HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room III (all non-ATD topics here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2011, 02:22 PM
jarek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
OK jarek, I'll count how many times that happens tonight...

...you'd think with a guy out there 27 minutes a night that's so easy to get around, there would be all kinds of high-percentage chances going against Boston... stats don't really support that though.
He makes up for it with his reach. That's the only thing that saves him.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
He makes up for it with his reach. That's the only thing that saves him.
So they're getting around him but not his reach? I think most people don't count it as "getting by him" if you don't get past the reach too.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:32 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
So they're getting around him but not his reach? I think most people don't count it as "getting by him" if you don't get past the reach too.
I do. He uses an illegal stick to begin with. Without his size, he'd be nothing. He'd be a career AHLer, at best.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:44 PM
hungryhungryhippy

.... but he has the size, so why would we even bother discussing a hypothetical situation where Zdeno Chara isn't 6'8"

Gretzky didn't deserve all those trophies, because without his on-ice vision, he would be a career AHLer....

Old
04-26-2011, 02:51 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhungryhippy View Post
.... but he has the size, so why would we even bother discussing a hypothetical situation where Zdeno Chara isn't 6'8"

Gretzky didn't deserve all those trophies, because without his on-ice vision, he would be a career AHLer....
Gretzky had much more than just vision. Chara is size and.. nothing.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
I do. He uses an illegal stick to begin with. Without his size, he'd be nothing. He'd be a career AHLer, at best.
You are discounting him because of a natural physical advantage? Why do you think all these guys are playing in the NHL in the first place and we aren't? What's next? Telling football players they can't be linemen because they weigh too much? Or maybe we shouldn't think so highly of Pavel Bure because he was "too naturally fast" and would be nothing without his speed.

The illegal stick thing is ridiculous. The rule shouldn't be based on length in the first place, it should be based on percentage of player's height.

Last time I checked, there are plenty of people in this world in the 6'7" - 6'9" range, only one of them is a top defensemen in the NHL.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:52 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Chara does have a history of being burned to the outside by faster skaters in the playoffs. Doesn't happen often, but it's always really visible when it does.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
overpass

Quote:
Gretzky had much more than just vision. Chara is size and.. nothing.
Chara is very mobile and agile for a man of his size. The larger someone is, the harder it is for them to accelerate and change direction quickly. His combination of size and decent mobility makes him extremely effective.

Also, I think you would admit that Chara is at the very least size and a shot. Unless you want to say that Chara only has a good shot because of his size, so it's not fair because his size makes him better at everything in hockey...

Old
04-26-2011, 03:20 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
You are discounting him because of a natural physical advantage? Why do you think all these guys are playing in the NHL in the first place and we aren't? What's next? Telling football players they can't be linemen because they weigh too much? Or maybe we shouldn't think so highly of Pavel Bure because he was "too naturally fast" and would be nothing without his speed.

The illegal stick thing is ridiculous. The rule shouldn't be based on length in the first place, it should be based on percentage of player's height.

Last time I checked, there are plenty of people in this world in the 6'7" - 6'9" range, only one of them is a top defensemen in the NHL.
Am I wrong? I'm going to say it now - I don't think that Chara has all that much natural ability. If he didn't have his size and strength, I don't think he'd be NHL worthy at all. That's my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
Chara is very mobile and agile for a man of his size. The larger someone is, the harder it is for them to accelerate and change direction quickly. His combination of size and decent mobility makes him extremely effective.

Also, I think you would admit that Chara is at the very least size and a shot. Unless you want to say that Chara only has a good shot because of his size, so it's not fair because his size makes him better at everything in hockey...
I can agree about the shot.

Old
04-26-2011, 03:22 PM
jarek

OMG.. Emery for the Masterson? REALLY? A whole 10 games played, and he's deserving of this award?

Old
04-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
OMG.. Emery for the Masterson? REALLY? A whole 10 games played, and he's deserving of this award?
Emery and Langkow have a combined 14 regular season games played. Laperriere played 82, but still Really?

Old
04-26-2011, 03:33 PM
jarek

If it wasn't for Hiller getting concussed, Emery wouldn't even have an NHL job!

Old
04-26-2011, 03:36 PM
seventieslord

Emery? Please tell me he's just Anaheim's candidate, and not actually a finalist....

Old
04-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Am I wrong? I'm going to say it now - I don't think that Chara has all that much natural ability. If he didn't have his size and strength, I don't think he'd be NHL worthy at all. That's my point.
All players have physical advantages and disadvantages, Chara is just an extreme example of one of them. He makes up for some of his average or maybe even below average skills with his size and strength. Do you think a guy like Scott Hartnell would be NHL worthy if he was Marty St. Louis' size? Probably not, but no one says anything about him. I do think Chara has some skills. I will admit that I don't get to see much of him, but he seems like a decent outlet passer, has a tremendous shot, and has to be pretty good at positional play when it comes to cutting off passing lanes/angles (even if his reach does give him an advantage).

If you want an example of an NHL player that is all size and strength and no skill, then look no further than John Scott of the Chicago Blackhawks.

Old
04-26-2011, 04:32 PM
vecens24

Yeah sorry, I just dont understand how someone can't see how athletic Chara is for his size. That's just incredible to me. He's got an insane amount of balance which no one has said yet, and that helps contribute to how good of a positional defender he is other than his reach.

BW, if you're gonna say he wouldn't e an nHLer if it wasn't for his size, couldn't you just as easily say hed be more athletic and coordinated if he wasn't 6'9 or whatever.

Old
04-26-2011, 04:57 PM
jarek

Quote:
Emery? Please tell me he's just Anaheim's candidate, and not actually a finalist....
He is a finalist, along with Laperriere and Langkow. Combined, they have not played 100 games this year.. and Laperriere has 82 of those!

Old
04-26-2011, 06:28 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
He is a finalist, along with Laperriere and Langkow. Combined, they have not played 100 games this year.. and Laperriere has 82 of those!
....dear god, why? For being exiled to Europe for having a bad attitude and then coming back? I must be missing something here.

Laperriere better win it.

Old
04-26-2011, 06:53 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
....dear god, why? For being exiled to Europe for having a bad attitude and then coming back? I must be missing something here.

Laperriere better win it.
I'm not a fan at all of Emery.. but to have come back to the NHL level at all after the hip surgery that he underwent is quite an accomplishment.

Apparently it was pretty extensive.

Found an article:

Quote:
As far as anyone can tell, no NHL player has come back from the type of hip surgery the 28-year-old underwent in April. Diagnosed with avascular necrosis -- essentially, the top of the ball in his right hip deteriorated to its core -- Emery underwent an elaborate operation that featured bone grafted from his lower leg being inserted in the ball of his hip. In the past, his condition would have necessitated a full hip replacement, but this very specialized procedure avoided that.

"Usually when you have this type of thing done, they just want you to walk again," Emery told ESPN.com Thursday during a break in his rehab in downtown Toronto.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...rre&id=5738598

Last edited by BraveCanadian: 04-26-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: article
Old
04-26-2011, 11:05 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Re: the play leading to the penalty shot - I had no idea Burrows was that fast. Wow. And what lazy defense by Keith

Old
04-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

I don't care what happens after this (maybe I do) but that was the best feeling ever seeing the Chicago Blackhawks hang their heads at Rogers Place the way they did. What an end to the game.

Old
04-27-2011, 12:14 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Woo!

They deserved it. Crawford was standing on his damn head.

Old
04-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Dreakmur

Hossa is pretty much useless...

Old
04-27-2011, 12:15 AM
hungryhungryhippy

Happiest day of my life. thank god. whew... I feel like I was just banging 7 gram rocks with Charlie Sheen

Old
04-27-2011, 12:21 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Keith looked like a pylon out there. He must have been playing hurt.

Luongo special with a bad rebound in crunch time but man did Burrows bail him out. Who was the poor blackhawk Burrows clowned at the end?

Old
04-27-2011, 12:24 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Keith looked like a pylon out there. He must have been playing hurt.

Luongo special with a bad rebound in crunch time but man did Burrows bail him out. Who was the poor blackhawk Burrows clowned at the end?
Campoli. Gonna be a long summer for him.

And Luongo was spectacular (as was Crawford obviously). I hope this team just got past their nemesis and are on their way to a long run.

Closed Thread