HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larsson + Strome/Huberdeau vs RNH/Couturier + Hamilton/Murphy

View Poll Results: What package would you prefer with the 1st and 5th ovearll draft picks?
1) Adam Larsson 5) Strome/Huberdeau 99 68.28%
1) RNH/Couturier 5) Hamilton/Murphy 46 31.72%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
If Larsson is taken first overall has he mentioned if he's willing to make the jump next season, or is he going to stick for one more year in the SEL?
I think he'd make the jump. 2 seasons in the SEL, I don't see what else he can prove apart from putting up points.

By all accounts, defensively he's already done more than enough.

03-18-2011, 04:37 AM
biturbo19

vCash: 500
I'd go C first, D second.

Though it seems unlikely to me that the Oilers manage to climb up high enough with that 2nd pick to grab Hamilton/Murphy...on the general premise of the thread, if it were me...i'd go with one of the Centers first, then grab a solid d-man with the later 1st round pick. i think that even if the pick isn't high enough for Hamilton/Murphy, there are still definitely going to be quality d-men on the board later in the 1st round who could become top-end defenders in time, whereas trying to nab a 1st line C with size turns into more and more of a crapshoot as you go down the draft order. At least to me, it seems like the longer and seemingly less predictable development curve for d-men make for a decent number of high quality defenders coming out of the mid-late 1st round, or even 2nd round.

And to take it even further...after taking one of the Centers with the earlier pick...i'd be fairly inclined to wait and see who is falling and left on the board...and if an opportunity arises to move down a few picks with the LA pick and grab a pair of bottom end potential 1st round D-man with the traded down LA 1st and the EDM 2nd, PLUS add another high pick somewhere in the 2nd round on top of that...i might jump on it.

The opportunity to come out of the first two rounds with something like:

EDM 1st = Couturier
LA 1st moved down and EDM 2nd = a PAIR of guys like Musil/Brodin/Klefbom/Morrow/Mayfield/Beaulieu/whoever else might fall/etc.
+ whoever falls to wherever that added 2nd round pick is (which could be a flyer on a high skill high risk forward or a gritty forward), or you could take a forward with that EDM 2nd and go with a more risky/raw D-man with the later 2nd.

seems like 4 picks in the first 2 rounds is better than 3. but moving down isn't always the most popular option i guess. and Larsson would be incredibly tempting...

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote