HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chara hit to be investigated by police

Old
03-10-2011, 09:02 AM
rafal majka

vCash: 500
Chara hit to be investigated by police

Pacioretty on-ice hit to be investigated by police

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...stigation.html

rafal majka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:03 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 375
I dont know what to think of this...

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:06 AM
katatoniak

If Chara have trouble sleeping at night with this ... I'm all for it

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:06 AM
coolasprICE

news to me ....
Quote:
The NHL's decision Wednesday to not give further sactions outraged Montreal hockey fans who have organized a series of protests including outside the Bell Centre at the next home game on March 14.

Another protest will take place the same day outside the NHL office in downtown Montreal the same day.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Same here, I mean I want them to get involved to investigate and hand information to the NHL, we get a completely unbiased opinion (to some degree) and maybe NHL can get its head out of it's ass for the future... but I don't want the cops to take matters into their own hands.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Well I think that if I were to do the same thing in a beer league there'd be pretty strong chances that I'd end up in court.

The NHL isn't above the law, even if they wanna stick their heads in the sand.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Lucius

Weirdly, Chara has the NHL to thank if he lands in serious legal trouble.

This was a seriously horrible hit, but I do not believe it to be criminal. That should be confined to fan abuse, stick swinging, and assaults (Bertuzzi).

However, had the NHL not abdicated all responsibility and made a horrible mess worse by taking no action, I doubt the police would feel the need to satiate the public outcry.

People accept that organizations can police themselves until they demonstrate that they cannot. The NHL is at the point where it's shown itself incapable of taking care of it's own business. It was only a matter of time before law enforcement took it into its own hands.

Which is a shame, the last thing we want is police grabbing guys after each fight, but if the NHL doesn't get it's head of the sand, I cannot see how we don't eventually get there.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Gary320

The thing is, I think this whole investigation is more important for the NHL to get it's head out of the ass than rethinking if there should have been suspension of Chara. It's for the future, because nothing can change what was done.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:17 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Well I think that if I were to do the same thing in a beer league there'd be pretty strong chances that I'd end up in court.

The NHL isn't above the law, even if they wanna stick their heads in the sand.
Well that is sort of what my problem is....
I don't beleive the law should dictate what happens on the ice...
HOWEVER something needs to be done about the NHL before someone gets kill because of someones stupidity

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post

This was a seriously horrible hit, but I do not believe it to be criminal. That should be confined to fan abuse, stick swinging, and assaults (Bertuzzi).

However, had the NHL not abdicated all responsibility and made a horrible mess worse by taking no action, I doubt the police would feel the need to satiate the public outcry.

People accept that organizations can police themselves until they demonstrate that they cannot. The NHL is at the point where it's shown itself incapable of taking care of it's own business. It was only a matter of time before law enforcement took it into its own hands.

Which is a shame, the last thing we want is police grabbing guys after each fight, but if the NHL doesn't get it's head of the sand, I cannot see how we don't eventually get there.
You pretty much expressed all relevant thoughts about the whole situation. Good post.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:21 AM
rafal majka

Quote:

I doubt that charges will be laid but the bad publicity might pressure the NHL into more severe penalties for head shots, etc. Doubtful, but one can hope.

rafal majka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:25 AM
LeMAD

This means nothing people.

Was the hit intentional? Probably.
Can you prove it in court? No.

Chara won't face justice.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CBA

The NHL should have dealt with this better and they **** up. But the police getting involved is just noise to keep people happy. Pacioretty is not going to press charges, and the police are not going to lay any charges when all is said and done.

CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
StanAjax

Quote:

Wery well said.

Now, we've got to get rid of Bettman and his stupid team. They're killing the NHL.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:26 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Nothing will come of it, but it means bad PR for the NHL, which is a win for anyone who wants them to get their **** together.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:27 AM
ILuvLucic*

Shall we start prosecuting every fight, injury resulting check/board and slash too?

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Darth Joker

Reposting this here:

I don't like seeing the law get involved in it, because it opens up such a huge pandora's box.

BUT the NHL is the one that opened up that pandora's box by not suspending Chara for even one game.

That is what is ultimately prompted so many Quebecors to call for a criminal investigation.

That is likely a key factor in this upcoming criminal probe.

The NHL is 100% to blame for this ****storm that they're now in. They made the worst supplementary discipline ruling possible on the Chara hit, and now they're going to pay for it.

I seriously think that they're in for a nightmare that will ultimately dwarf even the Bertuzzi/Moore incident.

At least the NHL handed out a serious suspension for that incident, and hence could legitimately claim that they were taking serious actions of their own. They failed to hand out anything here. I'm telling you right now, that is going to look 100% outrageous to Joe and Jane Average Canadian. When they see CBC/CTV/TSN video replays of Chara's hit on MaxPac, they're going to think and say "What the hell is wrong with the NHL for them to do absolutely nothing after this hit?!"

Don't let all the HFBoarders foolishly saying "The NHL made the right call" or "clean hit" fool you. They're only saying that because they're Habs Haters and/or they've grown accustomed to a league where head-hunting is the norm and doesn't result in suspensions. Joe and Jane Average Canadian are not accustomed to that, and they don't particularly care about the Habs one way or the other, and so they're going to think that it's simply unacceptable. Bettman, Campbell, and Murphy are going to look like incompetent irresponsible goofs to Joe and Jane Average Canadian by the time that this is done.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

This is bad publicity for the league. Unfortunately it's one of the only ways if not the most efficient way of getting things moving.

Get people talking about it, get it on the news and who knows, maybe they'll talk about it on "The View".

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post

Shall we start prosecuting every fight, injury resulting check/board and slash too?
Anything that is a non consensual (ie not fights) attempt at injuring someone and is not policed by the league should be looked at.

The problem here is the unwillingness of the league to police itself.

They are looking at this play and thinking it's fine. They're either not applying the rule book to Chara because he's a star, or they're lacking a rule for this. Either way, there's something that's not right with Chara getting off free of any blame on this.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
This means nothing people.

Was the hit intentional? Probably.
Can you prove it in court? No.

Chara won't face justice.
Actually, yes. With a good prosecutor. There is precedence involving the accused and the victim, motive, a star witness/victim that says he felt Chara's hand hold his head and slam it into the turnbuckle, dozens of replay angles, and most of all, Chara at the witness stand having to answer precise questions in which he can contradict himself.

If Pac can't go on with his pro career, you can be sure Chara will go to civil court, and there will be a way to prove Chara's intent.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Anything that is a non consensual (ie not fights) attempt at injuring someone and is not policed by the league should be looked at.

They are looking at this play and thinking it's fine. They're either not applying the rule book to Chara because he's a star, or they're lacking a rule for this. Either way, there's something that's not right with Chara getting off free of any blame on this.
Exactly.

Also, it's not about forcing Chara into a courtroom and possibly getting convicted of a criminal offense (I'd be completely floored if that happened), but it's rather about keeping as much heat as possible on the NHL.

The NHL is getting heat from every side right now - the legal system, politicians, corporate sponsors, the media.

Keep the heat on, and keep the pressure on, and maybe something good comes of it. It's our only hope, really.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:42 AM
HabbyGilmore
Best man for the job

Send a message via MSN to HabbyGilmore
Im as ticked off about the hit as anyone.. yeah Im a Habs fan like anyone else in the forum and we seem to be the ones most disgusted by the hit.. and yeah I want Charas head.. I don't care if anyone thinks Im being silly.. we've debated the hit up and down and Im not going to state my opinion on that anymore but getting the police involved in this is just stupid.. even I can admit that.

HabbyGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:43 AM
walsy37

Nothing will come out of it, although I would love if the police did bring charges and made his life uncomfortable for a little bit. There is no way prosecutors could get a conviction in this case - but that doesn't mean he should not squirm a little. Just being booked, fingerprinted, arrested, arraigned etc, is a very unnerving process and should serve as a warning to other players not to engage in this type of behavior.

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Prendan Brust

I think there won't be any prosecution, there's no case IMHO.

I think all this situation is getting out of hand. Yes, It was a terrible injury and a careless play by Chara. Yes, the NHL has done a piss poor job of handling that. Still, I think everybody needs to chill out and accept the NHL's decision. I'm no jurist but I don't believe a crime was commited tuesday night.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

100% agreed with you sir.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote