HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are everyone's thoughts on the Chara/Pacioretty hit?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-11-2011, 03:04 PM
  #26
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,155
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I side with Chara and league on the hit. I feel really bad for Pacioretty, but unfortunately as in all pro sports there is a risk that you are going to get hurt when you lace up the skates or cleats or whatever. I think the NHL has taken alot of positive steps in the last 5 years to cut down on major injuries from reckless plays/players and there is still alot work to do. With that said, hockey is a collision sport and hits are commonly a part of every play. I do not think Chara had intent to injure him on the play. If you watch the hit, everything develops so fast. They are both going for the puck along boards and less than 2 seconds later Pacioretty gets run in the turnbuckle.

I do not think you can expect a player to be conscious of every little detail on the ice 100% of the time. I don't think Chara had the intent to deliberately run him into that part of the boards. Again I feel really bad for Pacioretty, and I can understand his and the Habs fans anger, but from an outsider I do not think Chara was did anything wrong. I think the leagues ruling was the right one. Chara is payed to play that way, and he plays hard and he plays clean. If did not play that way, he would not be close to the player he is.

I hope Pacioretty makes a full recovery and can resume playing hockey and have a long career.
This. 100% agree

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 03:05 PM
  #27
Robert604strom
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 614
vCash: 500
It was a hockey play,Chara plays solid hockey. The injury is harsh but there was no suspension so it should be left at that. However it's hard not to say Chara didn't want alittle contact considering the relationship he has with max.

Robert604strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 04:34 PM
  #28
AnAfricanMidget
Registered User
 
AnAfricanMidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Igloo
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
i can see 2 for the late hit... but anywhere else on the ice and that hit goes uncalled at least 20 times a night... you see it after
after nearly every outlet pass and dump in... it was a freak accident plain and simple... maybe they need to pad the turnbuckle like they do the goalpost in football, but any more of a reaction than that from this situation is completely kneejerk and will be negative for our game
It was an innocent hit at the wrong place. I believe Chara should have realised where he was, and not angle pacioretty because well....the turnbuckle is close.

A 2 game suspension is what should have happened, just to show that the NHL cares about the health of its players, and to avoid the **** storm that has ensued.

AnAfricanMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 04:58 PM
  #29
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOPula View Post
It was an innocent hit at the wrong place. I believe Chara should have realised where he was, and not angle pacioretty because well....the turnbuckle is close.

A 2 game suspension is what should have happened, just to show that the NHL cares about the health of its players, and to avoid the **** storm that has ensued.
Yup, note to every player in the league. If you are playing against MTL and one of their players (god forbid he be from Quebec) gets a paper cut you might get suspended.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 06:31 PM
  #30
AnAfricanMidget
Registered User
 
AnAfricanMidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Igloo
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Yup, note to every player in the league. If you are playing against MTL and one of their players (god forbid he be from Quebec) gets a paper cut you might get suspended.
Thank god it Pacioretty is not from Quebec. Can you imagine?

AnAfricanMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:59 PM
  #31
Backlund
Registered User
 
Backlund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,778
vCash: 50
I don't think Chara did it intentionally, because when I saw it he was looking the other way. Sadly Pacioretty got injured, I think people are just trying to make it seem like Chara wanted this to happen.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:34 PM
  #32
CoRD
Shots Fired
 
CoRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the studio
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,629
vCash: 50
It would be like if Keslar injured Giordano. We would be freaking out right now. I understand their anger.

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:47 PM
  #33
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
It would be like if Keslar injured Giordano. We would be freaking out right now. I understand their anger.
on a hit like that I wouldn't blame Kesler, its a fluke accident and these morons in quebec need to realize that... i get the uproar over a cooke or downie type headshot, but this was a hockey play that happens multiple times a game... giguere suffered an eye injury from someone spraying snow when they stopped, if that chunk was bigger he could have lost an eye, should they start suspending people and start a province wide outtrage that this should be stopped? people have their panties in a twist over the injury and not the play

also as a side note i think this talk of concussions becoming more common place is mostly myth... the difference is they know more about the brain now and realize things they didn't in the past

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:20 PM
  #34
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,004
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
also as a side note i think this talk of concussions becoming more common place is mostly myth... the difference is they know more about the brain now and realize things they didn't in the past
You are bang on there! I don`t think its so much that the game has changed and the players are bigger necessarily, because the game overall is much cleaner than it used to be. The difference is medically we are much more advanced and we know the long term affects that serious mulitple concussions can cause. I think the rule the NHL implemented on headshots this past season is working, and over time if enough players can adapt to the rule then possibly we will see the amount of reported concussions fall even lower.

On another side note, I think the league should look at implementing something like an automatic icing call. When there are 2 players going for the puck behind the net and one is going for the touch call, that can be a really dangerous play. That play can result in players going head first in the boards or get something like a high ankle sprain as an injury. I hope that is one issue the GM`s decide to look at.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:24 AM
  #35
Xelstyle
Registered User
 
Xelstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chair and a Desk
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
You are bang on there! I don`t think its so much that the game has changed and the players are bigger necessarily, because the game overall is much cleaner than it used to be. The difference is medically we are much more advanced and we know the long term affects that serious mulitple concussions can cause. I think the rule the NHL implemented on headshots this past season is working, and over time if enough players can adapt to the rule then possibly we will see the amount of reported concussions fall even lower.

On another side note, I think the league should look at implementing something like an automatic icing call. When there are 2 players going for the puck behind the net and one is going for the touch call, that can be a really dangerous play. That play can result in players going head first in the boards or get something like a high ankle sprain as an injury. I hope that is one issue the GM`s decide to look at.
I'm not 100% of the exact details, but Burke suggested a type of "bear-hugging" technique for players when racing for the icing call and going into the boards. Anything else would be penalized or something to that line. If somebody else has a better recollection of it, help me out here.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:56 AM
  #36
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
You are bang on there! I don`t think its so much that the game has changed and the players are bigger necessarily, because the game overall is much cleaner than it used to be. The difference is medically we are much more advanced and we know the long term affects that serious mulitple concussions can cause. I think the rule the NHL implemented on headshots this past season is working, and over time if enough players can adapt to the rule then possibly we will see the amount of reported concussions fall even lower.

On another side note, I think the league should look at implementing something like an automatic icing call. When there are 2 players going for the puck behind the net and one is going for the touch call, that can be a really dangerous play. That play can result in players going head first in the boards or get something like a high ankle sprain as an injury. I hope that is one issue the GM`s decide to look at.
i think other than advances in brain research that there are a couple other facotrs besodes the size of the players... 1) being hard shoulder pads... i dont care who you are a leather shoulder pads won't hurt you as much as a plastic one... 2) no clutching and grabbing... i think taking that out of the game has had a negative impact on teh health of the players... everyone is going in with more speed than ever before and no one can lay a hand on them to slow them down

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:08 AM
  #37
DouglasQuaid
Blabbed about Mars
 
DouglasQuaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
It would be like if Keslar injured Giordano. We would be freaking out right now. I understand their anger.
I could see fans being upset, but I don't think the City of Calgary would need to beg its citizens to stop calling 9-1-1 over it.

DouglasQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:45 PM
  #38
jokerboysmith
Registered User
 
jokerboysmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Planet Nebula
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
I agree with the NHL's descision.
The shinanigans with the 911 calls and police investigation are obserd. What a way to spend canadian tax dollars.

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:49 AM
  #39
bigchief12
Registered User
 
bigchief12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerboysmith View Post
I agree with the NHL's descision.
The shinanigans with the 911 calls and police investigation are obserd. What a way to spend canadian tax dollars.
I don't agree with the NHL's decision. The shenanigans with the 911 calls and the police investigation are absurd though. Tax dollars from Canadians should be spent more wisely.

They should have given at least a token suspension of a game or two.

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:46 PM
  #40
Xelstyle
Registered User
 
Xelstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chair and a Desk
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchief12 View Post
They should have given at least a token suspension of a game or two.
Here's what I'd like to debate though:
Even though I'm also a proponent for the idea that Chara should have been suspended for (what I think) was a dangerous play due to some degree of recklessness, would it be acceptable for the league to be giving out the "token suspension" only to mitigate the alienation of Habs fans and others, even for a bit?

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 02:40 AM
  #41
bigchief12
Registered User
 
bigchief12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Here's what I'd like to debate though:
Even though I'm also a proponent for the idea that Chara should have been suspended for (what I think) was a dangerous play due to some degree of recklessness, would it be acceptable for the league to be giving out the "token suspension" only to mitigate the alienation of Habs fans and others, even for a bit?
No, nothing to do with the Habs fans or any others at all. The suspension would serve as a message to the teams that says "this result is not OK".

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:39 AM
  #42
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchief12 View Post
No, nothing to do with the Habs fans or any others at all. The suspension would serve as a message to the teams that says "this result is not OK".
Now that I've had more time to think about it I completly agree. It was Chara's interview in practice the next day that baffled me. How could he not know who was on the ice or where they were when he hit them. ******** it was a reckless play and he deserved a couple.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.