Notices

Brennan

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2004, 09:29 PM
Saabato

vCash: 500
Brennan

Is Kip Brennan the future goon/policeman in Atlanta? If I recall correctly, they paid quite a price to land him from LA. Also, what are Lessard's long term plans?

Will the team go with both goons or will Brennan be phased in as the #1 slugger?

Old
07-03-2004, 11:45 PM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabato
Is Kip Brennan the future goon/policeman in Atlanta? If I recall correctly, they paid quite a price to land him from LA. Also, what are Lessard's long term plans?

Will the team go with both goons or will Brennan be phased in as the #1 slugger?

I wouldn't call trading Jeff Cowan for him quite a price, as the Thrashers got a younger and bigger player in the deal.

Old
07-04-2004, 06:31 AM
laraque#27

lessard and brennen would be a nice one to punch.if not i would like to see lessard in a oilers jersey.

Old
07-04-2004, 06:51 AM
dunwoody_joe

I would trade Lessard, to the Oilers or anyone else who wanted him, tomorrow.

I did not like the Lessard acquisition and have never warmed to the guy. He's a bit of a psycho on the ice and really not skilled enough to deserve much ice time.

If Edmonton wanted him; I would deal.

Old
07-04-2004, 08:17 AM
The Sneak

Lessard did improve a bit at the end of last year at least in the form of taking fewer stupid penalties. However, he's a bleeder and not naturally a winger. That said, I think the job of enforcer would be Brennan's to lose in camp. Can't say I'm overly impressed with either, but the loss of Tamer may require both to be kept. Exelby is the only one outside of the goon role that would be willing to mix it up on this team. Sutton appears to be getting more reluctant to chuck knuckles, and the rest of the willing are all middleweights (Petro, Savard).

Old
07-04-2004, 09:36 AM
laraque#27

i would love if the oilers would trade lessard and but him on a line with laraque.

Old
07-04-2004, 12:47 PM
VAThrasher

I would trade Lessard, to the Oilers or anyone else who wanted him, tomorrow.
I concur, but a couple of 'experts' took me to task for doubting Francis' contributions to the team last year. I just never understood the "I'm finally getting a shift, so I'm going off for 2 or 5 and I don't care if any one comes with me" mentality. Call me old fashioned.

Old
07-04-2004, 03:12 PM
dunwoody_joe

Frannie is killing us!

He played in 62 games for an an average of 4:27/game. He totaled 181 penalty minutes for the season.

That is about 3 minutes of penalties for every 4:30 played per game!! He had 1 goal and 1 assist all season.

Uncle Bob cannot afford to have this clown on the ice--or even on the bench. Oh, I know the role of a goon but please, we need some skill at that position too.

It is true that Frannie showed better discipline and that most of his penalties did not result in odd man advantages. But I think we need more from the position--plus Frannie is not that tough a customer.

Old
07-06-2004, 12:39 AM
thrashers=cup05

I like the both of them on the same line. When they were playing togeather they made many chances for themselves and Vigay. They backcheck really well and they are fun to watch. I'd keep them. Plus I wouldn't count out Lessard for an offensive game, he wasn't a third round pick for nothing.

Old
07-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Trust me guys, Kip is a keeper. I was pissed when we traded him for Cowan, dont get me wrong Cowan is a fan fav in L.A. now, but not like Kip was. Keep him on a line with Lessard, when he was here he played on a line with Flinn for awhile as well as Norton, he does good with other pugilists. Hold on to him guys, aside from his loss to Peters out here, he never really lost a bout. . . . .

Old
07-14-2004, 10:54 AM
stocker

I would love to have Kip on the Bruins. The guy can throw them with the best of them.Id play Kip and Francis on the same line all year.

Old
07-14-2004, 01:08 PM
ThrasherB

After Lessard's complete meltdown in that game late last season that resulted in a seven-minute, game killing powerplay, I would be more than happy to watch the poor-impulse-control Frankie moved to another team.

Brennan drops bombs. Lessard drops pints of O-negative.

Old
07-14-2004, 03:54 PM
PatrickRoy33

Send a message via ICQ to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via AIM to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via MSN to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via Yahoo to PatrickRoy33
He had losses to both VandenBussche and Fedoruk in 02-03....Fedoruk tko'd him....but other than those 3-4 fights he's held his own....

Old
07-15-2004, 12:04 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRoy33
He had losses to both VandenBussche and Fedoruk in 02-03....Fedoruk tko'd him....but other than those 3-4 fights he's held his own....
Who hasn't lost to Fedoruk ?, the guys knuckles are like rock, and as for the Vandy bout, I'd say it was a draw personally, but he made it up by beating him twice since. . . needless to say I'm very jealous that Kip isn't still a King, but there were rumours about how he was living it up too much out here, a steroids rumor, and that's what lead to him getting dealt, kinda the same with Aulin and Paris Hilton. It seems as if L.A. is a distraction for the player, management has no problem dealing you away.

Old
07-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Section119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Who hasn't lost to Fedoruk ?
I remember fondly the drubbing Odgers gave Fedoruk in Philips a couple years back. They still show the highlight clip too.

Old
07-16-2004, 02:45 AM
Hordichuk_24

With Lessard signed now, is Kip still in Atlanta's future?

Old
07-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Lessard Fretter

Send a message via AIM to Lessard Fretter
For all the hate Lessard gets, usually unfairly from fans that have never liked him or given him a fair look, it's true he's one tough enforcer. In fact, I've yet to see him truly lose a fight in the sense that he was actually hurt, much less knocked out. He's like Tie Domi in that way, tough as they come. And that's usually why those that dont like him chose to label him "A Bleeder" and/or focus in that area more than anything. Because though Lessard has some scars from all his fights, that can result in bleeding a bit at times, it's not anything of real substance, no more than it was with Odgers or others that got bloodied a bit over past wounds et al.

But as I said before we attained him, Kip Brennan does not impress me in the enforcer role, because he's not near as tough as the Lessard types. When we got him a number of you all were talking about him being a better enforcer than Lessard, but then you all sorta shut up, at least for a bit, esp. after Brennan was knocked out cold in a fight in one of his few games late last season with Atlanta. But that was not the first time Kip has been knocked out in a fight, and probably not the last neither.

Lastly, I am still waiting for Lessard to be hurt bad in a fight, much less knocked out, however. Sure he can be cut or whatever, but he's really tough, too. And can throw em with anyone & hold his own.

Old
07-16-2004, 03:15 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabato

I say go with both. It is very exciting to see teams picking up more tough guys ie Jersey with both Langdon and Oliwa. Hopefully tough hockey is making a comeback.

Old
07-16-2004, 03:18 PM
c-carp

Lessard ios a quality fighter who opens up and fights to win, sure he gets cut a lot but maybe he just cuts easy. Blood doesnt nessisarily loose a fight. I dont know why so many people are *****ing about him he does his job fine.

Old
07-17-2004, 10:24 AM
Hordichuk_24

I wouldn't call Lessard a lot tougher than Brennan. Kip is just as tough. And from a hockey standpoint, Brennan would probably be the better enforcer. Lessard is a "loose cannon" at times and can be a liability to his team. I admit, he has really improved since playing in the NHL full time. So maybe those days are behind him. But Brennan is pretty disciplined and he does do his job well.

As far as fighting goes. Brennan and Lessard are pretty equal. Both are young exciting scrappers, Lessard with a little more "heart" than Brennan and Brennan with better size than Lessard.

Old
07-17-2004, 12:35 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
I wouldn't call Lessard a lot tougher than Brennan. Kip is just as tough. And from a hockey standpoint, Brennan would probably be the better enforcer. Lessard is a "loose cannon" at times and can be a liability to his team. I admit, he has really improved since playing in the NHL full time. So maybe those days are behind him. But Brennan is pretty disciplined and he does do his job well.

As far as fighting goes. Brennan and Lessard are pretty equal. Both are young exciting scrappers, Lessard with a little more "heart" than Brennan and Brennan with better size than Lessard.
I agree, both are willing to take a punch to land a punch. Hell even in Kip's losses to Peters, he only went down to a knee before getting back up. . .

Old
07-17-2004, 01:02 PM
Hordichuk_24

Lessard always had a big rep in the minors. But he hasn't proved himself yet in the NHL. That kind of thing always seems to happen to NHL tough guys.

Brennan on the other hand has been fairly consistant.

Old
07-17-2004, 01:11 PM
15+17=Cup

I say stick with both. There both tough and they are both good enforcers/fighters. Two enforcers never hurt a team with enough offense already on the top two lines.

Old
07-18-2004, 09:16 AM
Lessard Fretter

Send a message via AIM to Lessard Fretter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24

As I recall, Lesssard has fought Brennan before and beat him. It was in the AHL when Lessard was with the Phantoms (Flyers farm team) & I think Brennan was playing for the Lowell Lock Monsters.

Furthermore, they've both fought some of the same enforcers during their NHL career & Lessard has did better of the two for the most part. In fact, Lessard has had a bit of an upper hand against Todd Fedoruk in a fight before, while Todd has knocked out Brennan in the past (It was the season before last when Fedoruk floored Brennan.). Lessard has also went toe to toe better with Peters who was the one who got a knock-out victory against Brennan late last season after Brennan's trade to Atlanta.

Lastly, I do hope the Thrashers keep both though as I think two enforcers is a good thing. Both do their jobs well enough.

Old
07-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Hordichuk_24

Lessard has been more impressive in the minors than he has in the NHL. I certainly didn't give him the win against Fedoruk in the fight from this past season. I thought Peters also edged him out in their fight this past season. In previous yeras he has also lost to Peat, Johnson, Godard, Boulton, and VandenBussche. Brennan has beaten VandenBussche, McAllister, Brown, Burnett, Sawyer just to name a few. I have nothing against Lessard, and it would be great if both Lessard and Brennan both played in Atlanta. But at this point, I don't consider Lessard much better (or any better) than Brennan.

Closed Thread