HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2012, 06:48 PM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
He's good.

Old
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

looks like he just got the easiest assist of his career so far.

Old
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
McDavid is rather good in front of the net. Either the Knights aren't taking him serious or something because he was able to get a good tip on that puck that led to that goal. His point streak is now at 10 games.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:49 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
the only way youll be able to watch is on the OHL website. its about 8 bucks after tax. the quality is pretty low, but the feed doesnt cut out (even on my ****** internet connection).

unless you find it somewhere else...but its very very hard to find it being streamed for free.
I knew it would be tough to find something, but it's on Sportsnet and NHL Network too.

So I thought it's bigger chance someone could cover it.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Nice comparison. I'm not sure I agree that McDavid is faster than Crosby was, but otherwise everything looks quite good.
I haven't seen McDavid go at top speed yet, but I'd have to agree with you here. Crosby at top speed is just preposterous.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Or you could say "You know, McDavid is pretty great. I watched him play and I could see how good he was." You don't have to bring yourself into it. Crosby did.

"He reminds me of myself." Do you watch yourself play a lot, Crosby? Maybe he watches old videos of himself from time to time, just to reminisce. I mean, we all do that, right? ...right?

Let's not forget Crosby just said "he looks like he's got it all." Does Crosby have it all? I certainly don't think so, but even then, when did statements like that become anything but arrogant? That's a statement that would make even Alex Ovechkin blush...
It may not be pleasant to hear, but it's not really bragging if you can back it up. Nothing Crosby said was untrue. He's the best player in the world, and I think everyone would agree that he has it all. His game really doesn't have weaknesses, and if it does, he just goes and turns them into strengths.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
I knew it would be tough to find something, but it's on Sportsnet and NHL Network too.

So I thought it's bigger chance someone could cover it.
yeah it might be in someone's interest to stream these games given that the nhl lockout will bring some more viewers. someones gotta step up.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Wease

Watching this game on NHL Network in the U.S. tonight. Very impressed with him. It's the first time I've seen him play, but he does remind me of Crosby. For a 15 year old, he's got a ton of talent. Great wheels, too. Cannot wait to see who gets him in a few years and pay in the NHL. Wow...

Old
10-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Koivu 11

im in montreal and i cant get the game anywhere!! its not on any of my sportsnet (i have all 4 none HD and and SNESHD) Im with videotron so i dont get sportsnet ONE with the game on (only on bell) and on my NHLN its the 2008 Avs-Wild playoff series!!! somebody plz help me i cant even find links online!!!

Old
10-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu 11 View Post
im in montreal and i cant get the game anywhere!! its not on any of my sportsnet (i have all 4 none HD and and SNESHD) Im with videotron so i dont get sportsnet ONE with the game on (only on bell) and on my NHLN its the 2008 Avs-Wild playoff series!!! somebody plz help me i cant even find links online!!!
there aren't any streams for free (as far as i know). this is the only way you can watch http://ohl.neulion.com/ohl/

Old
10-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Larry Hoover

If you're a rogers customer you can watch online free

http://www.rogersondemand.com/channe.../sportsnet_one

Old
10-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

McDavid seemed a bit quiet in the 2nd period. Some chances but not like in the first. Got stood up by Harrington though. Game tied at 2 headed into the 3rd period.

Old
10-19-2012, 08:02 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
From what I've seen (bouncing back from this and the Norfolk Admirals game)

-McDavid is gonna be a phenom
-Maatta is either overrated or not having a strong enough night
-Zadorov in my mind deserves more hype than he gets
-Griffith should've gone in the second round.
-Dansk seems a bit shaky to me

Old
10-19-2012, 08:35 PM
ponder

McDavid has had some great defensive plays in the 3rd, excellent positioning, effort level and physicality in his own end.

Edit: and just when I say that, he gets schooled right at the end of regulation, allowing a good scoring chance. Still, he was overall strong defensively through the period

Edit 2: solid OT for McDavid, got tonnes of ice time and IMO looked like the best player on the ice. I can see the stylistic comparisons to Crosby, also shades of Parise with how aggressive he is pursuing the puck

Edit 3: hahaha, looked great coming in on the shootout, dekeing up a storm, then totally lost the puck and didn't even get a shot on net. Taking notes from Stamkos and Kovy

Last edited by ponder: 10-19-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old
10-19-2012, 09:01 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Nice comparison. I'm not sure I agree that McDavid is faster than Crosby was, but otherwise everything looks quite good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
I haven't seen McDavid go at top speed yet, but I'd have to agree with you here. Crosby at top speed is just preposterous.
That may be true - as I recall watching Crosby at 16, he was obviously fast, but his strength, balance, control, and quickness made him all the more effective at top speed. He was only about 5'9 - 5'10 as a 15 - 16 year old. McDavid is looking like he's getting closer and closer to 6'0 every day, and at the same age, I think he was a bit faster.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Or you could say "You know, McDavid is pretty great. I watched him play and I could see how good he was." You don't have to bring yourself into it. Crosby did.

"He reminds me of myself." Do you watch yourself play a lot, Crosby? Maybe he watches old videos of himself from time to time, just to reminisce. I mean, we all do that, right? ...right?

Let's not forget Crosby just said "he looks like he's got it all." Does Crosby have it all? I certainly don't think so, but even then, when did statements like that become anything but arrogant? That's a statement that would make even Alex Ovechkin blush...
Except...it actually applies. In terms of style and strengths, the two are quite similar.

The temerity of the best player in the world, to say that a prospect reminded him of himself! This is nearly as bad as not lining up for a handshake promptly enough for the other team!

Old
10-19-2012, 09:22 PM
re5piration
'67 til

He needs some better linemates, I know the Otters are a young and inexperienced group, but from what I saw this game, no one's really clicked with him. Season is young though, so we'll see if things change.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
From what I've seen (bouncing back from this and the Norfolk Admirals game)

-McDavid is gonna be a phenom
-Maatta is either overrated or not having a strong enough night
-Zadorov in my mind deserves more hype than he gets
-Griffith should've gone in the second round.
-Dansk seems a bit shaky to me
Hmm yea this is the only "evaluation" I agree with. Others are completely off base. Maata is not overrated, he's underrated. Zadorov, who I do like a lot, is exactly where he should be in draft talk at this point. Griffith's game probably doesn't translate well. Dansk is a very good goalie, but may stunt his own development by putting too much pressure on himself trying to carry such a bad team.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:33 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

After McDavid who is Erie building around ?

Wi the contend in his draft year ?

Old
10-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
Hmm yea this is the only "evaluation" I agree with. Others are completely off base. Maata is not overrated, he's underrated. Zadorov, who I do like a lot, is exactly where he should be in draft talk at this point. Griffith's game probably doesn't translate well. Dansk is a very good goalie, but may stunt his own development by putting too much pressure on himself trying to carry such a bad team.
Dansk was fine. Calvin Pickard was pelted with shots in Seattle, holds the record for most saves in the WHL. He seems to be doing fine in the AHL right now. Oscar Dansk will be fine on this Erie team.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:39 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
Dansk was fine. Calvin Pickard was pelted with shots in Seattle, holds the record for most saves in the WHL. He seems to be doing fine in the AHL right now. Oscar Dansk will be fine on this Erie team.
Poor Calvin Pickard... The guy got stuck in such a bad situation...

Dansk has it good.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
I agree. Another example is Matt Murray of the Greyhounds. The kid is seeing I think on average around 40 shots a game, but has held his own. Like Pickard and Dansk, he's a solid goalie prospect on a team with hardly any defense. All of them seem technically sound, seeing lots of shots so people shouldn't "stat watch" with these types of goalie prospects.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Except...it actually applies. In terms of style and strengths, the two are quite similar.

The temerity of the best player in the world, to say that a prospect reminded him of himself! This is nearly as bad as not lining up for a handshake promptly enough for the other team!
That's exactly it. Crosby is the proven commodity and McDavid is the youngster. It takes a true hater to try to twist this into a case of Crosby bragging about himself. Bragging about himself would be comparing himself to Gretzky, or Yzerman, or Lemieux and saying 'I can see the comparisons'. But how dare the best hockey player in the world compare himself to a kid with 11 games in the OHL!

When I first saw the comments I figured the criticisms would focus on Crosby putting too much hype on a young player.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:03 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

People forget that goalies who seem lots of rubber tend to be better prepared for the pro game.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Back to McDavid though. You could tell he was tired in the third period. Whole team was tired though so it's not really surprising. He stepped it up in OT though which I thought was impressive. Seemed to be aggressive at the right moment and then cautious when he needed to be. Shootout attempt could have been a lot better but what can you do about it.

Closed Thread