HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room III (all non-ATD topics here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Well, I'll go for a team I like over a team I loathe unless there's an obvious disparity...
Why do so many people hate the Canucks? sure we have a few idiotic fans who praise Cody Hodgson like he is the Next One, turn to suicide if we lose a playoff game or brag about having the Sedins, Luongo and Kesler (who are all pretty awesome) but they are such a fun team to watch when they're on their game. The Sedin's transition game is unreal, and Ryan Kesler is one of the most exciting players in the league. I get frustrated watching them sometimes, but I'll bleed blue, green and white, and whatever other colors they adopt in the future until I die. I just don't understand why there is so much hate towards a team who is pretty successful and plays very exciting hockey.

Old
05-23-2011, 05:05 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Team strength and playstyle are completely irrelevant in regards to likeability, at least for me. It comes down to players and fanbase. And the Canucks have a bunch of unlikable players (with the loathsome Kesler at head) and a portion of fanbase that does those irritating things you mentioned. Yeah the Nucks are a good team, but... They're like the Pens in the Jagr era, good exciting teams with annoying fanbase and very unlikeable stars.

Old
05-23-2011, 05:39 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Why do so many people hate the Canucks? sure we have a few idiotic fans who praise Cody Hodgson like he is the Next One, turn to suicide if we lose a playoff game or brag about having the Sedins, Luongo and Kesler (who are all pretty awesome) but they are such a fun team to watch when they're on their game. The Sedin's transition game is unreal, and Ryan Kesler is one of the most exciting players in the league. I get frustrated watching them sometimes, but I'll bleed blue, green and white, and whatever other colors they adopt in the future until I die. I just don't understand why there is so much hate towards a team who is pretty successful and plays very exciting hockey.
I know. It's like they are the first group to dive or embellish to draw calls. Every teams in the known hockey world does.

As for the fans? Everything we have said turned out to be true now hasn't it. We're annoying because of that? So be it.

Old
05-23-2011, 06:22 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Team strength and playstyle are completely irrelevant in regards to likeability, at least for me. It comes down to players and fanbase. And the Canucks have a bunch of unlikable players (with the loathsome Kesler at head) and a portion of fanbase that does those irritating things you mentioned. Yeah the Nucks are a good team, but... They're like the Pens in the Jagr era, good exciting teams with annoying fanbase and very unlikeable stars.
The more fans a team has, the more those idiotic things they do are brought to light. This is true of *every* team, in every sport, professional or non-professional, in the history of the universe. If the fanbase for your Canes grows enough, it'll happen to them too.

Old
05-23-2011, 06:34 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I remember that I thought the Canucks had a really intelligent fanbase back in the days of the old ESPN messageboards. Then I came to hfboards and met a different kind of Canucks fan....

Old
05-23-2011, 06:45 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I remember that I thought the Canucks had a really intelligent fanbase back in the days of the old ESPN messageboards. Then I came to hfboards and met a different kind of Canucks fan....
I hope thats not a shot at me and the others here at the ATD.

There are some knucklehead Canuck fans here though - like every other team..

Old
05-23-2011, 06:55 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Of course there are dumbass fans of every team, but for some reason hfboards has really attracted a really high number for some reason.

And no, I'm obviously not talking about ATDers.

Old
05-23-2011, 07:01 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Of course there are dumbass fans of every team, but for some reason hfboards has really attracted a really high number for some reason.

And no, I'm obviously not talking about ATDers.
Higher number of fans=higher % of dumb fans. Simple. There are TONS of Canuck fans at HF right now - and a lot of them aren't very bright.

Old
05-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

A lot of them were born and bred on CDC (Canucks Dot Com) where the boards there are an absolute gongshow. Anybody who is around the content of those boards is bound to be biased and belligerent when it comes to the Canucks. Some made the transfer to HF and became knowledgeable and less protective, and some stayed the same and polluted our general fanbase. I was never on CDC (Unfair to say I haven't had my fair share of bias) I am a fan until death, and the fans sometime piss me off, but for the most part are level-headed. But every team has fans who aren't exactly perfect, I won't name any teams who have more in particular, but there are MUCH worse than the Canucks.

Hey Mad_Arcand, if you hate Kesler in Vancouver, you'd love him in a Canes jersey

Old
05-24-2011, 02:00 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

@jarek: Yeah I'm sure the number of fans plays a role - Canucks have a LOT of fans here, thus one'll encounter a lot more jerks too.

@raptor: I'd like what he brings as a player for sure.

Old
05-24-2011, 05:37 PM
vancityluongo

The number of fans has to do with amount of success too. For example, I love the Flames board here. And I also find the main boards with the "Canucks fans" 'KESLER IS MVP NO WAIT HENRIK FOR GOVERNOR' talk to be horrible, so I can see completely why Mad and everyone else hates the fanbase in general. Problem is, half of these guys have joined this site in 2011...

Old
05-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Why do so many people hate the Canucks?
Right now, they are the biggest bunch of whiners and divers in the league. I beleive they are currently the best team in the league, but I dislike whiners and divers.... so I hate the Canucks.

Fake tough guys like Kesler, Burrows, and Lapierre make me puke. If you are not willing to fight, just shut up and play.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:02 AM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Right now, they are the biggest bunch of whiners and divers in the league. I beleive they are currently the best team in the league, but I dislike whiners and divers.... so I hate the Canucks.

Fake tough guys like Kesler, Burrows, and Lapierre make me puke. If you are not willing to fight, just shut up and play.
I don't get this first part. The second part, sure, players who chirp should have to deal with the opposition without turtling.

But this whole whining reputation is the fans, and somehow people think it's the team. Mike Gillis made it a team virtue to never whine about penalty calls on the ice...the ONE time he made a comment about officiating was after Game 6 Chicago. Take a look at some of the comments from players like Ryane Clowe and Dan Boyle in this series, especially after Games 1 and 2. If I wanted to watch that kind of a *****fest, I'd just hang out at my high school. Yet Van gets the whining reputation while Clowe is a good hard nosed Canadian boy? Is the whole diving persona because of the lack of Canadians? Did anyone see the "high stick" Bieksa had on Thornton and the ridiculous head snap? Cody Hodgson the next period got clipped without moving his head, yet Craig Simpson is going on and on about Kesler embellishing after getting a stick up in his stitches?

Maybe I'm just missing something, because I'm biased. Whatever, my team is going to the final. (and I'm missing every second of it. )

Old
05-25-2011, 01:20 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
But this whole whining reputation is the fans, and somehow people think it's the team. Mike Gillis made it a team virtue to never whine about penalty calls on the ice...the ONE time he made a comment about officiating was after Game 6 Chicago.
It's not based on reputation. It's based on what I see whe I watch them play. I watch the games and see the players whining all the time.

Ryan Kesler spends half the game skating around like this:

Sometimes it is because he scored, but most of the time it's because he is just whining to the officials.

Old
05-25-2011, 06:49 AM
raleh

I hate the Canucks. Always have. No good reason, but I lived for 7 years in Victoria and the fans there were such bandwagoners it was ridiculous. I remember in my first week there I heard two guys discussing a game. Guy #1 said something to like, "your Canucks had a rough game last night", and the response was, "They're not MY Canucks anymore". I'll never forget that haha. None of this is a good reason to hate the team. As I said, I don't have a good reason, I just enjoy not liking them as I'm sure (very sure) people love hating the Habs too.

Having said all of that, I think the Canucks would beat a combination of the Bruins and Tampa's best players in the final. I think the last time I saw a team that looked this much better than everyone else was Anaheim in '07. I'm already preparing to deactivate my facebook account for when the Canucks win the cup and I don't want to hear from the guys I went to school with out west! Let alone the **** I'll hear from GBC!

Old
05-25-2011, 07:40 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleh View Post
Having said all of that, I think the Canucks would beat a combination of the Bruins and Tampa's best players in the final. I think the last time I saw a team that looked this much better than everyone else was Anaheim in '07.
I actually think Boston matches up well with Vancouver.

Even if they don't I'll watch ever second.... just because it will be fun watching the Canucks scatter when things actually get rough.

Old
05-25-2011, 09:21 AM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I actually think Boston matches up well with Vancouver.

Even if they don't I'll watch ever second.... just because it will be fun watching the Canucks scatter when things actually get rough.
Boston matches up well against Vancouver? Is that a joke? Let's look at Boston's path to the Conf. Finals:

Montreal: Vancouver is better in every discernible way to Montreal, and the Habs took it to 7 (largely due to goaltending).

Philly: Philly is about on par offensively with Vancouver, but worse defensively and no goaltending, which ultimately sunk them.

Tampa: Goaltending another concern for Boston's opponent. St. Louis also doesn't seem to be too concerned about playing against Chara. If Stamkos could ever stop sucking, Boston would lose this series.

I can't see how Boston could beat Vancouver, they are outmatched in every way, offensively, defensively, and ESPECIALLY special teams.. Boston has the worst PP in the universe.

Vancouver's road to the finals has been against opponents who have significant advantages over Boston (Chicago has both better offense and defense, Nashville has better goaltending and shut down pair, and San Jose has better offense, theoretically).

I'd be more scared of Tampa if I was a Canucks fan.

Old
05-25-2011, 09:24 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Chara matchs up well against the Sedins.

After that, Vancouver has more depth, but they have more depth than Tampa Bay too.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 05-25-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old
05-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
Vancouver's road to the finals has been against opponents who have significant advantages over Boston (Chicago has both better offense and defense, Nashville has better goaltending and shut down pair, and San Jose has better offense, theoretically).
The fact that Vancouver has faced tougher competition is not a good thing. They had a tougher road, and they will be more worn down.

Vancouver relies on 2 things. First, they rely on the cycle, which is something Boston is well-equipped to deal with. Second, they rely on aggressive play in the neutral zone, which Boston's dump and chase works well against.

Old
05-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Nalyd Psycho

I was at the game where Boston beat Vancouver, they do match up well. Boston is like Nashville with better scorers.

05-25-2011, 07:36 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I was at the game where Boston beat Vancouver, they do match up well. Boston is like Nashville with better scorers.
You mean the game the Canucks were missing Bieksa, Edler, and Salo?

Boston is the bigger challenge. They are DEEP, not top heavy with talent but I like the scoring depth of their top 3 lines. Thomas can steal games as well obviously.

Old
05-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
You mean the game the Canucks were missing Bieksa, Edler, and Salo?

Boston is the bigger challenge. They are DEEP, not top heavy with talent but I like the scoring depth of their top 3 lines. Thomas can steal games as well obviously.
Yeah the injuries were worse then, but Boston really stiffled the team.

Old
05-26-2011, 01:27 AM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Yeah the injuries were worse then, but Boston really stiffled the team.
They are the tougher matchup, but I can't see their system holding up over a seven game series. I think Vancouver's offense at worst is equal to Tampa, and they just scored 5 on Thomas. Vancouver's D IMO is unquestionably better than TBay, so I don't see the Bruins ever scoring 4 on Lou either.

******, ****** breakdown and argument, I know. I basically agree that Boston is a better Nashville.

Old
05-26-2011, 10:52 AM
jarek

Boston is not a better Nashville.

NSH PP% - 14.6%
BOS PP% - 8.2%

NSH PK% - 70.0%
BOS PK% - 79.4%

Vancouver in comparison: 28.3% PP, 80.6% PK.. against much tougher teams.

If they are allowing goals on 20% of their PK's against Vancouver, unless they stay disciplined, they WILL lose, simply because their PP is so awful. Judging by these numbers: Boston 4th last in total PK time with 96:32, I doubt that will happen. I also seriously doubt that Boston is going to be able to exploit Vancouver on even strength as much as they have Montreal, Tampa, and a Pronger-less Philly. They simply have not encountered defensemen of even close to the calibre of what Vancouver has.

Also, Dreak, Vancouver tired? Vancouver just closed out a series in 5 games.. they'll have several days to rest, while Boston fights for it's life in game 7.

Also, Vancouver relied on the cycle against Nashville, who in my opinion have better defensive excellence from their defensemen than Boston, and look how that turned out. Nashville also had the better goalie.

In order for Boston to win against Vancouver, Tim Thomas will have to be far and away the best player for either team, and I don't see that happening. Boston is overmatched in every other way possible.

Last edited by jarek: 05-26-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old
05-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Nalyd Psycho

There is no doubt that any team who gives Vancouver regular power plays will have a very tough time beating them.

Closed Thread