HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2012, 04:38 PM
  #126
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
He's on a team that went 67-3-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamkosisboss View Post
He is the reason they are doing so well
It's not unheard of for Minor Midget teams to dominate a season, especially in the GTHL. They're quite the team though, with a win tonight they'll go undefeated in the GTHL playoffs.

As for the inevitable MacKinnon comparison, it's tough to make now. I've seen both play, but never at the same level. McDavid and Ho-Sang in MM, and MacKinnon in the Q or in best-on-bests. If they're put into a similar situation as Nathan was this year (which they probably won't), they can have a similar impact offensively, IMO.

Pick Six is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 04:58 PM
  #127
habsrule4eva3089
Registered User
 
habsrule4eva3089's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WxQbD4PsoI

I'm just going by this one video but seems to me both are special players in their own way. Ho Sang at least to me at this stage seems to exude similarities to Patrick Kane with his playing style and I can see what people mean when they say he tries to do much because he's possibly bored of the competition. As for McDavid...wow the kid is just unreal, hard to believe he's an underager. He should be in the OHL next year to keep up his progress. Both should accustom quickly to Junior and hopefully with the right situation are able to produce at a fair clip.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 12:17 AM
  #128
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Mcdavid put on a quite a show tonight to close out the Rebels in the final. Scored with 20 seconds left in the game with a jaw dropping goal. Mcdavid had 31 points in 14 games playoff games. Hosang had 14 points in 14 games. Mcdavid is their MVP . He scored big goals for this team when it mattered.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 08:16 AM
  #129
UppA45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Mcdavid put on a quite a show tonight to close out the Rebels in the final. Scored with 20 seconds left in the game with a jaw dropping goal. Mcdavid had 31 points in 14 games playoff games. Hosang had 14 points in 14 games. Mcdavid is their MVP . He scored big goals for this team when it mattered.
This kid is a stud, he's impressed the **** out of me everytime I have seen him - talent wise he is definitely exceptional! I wasn't able to go last night and selfishly I was hoping it would go to 6 so I could watch on Wednesday night, lol!
How did Mckeown and Ho Sang look last night though? They are normally quite impressive as well...

UppA45 is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 02:42 PM
  #130
shello
@WShello9
 
shello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ile-Perrot, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WxQbD4PsoI

I'm just going by this one video but seems to me both are special players in their own way. Ho Sang at least to me at this stage seems to exude similarities to Patrick Kane with his playing style and I can see what people mean when they say he tries to do much because he's possibly bored of the competition. As for McDavid...wow the kid is just unreal, hard to believe he's an underager. He should be in the OHL next year to keep up his progress. Both should accustom quickly to Junior and hopefully with the right situation are able to produce at a fair clip.
Thanks for posting that link, certainly fun to watch. Mcdavid from the highlights looked liked the best one out there, probably was all game, but I'm sure Ho-Sang would have something to say about that. Kid is unreal. Haven't seen Mcdavid a lot but he reminds me of RNH.


Last edited by shello: 03-06-2012 at 04:42 PM.
shello is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 03:54 PM
  #131
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Thanks for posting that link, certainly fun to watch. Mcdavid from the highlights looked liked the best one out there, probably was all game, but I'm sure Ho-Sang would have something to say about that. Kid is unreal.
McDavid is much more economical with his speed. Ho-Sang tends to make the all-out rushes just for the sake it sometimes, while McDavid will turn on the afterburners when the opportunity presents itself and more often than not he scores or it results in a great chance. He's just picks his spots better than Ho-Sang does.

I agree with mapleleaf that teams (the Rebels, at least) seemed to have figure out how to play Ho-Sang. They really have their scouting report down pat on him. He still stands out, but not to the same degree.

Garyboy is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 03:59 PM
  #132
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,035
vCash: 500
I haven't heard much since the exceptional status application deadline does anyone know or heard anything new on Mcdavid or when the decision will be made?

OHLFan8771 is online now  
Old
03-06-2012, 04:06 PM
  #133
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
I haven't heard much since the exceptional status application deadline does anyone know or heard anything new on Mcdavid or when the decision will be made?
I'm guessing it won't be made until after the OHL Cup. Which concludes March 18th. Look for the announcement very soon after that.

Garyboy is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 07:59 PM
  #134
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xsmP...1&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tipEM...2&feature=plcp

Some recent videos from this past weekend. I can't wait to see these kids play.

Alberta tough is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 08:56 PM
  #135
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xsmP...1&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tipEM...2&feature=plcp

Some recent videos from this past weekend. I can't wait to see these kids play.
Could the guy put the game 5 clips to more depressing music? Yikes. Thanks a lot for making these videos, but video number 2's music choice...

Be right back. Making a Datsyuk highlight video to gloomy music.


Last edited by Garyboy: 03-06-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Garyboy is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 03:48 AM
  #136
Doomsday Device
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Posts: 2,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
I haven't heard much since the exceptional status application deadline does anyone know or heard anything new on Mcdavid or when the decision will be made?
Ekblad's was announced on March 31, so if McDavid is successful, you'll probably hear around then.

Doomsday Device is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 08:51 AM
  #137
dangsLITE
Registered User
 
dangsLITE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dirty Jeez
Country: United States
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
From watching the highlights I'm a bit skeptical to if he's really good enough for exceptional status? Like he's obviously a good skater and has some vision but nothing all that insane. Maybe these just aren't enough, but most elite kids can pass just as well as him and some can probably skate better? I don't know, highlights are a terrible way to judge, but I remember watching some of Domi's last year, and he seemed a lot bigger (in terms of strength not height) and more explosive. I know he's only a 97, but it kinda seems like playing Major Midget and dominating would be good for him since he's not that big? Not denying his skill but if he doesn't add some muscle and maybe a few inches, he's not going to have much success in the O.

dangsLITE is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 12:58 PM
  #138
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangsLITE View Post
From watching the highlights I'm a bit skeptical to if he's really good enough for exceptional status? Like he's obviously a good skater and has some vision but nothing all that insane. Maybe these just aren't enough, but most elite kids can pass just as well as him and some can probably skate better? I don't know, highlights are a terrible way to judge, but I remember watching some of Domi's last year, and he seemed a lot bigger (in terms of strength not height) and more explosive. I know he's only a 97, but it kinda seems like playing Major Midget and dominating would be good for him since he's not that big? Not denying his skill but if he doesn't add some muscle and maybe a few inches, he's not going to have much success in the O.
You have to see him live. If there's one sport that television doesn't do justice to (never mind a guy operating with one single camera) it's hockey. Speak to anyone who has seen McDavid live numerous times and they'll all tell you he's very worthy of getting exceptional status.

I saw Domi plays lots last year. He's not on McDavid's level when it comes to overall skill-set, and McDavid is a year younger (speaking on them as Minor Midgets).

Garyboy is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 01:22 PM
  #139
UppA45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
You have to see him live. If there's one sport that television doesn't do justice to (never mind a guy operating with one single camera) it's hockey. Speak to anyone who has seen McDavid live numerous times and they'll all tell you he's very worthy of getting exceptional status.

I saw Domi plays lots last year. He's not on McDavid's level when it comes to overall skill-set, and McDavid is a year younger (speaking on them as Minor Midgets).

What Garyboy said. Amen!

UppA45 is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 01:51 PM
  #140
dangsLITE
Registered User
 
dangsLITE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dirty Jeez
Country: United States
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
You have to see him live. If there's one sport that television doesn't do justice to (never mind a guy operating with one single camera) it's hockey. Speak to anyone who has seen McDavid live numerous times and they'll all tell you he's very worthy of getting exceptional status.

I saw Domi plays lots last year. He's not on McDavid's level when it comes to overall skill-set, and McDavid is a year younger (speaking on them as Minor Midgets).
Yeah I figured. It would be something to see two exceptions granted in two years. Sounds like he has the skill/speed but do you think his size will hold him back (from getting exceptional status/having success next year in the OHL, not in the future)? How big is he?

dangsLITE is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 02:02 PM
  #141
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangsLITE View Post
Yeah I figured. It would be something to see two exceptions granted in two years. Sounds like he has the skill/speed but do you think his size will hold him back (from getting exceptional status/having success next year in the OHL, not in the future)? How big is he?
Hes slightly smaller then Domi, but I dont think many think that it will hold him back. He plays against kids 6'1/200 routenly in the GTHL/tournaments, and he doesnt struggle at all.

It would be an excuse used to hold him back, not a genuine reason.

Tigers1992 is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 11:47 AM
  #142
NeverGoingToWin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,617
vCash: 500
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389764

McKenzie wrote an article talking about the debate.

Quote:
The consensus seems to be that if McDavid applied, he's a slam dunk to get exceptional status.

Either way, based on the impact he's making on the ice this season, Connor McDavid is a name we're likely to become more familiar with.


Last edited by NeverGoingToWin: 03-08-2012 at 11:58 AM.
NeverGoingToWin is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 11:50 AM
  #143
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Connor Mcdavid is growing. He was shorter than Hosang at the beginning of the year. Now he is taller. Mcdavid will probably end up being 6-0 or 6-1. He is about 5-11 165. 2 months ago he was 14.

Max Domi has more grit to his game than Mcdavid and is stronger in the weight room. That will never change. Domi has the physical edge. Mcdavid has every other edge. But Mcdavid is playing up a year. Mcdavid more than makes up for this with his Balance. Mcdavid will never be a power forward. His game is high pace and skill. He bumps a little bit. But tends to use his quick hands to life your stick and take the puck compared to hitting u out of the way. Mcdavid has rarely been hit this year he is very elusive.

With all due respect to Domi who is highly skilled. He isnt in the same class as Mcdavid. Mcdavid is probably the most talented to come through the GTHL in years. Even more he dominates a 96' class that is viewed as the deepest in years. From my view Mcdavid will get over 100 points in the OHL in his second season, possibly his first. He is that good. He reminds me very much of Sidney Crosby.


Last edited by mapleleaf979: 03-08-2012 at 11:57 AM.
mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 01:08 PM
  #144
UppA45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389764

McKenzie wrote an article talking about the debate.
McKenzie also states that a decision should be made on this by the end of next week at the latest as to whether he gets it or not! Patiently waiting and hoping!

UppA45 is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 03:37 PM
  #145
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala
 
Renegade Stylings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22,821
vCash: 3333
Video about Mcdavid also went live this afternoon from Bobby Mac

Renegade Stylings is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 05:02 PM
  #146
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
They're talking about McDavid on Prime Time Sports right now.

Garyboy is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 06:17 PM
  #147
Brock
Moderator
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,210
vCash: 500
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/201...r-mcdavid.html

I guess I joined the McDavid bandwagon at the height of his exposure.

Little Q & A I did with him recently to help me write an article for PuckLife magazine.

__________________
OHL Prospects Blog - http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/
OHL Prospects on Twitter - @BrockOtten
Brock is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 06:21 PM
  #148
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Guernsey
Posts: 15,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Connor Mcdavid is growing. He was shorter than Hosang at the beginning of the year. Now he is taller. Mcdavid will probably end up being 6-0 or 6-1. He is about 5-11 165. 2 months ago he was 14.

Max Domi has more grit to his game than Mcdavid and is stronger in the weight room. That will never change. Domi has the physical edge. Mcdavid has every other edge. But Mcdavid is playing up a year. Mcdavid more than makes up for this with his Balance. Mcdavid will never be a power forward. His game is high pace and skill. He bumps a little bit. But tends to use his quick hands to life your stick and take the puck compared to hitting u out of the way. Mcdavid has rarely been hit this year he is very elusive.

With all due respect to Domi who is highly skilled. He isnt in the same class as Mcdavid. Mcdavid is probably the most talented to come through the GTHL in years. Even more he dominates a 96' class that is viewed as the deepest in years. From my view Mcdavid will get over 100 points in the OHL in his second season, possibly his first. He is that good. He reminds me very much of Sidney Crosby.
100 points this year is a little much. I'd suspect he'll be in Tavares range or probably a little lower (Scoring in the OHL is down since Tavares was a 15 year old)

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now  
Old
03-08-2012, 07:36 PM
  #149
sturmthis
@Zen_44
 
sturmthis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 191
vCash: 500
Does anybody have his stats for this season?

sturmthis is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 07:51 PM
  #150
MrFunnyWobbl
So Aaron Baddeley
 
MrFunnyWobbl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Walking on the moon
Country: Comoros
Posts: 16,906
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmthis View Post
Does anybody have his stats for this season?
I'd like to know also.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.