HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room III (all non-ATD topics here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2011, 03:46 AM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
thanks , what is the differance between sentences and phrases?
a phrase is basiclly part of a sentence

Your phrase:
"been a while since I passed a test"

Make it a complete sentence:
It has been a while since I passed a test.

Old
03-14-2011, 03:48 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
so you hockey maniacs , did you guys actually played organized hockey or what?
I played rep hockey growing up, and I've been coaching since 1999.

Old
03-14-2011, 03:51 AM
jkrx

Been involved with hockey since the mid-late 1950s.

Old
03-14-2011, 03:53 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Have never played organized hockey, cannot skate.

03-14-2011, 04:18 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Never stopped me

Old
03-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Velociraptor

Quote:
I played at a really high level in Midget when I was 17 in Nova Scotia, I was invited to training camp with the Rimouski Oceanic in the Q, but I broke my wrist, would not have made the team regardless.

I play with a recreational team in university, where a lot of guys have played at a competitive level at one point of their lives, a few former QMJHL players, Maritime Junior A players and guys who were pretty good in their day, basically anybody who wasn't good enough to make the actual team, or whoever didn't want hockey to interfere with academics. I'm extremely injury prone, I'm 6'1 and 180 pounds and I've already sustained two knee injuries this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Never stopped me

Old
03-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

Quote:
I played my way up through Cole Harbour minor hockey, sadly my career was overshadowed by Sidney Crosby until he started playing major midget in like grade 8 or something ridiculous.

Seriously though, I wasn't all that good (had a terrible skating stride). I played defense and was one of the biggest goons in the league most of my older years.

Once I get my career path in order I'd like to coach minor hockey.

Old
03-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Velociraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneberg View Post
I played my way up through Cole Harbour minor hockey, sadly my career was overshadowed by Sidney Crosby until he started playing major midget in like grade 8 or something ridiculous.

Seriously though, I wasn't all that good (had a terrible skating stride). I played defense and was one of the biggest goons in the league most of my older years.
That's unreal! Did you ever play on the same team as him? or against him?

Old
03-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
That's unreal! Did you ever play on the same team as him? or against him?
Nah he was always an age group higher (despite me being exactly 2 days older than him). I remember going to the rink to watch him on a weekly basis though. We were in timbits together though!

He was gone to prep school before high school, but we also went to the same junior high. In hindsight that was my best opportunity to befriend him.

Old
03-14-2011, 01:52 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
I've played 20 years or a little bit less , from A level to BB level.Never made it to AA , I'm not that great a skater , I'm a great stickhandler with a decent all-around shot and good vision but my skating always ruined it for me as far as playing at the highest level.Lateral movements are certainly not my force.

Old
03-14-2011, 01:56 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Same here. I'm actually fairly good at stick handling, shooting, and passing, but it doesn't matter if I fall on my face every time I try to turn on skates.

Edit: And it's definitely not hyberbole to say that I fell on my face every time I tried to turn. (And sometimes when I didn't).

Old
03-14-2011, 02:22 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Seeing as my skating is on the level of Hungarian league in the 90s - i.e. I have the turning radius of a Boeing 747 and stop by crashing into the boards - I have never played anything higher that street ball hockey. I'm surprised by how many of you did, though you're Canadians anyway...

Old
03-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Seeing as my skating is on the level of Hungarian league in the 90s - i.e. I have the turning radius of a Boeing 747 and stop by crashing into the boards - I have never played anything higher that street ball hockey. I'm surprised by how many of you did, though you're Canadians anyway...
I can only think of two of my male friends that never played hockey (this out of like 20-30 people), most of them had full minor hockey careers and some did some damage in junior. I guess what I'm saying is that almost every male around here plays growing up (at least in the municipality I live in).

I don't know what it's like elsewhere but there are at least 20 rinks within 30 minutes or less from where I'm at right now.

Whereas in other countries or areas this may be the case for soccer, football, etc...

Old
03-14-2011, 03:32 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

In Montreal when I was a kid there were a lot of people playing hockey , organized , on the street , anywhere.Right now they're still a lot of people but a lot less I'm pretty sure.I might be the only mid-20s guy still playing street hockey alone in the summer in front of my house

at least I'm in good shape , **** those cars they'll wait for my slapshot to be taken.

I would go as far as saying there's some people looking me the wrong way because I play hockey alone outside at my age , like what the **** is your problem I like hockey.

Old
03-14-2011, 03:56 PM
EagleBelfour

Although I havn't played hockey since the start of my trip, I've been playing goaltender for 19 years now. I'm pretty much like Reen, moved from B to BB pretty much my whole life. I miss the chance to play Junior AA here in Quebec when I was 20 (I think junior B for the rest of Canada). I'm not a money goaltender! .

On a little related note, my failure to play good in crunch time led that team to pick up a goaltender mid-season who play Midget AAA as a 16 or 17 years old named Jean-Francois Berube, who's now the #1 goaltender with 'le Junior de Montreal' and a 4th round pick with the Los Angeles Kings. If I had just been decent enough to stick around (I should of in all honesty, I really played bad when it was time to shine!) perhaps that guy would of never be where he is right now!

I think I'm a pretty good goaltender, very technical. I'm very good at blocking down low and very good mobility. My biggest drawback that never let me dream of having any sort of professional career is that I'm a notch under 5-foot-7. I think if I would of been 6-foot + tall I could of played some low key professional hockey somewhere, like 3rd-division somewhere in Europe (I'm the kind of guy that would leave everything behind to play in those league, that's just how much I love hockey!). However, even with Carey Price-esque attribute, I would of never-even sniff an NHL ice. I've played against some great AHL player like Denis Hamel and various European pros, and it makes you wonder just how good the Crosby's and Ovechkin's are (and the goaltenders stopping them!)

Old
03-14-2011, 04:02 PM
DoMakc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post

I think I'm a pretty good goaltender, very technical. I'm very good at blocking down low and very good mobility. My biggest drawback that never let me dream of having any sort of professional career is that I'm a notch under 5-foot-7. I think if I would of been 6-foot + tall I could of played some low key professional hockey somewhere, like 3rd-division somewhere in Europe (I'm the kind of guy that would leave everything behind to play in those league, that's just how much I love hockey!). However, even with Carey Price-esque attribute, I would of never-even sniff an NHL ice. I've played against some great AHL player like Denis Hamel and various European pros, and it makes you wonder just how good the Crosby's and Ovechkin's are (and the goaltenders stopping them!)
But you still drafted Worters

Old
03-14-2011, 04:09 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMakc View Post
But you still drafted Worters
That's just how good Worters was! If the guy would of been decent size, perhaps he would be remembered along the best!

Old
03-14-2011, 04:16 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

I was a Center , nothing I hate more than playing wings or goalie.Defense I like but I'm not really built for it.

Old
03-15-2011, 02:11 PM
markrander87

Played against the Cros up until Peewee, where he would play 2-3 years above his age group.

Old
03-15-2011, 07:41 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I realize that there's no right way to do a bio, but am I the only GM who gets confused and/or annoyed when I see a bio that doesn't list the player's name at or near the top?

Old
03-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Velociraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I realize that there's no right way to do a bio, but am I the only GM who gets confused and/or annoyed when I see a bio that doesn't list the player's name at or near the top?
You're not alone, Dreakmur's bios are very misleading

Old
03-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
You're not alone, Dreakmur's bios are very misleading
I used to erase every mention of the players name in the quotes - change them all to "him" or "he". I wanted people to read them and try to guess who it was

You guys want me to put the names at the top?

Old
03-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Played against the Cros up until Peewee, where he would play 2-3 years above his age group.
I played with Curtis McElhinney for years.

I had a nice tilt with Carlo Colaiacovo after I ran his brother, Paulo.

I've been lucky to coach much better players than I played with.... nothing like my old man though

Old
03-15-2011, 08:42 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I used to erase every mention of the players name in the quotes - change them all to "him" or "he". I wanted people to read them and try to guess who it was

You guys want me to put the names at the top?
I think the way you do it is interesting when you are first drafting a guy.

When you post to the bio thread or make the bio later, I'd rather have the guy's name on the top.

Old
03-15-2011, 09:10 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

I prefer the names at or near the top. And pictures! To see a big bio and no pic is just too much gray. It's nice to put a face with a name when reading about the player.

Closed Thread