HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dan Girardi to EDM in off-season

Old
03-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Miller Time NYR
Never go full torts.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Seriously? I know he's good but is it basically going to cost an overpayment to bring him over?

Would Tom Gilbert be someone the Rangers are into? I personally doubt it but if it is he'd be available too.
YES, second answer NO.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:26 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
With the emergence of Sauer and McDonagh as the new shutdown pair and Kundratek and Vtank playing as well as they are down in Hartford, I could actually see them moving Girardi this offseason for a great return and he should garner a great return, not Smid and a 3rd, that's trash for what DG brings.

Down in Hartford we have 3 capable defenders in Teck, Vtank and MDZ all ready to make the step next year. That's not even considering if McCabe resigns of if we go after a UFA like Pitkanen.

I say trade Girardi at the draft for a great return.

Sign Pitkanen and pair him with Staal on your top line. Pitkanen's cap hit might be 1-1.5 more than Girardi so we're not looking at a huge cap hit more but Pitkanen is a better skating and has a much better offensive game.

Play Sauer and McDonagh as your shutdown pair.

Play MDZ with Kundratek/Vtank as your 3rd pair

Sign McCabe as your 7th veteran D if he comes cheap else carry Vtank/Kundratek.

Staal Pitkanen
Sauer McDonagh
MDZ Tank/McCabe/Teck

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:32 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Given Edmonton's situation I could only see them doing a quantity for quality deal if they were trading for a top 4 d-man. They've got too many bottom 6 forwards and 3rd pairing d-men in their system.
Getting a top 4 d-man in a quantity for quality deal is going to be difficult unless that dman has a bad contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
With the emergence of Sauer and McDonagh as the new shutdown pair and Kundratek and Vtank playing as well as they are down in Hartford, I could actually see them moving Girardi this offseason for a great return and he should garner a great return, not Smid and a 3rd, that's trash for what DG brings.

Down in Hartford we have 3 capable defenders in Teck, Vtank and MDZ all ready to make the step next year. That's not even considering if McCabe resigns of if we go after a UFA like Pitkanen.

I say trade Girardi at the draft for a great return.

Sign Pitkanen and pair him with Staal on your top line. Pitkanen's cap hit might be 1-1.5 more than Girardi so we're not looking at a huge cap hit more but Pitkanen is a better skating and has a much better offensive game.

Play Sauer and McDonagh as your shutdown pair.

Play MDZ with Kundratek/Vtank as your 3rd pair

Sign McCabe as your 7th veteran D if he comes cheap else carry Vtank/Kundratek.

Staal Pitkanen
Sauer McDonagh
MDZ Tank/McCabe/Teck
Dealing Girardi this offseason would be a big mistake IMO.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:57 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The Rangers have a TON of bottom-6 forwards and a TON of defensemen in their system.

Staal, Girardi, Sauer, McDonagh

MDZ, Kundratek, Valentenko, McIlrath, Pashnin

Not including Gilroy and Eminger who are 27

Thats 4 1st round picks, a top-pairing undrafted defenseman(Girardi) and an already top-4 former 2nd rounder in Sauer.

Not even talking about Kundratek who as a rookie in the AHL has been superb and Pashnin who was the 1st overall pick in the KHL draft taken in the 7th round by the Rangers.
Not even counting others who could make it as a 6th or a 7th...
All of this is why I've been saying move Girardi, but not coke for pepsi...
Bundle him with somebody and get a real piece to address our lack of scoring Fs.

This could be Girardi and a lot of other assets to Avs for Stastny...
Could be a lot of possibilities...

Oilers looking for Gs, Ds as well as Fs.
What about D Girardi
G Chad Johnson
+ two 2s for Oilers 1st this year, 2nd in 2012?

Something like that...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Miller Time NYR
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Not even counting others who could make it as a 6th or a 7th...
All of this is why I've been saying move Girardi, but not coke for pepsi...
Bundle him with somebody and get a real piece to address our lack of scoring Fs.

This could be Girardi and a lot of other assets to Avs for Stastny...
Could be a lot of possibilities...

Oilers looking for Gs, Ds as well as Fs.
What about D Girardi
G Chad Johnson
+ two 2s for Oilers 1st this year, 2nd in 2012?

Something like that...
We have scoring problems so the solution is to open up a defensive problem, i dont doubt mcdonagh can be a top pairing guy in the future but right now moving girardi and putting that load onto mcdonagh would be extremly foolish especially in a trade for a 1st round pick. not to mention girardi and two seconds in a rather weak draft are now where near worth a first/second overall pick.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:17 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
We have scoring problems so the solution is to open up a defensive problem, i dont doubt mcdonagh can be a top pairing guy in the future but right now moving girardi and putting that load onto mcdonagh would be extremly foolish especially in a trade for a 1st round pick. not to mention girardi and two seconds in a rather weak draft are now where near worth a first/second overall pick.
I'm open to an alternate return, but
1) even with a weak draft, Edmonton #1 will be picking so high it should not be something to sneeze at. Could put in striking position of even higher pick...
Not saying this is definitely the way to go, just saying this is an option...
2) we are not opening up a D problem.
I advocated rolling the dice early in the season with all kinds of proposals that moved Girardi + x for a scorer. I was roundly criticized that:
'we can't play the kids, they won't last a whole season'
and words to that effect.

I said, let's play Sauer, McDonagh and not be too quick to get rid of Gilroy.
I was proven right.

I got nothing against Girardi.
We're not trading Staal
Have to give to get.

If we add the right combo of pieces we can accept surrendering w/Girardi, we can get the premium upgrade at F we desperately need.

Is there some other deal in lieu of Oiler's first, etc. that is better for both clubs?

Old
03-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Pointteen

So I guess the Rangers have a lot of potential defensemen coming up the system?
Would there be interest in a trade based around Tyler Pitlick or Curtis Hamilton for Girardi?
Both would help the offensive hole you guys speak of. Maybe even Linus Omark? He would be more immediate help.

Pointteen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
As of right now, Girardi is a guy with no way of being dealt, likely. Especially the way Slats has been lately with our core players.

Now, in 2-3 years? If McIlrath, Kundratek, Sauer all pan out? He could probly be dealt then.

03-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointteen View Post
So I guess the Rangers have a lot of potential defensemen coming up the system?
Would there be interest in a trade based around Tyler Pitlick or Curtis Hamilton for Girardi?
Both would help the offensive hole you guys speak of. Maybe even Linus Omark? He would be more immediate help.
I really like both Pitlick and Hamilton, but it would likely be both of them and a pick for him. That's a deal I would consider.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I really like both Pitlick and Hamilton, but it would likely be both of them and a pick for him. That's a deal I would consider.
I was afraid you would say that.
What about one of them and Linus Omark? I don't want to see either of those 3 go anywhere but keeping one of Pitlick and Hamilton and getting a solid defenseman to take the load of off Gilbert and Whitney might be worth it.
Besides, if Edmonton did this then they could draft one of Couturier or RNH and make out alright.

Pointteen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:02 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
As of right now, Girardi is a guy with no way of being dealt, likely. Especially the way Slats has been lately with our core players.

Now, in 2-3 years? If McIlrath, Kundratek, Sauer all pan out? He could probly be dealt then.
^ Pretty much this.

When NYR resigned DG this past summer and the details were relesed it seemed as if NYR was keeping him in the fold to play with Staal the next few years and provide a cusion for McD, Sauer, Vtank, Pashnin and such to grow, as well as provide time to see if we hit a home run with McIlrath. With the development curve of some of these guys it "could" make DG expendible in 2-3 years for a "final piece" upgrade in the forward dept.

I like Danny alot and could see him being a career Ranger if he becomes a "NYR guy" kind of like Danyko was a NJ guy or Foote has been mostly a Avs guy. A stable, staple on D for us with a low career cap hit based on mutual respect/needs to further team cometitiveness on a year in, year out basis.

1) DG blocks 2x, almost 3x as many shots as Staal. Staal plays the man while DG plays the puck.
2) DG picks up his offence when Staal is slumping. Niether are PMD's but both seem to pick up each others slack when other teams key on one or the other.
3) DG's foot speed & smarts are easily top 4 worthy and he is entering his prime.
4) We need vet Dmen, why over pay for a mercinary replacement when we have a guy who playes as well as DG, has a VERY resonable cap hit/length, and is probably very thankful to the organization who gave him a chance as an undrafted player and that team has given him every chance to succeed without hassle or complaint.

So...

You want him right now? It will be an overpayment. And no, some prospect, that no-one outside your fan base has heard of will land him in a 1 for 1 deal. I Dont care how much "potential" he has.

Will you wait a few years to get him for a little less? Thats if he is even available. I'd estimate he has a better then 60% chance of being a Ranger by the end of his current deal. I'd even bet that he doesnt even reach UFA unless 2 of our young D guys really amp it up before then, 1 to replace him and 1 that adds to our depth, as idealy we would want DG + 1 of our young Dmen to work out and make the next step as a team.

So really, he isnt available unless your willing to send us a top6 forward who at the least is a 1st line tweener. His value to NYR runs deeper then 4 or 5 stats on the stat line. Its those stats + the dozen other factors that make him worth so much to NYR.

Last edited by x BEUKEBOOM x: 03-10-2011 at 12:14 PM.
x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:22 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Getting a top 4 d-man in a quantity for quality deal is going to be difficult unless that dman has a bad contract.

Dealing Girardi this offseason would be a big mistake IMO.
Girardi and a #2 pick for Hemsky and conditional#2 pick which becomes their first if Hemsky doesn't resign.

You wouldn't do that? Knowing the team is stocked with defensive prospects, one has a year of NHL experience under his belt.

Two veteran NHL defenders only want to play for us in Eminger and McCabe and both could be the #7 guy.

Hemsky adds top3 skill to our lineup which lacks it while also adding a play-making winger who can play with Gaborik.

If Edmonton tanks again we can choose not to resign Hemsky and get a top5 pick and/or if Hemsky plays poorly.

IMO considering Girardi's play and his contract as well as Hemsky's health and contract the picks and value is completely appropriate.

Old
03-10-2011, 01:34 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Girardi and a #2 pick for Hemsky and conditional#2 pick which becomes their first if Hemsky doesn't resign.

You wouldn't do that? Knowing the team is stocked with defensive prospects, one has a year of NHL experience under his belt.

Two veteran NHL defenders only want to play for us in Eminger and McCabe and both could be the #7 guy.

Hemsky adds top3 skill to our lineup which lacks it while also adding a play-making winger who can play with Gaborik.

If Edmonton tanks again we can choose not to resign Hemsky and get a top5 pick and/or if Hemsky plays poorly.

IMO considering Girardi's play and his contract as well as Hemsky's health and contract the picks and value is completely appropriate.
Relying on Sauer and McDonagh too soon could ruin them even if you bring in a top pairing guy to play with Staal (you suggested Pitkanen). Giradi plays tough mins and you to ease Sauer and McDonagh into those sorts of minutes.

No way Oilers risk dealing Hemsky + potential top 5 pick for Girardi + mid 2nd.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Afterglow

Send a message via MSN to Afterglow
To NYR: Petry + Omark + 4th
To EDM: Girardi + 2nd

Afterglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
What about one of them and Linus Omark? I don't want to see either of those 3 go anywhere but keeping one of Pitlick and Hamilton and getting a solid defenseman to take the load of off Gilbert and Whitney might be worth it.
Besides, if Edmonton did this then they could draft one of Couturier or RNH and make out alright.
No real interest in Omark, really. We already have a very similar player in MZA.

If anything from the Oilers, I would want to start with Pitlick and Hamilton. And a mid round pick or so. I think that's pretty fair. Essentially 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks or so for Girardi. I think Girardi is worth a first and a good prospect, which is essentially what we'd be getting there (2 good prospects and a mid round pick).

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterglow View Post

I wouldn't do Girardi for Petry, Omark and a 4th, so why would the Rags throw in a 2nd? Omark has nice moves, but he is an absolute ghost out there. We have a better equivalent of him now in MZA. Omark has zero value.

Why is Edmonton even asking for Girardi? You are still 3-4 years off even attemping to compete and 2 years off making the playoffs. Why not build your prospects and continue tanking to get decent picks. Girardi does nothing to help your case.

Hottubber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
I wouldn't do Girardi for Petry, Omark and a 4th, so why would the Rags throw in a 2nd? Omark has nice moves, but he is an absolute ghost out there. We have a better equivalent of him now in MZA. Omark has zero value.

Why is Edmonton even asking for Girardi? You are still 3-4 years off even attemping to compete and 2 years off making the playoffs. Why not build your prospects and continue tanking to get decent picks. Girardi does nothing to help your case.
Well said

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Girardi could be moved, but it's more likely he's dealt next summer in a package to upgrade a position of weakness on the NHL roster. I don't think the management is foolish enough to deal Girardi based on half a season of Sauer and McDonagh playing excellent hockey.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Wow... Smid and a 3rd? Apparently OP doesn't have a clue of Girardi's value to NYR.
yea was thinking the same thing. Smid seriously

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 07:03 PM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterglow View Post
Petry would probably slot in at or around 11th on the Rangers D depth chart. Girardi is 2nd.

Omark is nice, but I feel like we've got our small European wing already.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 07:04 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Relying on Sauer and McDonagh too soon could ruin them even if you bring in a top pairing guy to play with Staal (you suggested Pitkanen). Giradi plays tough mins and you to ease Sauer and McDonagh into those sorts of minutes.

No way Oilers risk dealing Hemsky + potential top 5 pick for Girardi + mid 2nd.
If Tambellini ends up in the top5 again, he should be fired, so I'd hope they'd do it with the moxie and plan that they wouldn't. From the Rangers POV they'd do it with the hope that they would falter and would. If Hemsky pans out they keep the 2nd rounder and really it's just a win/win. If he seeks free agency and Edmonton plays well the Rangers end up with a #10 pick, it's still a decent deal, similar to the one they did with Tyutin and Zherdev except the picks are added so the Rangers don't get burned like they did with Zherdev.

Similar to the Tyutin and Zherdev deal, a young Sauer and McDonagh would make Girardi expendable for a talented forward just like a young Staal and Girardi made Tyutin expendable.

The team is deepest in talent on the blueline, it needs talent on offense, it doesn't score enough.

IMO shopping Girardi for a high return would be a good idea while the team is stocked with a logjam of defensive options and I wouldn't be surprised if he was moved. I've been a huge advocate for Girardi over the years, even when others have called him terrible, I've stood up for him as one of the best defenders on this team. There may not be a time when the return will be as hi as it is now for him.

Sauer has been maturing in Hartford for a very long time. We was drafted the same year Staal was. His talent was that of a 1st rounder that year. Injuries kept him out of the 1st round and have prevented him from making it to the NHL sooner.

McDonagh has been outstanding since stepping into the NHL. For the 3 years he spent in Wisconsin his coach was a previous NHL Defenseman who's had a serious knack for turning out some top notch defenders. Collegiate programs practice significantly more often than Jr. hockey programs so he received a lot of coaching from him. Add that to his physical maturity and his ability to skate and it's no wonder that he's been able to step right in and play.

At the end of camp Pavel Valentanko, who's played 1.5 seasons in the AHL and time in the KHL was neck and neck with McDonagh in camp. He's been basically been the Dan Girardi of Hartford all season. He's a shot blocking, defensive, rugged machine with an edge and a cannon. Though like Girardi, he's slow of foot. If he was neck and neck with McDonagh at camp and he's been playing that hard in CT and leads all defenseman down there in +/-. There's no reason why he couldn't make the team next year.

Then there's Kundratek. Everything everyone has said all season long up until the point when McDonagh was called up that Kundratek was hands down the best all round defender in Hartford. Physical maturity seems to be the only reason that held him back.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Ghostbuster

Pass, Girardi actually has value now and not to the extent I would pay.

Outside of Redden most Ranger fans over-rate their players and place high bounties on them.

Not worth it.

I'd offer Chorney+2nd at most. That's just how I feel about Girardi.

Ghostbuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:31 PM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Pass, Girardi actually has value now and not to the extent I would pay.

Outside of Redden most Ranger fans over-rate their players and place high bounties on them.

Not worth it.

I'd offer Chorney+2nd at most. That's just how I feel about Girardi.
That's kind of how I feel about most anything the Oilers have anyway.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:50 AM
bernmeister

In an earlier thread, BPD made a proposal which he admitted:
The trade needs tweaking, but this is the heart of it:

Rangers get Magnus Paajarvi
Oilers get Brandon Dubinsky

Instead of Dubi, precious to our F situation, can we offer Girardi + X for MP?

NYR + EO fans, please advise what you think is X, and is it fair value or an adequate level of overpayment to make deal happen?

Don't believe a massive overpayment is needed.
But slight extra compensation may be ok, depending upon what, to make deal happen..

Old
03-11-2011, 11:21 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
I think we should wait on selling the farm. Girardi is great, but it will cost too much to get him, he's that important to the Rangers. I say draft Larsson, and be patient with our young guys. If we draft Larsson, our defense for next year is much better than this year.

Whitney-Gilbert
Larsson-Peckham
Smid-Petry
Foster

Of course, Larsson becomes a top pair guy probably part way through next year, and we are set for awhile. Especially if we can manage to move Gilbert when Marincin is ready to step up in 2 or 3 years.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote