HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Brooklanders*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker33 View Post
This kid is an actual phenom. Hes a 97' playing for the 96' toronto marlboros AAA (best team in North America) and hes there best player. I bet he will get exceptional status next season simply because he is already dominating at a year up age group. He amazing. heres a link from game 7 of the gthl playoffs.

http://vimeo.com/20658514
Everyone is raving about this kid like he is the next Crosby.
I am sorry folks and I dont mean to rain on your parade but I disagree.
He has been dominate but so was Daigle, Lawton, Stefan, and barker
at a very young age.
I believe He will be a draft bust if taken high. Mark these words. I am very knowledgable and better than the average scout. I have a knack for these things. No offense to Connor or his loving family but I just have this feeling that I don't get often and it isn't a good one.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:52 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcometothebigshow2 View Post
As soon as a player signs a pro contract, his education package is gone.
This is wrong. Brett Ferguson (Red Deer) signed a pro contract with the Utah Grizzlies of the ECHL and came back to play for the University of Alberta after 15 games around Christmastime.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:54 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklanders View Post
at a very young age.
I believe He will be a draft bust if taken high. Mark these words. I am very knowledgable and better than the average scout. I have a knack for these things. No offense to Connor or his loving family but I just have this feeling that I don't get often and it isn't a good one.
Interesting opinion and everyone has their own. I think many will disagree but what makes you think this? Elaborate more if you dont mind, you must be seeing something that makes think this.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:01 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
The above is correct. The CHL education program was a response to kids who might be long-shot pros and did not want to lose their NCAA eligibility. Those who do not sign pro deals right away often go to school and continue to play CIS hockey until they are 21-22. Some then go on to play in Europe or other North American pro-leagues.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:05 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
at a very young age.
I think many would say Nathan McKinnon is the next Crosby. Even comes from the same town... Having said that, people with extensive scouting experience believe that Connor is the real deal. You don't exceptional status unless you have crazy skills. So far we have Tavares and Ekblad, and both have been stellar OHL players.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:08 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
This is wrong. Brett Ferguson (Red Deer) signed a pro contract with the Utah Grizzlies of the ECHL and came back to play for the University of Alberta after 15 games around Christmastime.
It doesn't make you ineligible to play CIS hockey, it does cancel your CHL scholarship...unless there is a different rule in the WHL (pretty sure there isn't). i.e. Mike Danton is playing CIS hockey in New Brunswick after having played in the NHL (obviously an odd case), but presumably he's paying his own tuition. The Barrie Colts are not.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
I think many would say Nathan McKinnon is the next Crosby. Even comes from the same town... Having said that, people with extensive scouting experience believe that Connor is the real deal. You don't exceptional status unless you have crazy skills. So far we have Tavares and Ekblad, and both have been stellar OHL players.
I think Ekblad is going to be a good NHL player. In a way Connor Mcdavid and Nathan McKinnon are very much alike in many ways including their names. We have been lucky for awhile now Crosby, Tavares, Hall. Not every phenom will become an adult star. I just have this feeling about McDavid. I am not sold on McKinnon either.

Old
03-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Nicker2481

you obviously haven't seen Mcdavid or Mackinnon play . . .

Old
03-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
I think Ekblad is going to be a good NHL player. In a way Connor Mcdavid and Nathan McKinnon are very much alike in many ways including their names. We have been lucky for awhile now Crosby, Tavares, Hall. Not every phenom will become an adult star. I just have this feeling about McDavid. I am not sold on McKinnon either.
Can you explain why you have this "feeling" about why he won't succeed. Many scouts have said mcdavid is better at his age than stamkos tavares, and hall, and he has the stats to back it up. Is there something about the way he plays? Or do you just think we are due for a bust after all these successful phenoms lately.

Old
03-25-2012, 03:16 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
I don't think many would say this actually. MacKinnon has a similar background to Crosby...so some people have translated that into them being similar prospects. However, neither MacKinnon's play nor his stats back up any claim to being the next Crosby. Obviously, he's a great player...and could quite likely be the 2013 #1 overall draft pick...but to say he's in Crosby's league as a prospect is a joke.

Old
03-25-2012, 03:26 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman10 View Post
Can you explain why you have this "feeling" about why he won't succeed. Many scouts have said mcdavid is better at his age than stamkos tavares, and hall, and he has the stats to back it up. Is there something about the way he plays? Or do you just think we are due for a bust after all these successful phenoms lately.
I already asked him that and he did not respond to my question either. He seems to be the lone person to think Mcdavid will not succeed. Hey there will always be those who criticize and say players are over hyped . Look how many people say bad things about Crosby, clearly what they say is inaccurate.

Old
03-25-2012, 03:37 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
at a very young age.
I would love it if you could elaborate on what gives u this "feeling". Hockey Canada and the OHL has deemed him good enough to skip his minor midget season, ala better than all his peers. Scouts have raved about his hockey IQ, speed, vision and said he is better than Hall and Stamkos at the same age. I have not seen him play I am just curious what knacks in his game you feel will hold him back

Old
03-25-2012, 03:39 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
I already asked him that and he did not respond to my question either. He seems to be the lone person to think Mcdavid will not succeed. Hey there will always be those who criticize and say players are over hyped . Look how many people say bad things about Crosby, clearly what they say is inaccurate.

Didn't he say it earlier in the thread too?

Old
03-25-2012, 03:40 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Didn't he say it earlier in the thread too?
Yep.

No explanation there, either.

Old
03-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
I am a huge fan of Connor McDavid and co. But eventually one of these super hyped kids are going to bust like Calabrese and Anthony and MacAusland and Kuchin and Randell and McFarland... etc.

I'm just waiting for the "next one" to bust.

Hope it isn't McDavid though. I love new superstars.

Old
03-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
He actually has 18 months to play pro before it's gone.

The only time a player can loose his education packege immediately is if he signs an NHL contract.

Old
03-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
It doesn't make you ineligible to play CIS hockey, it does cancel your CHL scholarship...unless there is a different rule in the WHL (pretty sure there isn't). i.e. Mike Danton is playing CIS hockey in New Brunswick after having played in the NHL (obviously an odd case), but presumably he's paying his own tuition. The Barrie Colts are not.
Actually, players have 18 months to make their decision. The common misconception is if a player signs a 'Pro Contract'. It's the NHL contract that voids the education package, not the pro contract.

Old
03-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
at a very young age.
Knowledgeable people know how to spell knowledgeable. And the truly knowledgeable have no need to call themselves knowledgeable.

Just like the knowledgeable among us, your posts speak for themselves.

Old
03-25-2012, 04:20 PM
bruinsfan46

I'm curious what some think is a realistic expectation for point totals next year. Is around a point per game reasonable?

Old
03-25-2012, 04:28 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Actually, players have 18 months to make their decision. The common misconception is if a player signs a 'Pro Contract'. It's the NHL contract that voids the education package, not the pro contract.
Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize there was a differentation. I'll defer to your expertise - cheers. Once they play a pro game does that nullify it? I went to night school with a guy who said he refused to sign with the Marlies despite an invite because he didn't want to jeopardize his scholarship...though I confess I don't recall all the details (this was years ago).

Old
03-25-2012, 04:45 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
at a very young age.
Wow. Speechless

Anyways, McDavid is an exceptional 15-yr old player that's played unreal against older competition. He's still a kid and has a lot of development ahead of him so there's always a possibility that he doesn't develop into that top tier prospect at the next level. It happens. But, there's also NO INDICATION that he won't continue to develop into a special player at the next level either.

His best attribute is his ELITE hockey sense and the way he thinks the game so quickly. This is something that CANNOT be coached or taught and is what each one of these players receiving exceptional status possess. That is why he's more likely to succeed than fail.
Those people hoping or projecting for a talented exceptional 15-yr old kid to fail without providing substatial reasoning as to why he will is very sad.

Good luck to McDavid. He's a treat to watch

Old
03-25-2012, 05:31 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
WOW you must be a better scout me then LMAO cause even though I do not think he is the next Crosby as he isn't, I think he will be in the tier with Tavares and Stamkos same as Mackinnon....I watched Crosby as a 12 and 13 year old and I know how exceptional he was, McDavid though amazing great hockey sense it still not at the level Crosby was at that age...but McDavid is going to be a pretty amazing player, his speed, his hockey sense, playmaking, puck handling, ability to read the play....I have to ask, being such the better than average scout what is it about him that makes you think he will not turn out because I can say one thing...my last 18 years in hockey I have seen a lot and he has everything to be a low bust shot for the future....he has the speed....he has the hockey sense (which is HUGE in development) alot of players have all the skill but A LOT lack the sense an that helps big time players make it to the next level....so i have to ask, why won't he turn out?

reason Daigle never turned out was NOT because his talent would not let him because talent wise he was better than most in the NHL, it was the fact that he did not want to play hockey he wanted to be a movie actor, his passion for the game was not there......always the same issues that a player does not turn out....passion, hard work, hockey sense are big factors players do not turn out, i mean look at Fata his speed bought him a lot of hype his hockey sense was lacking big time.....Crosby had the skill, the passion and fire, did extra work, and has the amazing hockey sense....if a player like McDavid works hard and with his hockey sense and skating ability there is no reason he should not turn out.

Last edited by scoutman1: 03-25-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old
03-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize there was a differentation. I'll defer to your expertise - cheers. Once they play a pro game does that nullify it? I went to night school with a guy who said he refused to sign with the Marlies despite an invite because he didn't want to jeopardize his scholarship...though I confess I don't recall all the details (this was years ago).
I can only speak to the past 5-6 years. If a player plays in the ECHL or the AHL on an pro contract, then he has his education package for 18 months. The rational was that David Branch wanted kids to get the opportunity to play a year in pro hockey and then see what they wanted to do.

Good on Branch, I dont like alot of what he does, but this one was a good call.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Royal Canuck
SuperCam!

McDavid vs Mackinnon - The next Ovechkin vs Crosby ??

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
03-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crossbar View Post
McDavid vs Mackinnon - The next Ovechkin vs Crosby ??
Next Yzerman vs Sakic I think.

Closed Thread