HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
He's on a team that went 67-3-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamkosisboss View Post
He is the reason they are doing so well
It's not unheard of for Minor Midget teams to dominate a season, especially in the GTHL. They're quite the team though, with a win tonight they'll go undefeated in the GTHL playoffs.

As for the inevitable MacKinnon comparison, it's tough to make now. I've seen both play, but never at the same level. McDavid and Ho-Sang in MM, and MacKinnon in the Q or in best-on-bests. If they're put into a similar situation as Nathan was this year (which they probably won't), they can have a similar impact offensively, IMO.

Old
03-04-2012, 04:58 PM
habsrule4eva3089

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WxQbD4PsoI

I'm just going by this one video but seems to me both are special players in their own way. Ho Sang at least to me at this stage seems to exude similarities to Patrick Kane with his playing style and I can see what people mean when they say he tries to do much because he's possibly bored of the competition. As for McDavid...wow the kid is just unreal, hard to believe he's an underager. He should be in the OHL next year to keep up his progress. Both should accustom quickly to Junior and hopefully with the right situation are able to produce at a fair clip.

Old
03-06-2012, 12:17 AM
mapleleaf979

Mcdavid put on a quite a show tonight to close out the Rebels in the final. Scored with 20 seconds left in the game with a jaw dropping goal. Mcdavid had 31 points in 14 games playoff games. Hosang had 14 points in 14 games. Mcdavid is their MVP . He scored big goals for this team when it mattered.

Old
03-06-2012, 08:16 AM
UppA45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Mcdavid put on a quite a show tonight to close out the Rebels in the final. Scored with 20 seconds left in the game with a jaw dropping goal. Mcdavid had 31 points in 14 games playoff games. Hosang had 14 points in 14 games. Mcdavid is their MVP . He scored big goals for this team when it mattered.
This kid is a stud, he's impressed the **** out of me everytime I have seen him - talent wise he is definitely exceptional! I wasn't able to go last night and selfishly I was hoping it would go to 6 so I could watch on Wednesday night, lol!
How did Mckeown and Ho Sang look last night though? They are normally quite impressive as well...

Old
03-06-2012, 02:42 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WxQbD4PsoI

I'm just going by this one video but seems to me both are special players in their own way. Ho Sang at least to me at this stage seems to exude similarities to Patrick Kane with his playing style and I can see what people mean when they say he tries to do much because he's possibly bored of the competition. As for McDavid...wow the kid is just unreal, hard to believe he's an underager. He should be in the OHL next year to keep up his progress. Both should accustom quickly to Junior and hopefully with the right situation are able to produce at a fair clip.
Thanks for posting that link, certainly fun to watch. Mcdavid from the highlights looked liked the best one out there, probably was all game, but I'm sure Ho-Sang would have something to say about that. Kid is unreal. Haven't seen Mcdavid a lot but he reminds me of RNH.

Last edited by shello: 03-06-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old
03-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Thanks for posting that link, certainly fun to watch. Mcdavid from the highlights looked liked the best one out there, probably was all game, but I'm sure Ho-Sang would have something to say about that. Kid is unreal.
McDavid is much more economical with his speed. Ho-Sang tends to make the all-out rushes just for the sake it sometimes, while McDavid will turn on the afterburners when the opportunity presents itself and more often than not he scores or it results in a great chance. He's just picks his spots better than Ho-Sang does.

I agree with mapleleaf that teams (the Rebels, at least) seemed to have figure out how to play Ho-Sang. They really have their scouting report down pat on him. He still stands out, but not to the same degree.

Old
03-06-2012, 03:59 PM
OHLFan8771

I haven't heard much since the exceptional status application deadline does anyone know or heard anything new on Mcdavid or when the decision will be made?

Old
03-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
I haven't heard much since the exceptional status application deadline does anyone know or heard anything new on Mcdavid or when the decision will be made?
I'm guessing it won't be made until after the OHL Cup. Which concludes March 18th. Look for the announcement very soon after that.

Old
03-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Alberta tough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xsmP...1&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tipEM...2&feature=plcp

Some recent videos from this past weekend. I can't wait to see these kids play.

Old
03-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xsmP...1&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tipEM...2&feature=plcp

Some recent videos from this past weekend. I can't wait to see these kids play.
Could the guy put the game 5 clips to more depressing music? Yikes. Thanks a lot for making these videos, but video number 2's music choice...

Be right back. Making a Datsyuk highlight video to gloomy music.

Last edited by Garyboy: 03-06-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old
03-07-2012, 03:48 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
Ekblad's was announced on March 31, so if McDavid is successful, you'll probably hear around then.

Old
03-07-2012, 08:51 AM
dangsLITE

From watching the highlights I'm a bit skeptical to if he's really good enough for exceptional status? Like he's obviously a good skater and has some vision but nothing all that insane. Maybe these just aren't enough, but most elite kids can pass just as well as him and some can probably skate better? I don't know, highlights are a terrible way to judge, but I remember watching some of Domi's last year, and he seemed a lot bigger (in terms of strength not height) and more explosive. I know he's only a 97, but it kinda seems like playing Major Midget and dominating would be good for him since he's not that big? Not denying his skill but if he doesn't add some muscle and maybe a few inches, he's not going to have much success in the O.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangsLITE View Post
From watching the highlights I'm a bit skeptical to if he's really good enough for exceptional status? Like he's obviously a good skater and has some vision but nothing all that insane. Maybe these just aren't enough, but most elite kids can pass just as well as him and some can probably skate better? I don't know, highlights are a terrible way to judge, but I remember watching some of Domi's last year, and he seemed a lot bigger (in terms of strength not height) and more explosive. I know he's only a 97, but it kinda seems like playing Major Midget and dominating would be good for him since he's not that big? Not denying his skill but if he doesn't add some muscle and maybe a few inches, he's not going to have much success in the O.
You have to see him live. If there's one sport that television doesn't do justice to (never mind a guy operating with one single camera) it's hockey. Speak to anyone who has seen McDavid live numerous times and they'll all tell you he's very worthy of getting exceptional status.

I saw Domi plays lots last year. He's not on McDavid's level when it comes to overall skill-set, and McDavid is a year younger (speaking on them as Minor Midgets).

Old
03-07-2012, 01:22 PM
UppA45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
You have to see him live. If there's one sport that television doesn't do justice to (never mind a guy operating with one single camera) it's hockey. Speak to anyone who has seen McDavid live numerous times and they'll all tell you he's very worthy of getting exceptional status.

I saw Domi plays lots last year. He's not on McDavid's level when it comes to overall skill-set, and McDavid is a year younger (speaking on them as Minor Midgets).

What Garyboy said. Amen!

Old
03-07-2012, 01:51 PM
dangsLITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post

Yeah I figured. It would be something to see two exceptions granted in two years. Sounds like he has the skill/speed but do you think his size will hold him back (from getting exceptional status/having success next year in the OHL, not in the future)? How big is he?

Old
03-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangsLITE View Post
Yeah I figured. It would be something to see two exceptions granted in two years. Sounds like he has the skill/speed but do you think his size will hold him back (from getting exceptional status/having success next year in the OHL, not in the future)? How big is he?
Hes slightly smaller then Domi, but I dont think many think that it will hold him back. He plays against kids 6'1/200 routenly in the GTHL/tournaments, and he doesnt struggle at all.

It would be an excuse used to hold him back, not a genuine reason.

Old
03-08-2012, 11:47 AM
NeverGoingToWin

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389764

McKenzie wrote an article talking about the debate.

Quote:
The consensus seems to be that if McDavid applied, he's a slam dunk to get exceptional status.

Either way, based on the impact he's making on the ice this season, Connor McDavid is a name we're likely to become more familiar with.

Last edited by NeverGoingToWin: 03-08-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old
03-08-2012, 11:50 AM
mapleleaf979

Connor Mcdavid is growing. He was shorter than Hosang at the beginning of the year. Now he is taller. Mcdavid will probably end up being 6-0 or 6-1. He is about 5-11 165. 2 months ago he was 14.

Max Domi has more grit to his game than Mcdavid and is stronger in the weight room. That will never change. Domi has the physical edge. Mcdavid has every other edge. But Mcdavid is playing up a year. Mcdavid more than makes up for this with his Balance. Mcdavid will never be a power forward. His game is high pace and skill. He bumps a little bit. But tends to use his quick hands to life your stick and take the puck compared to hitting u out of the way. Mcdavid has rarely been hit this year he is very elusive.

With all due respect to Domi who is highly skilled. He isnt in the same class as Mcdavid. Mcdavid is probably the most talented to come through the GTHL in years. Even more he dominates a 96' class that is viewed as the deepest in years. From my view Mcdavid will get over 100 points in the OHL in his second season, possibly his first. He is that good. He reminds me very much of Sidney Crosby.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 03-08-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old
03-08-2012, 01:08 PM
UppA45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389764

McKenzie wrote an article talking about the debate.
McKenzie also states that a decision should be made on this by the end of next week at the latest as to whether he gets it or not! Patiently waiting and hoping!

Old
03-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Video about Mcdavid also went live this afternoon from Bobby Mac

Old
03-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Garyboy

They're talking about McDavid on Prime Time Sports right now.

Old
03-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Brock

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/201...r-mcdavid.html

I guess I joined the McDavid bandwagon at the height of his exposure.

Little Q & A I did with him recently to help me write an article for PuckLife magazine.

Old
03-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Connor Mcdavid is growing. He was shorter than Hosang at the beginning of the year. Now he is taller. Mcdavid will probably end up being 6-0 or 6-1. He is about 5-11 165. 2 months ago he was 14.

Max Domi has more grit to his game than Mcdavid and is stronger in the weight room. That will never change. Domi has the physical edge. Mcdavid has every other edge. But Mcdavid is playing up a year. Mcdavid more than makes up for this with his Balance. Mcdavid will never be a power forward. His game is high pace and skill. He bumps a little bit. But tends to use his quick hands to life your stick and take the puck compared to hitting u out of the way. Mcdavid has rarely been hit this year he is very elusive.

With all due respect to Domi who is highly skilled. He isnt in the same class as Mcdavid. Mcdavid is probably the most talented to come through the GTHL in years. Even more he dominates a 96' class that is viewed as the deepest in years. From my view Mcdavid will get over 100 points in the OHL in his second season, possibly his first. He is that good. He reminds me very much of Sidney Crosby.
100 points this year is a little much. I'd suspect he'll be in Tavares range or probably a little lower (Scoring in the OHL is down since Tavares was a 15 year old)

Old
03-08-2012, 07:36 PM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

Does anybody have his stats for this season?

Old
03-08-2012, 07:51 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
So Aaron Baddeley

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmthis View Post
Does anybody have his stats for this season?
I'd like to know also.

Closed Thread