HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chara will NOT be fined or suspended Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2011, 04:35 PM
BeBen*

vCash: 500
Chara will NOT be fined or suspended Part II

Continue here

Part I : http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=888277

Last edited by BeBen*: 03-10-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old
03-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Chara NOT suspended/fined - the saga continues

Last thread hit 1000.

Continue our apparent (according to the main board) *****fest here.

____

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=555520

Quote:
"After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline. This hit resulted from a play that evolved and then happened very quickly -- with both players skating in the same direction and with Chara attempting to angle his opponent into the boards. I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous.

"This was a hockey play that resulted in an injury because of the player colliding with the stanchion and then the ice surface. In reviewing this play, I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career."

Old
03-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin 19 View Post
Like Dreger said Chara's hit was a "hockey play gone wrong", was it reckless? IMO yes it was because there was 17 seconds left in the period and human instinct kicks and forces you to stop but what happened, happened. I hope Max a great recovery and let's hope he can get back to playing hockey.
See, this is the crux of mine (and I am sure many arguments) we're making about this mess.

Was it a hockey play? YES!

He didn't chase him around the ice trying to lumberjack his forehead.

It WAS a hockey play.

And to me, THAT is the problem. That is a fact, not a justification. If you make a reckless "hockey play" that results in severe injury, you should be severely punished.

When players talk about respect, they don't mean Bertuzzi. They mean this.

The sign of respect is when you could hit someone really hard within the confines of "the game" and maybe even the rules and you let up.

Chara failed to do this. He had a player in a vulnurable position in an insanely dangerous part of the ice and absolutely demolished him and he did it with an illegal play (in this case interference).

That's a suspension.

Bottom line: Chara committed an illegal play (interference) that resulted in very serious injury. How with those two facts alone is he not suspended? We can argue "intent" and "history" and "hockey play" all we want. The line for a suspension should be a play that is against the rules, and dangerous. The line for a big suspension should be against the rules, dangerous and resulting in serious injury. The line for criminal charges is when you get things like "beyond the game" and "intent to injure" involved. If it were proven beyond doubt that Chara had premeditated the act and intended to break Pacioretty's neck (which is of course impossible to prove), then this debate would and should be about how much time he would spend in prison, not how long he gets suspended.

Unfortunately, because the NHL failed to address these "hockey plays" seriously, now the cops are forced to take action even when we'd all rather they didn't.

If the NHL won't police itself, someone has to.

(Repost as I was editing/adding something when the thread was closed.)

Old
03-10-2011, 04:51 PM
OneSharpMarble

It wasn't a "hit". You don't hold someone over the boards with your arms as they try and skate by and guide them into a stantion. He knew where he was and that is why his arms were out.

Watch charas reaction after that impact, the guy didn't even flinch. You can tell he knew exactly what was coming and what he did.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
It wasn't a "hit". You don't hold someone over the boards with your arms as they try and skate by and guide them into a stantion. He knew where he was and that is why his arms were out.

Watch charas reaction after that impact, the guy didn't even flinch. You can tell he knew exactly what was coming and what he did.
If Chara really and truly did not know where he was on the ice at the time of the incident, he is even more dangerous than previously thought and that issue must be addressed.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:04 PM
NBP81

- He didnt know where he was on the ice.
- He didnt see the turnbuckle.
- He didnt know it was Patch.

If it was MAB, I might buy it, but Chara?

Old
03-10-2011, 05:12 PM
almostjesus*

I don't even know why we're arguing here.

Of course Bruins fans are going to stand up for one of their players, who wouldn't.

Of course other players in the league are going to keep hush about it, they want to keep their jobs.

It's just the way things are.

Anything that Bruins fans try to defend is quickly nullified by bias and fact that they're one of the most clueless fan bases that lack common sense when it comes to BASIC PHYSICS.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:22 PM
imnothere

I'd love to see the B's fans reaction if Bergeron was the one who left on a stretcher instead.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Carey Chant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delat View Post
I'm not excusing the hit, but it's different in some ways, Jon Sim had the puck, he touched it at the same time he got hit so he knew he would get hit so had a bt of time to protect with his hand. Both of Hal Gill's arm were at the chest level of Sim, not pushing his head in the stanchion, the only thing I can relate to Chara's hit here is that he maybe should not have hit him toward the boards but directly in his skating line to not risk any stupid injury.
Exactly.

I love how Bruins fans are trying to justify the violent hit with other hits. Gill hit him clean, no hand shoving a head into the turnbuckle. That's the reason there isn't a stretcher coming onto the ice in that clip. The player had the puck so he can be hit, not to mention he was lined up with him and the player receiving the hit could brace himself for contact. Max was past Chara and was hit from behind. Suspension material 100% but NHL wanted to open up another can of worms and missed the boat.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:24 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Reverse the players and Bruins fans are probably screaming murder.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:34 PM
LyleOdelein

Hitting a player without the puck impacts the danger of the contact significantly. Anybody who tries to compare a hit on a player with the puck to a hit on a player who doesn't have the puck has a very limited understanding of contact in hockey.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Hitting a player without the puck impacts the danger of the contact significantly. Anybody who tries to compare a hit on a player with the puck to a hit on a player who doesn't have the puck has a very limited understanding of contact in hockey.
I'd still suspend Gill for that play, because it was dangerous and common sense says not to level a guy at that point on the ice.

If Pacioretty had the puck the other night and received that hit, I'd still want punishment.

However, when the play is legal and dangerous... that's a short suspension.

When the play is illegal and dangerous... how is that not a long suspension?

The NHL's idiotic "intent" rule is just ridiculous. If there was demonstrable intent, he'd be in prison.

To me, interference is just as much against the rules as slashing and boarding, so why the hell does interference that leads to injury not count, but checking from behind does? Both are by the NHL's insane definition "hockey plays."

Old
03-10-2011, 05:41 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I'd still suspend Gill for that play, because it was dangerous and common sense says not to level a guy at that point on the ice.

If Pacioretty had the puck the other night and received that hit, I'd still want punishment.

However, when the play is legal and dangerous... that's a short suspension.

When the play is illegal and dangerous... how is that not a long suspension?

The NHL's idiotic "intent" rule is just ridiculous. If there was demonstrable intent, he'd be in prison.

To me, interference is just as much against the rules as slashing and boarding, so why the hell does interference that leads to injury not count, but checking from behind does? Both are by the NHL's insane definition "hockey plays."
I agree with a lot of what you say, but my point is that the overall danger presented by a late hit is much higher than one on a player with the puck. That factor alone (among others mentioned by other posters) makes the Pacioretty incident much different from the Simm hit.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:45 PM
axman88

"In reviewing this play, I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career." NHL vice-president of hockey operations Mike Murphy

Lol....I don't understand this article then....
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2246325

Old
03-10-2011, 05:47 PM
supertzar

I don't understand how the hockey world is calling this a 'strong hockey play'. How long did it take the league office to leak that talking point?

It's not a strong hockey play because it was called a penalty. How can it be simultaneously a strong and good hockey play and also deemed illegal?

Chara was behind him. He assuredly saw the number 67. Too maintain that one of the best defenseman in the world doesn't know who he is on ice with is laughable. Then he rode his body on the other side of the boards and into the buckle.

Next time these teams play, the entire team should take clean runs at Chara and other star players the entire game.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
- He didnt know where he was on the ice.
- He didnt see the turnbuckle.
- He didnt know it was Patch.

If it was MAB, I might buy it, but Chara?

I needed that laugh given the tension of the past few days, lol.

But yeah, like you said, Chara's not that blind of a player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
"In reviewing this play, I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career." NHL vice-president of hockey operations Mike Murphy

Lol....I don't understand this article then....
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2246325
The NHL really didn't do their homework on this one. Not only that, but I've seen at least two Campbell and/or Murphy quotes on previous league disciplinary decisions that just don't jive with their approach to the Chara hit.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:59 PM
saints96

this should be aired on every sports station.

Old
03-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Last thread hit 1000.

Continue our apparent (according to the main board) *****fest here.

____

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=555520
*****fest? Really? Let's just wait the same **** happens to one of their better players. I won't offer them sympathy.

Old
03-10-2011, 06:10 PM
axman88

Btw the Gill hit on Sims is A LOT different! It's possible he should have got suspended on that hit BUT....

Gill was skating backwards and when he went into the hit he pushed him in the opposite direction that Sim's was skating thus the impact was not as great as....

Chara and Paciorretti were both going in the same direction, and if you look at the PUSH, Chara is pushing him in a FORWARD direction - increasing the speed at impact

Old
03-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I was all for a suspension on Chara - somewhere in the 4-8 game range, but like Max, I don't want any legal action to be pursued. I find that's a bit unnecessary.

The NHL goofed up with their lack of punishment, but let's not get carried away here...

Old
03-10-2011, 06:16 PM
NewHabsEra*

They just woke up a monster, the new Habs era has come, going for the 25th Stanley cup!!

Old
03-10-2011, 06:19 PM
BigNumber1Centre
Heart of Gallagher

Has Chara even reached out to Pacioretty? Obviously Patches wants nothing to do with him unless it's an apology.

Old
03-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Habit11

Everyone should watch the panel segment of OTR on TSN from today. Michael Lansberg owned his panel today, and I mean owned. Everything he said to counter the predictable defenses of Chara were bang on. He shows a clip at the end of the segment of Chara sucker punching Ivanans and hammers home the point that Chara can and has been a dirty player.

Old
03-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I was all for a suspension on Chara - somewhere in the 4-8 game range, but like Max, I don't want any legal action to be pursued. I find that's a bit unnecessary.

The NHL goofed up with their lack of punishment, but let's not get carried away here...
Well, I think it's all part of the package to try to make sure that the NHL realizes it goofed up. So I don't mind. The NHL has needed a wakeup call... not just in terms of addressing the injury issue, but also perhaps in terms of its overall process of supplemental discipline, and the consistency thereof.

Bettman is clearly already intent on doing his smarmy shrug-it-off thing even with the current insane level of scrutiny and attention focused on this incident. Imagine how much less smarmy and unconcerned he'd have been if it wasn't for all this hab-bub.

So I'm okay with all the protests and police charges and politicians jumping on the bandwagon and so on. It will be interesting to see where it all goes. It seems like these things usually just fizzle out and go nowhere. But so much is going on this time it might just be a watershed event in the history of the game, and we get front row seats. <popcorn>

Old
03-10-2011, 06:28 PM
NBP81

Its so freaking evident... I mean after the Habs scored the 4th goal, Im postive every damn soul watching the game thought to them selves, something will happen, for sure. And what do youk now, minutes later, MaxPac (who said before the game he knew had a target on his back) was laying motionless on the ice... How the F can anybody honestly beleive it was an accident? Unbeleivable!

Closed Thread