HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Joe Colborne and picks

Old
03-12-2011, 08:39 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

vCash: 500
I'm fine with trading all of our picks away but we're not going to trade Colborne. He's going to be a beast.

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:24 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
leafs pass.
No they don't

I think the leafs take that deal and run before the Oil change their mind.

A young centre - who's in the NHL and a very talented playmaker for Kessel. What more could you ask for?

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Kaberle + Versteeg.

Hero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Talk Hockey
4-1 TOR. 5-4 BOS. ??

No way I would trade those picks. But if I had too... The two first rounders for Stasny? I want him here so bad

Talk Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Roof Daddy

I would seriously hope Tambo pukes when he hears any of the Oiler proposals submitted. The Gagner and Hemsky package? I understand Colbourne has some serious upside, but so does Gagner. The only difference is one guy has 4 NHL seasons under his belt. I'll take that guy. Hemsky - worst case scenario - should land an equal package to that of Penner at next year's deadline (by most scouts prognosis a stronger, deeper draft). This is if we can't find some even ground with Hemmer on an extension (injury prone - yes, but an impact player when in the lineup).

The other proposal that sees 1st/2nd overall going to TOR???? Horrible. Larsson will make an immediate impact. Is it slightly less than expected (EJ) or better than expected (Doughty)? Who knows, but I'd take either of those players over Colbourne, 2 25-30 picks and a 37-40 pick. None of them will become half the player Larsson becomes.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:09 AM
MPStoEberletoHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I would seriously hope Tambo pukes when he hears any of the Oiler proposals submitted. The Gagner and Hemsky package? I understand Colbourne has some serious upside, but so does Gagner. The only difference is one guy has 4 NHL seasons under his belt. I'll take that guy. Hemsky - worst case scenario - should land an equal package to that of Penner at next year's deadline (by most scouts prognosis a stronger, deeper draft). This is if we can't find some even ground with Hemmer on an extension (injury prone - yes, but an impact player when in the lineup).

The other proposal that sees 1st/2nd overall going to TOR???? Horrible. Larsson will make an immediate impact. Is it slightly less than expected (EJ) or better than expected (Doughty)? Who knows, but I'd take either of those players over Colbourne, 2 25-30 picks and a 37-40 pick. None of them will become half the player Larsson becomes.
What he said!

MPStoEberletoHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:28 AM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

I don't understand why Leafs fans are in such a rush to move these assets (literally - aside from McArthur and Gardiner I guess - the only thing gained by the organization this year).

I have to guess that you don't understand that this package isn't going to get you an up-and-coming star - teams don't trade those players until they become frustrated with their lack of progress, or unless they get an offer they couldn't refuse.. and if Joe Colborne and picks was an offer that couldn't be refused you wouldn't want to part with it.

The Leafs will hold onto Colborne - he is relatively close and despite not being an intimidating player he is a giant compared to most Leafs forwards at this point. More importantly he is a natural center and a natural set up man.

As for the picks, they would be best served using most of them to draft players. People don't give Burke much respect for his drafting but as a GM his teams have picked Ryan Kesler, RJ Umberger, Kevin Bieksa, Eric Tangradi, etc.. outside of the top of the draft.

That being said, I wouldn't be shocked to see him try to use one of his first round picks the way Calgary and Montreal used theirs at the 2008 draft, to trade for established forwards on the outs with their teams with a year left before UFA (Mike Cammalleri and Alex Tanguay respectively).

But a huge package like this is simply not a good idea - it will return less than the sum of its parts and it will return a player that doesn't match the trajectory this team is/should be on (slowly building towards a winner - rather than blowing their wad on a guy who will contribute for a few years and then move on).

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:52 PM
mikeyeightseven

for leafs fans sake, lets call their philly bos 1sts really good early 2nd round picks. poor leafs fans hear all this 1st rounder talk but especially in this yrs draft, the difference between a top 5 pick vs a bottom 5 pick, its honestly like a round and a half difference in terms of talent and potential. By far the most biased trade offers originate with leafs fans. they overrate their own prospects and players and underrate everyone elses. im sorry for attacking the knowledgeable leafs fans (it must be so tough living amongst such idiocy) but growing up in the greater toronto area, you cant believe the sort of things were forced to stomach every yr.

mikeyeightseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:06 PM
PoolChamp

How about keep your picks and prospect, and build a team properly?

PoolChamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Beleafer4

that package + for stastny.

pls?

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:20 PM
MuchoMacho

I think the only people the leafs trade that package for are guys like:

Jeff Richards
Jordan Staal
Bobby Ryan
Paul Statsny
Jason Spezza
Joe Thornton
Travis Zajac

PMD is too easy to pick up in FA. Leafs need a #1 center and can't trade all of their tradeable assets and NOT get a #1 center back. If they can't get a #1 center, then they trade that package to get into the top 7 this year and draft a #1 center.

btw, not saying other teams would trade those players or that it's a fair package. Just saying what the Leafs would need in return to trade that package in my opinion.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:25 PM
bobbyflex

i like colborne's upside more than kadri's

no dice

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:26 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei87 View Post
for leafs fans sake, lets call their philly bos 1sts really good early 2nd round picks. poor leafs fans hear all this 1st rounder talk but especially in this yrs draft, the difference between a top 5 pick vs a bottom 5 pick, its honestly like a round and a half difference in terms of talent and potential. By far the most biased trade offers originate with leafs fans. they overrate their own prospects and players and underrate everyone elses. im sorry for attacking the knowledgeable leafs fans (it must be so tough living amongst such idiocy) but growing up in the greater toronto area, you cant believe the sort of things were forced to stomach every yr.
lol

Bob McKenzie says there's virtually no difference between a mid and a late 1st round pick this year, yet let's call them good 2nd round picks for "leafs fans sake."

Get out of here with "such idiocy"

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:54 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafanatic13 View Post
I think the only people the leafs trade that package for are guys like:

Jeff Richards
Jordan Staal
Bobby Ryan
Paul Statsny
Jason Spezza
Joe Thornton
Travis Zajac

PMD is too easy to pick up in FA. Leafs need a #1 center and can't trade all of their tradeable assets and NOT get a #1 center back. If they can't get a #1 center, then they trade that package to get into the top 7 this year and draft a #1 center.

btw, not saying other teams would trade those players or that it's a fair package. Just saying what the Leafs would need in return to trade that package in my opinion.
Who in the f is Jeff Richards?

And PMD aren't that easy to come by. Just ask Columbus.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:22 PM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
that package + for stastny.

pls?
If the Avs were looking to deal Stastny for picks/prospects/young players, there would be too many teams with deeper systems and higher draft picks. Toronto probably couldn't make a competitive offer for Stastny without completely gutting there system, which isn't overly deep to begin with.

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
If the Avs were looking to deal Stastny for picks/prospects/young players, there would be too many teams with deeper systems and higher draft picks. Toronto probably couldn't make a competitive offer for Stastny without completely gutting there system, which isn't overly deep to begin with.
You have a strong point, but I dont think it is only a question of who has the best assets but who is willing to take that salary + cap hit (although he deserves it imo). A lot of teams with deeper systems cant take 6.6 million in salary. Or there are teams with deeper systems that wouldnt be willing to give up the assets necessary because they are rebuilding (i.e edmonton)

I would be willing to add bozak + ours and bostons second (we dont have it now, but most likely will) in the next draft, which is equivalent to another first

So three first and a former first + bozak for Stastny

I know bozak has no value now, but he showed a lot of promise last year... This year might be a slump or it might be the real bozak- idk -but it would provide a center for the avs.

I would add anything of value on top of that though.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
No they don't

I think the leafs take that deal and run before the Oil change their mind.

A young centre - who's in the NHL and a very talented playmaker for Kessel. What more could you ask for?
A player who hasn't missed 2 full seasons worth of games because of injuries.

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i'd take colborne out and use the rest to move up in the draft. probably the best option.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 05:14 PM
schelstatic

I don't think salary would be an issue in trading Stastny. Colorado has plenty of cap space and would infact have to take back alot of salary in order to reach the cap floor. If Toronto was really interested in obtaining Stastny, the only asset that Colorado would be interested (because of actual needs) would be Schenn. So unless there is a deal revolving around Schenn, there is no deal to be had between the teams.

schelstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Calary Sap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
How about keep your picks and prospect, and build a team properly?
^What he said. If the prospect pool for the Leafs isn't so deep to begin with, why make a dent in it by trading Colborne and the 1st rounders? I'm for Burkie making moves, just at the right cost. I personally would rather see him hang onto JC.

Calary Sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:07 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
A player who hasn't missed 2 full seasons worth of games because of injuries.
If you're more interested in durability we could swap out Cogs for Hemsky because Cogs hasn't missed a game in his career.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 05:42 AM
WestIslander

To Toronto: Mike Cammalleri
To Montreal: Joe Colborne + 1st round draft pick in 2011 + 1st round draft pick in 2011

Toronto get's scoring help and the guy they wanted to sign in the summer of 2009 and Montreal get's a big centre for the future and a total of three first round draft picks in 2011 to help them move up and land either Couturier or Huberdeau.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:05 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
To Toronto: Mike Cammalleri
To Montreal: Joe Colborne + 1st round draft pick in 2011 + 1st round draft pick in 2011

Toronto get's scoring help and the guy they wanted to sign in the summer of 2009 and Montreal get's a big centre for the future and a total of three first round draft picks in 2011 to help them move up and land either Couturier or Huberdeau.
you got that backwards ...he drove to the ACC on July 1st and was there at whatever time UFA season opened and asked Nonis to sign him.
...then the Habs backed up the truck and emptied an extra $1 million and an extra year on him over what the Leafs were offering.

He has said this himself (Cammy) though not quite in those words

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Auzzie19

Anyone know the injury update on Colborne after getting blindsided by Selick??

Auzzie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

I'd prefer not to mortgage our future, again.

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote