HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room III (all non-ATD topics here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2011, 08:56 PM
jarek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
No it hasn't. There are different degrees of cheating, but they are all wrong.... which is why punishments are in place.

You believe that certain levels of wrong are acceptable. I try to hold myself to a higher stanard.
You missed the point on the rest, and I don't feel like responding to it, so I'll just address this:

I am not advocating cheating for the sake of cheating. I am advocating embellishment of infractions in order to draw attention to them, if that is what your opponent is doing, and getting away with it. The person committing the infraction in this case has already cheated, and if they aren't calling it, why shouldn't you "help" the referee see it?

Old
06-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
I am not advocating cheating for the sake of cheating. I am advocating embellishment of infractions in order to draw attention to them
You can wrap it up however you want, it's still cheating, and it's still wrong.

Quote:
if that is what your opponent is doing, and getting away with it.
2 wrongs make a right now?

Quote:
why shouldn't you "help" the referee see it?
Because it's cheating....

Old
06-03-2011, 09:12 PM
jarek

Quote:
You can wrap it up however you want, it's still cheating, and it's still wrong.

2 wrongs make a right now?

Because it's cheating....
Fine. I'm a cheater. Go call the cops. Plzkthx.

Old
06-04-2011, 01:24 AM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Why not take steroids?

Why not cheat on exams?

Why not rig an election?

Why not kill somebody if you can get away with it?
That's kinda extreme, but I absolutely agree with you're saying. Cheating on an exam without getting caught is also a competitive advantage. If I get into law school by cheating, no one will look back after I'm a lawyer for 20 years and say, hey, that kid was an idiot did he cheat his way into law school, but it's still morally wrong.

The only "good" kind of dive is when a player is diving out to get the puck out their end. I don't agree that when Henrik fell it was a dive (he got slashed in the ankle, while balancing on one foot...even players with ridiculous balance like the twins will fall if that happens...), I do think plays like that need to stop.

Old
06-04-2011, 10:05 PM
jarek

Wow.. what a flukey goal. Guess Vancouver is finally getting the bounces after that weird series against Nashville.

Boston is done. No way they are winning 4 out of 5 games.

Old
06-04-2011, 10:40 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Going back to Boston, they have a shot.

I haven't watched all that many vancouver games so I might not know what I'm talking about, but is there any better Smythe candidate now than Burrows?

Old
06-04-2011, 10:47 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post

I haven't watched all that many vancouver games so I might not know what I'm talking about, but is there any better Smythe candidate now than Burrows?
He's a darkhorse now, as well as Daniel Sedin. They are both still behind Kesler/Luongo/Henrik though IMO.

Old
06-04-2011, 10:52 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Kesler is by far the Conn Smythe trophy leader given his exceptional play in EVERY series. Luongo is clearly second. After that, opinions vary. Henrik has gaudy numbers for three games in one round, not enough of the playoffs to warrant much consideration unless central to the Canucks 3rd and 4th wins this series. Even then.

Burrows is arguably 3rd behind Kesler and Luongo and frankly needs two more exceptional games with Kesler being a non factor and Luongo letting in 3+ goals to be a front running candidate for Vancouver.

I personally think Bieksa has been the 2nd most valuable player for the Canucks after Kesler (with Burrows closing the gap quickly), but defensemen who don't score a lot don't get much attention.

Old
06-04-2011, 10:53 PM
jarek

Quote:

They HAVE to.. absolutely HAVE to win both games in Boston.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many Cup winners have won a cup having NEVER trailed in a series in the playoffs? The Canucks have been tied after at least 1 game only once, I believe (when Chicago took it to 7), and I think they have won both series opening games in every series so far (I think Nashville might have won game 2, so that would make it tied twice). They have not, however, ever trailed in a series.

Old
06-04-2011, 10:54 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Kesler is by far the Conn Smythe trophy leader given his exceptional play in EVERY series. Luongo is clearly second. After that, opinions vary. Henrik has gaudy numbers for three games in one round, not enough of the playoffs to warrant much consideration unless central to the Canucks 3rd and 4th wins this series. Even then.

Burrows is arguably 3rd behind Kesler and Luongo and frankly needs two more exceptional games with Kesler being a non factor and Luongo letting in 3+ goals to be a front running candidate for Vancouver.

I personally think Bieska has been the 2nd most valuable player for the Canucks after Kesler (with Burrows closing the gap quickly), but defensemen who don't score a lot don't get much attention.
I absolutely agree. There has not been a series where either Kesler or Luongo haven't been factors. Kesler won game 7 of the Chicago series for them with his incredible all around play. Then he took matters into his own hands against Nashville. He did as good a job against Thornton as anyone could have asked, and he's doing a masterful job against Krejci now, as well.

Old
06-04-2011, 11:04 PM
jarek

Also, I need to ask: are any key players for Vancouver coming up for contract negotiations any time soon? This team has a very scary chance of becoming a dynasty if they can keep it together.

EDIT: Holy crap.. according to Capgeek, Vancouver has 13 million left on the salary cap, with the cap expected to rise next season.

EDIT: Ah.. that's just what they have in cap space with all their expiring contracts. The only key players I see becoming free agents this off-season are Bieksa, Salo and Ehrhoff. I would try to keep all 3. Then I would probably keep Higgins, Lapierre, Torres and Hansen. This shouldn't be too challenging.

Old
06-04-2011, 11:20 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Also, I need to ask: are any key players for Vancouver coming up for contract negotiations any time soon? This team has a very scary chance of becoming a dynasty if they can keep it together.

EDIT: Holy crap.. according to Capgeek, Vancouver has 13 million left on the salary cap, with the cap expected to rise next season.

EDIT: Ah.. that's just what they have in cap space with all their expiring contracts. The only key players I see becoming free agents this off-season are Bieksa, Salo and Ehrhoff. I would try to keep all 3. Then I would probably keep Higgins, Lapierre, Torres and Hansen. This shouldn't be too challenging.
Salo is done after this year. They wil probably move Ballard as well, theres 8 milion freed up for Bieksa or Ehrhoff - or hell, both hopefully.

Sedins/Kesler/Luongo/Burrows/Edler/Hamhuis etc. are all locked up.

Old
06-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:

Salo could likely walk, he should retire, his body is in very rough shape. The challenge will be keeping Higgins, Lapierre and Torres, one of them, certainly, two, possibly, all three, unlikely.

06-04-2011, 11:28 PM
jarek

I think the main thing with Vancouver is that they have gotten a lot of value out of their contracts, especially Luongo, Kesler, Burrows and the Sedins. Maybe Bieksa and Ehrhoff will take discounts to stay with a winner, and sign for between 4-5 million. I see Higgins, Lapierre and Torres as 1-3 million dollar players. If Salo retires and Ballard is traded, they should be able to fit everyone, hopefully.

What's up with Ballard, anyways? On paper, he ought to be no worse than a number 5 for the team, ahead of Rome and Alberts. I thought he was one of the gem acquisitions for the Canucks?

Old
06-04-2011, 11:41 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
I think the main thing with Vancouver is that they have gotten a lot of value out of their contracts, especially Luongo, Kesler, Burrows and the Sedins. Maybe Bieksa and Ehrhoff will take discounts to stay with a winner, and sign for between 4-5 million. I see Higgins, Lapierre and Torres as 1-3 million dollar players. If Salo retires and Ballard is traded, they should be able to fit everyone, hopefully.

What's up with Ballard, anyways? On paper, he ought to be no worse than a number 5 for the team, ahead of Rome and Alberts. I thought he was one of the gem acquisitions for the Canucks?
Mike Gillis has done an amazing job for the most part. Absolute bargains with Burrows and Edler specifically. The Sedins should be at 7.5-8 and they're just at 6 as well.

As for Ballard? None of us know. He's light years better than Rome yet Rome is favoured by the coaches for god knows what reason. I hope he is traded in the off season for two reasons, #1 he deserves to be treated better than this, and #2 his salary comes off the books. Lol.

Old
06-06-2011, 09:40 PM
jarek

That was one of the most pathetic second periods I've ever seen in my life. Bad luck with Edler, but the Canucks looked like crap right after.

Old
06-06-2011, 10:14 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

That Tim Thomas hit on Henrik Sedin was epic!
The goalie took out the center like a linebacker smacking a receiver, putting him flat on his back, legs up like a newborn baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UId1P6RDpM

Who owns the crease?

Old
06-06-2011, 10:16 PM
jarek

Pfft.. who cares about that. Canucks in 5.. win it at home.

Old
06-06-2011, 10:16 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Thomas jumping up and down in a 8-1 blowout....******.

Old
06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Haha.. they spent all their goals in one game!!!

Old
06-07-2011, 12:10 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
They just won game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals to make it a series. Of course he's happy.

Old
06-07-2011, 12:12 AM
jarek

Quote:
They just won game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals to make it a series. Of course he's happy.
It'll be a series if they win game 4. I'm calling Canucks in 5 if they win game 4.

Old
06-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
Haha.. they spent all their goals in one game!!!
... or they finally figured out how to get to Vancouver ...

Old
06-07-2011, 12:17 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
He has every right to be ecstatic. But when the game is in garbage time you just don't do that, it's childish.

If Luongo does that in a blowout he is the most dis-respectful goalie ever I bet.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:16 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Hopefully Boston can win game 4. This year's Canucks have got to be one of my least favourite teams, ever.

Closed Thread