HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

has anyone come back from an injury like this?

Old
03-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Gary Roberts missed over a year with neck problems then made a successful comeback.
If I'm not mistaken Roberts broke his neck. He came back stronger and really didn't miss a beat. The fact that the vertebrae is good news for Pacioretty.

The medicines and medical technologies have progressed. I think with Patches being off the rest of the year and through the summer there's a good chance he could be back playing this time next year if not sooner. No need to rush him, he's only 22 and should recover well with time.

MOntreal should reach out to Gary Roberts to assist in Patches recovery. Roberts came back to hockey with no neck meaning he strengthened his neck to the point where it was like a brace!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 07:03 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

vCash: 500
i think crosby's only out cause they ignored his first hit, then he got hit again the next game. that was the dealbreaker on his season imo. and also he's probably just a *****. i know it has nothing to do with being tough and post concussion symptoms are different for everybody...i mean his brain is probably a bigger ***** than other's.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Team First

Well, I believe I looked at the play with an unbiased viewpoint. It's hard to do, if it's "your" team. Really tough call, Chara is just hurting a lot of people because he is so frickin' big. It looked like he added to Max's momentum and just launched him. Huge guy + precarious rink design = danger. No matter what, we all love hockey, and this stuff is not good for the game.

Team First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Habbadasher

As someone who broke his C7 in two places, I expect Max to be back, he will get first class medical care, first class physiotherapy and a personal trainer, all crucial. He just needs to keep the psychological part from damaging his recovery, but I expect given his age, and a strong support network, he'll be fine.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Paddyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team First View Post
Well, I believe I looked at the play with an unbiased viewpoint. It's hard to do, if it's "your" team. Really tough call, Chara is just hurting a lot of people because he is so frickin' big. It looked like he added to Max's momentum and just launched him. Huge guy + precarious rink design = danger. No matter what, we all love hockey, and this stuff is not good for the game.
They give 2 and 4 minutes for high sticking even when it is non intentional, simply because "you should be responsible at all time about where your stick is". I donít see why this should be different. Even though the stanchion may be in a dangerous location, Chara had to know it was coming and this was a reckless and dangerous move. As such, in my opinion, he should have received a suspension, intent or not.

Paddyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:41 PM
snakeye

Isn't Pacioretty wolverine?

The fact that he was sent home from the hospital after just 2 days (I believe..) gives me hope that he'll be alright.

Btw what's Pac's history with concussions? I think he had one last year, did he not?

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:01 PM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Usually it takes 3 concussions to have permanent damage.
All concussions lead to permanent brain damage, from anywhere to very small to very significant. But the level of brain damage depends on the degree of shock, i.e. small concussion, heavy concussion etc. You could get significant permanent brain damage on a single, very heavy brain concussion.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:19 PM
gusfring

Grant Marshall.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Gary Roberts missed over a year with neck problems then made a successful comeback.
Probably the best most recent example. I don't think his injury was as severe but he was older than Pac so it's a wash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Yeah, it seems they say 6-8 weeks for the vertebrae to heal if simply fractured. Problems arise if they need to perform some sort of spinal surgery. I guess that was what Martin meant when he said it was not displaced.

The real problem is the concussion.

Say he still feels some effects in June/July, would he still be able to workout? Can he do anything at all or does he have to just sit and wait until he isn't dizzy?
The concussion is the wildcard. Extremely unpredictable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Concussions can be a little overrated in terms of long term affect. It's different for everyone, I was watching one of the 30 of 30 espn film series about Legendary BMX rider Matt Hoffman and he has had over 100 concussions in his career 2 of which were so severe he was in a coma for days. One of the ones he went into a coma they had a video of it, it was like a 25 foot drop straight down in which he smashed his face off the ground. He is in his 40s now and is perferct, no long term affects at all, still does some BMX stuff from time to time
Yes, he's fine except that his brain won't allow him to use words with the letter 'Q'. Also, he thinks everyday is Tuesday.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:31 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

The problem isn't the healing of the bone. In most cases when an athlete has a vertebrae fracture, it will heal and come back to 100%.

The problem is psychological. Will he be able to play his game without any fear? We know Pacioretty is a strong guy that goes in danger zones. When/if he comes back, I hope our fans will be patient and let him get back his confidence that he was starting to amount.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
The problem isn't the healing of the bone. In most cases when an athlete has a vertebrae fracture, it will heal and come back to 100%.

The problem is psychological. Will he be able to play his game without any fear? We know Pacioretty is a strong guy that goes in danger zones. When/if he comes back, I hope our fans will be patient and let him get back his confidence that he was starting to amount.
I think he'll be alright, but I'm an unapologetic optimist. It might take some time, but I think Patches has the right attitude in regards to his recovery.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:39 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephpa10 View Post
I hope this doesn't get moved

but i was wondering if there has anyone come back from an injury like this? is Patches career over?

if there is any other players that have come back, who are they? and where they able to be impact players again?

i'm so mad that the NHL didn't do anything, but i'm trying to move on, but man i have never been this mad at the NHL before. This is prob how people felt when the Montreal riots happened when Richard got suspended

haven't prayed in a long time, but i did last night

Eric Cole he suffered a fractured C5 on a hit from behind.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Concussions can be a little overrated in terms of long term affect. It's different for everyone, I was watching one of the 30 of 30 espn film series about Legendary BMX rider Matt Hoffman and he has had over 100 concussions in his career 2 of which were so severe he was in a coma for days. One of the ones he went into a coma they had a video of it, it was like a 25 foot drop straight down in which he smashed his face off the ground. He is in his 40s now and is perferct, no long term affects at all, still does some BMX stuff from time to time
It's the other way around, current research tends to show concussion have been extremely underrated. Even a mild concussion, while remaining asymptomatic, creates EEG (electroencephalogram) anormalities up to 30 years later. In day to day life this is pretty irrelevant, but not in sports where every millisecond matters, it does. This is because after a concussion white matter becomes somewhat dysfunctional, which makes your reaction times slower for some time. Also, you are also susceptible to more severe concussion after even a mild concussion, even after mild contact. This is exactly what happened to Crosby, amongst others. So basically, a grade 1 concussion can evolve to higher grades if rest is not taken long enough. From what I know in concussions, I'd say Pacioretty should be out for a year, unfortunately. Any comeback before that would be risky and not beneficial in the long run.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:41 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Watching RDS, one analyst is saying that most of it is psychological. The body may heel perfectly but if the player has fear of being getting hit again then he would never be the same. You can't play in the NHL with fear in your mind. Patches seems to have the right attitude, he should be fine.
I truly hope so man. If there's one word that describes the way he plays, it's fearless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
But Max has gone through a lot in the past year, he's had to over come some personal tragedies and he's was succeeding at the NHL level, so I hope that he can overcome this as well.
What were the personal tragedies?

Last edited by SB164: 03-11-2011 at 08:47 PM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote