. Tragic.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:13 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Eric Cole.

CareyClutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:18 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Did Bergeron break his neck/a vertebrae when he was hit by Jones?

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Did Bergeron break his neck/a vertebrae when he was hit by Jones?
I remember him wearing a neck brace, but I'm not sure if he actually sustained anything more than some whiplash.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:23 PM
impudent_lowlife

Brian Savage

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:23 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Well, we can give Pacioretty the Bill Masterton for 2012 already.

Yeah, I went there.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:26 PM
habdynasty

Gary Roberts missed over a year with neck problems then made a successful comeback.

habdynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I think Patches will be back. Will he be the same? That remains to be seen, but I'm staying optimistic.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Aznrx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Gary Roberts missed over a year with neck problems then made a successful comeback.
Yup and i think the neck injury (undergoing two eight-hour operations to repair a neck injury that numbed his entire arm) was worst but the concussion less so :S

Aznrx8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:36 PM
TheBuriedHab

Went to the canes board and Asked how Erik cole looked after he came back from a fractured vertebrae. They said he was never the same till this year. 5 years later....

Its weird how a lot of people thought Patches would become like Erik Cole and they both have now had similar injuries to the neck.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Well they're telling us that Pax has a C4 & Cole had a C5, so yes, but were not even adding in the concussion yet.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Stephpa10

yeah this is the worst thing i ever saw live.

i took a screen shot of the hit when patches hits the post, can;t uploaded for some reason, but it's disgusting, Charra looking right at the post and pushing on his head. don't understand how people said it was an accident, with the history with Charra, every time he loses a game is tries to hurt people, well against habs anyways

Old
03-09-2011, 05:44 PM
JustAHabFan

Watching RDS, one analyst is saying that most of it is psychological. The body may heel perfectly but if the player has fear of being getting hit again then he would never be the same. You can't play in the NHL with fear in your mind. Patches seems to have the right attitude, he should be fine.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
It seems Pacioretty was very "lucky" with his neck injury. Could have been much much worse. Always have to take neck / vertebrae injuries seriously, but sounds like because it was non-displaced, should be healed in ~4 weeks.

The concussion, we don't have anywhere near enough information to assess its impact on his career. All we know is it's "severe". Concussions are never the same anyway; we just need to pray that once it heals, he won't have lingering symptoms for too long.

All in all, given Pacioretty's lack of prior injuries in the area, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he will be fine. It's going to take plenty of time (and he SHOULD take his time), but I am confident he'll be able to get back to the same physical shape he was in.

The question will be how he holds up mentally. I'm optimistic because he seems like a strong fighter, but I wouldn't blame him if he's more hesitant charging the net and such once he does return.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:47 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It depends how bad the concussion is...the vertebrae should heal relatively quickly but the concussuion could be 1-2 or 6 months...Cole broke a vertebrae in his neck and played about a month later.
Yeah, it seems they say 6-8 weeks for the vertebrae to heal if simply fractured. Problems arise if they need to perform some sort of spinal surgery. I guess that was what Martin meant when he said it was not displaced.

The real problem is the concussion.

Say he still feels some effects in June/July, would he still be able to workout? Can he do anything at all or does he have to just sit and wait until he isn't dizzy?

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Willie Mitchell a D-man for Vancouver broke a vertebrae in 2008 and came back to still play well.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
"Steve Moore was treated for three fractured vertebrae in his neck, a grade three concussion, vertebral ligament damage, stretching of the brachial plexus nerves, and facial lacerations. He was also suffering from amnesia"

THIS, ended a career, Pacioretty has 2 fractured vertebre and a grade 3 concussion, so hes got the worst of two worlds unfortunately, but its not AS bad as moores, so theres that

Comparables, have to include BOTH sides of the injuries

Neck :

Cole, Savage, etc, these guys took within 1 month to 4 months to get back, RDS says pacioretty's neck will take 2-4 weeks, while usualy cervical bones take 8-12 weeks to heal, so a couple of months here for pacioretty

Head :
Lets look at the last MAJOR concussion stories in the NHL

Crosby : no word on which grade it is, but hes been out 2 months..

Savard : Grade 2 Concussion, months, made a return, but cant beat post concussion symptoms (dizziness, headaches, short term memory loss)
(Savard previously was reported as suffering concussions in 2001, 2002 and 2004.) so theres history to take into consideration here

Bergeron : Grade 3 , suffered October 27, 2007, missed 72 games, In mid-June 2008, Bergeron was reported as being symptom-free during off-season training, so thats exactly 8 months.

So one CAN recover from grade 3 concussion, its RIGHT there , it all depends on a player by player basis, hopefully patches is as resilient as bergeron

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
I just hope he stays out for the season and doesn't try to come back until we're certain that he's 100% or close to it...

Theosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Stephpa10

i was never really for the we need goon on our team, but this makes me want one, next time we play against bruins there is no one who can answer for the habs

Old
03-09-2011, 06:37 PM
neofury*

Bergeron only recently started playing like he used to though and even then maybe not entirely.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 06:44 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Watching RDS, one analyst is saying that most of it is psychological. The body may heel perfectly but if the player has fear of being getting hit again then he would never be the same. You can't play in the NHL with fear in your mind. Patches seems to have the right attitude, he should be fine.
Yea unfortunately this might have an impact. The power of the mind and its impact on you psychologically speaking are pretty powerful. But Max has gone through a lot in the past year, he's had to over come some personal tragedies and he's was succeeding at the NHL level, so I hope that he can overcome this as well.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Usually it takes 3 concussions to have permanent damage. This one's so severe I'd be surprised if he doesn't have some lingering consequences for the rest of his life.

His brain will always be more fragile. He'll be playing one big hit away from another concussion. I hope he's one of the lucky ones.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 06:56 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Usually it takes 3 concussions to have permanent damage. This one's so severe I'd be surprised if he doesn't have some lingering consequences for the rest of his life.

His brain will always be more fragile. He'll be playing one big hit away from another concussion. I hope he's one of the lucky ones.
Concussions can be a little overrated in terms of long term affect. It's different for everyone, I was watching one of the 30 of 30 espn film series about Legendary BMX rider Matt Hoffman and he has had over 100 concussions in his career 2 of which were so severe he was in a coma for days. One of the ones he went into a coma they had a video of it, it was like a 25 foot drop straight down in which he smashed his face off the ground. He is in his 40s now and is perferct, no long term affects at all, still does some BMX stuff from time to time

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote