HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2012, 03:19 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 500
Crosby is the best hockey player in the world. He knows it and so does everyone. Its not a huge deal. You people get upset over the most ridiculous things

Old
10-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Crosby is the best hockey player in the world. He knows it and so does everyone. Its not a huge deal. You people get upset over the most ridiculous things
What do you mean "you people"?

Old
10-19-2012, 04:23 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Or you could say "You know, McDavid is pretty great. I watched him play and I could see how good he was." You don't have to bring yourself into it. Crosby did.

"He reminds me of myself." Do you watch yourself play a lot, Crosby? Maybe he watches old videos of himself from time to time, just to reminisce. I mean, we all do that, right? ...right?

Let's not forget Crosby just said "he looks like he's got it all." Does Crosby have it all? I certainly don't think so, but even then, when did statements like that become anything but arrogant? That's a statement that would make even Alex Ovechkin blush...
I'm pretty sure a player like Crosby has rewatched footage of himself playing to improve at some aspects of the game, I'm sure many players do this.

Old
10-19-2012, 04:27 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Or you could say "You know, McDavid is pretty great. I watched him play and I could see how good he was." You don't have to bring yourself into it. Crosby did.

"He reminds me of myself." Do you watch yourself play a lot, Crosby? Maybe he watches old videos of himself from time to time, just to reminisce. I mean, we all do that, right? ...right?

Let's not forget Crosby just said "he looks like he's got it all." Does Crosby have it all? I certainly don't think so, but even then, when did statements like that become anything but arrogant? That's a statement that would make even Alex Ovechkin blush...
Haha really?

Old
10-19-2012, 05:49 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

I posted this analysis in the other McDavid thread, trying to get together some sort of comprehensive analysis between Crosby and McDavid at the same age:

This is actually a bit closer than most think. McDavid's passing ability rivals that of Crosby at the same point in their development, and its the exact same style - They both have that uncanny ability to make a pass a split second faster and a hair more accurate than pretty much everybody else. Time moves a bit slower for their minds out on that ice.

The real difference between their two games is strength & balance. At this age, Crosby was already like 185 lbs and was just an absolute monster on the puck. At 15 he was stronger than most 20 year olds. At 16 in the Q, he was a man among boys. He was just so physically dominant it was hard not to notice him. Hell, look at video from when he was 14 - he was already built like a tank - probably close to 165lbs at only like 5'7. Look at the first minute of this clip:

Now compare to a 14/15 year old McDavid

McDavid definitely has a bit more lankiness to him, and I don't think he has the natural frame to fill in like Crosby. To be sure, he has grown "up" while Crosby was growing "out". Crosby's natural frame was hugely important in his abilities as a prospect (and now). Look at the goal at Canada Cup at the :30 second mark in this vid - I believe he is 14 years old. At that age he is already extremely thick and shows excellent balance.

From my limited viewings of McDavid - I have not seen that natural strength and balance. But he does do several things at the same age as good as or better than Crosby. Here's how I think they stack up on the primary offensive skills:

Puck Skills
- Puckhandling - McDavid has a quick, soft set of hands, probably a hair better than Crosby's. He handles the puck in a very "Russian" way, much like a guy like Alex Semin. It should be of note that McDavid uses a longer, more curved stick than Crosby, who has always used very short sticks with a flat curve.

- Deking (yes, there is a difference) - This is about even. McDavid has shown he can beat guys with quick moves but I'd give a slight edge to Crosby here just because his strength allowed him to power through checks at the tail end of deking.

- Puck Control & Protection - I think Crosby wins this area pretty handedly. Just a stronger guy (and he uses a shorter stick). Though McDavid's tight turns, quick hands, and awareness make him extremely effective here. Crosby was also a tireless worker on the puck and had a bit more grit to his game in the corners and around the net that I haven't seen from McDavid. McDavid is a bit more finesse and I haven't seen the desperation in his play like I saw from Crosby, though that level of work ethic is shared with only a few other guys (Parise, Zetterberg, etc.)

- Hand-eye coordination - Crosby has always been insane here. I haven't seen much from McDavid but I'd have a hard time believing he is better than Sid was.

- Finishing/Hands in tight - Again, Crosby was masterful at this, and has only gotten better. That said, from what I've seen from McDavid, he is also extremely good here. Call it a draw.

- Shooting - This is difficult, and I think it needs to be broken down into a few different segments:
Wrist Shot - McDavid here - longer stick, bigger curve. He can snipe from the outside very effectively. Like I alluded to earlier, he has a bit of a "Russian" skill set with the puck - his shot is again a lot like a guy like Semin's. Crosby was not able to snipe like that until he turned 20-21, and even then its not his game.
Snap Shot - This goes to Crosby by a fair margin. I haven't seen too many guys with the quickness and accuracy in their snap shots as Crosby. His one-time snap shot is a thing of beauty.
Slap Shot - McDavid here - but this is largely irrelevant to both of their games. I don't think Crosby even took a slap shot before he turned 21

- Technical Passing Skill - This goes to Crosby hands down. The best passing motion I've ever seen in a prospect. Flawless saucer passes and backhand passes.

Skating

- Quickness/Acceleration - This is close - I'd say its about a draw. Both have show to be extremely quick on their edges at this age.

- Speed - McDavid is faster than Crosby was at this age. Crosby was still a bit shorter and really wasn't built for top end speed. McDavid is just a great skater and will probably be one of the fastest guys in the league in a few years.

- Skating fundamentals - Both fantastic skaters. Slight edge to Crosby because he was smaller. I think McDavid is a still growing a bit and has a bit more awkwardness to his skating

- Balance - Crosby for sure

Hockey Sense

- Offensive Vision (with the puck) - I call this a draw. McDavid is the first prospect I've seen since Crosby to have the exact same type of vision that Sid had. The ability to make quick plays, to see the ice without looking, and to slow the play down around the net.

- Offensive Vision (without the puck) -This is another area where I think McDavid trails Crosby by a fair amount, and its an attribute that is rarely discussed. Crosby sees the ice probably better without the puck than pretty much everyone, including Gretzky (Tavares is probably the next closest in terms of this ability). He knows exactly where to be to get open at precisely the right time and place to put away tap ins. His ability to get lost for just a few seconds and then return and tap one in at the goal mouth is prodigal. This is the best player in the world, yet he spends more time being "open" than probably anybody else. Watching him, you can't help but wonder how this happens when he gets the toughest matchups game in and game out. You wonder how the best dmen in the league lose him so easily.

Watching Crosby, even at 16, he would consciously skate the the corners and literally hide for a few seconds and then time a crash to the net to score a rebound. I haven't seen that ability from McDavid yet.

All in all - I'd rank Crosby ahead of McDavid. I would have ranked Sid as a 10.0B as a 15/16 year old. Right now, I'd say McDavid is like a 9.5C. He still has a long way to go, but he does have the potential to be a better offensive playerthan Crosby, but he will need to get bigger and stronger and continue to develop his hockey sense. I don't know if he has the potential to be a better two way player than Crosby though.

I see McDavid topping out around 6'1 205 lbs or so, and playing a Crosby/Semin/Gaborik hybrid style. Exceptional vision, best in class puck skills and shooting, and top end speed. Perhaps a bigger, faster Claude Giroux would be the best comparison. I'd say a ceiling for his scoring would be around 130 points in today's NHL, with an expectation to be between 85 and 110 points in his prime. For comparison, I saw Crosby (and still do) as having 150 point potential, with a point range between 110 and 130 points in his prime.

It will be interesting to see McDavid develop. I don't think he is quite at Crosby's level but I do think he is the best prospect since Crosby at this age, based on his skill set. What really made Crosby standout was his physical strength/balance and his offensive awareness without the puck. Everything else is pretty much a draw.

He will probably have a Tavares-like season, but I think his overall skill set and skating ability make him the better prospect at this age.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:03 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Sportsnet did something on the kid tonight.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
They are also showing the game against London on Sportsnet one right now.

Pumped to see him play.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Leviathan

Hopefully he is able to get the puck more than last time against the Knights. They kept it away from him pretty well, but when he got it he did what he could with it.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Is there any way to stream this game online?

Old
10-19-2012, 06:22 PM
PenguinTommy

would like to watch it if someone has the link

Old
10-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Leviathan

the only way youll be able to watch is on the OHL website. its about 8 bucks after tax. the quality is pretty low, but the feed doesnt cut out (even on my ****** internet connection).

unless you find it somewhere else...but its very very hard to find it being streamed for free.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
I've watched 10 minutes and I can say the kid is amazing.

Ridiculous hands and speed. Wow.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:30 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I've watched 10 minutes and I can say the kid is amazing.

Ridiculous hands and speed. Wow.
And he's got NHL level vision and patience.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Leviathan

Yep he looks possessed tonight.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:41 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
Yep he looks possessed tonight.
He knows he's on TV

Old
10-19-2012, 06:44 PM
jigglysquishy

Absolute treat to watch. Looks like the best player on the ice

Old
10-19-2012, 06:45 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
I posted this analysis in the other McDavid thread, trying to get together some sort of comprehensive analysis between Crosby and McDavid at the same age:
Nice comparison. I'm not sure I agree that McDavid is faster than Crosby was, but otherwise everything looks quite good.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Leviathan

McDavid gets an assist and the point streak reaches 10 games!

Old
10-19-2012, 06:48 PM
FLYguy3911

He's good.

Old
Leafs at Knight
#WeTheSouthernON

looks like he just got the easiest assist of his career so far.

Old
Gigantor The Goalie

McDavid is rather good in front of the net. Either the Knights aren't taking him serious or something because he was able to get a good tip on that puck that led to that goal. His point streak is now at 10 games.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:49 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
the only way youll be able to watch is on the OHL website. its about 8 bucks after tax. the quality is pretty low, but the feed doesnt cut out (even on my ****** internet connection).

unless you find it somewhere else...but its very very hard to find it being streamed for free.
I knew it would be tough to find something, but it's on Sportsnet and NHL Network too.

So I thought it's bigger chance someone could cover it.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Nice comparison. I'm not sure I agree that McDavid is faster than Crosby was, but otherwise everything looks quite good.
I haven't seen McDavid go at top speed yet, but I'd have to agree with you here. Crosby at top speed is just preposterous.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Incognito

Quote:

It may not be pleasant to hear, but it's not really bragging if you can back it up. Nothing Crosby said was untrue. He's the best player in the world, and I think everyone would agree that he has it all. His game really doesn't have weaknesses, and if it does, he just goes and turns them into strengths.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
I knew it would be tough to find something, but it's on Sportsnet and NHL Network too.

So I thought it's bigger chance someone could cover it.
yeah it might be in someone's interest to stream these games given that the nhl lockout will bring some more viewers. someones gotta step up.

Closed Thread