HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

2011 Spring GM Meetings in Florida (March 14-16)

Old
03-10-2011, 03:01 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
2011 Spring GM Meetings in Florida (March 14-16)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...20in%20English

NHL.com, NHL Network, NHL radio coverage

Guessing that head hits will be high on the agenda. Hybrid icing is apparently also on the list.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:17 PM
aparch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...20in%20English

NHL.com, NHL Network, NHL radio coverage

Guessing that head hits will be high on the agenda. Hybrid icing is apparently also on the list.
After seeing it in the college game this season, I'm a HUGE fan of it. Still gives you a chase for the loose puck to negate icing, but having the ref blow the whistle when the players get to the hash marks makes it a bit safer than both crashing into the end boards in an effort to touch up.

There IS room for error though with the linesmen. But I feel that an errant whistle (which already happens thanks to nervous/anxious linesmen) is a lot better than a scary incident from a collision.

aparch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:33 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
they need player equipment, especially shoulder and elbow pads, to be reviewed.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:35 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
they need player equipment, especially shoulder and elbow pads, to be reviewed.
absoluetly.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:37 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparch View Post
After seeing it in the college game this season, I'm a HUGE fan of it. Still gives you a chase for the loose puck to negate icing, but having the ref blow the whistle when the players get to the hash marks makes it a bit safer than both crashing into the end boards in an effort to touch up.

There IS room for error though with the linesmen. But I feel that an errant whistle (which already happens thanks to nervous/anxious linesmen) is a lot better than a scary incident from a collision.
that dummy Don Cherry's been stumping for both of these items (icing changes,and equip. changes) for years.think he's on to something?

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 03:33 PM
straka91*

Every year I get more nervous when the GM meetings happen. They add/change rules that dont signifantly help the problem they are trying to fix and accidently hinder the way the game is played.

I pray they address the equipment issue this year. Too much safety can actually have an opposite effect on what they are trying to accomplish. Smaller pads for everyone.

Another thing I want them to take a look at is the institgator. Giving an instigator to player that is defending a team mate should not get one imo. Staged fights should get an instigator all the time to curb most of the classy, nice guy fights. Take downs (thanks BGL) is a trend that needs to be stopped. If a fighter does a take down its a 5 minute major for intent to injure.

To make it clear i love fighting in the NHL and the useless tough guys. I just want "enforcing" to make a little comeback.

Reffing is becoming a serious issue. I know the NHL has lost a lot of experience this season but there are way too many special teams play going on out there. And they are calling penalties on results and names, not the actual crime.They are grown men so let them play a little.

The headshot rule. Major tweaking needs to be done with it to clarify what the rule actually is. This will hopefully make the refs job a little easier and get the right calls made.

Last edited by straka91*: 03-11-2011 at 03:40 PM.
straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:11 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...medium=twitter

Duhatschek previews the GM meetings.

Old
03-12-2011, 01:01 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Duhatschek has another proposal the GMs might discuss - a CFL-like playoff cross over where teams from one conference (say the 9th and 10th seeds of the Western Conference) would play as the lowest seeds in the other conference, if they had more points that those teams.

Old
03-13-2011, 04:10 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...rs-ago/related
NBC reminding folks that NHLPA wanted elimination of headshots 3 years ago

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...er=rss&emc=rss
NY Times looks at the headshot issue WRT GM meetings

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...s.html?ref=rss
CP looks at meetings, headshot topic

Old
03-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Tinalera

Quote:

Duhatschek has another proposal the GMs might discuss - a CFL-like playoff cross over where teams from one conference (say the 9th and 10th seeds of the Western Conference) would play as the lowest seeds in the other conference, if they had more points that those teams.
THAT could be rather interesting-particularly with recently West teams finishing out of the playoffs having more points than East teams who made playoffs.

I wonder if this would divide the GM's between West and East? Either that or just simply go by League standings for Playoffs (Carolina, your First round opponent is...Vancouver! )

Tinalera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:12 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...mpid=rss-rosen

NHL feature on GM meetings.

NHL Live @ GM meetings right now (until 2pm ET) and repeated twice on NHL Network. (Same schedule for the next two days)

Old
03-14-2011, 11:17 AM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparch View Post

with regards to the hybrid icing, is this a solution in search of a problem? I get the whole concussion thing, but to me the equipment review issue should be a higher priority. Not to mention, I haven't really seen any examples this year of icing causing a ton of injuries....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:22 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Some notes from NHL Live.

Craig Button suggested some rule changes to eliminate "unnecessary" collisions:

* Remove the offsides tag up rule (makes the defensive players more thoughtful, rather than just tossing the puck out)
* Reinstitute the redline (no hard two-line passes; again, makes the players think)
* Remove the trapezoid restrictions on the goalie (by having the goalie play the puck, less need for the players race back to play the puck in the corner)

In that same vein, the suggested hybrid icing rule will prevent some issues of collisions as well.

Also thought about elimination of all hits to the head.

Old
03-14-2011, 12:38 PM
LeftCoast

One of the things the league should really look into is better control and standardization of the quality of ice from venue to venue and throughout the year.

Overall better quality of ice would lead to:
  • A faster, higher scoring game, without the attendant increase in collisions or injuries.
  • More flow, fewer stoppages in play, fewer offsides and fewer pucks over the glass or into the benches.
  • Fewer knee, groin and the dreaded "lower body" injuries.
  • Sedins would put up 120 points.

Some games, particularly this time of year as the weather starts to turn, you regularly see 2 inches of snow in the corners and the puck is bouncing and rolling all over the place. This makes skating more laboured and provides an incentive for the sort of territorial game where teams to dump and chase in the offensive zone or bang it off the glass and out in their own zone. A more flow oriented passing, skating and puck control game is far more entertaining to watch.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:52 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

LC - speaking from watching and reading stories on the Sharks issues with their ice.....

It's a multi-phase issue. There's the temperature of the ice, the quality of the water (Sharks use reverse osmosis to ensure "crystal" clear water), the ability of the ice plant to maintain the ice temperature, the temperature of the building (vs. what's comfortable for the fans); the humidity of the region, the building, near the ice surface. Heck, the Sharks even have the loading dock which opens up directly to where the Zambonis enter the rink causing all kinds of external weather effecting the ice.

Also historically, the Sharks "purposefully" had poorer ice as they didn't have a speed game (talk about home ice advantage ). As they got better, the team worked to improve the ice.

IIRC, the Sharks (and the city who actually owns the building) have spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in amelioration to address the humidity issue.

Old
03-14-2011, 01:09 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

And WRT ice, it also helps to have a guy employed by the team/building who knows his stuff. The Sharks guy Bruce T-something, is among the league's best. (Worked Utah Olympics)

Bettman's "5-point plan" on concussion prevention:
  1. Shanahan to work with NHLPA on equipment safety
  2. Mandatory removal from play if player shows any signs of listlessness after hit
  3. On repeat offenders for illegal hits, penalties for club and/or coach
  4. Engineering firm to be hired to evaluate rink "environment" safety
  5. Blue ribbon committee to evaluate all related topics

Old
03-14-2011, 01:13 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
the league needs no touch icing
everything else is fine

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:15 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Craig Button suggested some rule changes to eliminate "unnecessary" collisions:

* Remove the offsides tag up rule (makes the defensive players more thoughtful, rather than just tossing the puck out)
* Reinstitute the redline (no hard two-line passes; again, makes the players think)
* Remove the trapezoid restrictions on the goalie (by having the goalie play the puck, less need for the players race back to play the puck in the corner)
I wouldn't mind testing out the offsides idea, but the other two strike me as ideas which would improve safety at the cost of game flow.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:17 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I wouldn't mind testing out the offsides idea, but the other two strike me as ideas which would improve safety at the cost of game flow.
True. Button indicated as much, but thought that the safety of the players was more important than game flow.

Breakdown of concussion (source):

SourcePercent
Legal hits44%
Accidental hits31%
Illegal hits17%
Fighting8%

And noted that there have been 14 suspensions for hits to the head this season.

Old
03-14-2011, 01:18 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Yeah - that sounds pretty much like a fast track back to the dead puck era.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:22 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

WRT concussions - majority seem to be coming from body(to body) checks, rather than head hits.

Old
03-14-2011, 01:25 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Goalie trapezoid -- was primarily implemented to frustrate/limit those goalies who actually CAN handle the puck. Brodeur and Turco being two of the most noted. (But the Sharks haven't exactly had poor handlers for goalies; Nabokov was pretty good, Niemi's been working on it.)

So, I really don't think that the elimination of that will change the flow of the game that much.

Now, the offsides - that will definitely effect the flow.

Old
03-14-2011, 03:02 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

helenenothelen 11:34am via Web NHL changes concussion protocol--players w/symptoms must be xamined by doctors, not trainers. shouldn't this have been protocol before now?

Old
03-14-2011, 03:31 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...m.html?ref=rss

New concussion protocols going into effect "immediately". (A few conference calls are needed with doctors to get things finalized.)

Old
03-14-2011, 07:21 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=556052

NHL article recapping day one, emphasizing player safety.