HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Red Wings - 03/09/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
03-10-2011, 02:23 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Alright, well give me 3 or 4 hours.
Claire!

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:39 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Interesting, no power play time for Smyth.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:44 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Jersey View Post
did he say, "f yeah haters, check out our powerplay!"?
No, but he did say he needs to do a better job of getting to the middle of the ice in the offensive zone.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:46 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Missed the game but Barry mentioned something about Doughty being hurt.. Is he OK?
No, Mitchell killed him when he made that lame ass pass up the middle in his own zone with around 12 seconds left in the game.

He took and elbow from Bertuzzi, but he looks ok.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:46 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Just as I'm an advocate for letting Bernier start again for playing a good game, Quick also needs to be rewarded for playing well.

Quick deserves the start against Columbus, soft goal aside.
Then let Bernier play vs Nashville, regardless of the result of Quick's game vs Columbus and Dallas. My point is that Bernier needs to play, but I'd prefer to have Quick in vs Pacific Division teams (4-pt games).

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:48 AM
123slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
No idea why my video was not working but YES, that was the video

Good job Shellz.

Do you like to move it?
Hahahahahahahaa

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 05:31 AM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Brown got a piece of that puck after it bounced up, after it was deflected down, by Ponikarovsky.

I saw it fine on the Fox Sports broadcast, but it was clearer on the Detroit feed, I've been told.

FanSince2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Chris 84

your GDT was all about how it would be the kings v red wings+refs, but you must admit that you guys got lucky on the game winning goal and the refs missed a pretty blatant call.

no complaints about the loss though, just making sure that next time you aren't so quick to decide the refs always favour us :p

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
your GDT was all about how it would be the kings v red wings+refs, but you must admit that you guys got lucky on the game winning goal and the refs missed a pretty blatant call.

no complaints about the loss though, just making sure that next time you aren't so quick to decide the refs always favour us :p
but they do. The first penalty of the game, Mitchell hits Zetterberg in the elbow with his stick, Zetterberg somehow 'falls over' and Mitchell gets a tripping penalty

Just 1 blown call goes against the Wings and its such a rare occurence in Detroit they scream bloody murder because its not supposed to happen to them

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:31 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:

Was the Bertuzzi elbow to Doughty's face called? No. There were over a dozen interference penalties by Detroit that went uncalled also. Blatant ones, like Howard going behind the goal to retrieve a puck, passing it to a teammate and then pinning a Kings player against the wall.

I watched the Detroit feed of the game, and even your announcers commented on a handful of penalties when weren't called vs Detroit. Of course, they liked to complain about the ONE that went in L.A.'s favor.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Chruceg

Quote:

If I were a Redwings fan I would be pissed. And if you watch the highlights from the LA Vancouver game from a few days ago you will see this board in an uproar over a Vancouver goal that had two penalties on it. It pretty much comes down to the fact that over a long season these things even out. We happened to get this one. You folks will probably get one in another game before the end of the season against another team.

It does SUCK when it happens to you though.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:52 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

I think the difference is the high-stick was away from the play and did not directly result in a goal. No one saw it and they weren't gonna call that back. Even Detroit broadcasters were saying there was no way they would call it back after the goal.

It was missed like the elbow.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:20 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
If I were a Redwings fan I would be pissed. And if you watch the highlights from the LA Vancouver game from a few days ago you will see this board in an uproar over a Vancouver goal that had two penalties on it. It pretty much comes down to the fact that over a long season these things even out. We happened to get this one. You folks will probably get one in another game before the end of the season against another team.

It does SUCK when it happens to you though.
didn't Detroit steamroll the Kings the other night after a phantom high sticking call on Greene got the ball rolling?

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Chruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
didn't Detroit steamroll the Kings the other night after a phantom high sticking call on Greene got the ball rolling?
Yes and no. There was a high sticking penalty to Greene but the score was already 2-1. The third goal came on the (legitimate) Stoll high sticking penalty. Then Detroit didn't score again until the waning seconds of the end of second period. So it didn't have a direct impact on the game.

BUT the kings were essentially outplaying the Redwings that entire first period and if the Kings convert something there it's 2-2 now rather than 3-1. You can certainly make the argument that four minutes of powerplay time stopped the Kings momentum and got the Redwings ball rolling.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:

The refs also missed a BLATANT high stick on Lewis coming through the neutral zone when it was 1-0 Detroit. The non-call on Handzus evens that out.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I'm not gonna say the refs are biased because I'm not a conspiracy theorist but there were a ton of infractions Detroit got away with including a trip on Ponikarovsky behind the Wings net and another trip with about 3 mins left in the game. The game was poorly officiated and just like the Kings shouldn't have been worrying about the Sedin sisters interference non-call the other day, Detroit needs to score more than one goal against the Kings.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:58 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
psst...Dustin Brown never touched that puck. Don't tell JT. Shhhhh.
... Well, I hate to tell you this, but - he sure did. I couldn't get the channel 13 broadcast from where I am, but on the Detroit telecast, it seemed pretty clear that Brown deflected it.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:14 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Well, I hate to tell you this, but - he sure did. I couldn't get the channel 13 broadcast from where I am, but on the Detroit telecast, it seemed pretty clear that Brown deflected it.
I too watched the Detroit feed. If you want the puck pass Brown, JT is right, it goes from low to high. Brown 100% tipped the puck.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Inner Turbulence

Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Quote:

I am not going to disagree with you. That was a mistake from the ref and it should have been a penalty. But from a Kings standpoint we've certainly had our fair share of game-changing calls/non-calls go against us this season ... along with someone elses share too ... I just thought it was nice that it was our time to catch a break like that.

Inner Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:02 PM
HeadInjury

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
No, Mitchell killed him when he made that lame ass pass up the middle in his own zone with around 12 seconds left in the game.
Where did DL get this notion that Doughty's hockey sense is off the charts? I screamed at the tv when he made that pass. We were lucky Detroit didn't score.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:27 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Some people will whine about anything I guess.

Nuh uh

Uh huh

Nuh UUuuuuuuUUH

etc....

It is pretty sad though. Fair debate is totally different than moaning always nit picking in my opinion but its cool I guess, as long as we are all Kings fans it has to be.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:27 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
I too watched the Detroit feed. If you want the puck pass Brown, JT is right, it goes from low to high. Brown 100% tipped the puck.
From the Kings broadcast all I could tell was that Poni DEFINITELY touched it, and Brown MAY have touched it. His stick and Howard's were very close to each other and I couldn't tell which one of them deflected it. I did see it go from low to high, but it is also possible that the puck glanced off the ice after Poni's tip. I'm not saying Brown didn't touch it, just that I didn't see him touch it conclusively and there are atleast two other ways that puck changes direction without him touching it. I'm curious what angle the Detroit broadcast had that the Kings' one didn't.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

after rewatching that play, im willing to give Doughty the benefit of the doubt. Firstly there is a Detroit player pinned along the boards preventing Doughty from clearing it there somewhat. Secondly it isn't as if he just passes it to the centre of the ice, he flips it out looking to ping it down the middle, but it hits the Detroit player in the chest. Thirdly he isn't trying to pass it like some people have said since there is no Kings player in the vacinity of the pass. I think he really was just trying to clear the puck out of the zone, and just chose the middle because the boards were covered

Last edited by Muzzinga: 03-10-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Some people will whine about anything I guess.

Nuh uh

Uh huh

Nuh UUuuuuuuUUH

etc....

It is pretty sad though. Fair debate is totally different than moaning always nit picking in my opinion but its cool I guess, as long as we are all Kings fans it has to be.
Amen!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:36 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Doughty was in a position to where from his pov there wasn't anything else to do so he did what he could. Did he get lucky? The Wings didn't score so I would say yes but you have to think that if there were any other options DD would have taken one of them instead of doing the one thing that coaches harp on from alpha to omega about not clearing the puck up the middle.

Maybe DD will have something to say about in an interview before the next game but if not, it was just one of many plays that happen during a game and while it was an important one, DD makes the right decision so much more often than not that its alright with me.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote