HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room III (all non-ATD topics here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-03-2011, 08:56 PM
  #951
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
No it hasn't. There are different degrees of cheating, but they are all wrong.... which is why punishments are in place.


You believe that certain levels of wrong are acceptable. I try to hold myself to a higher stanard.
You missed the point on the rest, and I don't feel like responding to it, so I'll just address this:

I am not advocating cheating for the sake of cheating. I am advocating embellishment of infractions in order to draw attention to them, if that is what your opponent is doing, and getting away with it. The person committing the infraction in this case has already cheated, and if they aren't calling it, why shouldn't you "help" the referee see it?

jarek is offline  
Old
06-03-2011, 09:02 PM
  #952
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
I am not advocating cheating for the sake of cheating. I am advocating embellishment of infractions in order to draw attention to them
You can wrap it up however you want, it's still cheating, and it's still wrong.

Quote:
if that is what your opponent is doing, and getting away with it.
2 wrongs make a right now?

Quote:
why shouldn't you "help" the referee see it?
Because it's cheating....

Dreakmur is offline  
Old
06-03-2011, 09:12 PM
  #953
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
You can wrap it up however you want, it's still cheating, and it's still wrong.



2 wrongs make a right now?



Because it's cheating....
Fine. I'm a cheater. Go call the cops. Plzkthx.

jarek is offline  
Old
06-04-2011, 01:24 AM
  #954
vancityluongo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 11,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Why not take steroids?

Why not cheat on exams?

Why not rig an election?

Why not kill somebody if you can get away with it?
That's kinda extreme, but I absolutely agree with you're saying. Cheating on an exam without getting caught is also a competitive advantage. If I get into law school by cheating, no one will look back after I'm a lawyer for 20 years and say, hey, that kid was an idiot did he cheat his way into law school, but it's still morally wrong.

The only "good" kind of dive is when a player is diving out to get the puck out their end. I don't agree that when Henrik fell it was a dive (he got slashed in the ankle, while balancing on one foot...even players with ridiculous balance like the twins will fall if that happens...), I do think plays like that need to stop.

vancityluongo is offline  
Old
06-04-2011, 10:05 PM
  #955
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Wow.. what a flukey goal. Guess Vancouver is finally getting the bounces after that weird series against Nashville.

Boston is done. No way they are winning 4 out of 5 games.

jarek is offline  
Old
06-04-2011, 10:40 PM
  #956
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 38,047
vCash: 500
Going back to Boston, they have a shot.


I haven't watched all that many vancouver games so I might not know what I'm talking about, but is there any better Smythe candidate now than Burrows?

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
06-04-2011, 10:47 PM
  #957
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Going back to Boston, they have a shot.


I haven't watched all that many vancouver games so I might not know what I'm talking about, but is there any better Smythe candidate now than Burrows?
He's a darkhorse now, as well as Daniel Sedin. They are both still behind Kesler/Luongo/Henrik though IMO.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
06-04-2011, 10:52 PM
  #958
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I haven't watched all that many vancouver games so I might not know what I'm talking about, but is there any better Smythe candidate now than Burrows?
Kesler is by far the Conn Smythe trophy leader given his exceptional play in EVERY series. Luongo is clearly second. After that, opinions vary. Henrik has gaudy numbers for three games in one round, not enough of the playoffs to warrant much consideration unless central to the Canucks 3rd and 4th wins this series. Even then.

Burrows is arguably 3rd behind Kesler and Luongo and frankly needs two more exceptional games with Kesler being a non factor and Luongo letting in 3+ goals to be a front running candidate for Vancouver.

I personally think Bieksa has been the 2nd most valuable player for the Canucks after Kesler (with Burrows closing the gap quickly), but defensemen who don't score a lot don't get much attention.

VanIslander is offline  
Old
06-04-2011, 10:53 PM
  #959
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Going back to Boston, they have a shot.


I haven't watched all that many vancouver games so I might not know what I'm talking about, but is there any better Smythe candidate now than Burrows?
They HAVE to.. absolutely HAVE to win both games in Boston.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many Cup winners have won a cup having NEVER trailed in a series in the playoffs? The Canucks have been tied after at least 1 game only once, I believe (when Chicago took it to 7), and I think they have won both series opening games in every series so far (I think Nashville might have won game 2, so that would make it tied twice). They have not, however, ever trailed in a series.

jarek is offline  
Old
06-04-2011, 10:54 PM
  #960
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Kesler is by far the Conn Smythe trophy leader given his exceptional play in EVERY series. Luongo is clearly second. After that, opinions vary. Henrik has gaudy numbers for three games in one round, not enough of the playoffs to warrant much consideration unless central to the Canucks 3rd and 4th wins this series. Even then.

Burrows is arguably 3rd behind Kesler and Luongo and frankly needs two more exceptional games with Kesler being a non factor and Luongo letting in 3+ goals to be a front running candidate for Vancouver.

I personally think Bieska has been the 2nd most valuable player for the Canucks after Kesler (with Burrows closing the gap quickly), but defensemen who don't score a lot don't get much attention.
I absolutely agree. There has not been a series where either Kesler or Luongo haven't been factors. Kesler won game 7 of the Chicago series for them with his incredible all around play. Then he took matters into his own hands against Nashville. He did as good a job against Thornton as anyone could have asked, and he's doing a masterful job against Krejci now, as well.

jarek is offline  
Old
06-04-2011, 11:04 PM
  #961
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Also, I need to ask: are any key players for Vancouver coming up for contract negotiations any time soon? This team has a very scary chance of becoming a dynasty if they can keep it together.

EDIT: Holy crap.. according to Capgeek, Vancouver has 13 million left on the salary cap, with the cap expected to rise next season.

EDIT: Ah.. that's just what they have in cap space with all their expiring contracts. The only key players I see becoming free agents this off-season are Bieksa, Salo and Ehrhoff. I would try to keep all 3. Then I would probably keep Higgins, Lapierre, Torres and Hansen. This shouldn't be too challenging.

jarek is offline  
Old
06-04-2011, 11:20 PM
  #962
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
Also, I need to ask: are any key players for Vancouver coming up for contract negotiations any time soon? This team has a very scary chance of becoming a dynasty if they can keep it together.

EDIT: Holy crap.. according to Capgeek, Vancouver has 13 million left on the salary cap, with the cap expected to rise next season.

EDIT: Ah.. that's just what they have in cap space with all their expiring contracts. The only key players I see becoming free agents this off-season are Bieksa, Salo and Ehrhoff. I would try to keep all 3. Then I would probably keep Higgins, Lapierre, Torres and Hansen. This shouldn't be too challenging.
Salo is done after this year. They wil probably move Ballard as well, theres 8 milion freed up for Bieksa or Ehrhoff - or hell, both hopefully.

Sedins/Kesler/Luongo/Burrows/Edler/Hamhuis etc. are all locked up.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
06-04-2011, 11:21 PM
  #963
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
Also, I need to ask: are any key players for Vancouver coming up for contract negotiations any time soon? This team has a very scary chance of becoming a dynasty if they can keep it together.

EDIT: Holy crap.. according to Capgeek, Vancouver has 13 million left on the salary cap, with the cap expected to rise next season.

EDIT: Ah.. that's just what they have in cap space with all their expiring contracts. The only key players I see becoming free agents this off-season are Bieksa, Salo and Ehrhoff. I would try to keep all 3. Then I would probably keep Higgins, Lapierre, Torres and Hansen. This shouldn't be too challenging.
Salo could likely walk, he should retire, his body is in very rough shape. The challenge will be keeping Higgins, Lapierre and Torres, one of them, certainly, two, possibly, all three, unlikely.

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
06-04-2011, 11:28 PM
  #964
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
I think the main thing with Vancouver is that they have gotten a lot of value out of their contracts, especially Luongo, Kesler, Burrows and the Sedins. Maybe Bieksa and Ehrhoff will take discounts to stay with a winner, and sign for between 4-5 million. I see Higgins, Lapierre and Torres as 1-3 million dollar players. If Salo retires and Ballard is traded, they should be able to fit everyone, hopefully.

What's up with Ballard, anyways? On paper, he ought to be no worse than a number 5 for the team, ahead of Rome and Alberts. I thought he was one of the gem acquisitions for the Canucks?

jarek is offline  
Old
06-04-2011, 11:41 PM
  #965
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
I think the main thing with Vancouver is that they have gotten a lot of value out of their contracts, especially Luongo, Kesler, Burrows and the Sedins. Maybe Bieksa and Ehrhoff will take discounts to stay with a winner, and sign for between 4-5 million. I see Higgins, Lapierre and Torres as 1-3 million dollar players. If Salo retires and Ballard is traded, they should be able to fit everyone, hopefully.

What's up with Ballard, anyways? On paper, he ought to be no worse than a number 5 for the team, ahead of Rome and Alberts. I thought he was one of the gem acquisitions for the Canucks?
Mike Gillis has done an amazing job for the most part. Absolute bargains with Burrows and Edler specifically. The Sedins should be at 7.5-8 and they're just at 6 as well.

As for Ballard? None of us know. He's light years better than Rome yet Rome is favoured by the coaches for god knows what reason. I hope he is traded in the off season for two reasons, #1 he deserves to be treated better than this, and #2 his salary comes off the books. Lol.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
06-06-2011, 09:40 PM
  #966
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
That was one of the most pathetic second periods I've ever seen in my life. Bad luck with Edler, but the Canucks looked like crap right after.

jarek is offline  
Old
06-06-2011, 10:14 PM
  #967
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,945
vCash: 500
That Tim Thomas hit on Henrik Sedin was epic!
The goalie took out the center like a linebacker smacking a receiver, putting him flat on his back, legs up like a newborn baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UId1P6RDpM

Who owns the crease?

VanIslander is offline  
Old
06-06-2011, 10:16 PM
  #968
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Pfft.. who cares about that. Canucks in 5.. win it at home.

jarek is offline  
Old
06-06-2011, 10:16 PM
  #969
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,454
vCash: 500
Thomas jumping up and down in a 8-1 blowout....******.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
  #970
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Thomas jumping up and down in a 8-1 blowout....******.
Haha.. they spent all their goals in one game!!!

jarek is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 12:10 AM
  #971
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 38,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Thomas jumping up and down in a 8-1 blowout....******.
They just won game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals to make it a series. Of course he's happy.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 12:12 AM
  #972
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
They just won game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals to make it a series. Of course he's happy.
It'll be a series if they win game 4. I'm calling Canucks in 5 if they win game 4.

jarek is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 12:13 AM
  #973
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
Haha.. they spent all their goals in one game!!!
... or they finally figured out how to get to Vancouver ...

Dreakmur is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 12:17 AM
  #974
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
They just won game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals to make it a series. Of course he's happy.
He has every right to be ecstatic. But when the game is in garbage time you just don't do that, it's childish.

If Luongo does that in a blowout he is the most dis-respectful goalie ever I bet.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
06-07-2011, 02:16 AM
  #975
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Reds4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Czech Republic
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,516
vCash: 500
Hopefully Boston can win game 4. This year's Canucks have got to be one of my least favourite teams, ever.

Reds4Life is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.