HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mini's Attack!!! Episode VII (th Place)

Old
03-11-2011, 01:20 AM
Robert604strom

vCash: 50
Nice win Buffalo!

Robert604strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:25 AM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Pop quiz:

When was the last time Chris Butler was on the ice for an ES goal (EDIT) against?

Last edited by jflory81: 03-11-2011 at 01:31 AM.
jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:27 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Pop quiz:

When was the last time Chris Butler was on the ice for an ES goal?
vs. Detroit like 2 weeks ago?

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:31 AM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
vs. Detroit like 2 weeks ago?
Yup. His positional game actually reminds me a lot of Tallinder's (his PK isn't there yet) which I think is why some jump all over his gaffes without seeing the overall strong positional play...and also why Myers' play has been noticeably stronger with Butler on his left.

EDIT: That should also say ES goal against, he's been on for ES goals for in the meantime

Old
03-11-2011, 01:34 AM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Oh...and before I forget, Gerbe and Ennis were freaking ridiculous.

BUF-BOS games always seem to have a lot of scoring chances and turn into shootouts despite the goaltending due to Buffalo not being able to handle Boston's heavy forecheck, and Boston's bigger D not being able to handle Buffalo's quicker forwards. Real interesting matchup right now.

Old
03-11-2011, 01:50 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

The ugliest thing about this game was Jack Edwards. If the refs weren't in Buffalo's pocket we were diving. If the Sabres gave the puck away it was a Bruin steal. Disgusting display.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:54 AM
mkoster

Quote:
So what goal did you think he should have had? The pinball goal that bounced way out to the circle and then immediately back in front? The goal where he had to come out and challenge on Chara who was skating in all alone from the faceoff dot? I had no problem with Miller's play tonight
The first goal I don't have a problem with he had no chance on the three on two, Leo and Rej's job on that one was to tie up the two other forwards which was Krejci and Horton and give Milsy the shooter who originally was Lucic I believe that one.

The second goal Chara wasn't skating all alone, Leo had him he sacrificed the body to try to block it and Chara recognized that and made a move and went around him. Milsy was out way to far and committed too far to his left which left him out of position, so he basically couldn't get back when Chara fed the pass which left Ryder all alone for a tap in which he even missed I believe it took a redirection off of Pommers or somebody and hit the post then went right to Recchi who buried it.

The third goal even though it ricochet off of Monty I believe and went right to Campbell, Milsy didn't have his stick in position if he would of had his stick in front of him or went into the butterfly with the paddle down he would of had it. It's a goal up for debate because the play transpired so fast but speaking from being a goaltender myself that's one Milsy needs to have.

So basically, Milsy should of had one for sure and even though giving him the benefit of the doubt on the other should of had it. Thus, with that being said I think it's safe to say that tonight was a mediocre game from Milsy. I'm not pointing the finger at him but at the end of the day he's got to be better.

mkoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:23 AM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoster View Post
The first goal I don't have a problem with he had no chance on the three on two, Leo and Rej's job on that one was to tie up the two other forwards which was Krejci and Horton and give Milsy the shooter who originally was Lucic I believe that one.

The second goal Chara wasn't skating all alone, Leo had him he sacrificed the body to try to block it and Chara recognized that and made a move and went around him. Milsy was out way to far and committed too far to his left which left him out of position, so he basically couldn't get back when Chara fed the pass which left Ryder all alone for a tap in which he even missed I believe it took a redirection off of Pommers or somebody and hit the post then went right to Recchi who buried it.

The third goal even though it ricochet off of Monty I believe and went right to Campbell, Milsy didn't have his stick in position if he would of had his stick in front of him or went into the butterfly with the paddle down he would of had it. It's a goal up for debate because the play transpired so fast but speaking from being a goaltender myself that's one Milsy needs to have.

So basically, Milsy should of had one for sure and even though giving him the benefit of the doubt on the other should of had it. Thus, with that being said I think it's safe to say that tonight was a mediocre game from Milsy. I'm not pointing the finger at him but at the end of the day he's got to be better.
Upon watching the replay, you're right on the 2nd goal. Although for as much as people want to rip on him for coming out when it burns him, they won't credit him when he comes way out to shut down a great chance. There was a play where the puck went back to the point, and Miller got 2 feet beyond the crease in a hurry to a) put the traffic behind him and b) (obviously) shut down the angle. Good with the bad, and if you're defense is playing well, the good far outweighs the bad.

As to the third goal, when the puck bounces to the right and back like that creates openings. That's all there is to it. As the puck bounces to the right, you're pushing off and going to the far post. As the puck bounces immediately back, you're doing whatever the hell you can to get back into position. I think it's pretty absurd to expect a goaltender to keep his stick in position to shut off the entire five hole, because to do that you have to have the stick on the ice.

Old
03-11-2011, 03:18 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
The ugliest thing about this game was Jack Edwards. If the refs weren't in Buffalo's pocket we were diving. If the Sabres gave the puck away it was a Bruin steal. Disgusting display.
Guy's an absolute joke, and even though I didn't think it was possible, may have actually gotten worse since last year.

Go home and play with your "dolls" Jack.

Leave the hockey to someone with at least a bare minimum level of credibility and professionalism.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 03:46 AM
Jade

Good:

Gerbe seems to play well in Boston FWIR, he made that OT GWG happen.

Great:
Love beating Boston, not a fan of the fan base in 3 out of the 4 sports franchises.

Bad:
Not recognizing many of the posters. I guess that's what happens when I lurk every few months.

Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 06:37 AM
BowieSabresFan

Ugly: Having 2 feeds to the game, and both are Jack Edwards. He has to be the reason why so many Bruins fans have such a skewed perspective. On Chara's boarding call, he tried to argue that you can't get a boarding call if you hit the ice first. Ok.....

Also, Miller maybe could have played the second goal better, though it would be harsh to criticize him too much for that. Anyone blaming him for the third goal, well...

Some folks tend to overlook how easy he makes some very difficult saves look. He made a number of quality stops last night.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Grant Clitsome may have something to say about that.
Wacey Rabbit trumps all.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=62565

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
So did McCormick and Lucic fight? How did it turn out? Anyone have video, perchance? The NHL.com highlights didn't have it.
hockeyfights.com

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/...htcard/reg2011

Old
03-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
So what goal did you think he should have had? The pinball goal that bounced way out to the circle and then immediately back in front? The goal where he had to come out and challenge on Chara who was skating in all alone from the faceoff dot? I had no problem with Miller's play tonight
I found the 3rd goal particularly interesting based on the conversation in regards Michalek's goal in the game on Tuesday.

People commenting on how Miller shouldn't of been in the butterfly and if he stood up he would've stopped that shot no problem. The 3rd goal tonight is case in point of why you DON'T just stay upright when there is a scoring chance.

They are very different plays, don't confuse this for me saying that Miller should've had the Campbell goal last night. Last night's goal was just a freak bounce right to the front, not much Miller can do about that. It's just case in point on how many holes it opens up for the shooter when a goalie is standing up, especially if you get the goalie moving on deflections.

Old
03-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade View Post
Good:

Gerbe seems to play well in Boston FWIR, he made that OT GWG happen.

Great:
Love beating Boston, not a fan of the fan base in 3 out of the 4 sports franchises.

Bad:
Not recognizing many of the posters. I guess that's what happens when I lurk every few months.

Howdy stranger!

03-11-2011, 10:10 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Not very religious, but I was praying for Cody when Lucic pulled him back up off his knees. He is lucky that Lucic abides by the "code" and didnt beat him while he was down TWICE...

Give him props for being willing to go and clean up the cross check by Gerbe.

Speaking of whom. Either Gerbe is really, really, really strong, or Horton took a major dive on that cross check. And B's fans are calling us divers???? Puh-lease!

Ugly: Grier looking to the heavens after missing that pass. Imagine this board if we didnt get two points.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:05 AM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
Not very religious, but I was praying for Cody when Lucic pulled him back up off his knees. He is lucky that Lucic abides by the "code" and didnt beat him while he was down TWICE...

Give him props for being willing to go and clean up the cross check by Gerbe.

Speaking of whom. Either Gerbe is really, really, really strong, or Horton took a major dive on that cross check. And B's fans are calling us divers???? Puh-lease!

Ugly: Grier looking to the heavens after missing that pass. Imagine this board if we didnt get two points.
I don't think Horton dove, just was caught off guard. Gerbe's a feisty one.

Just wanted to say that as an outsider, it sure looks like Sekera is ready to burst at the seams in terms of breaking out. I thought he was probably your best player out there tonight and his recent numbers are absurd. I never noticed how fast he is too. Very impressed by him last night.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:49 AM
OkimLom

Good: Ennis, Sek...Seker...Sekera(There I finally said it). Solid EFFORT. Cody Stepped up.
Bad: Boychuk(I think) "Riding" Vanek AFTER GTG. The bounce for bos 3rd goal.
Ugly: Gaustad playing mediocre at best. Guy is a shell of his former self.

After watching the 3rd goal: Chara takes shot, hits Ennis' stick, breaks it, and the puck bounces off Monty, where campbell was waiting. Miller opens the gates and campbell puts it home. just bad luck.

OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

I dunno if its been mentioned, but props to Lucic for not just beating the crap out of a very obviously tired McCormick. He just held on and let it go, and I think that was very cool of him. I don't know if Lucic was similarly tired, but he definitely had Cody in a vulnerable state and didn't just hit him to hit him.

Macksayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoster View Post
I see this is usual tradition on the Sabres Forum, so I'm going to give it a go...

The Good -

- Two points in what I said earlier the game that dictates this road trip from being great to average.
- Tyler Ennis is showing us glimpses of what he is capable of doing on a night to night basis, give this kid a few years and he is going to be something special.
- McCormick getting dirty and not taking any BS from anyone. Also props to him taking on Lucic that takes alot of balls.
- Gerbe with an aggressive and tenacious game and that's when he's at his most effective.
- Rej with a solid defensive game didn't try to do anything special kept it simple and has been our best defenseman since he's been back in the lineup.

The Bad -

- Milsy was mediocre tonight, he wasen't great tonight but made saves when he needed to. We need Milsy to be our best player every night if we want to have a chance to win every night.
- First five on three PP was a disgrace. The thing that striked me was there was no disire to manufacture anything on that PP. Pomers needs to get off the point on the PP it's just not working.
- Stafford not coming back for the third period lets hope it's nothing to serious.

The Ugly -

- Mark Recchi.
The first thing to do would be to stop calling Miller "Milsy."

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:08 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

i don't DVR, so i couldn't see it again, but i was almost positive that another sabre was right next to Gerbe and they BOTH at the same time checked Horton which is why he flew back. Could be wrong, i am sure someone will correct me.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre View Post
Love how Bruins fans see their team being undisciplined as a screw-job from the officials. Show me one of those calls that wasn't warranted and I'll see your point.

U:
- Jack Edwards with a microphone
+1. Cry harder, Emo Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
i don't DVR, so i couldn't see it again, but i was almost positive that another sabre was right next to Gerbe and they BOTH at the same time checked Horton which is why he flew back. Could be wrong, i am sure someone will correct me.
It was Butler. He still belongs under the U.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Good: Ennis, Sek...Seker...Sekera(There I finally said it). Solid EFFORT. Cody Stepped up.
Bad: Boychuk(I think) "Riding" Vanek AFTER GTG. The bounce for bos 3rd goal.
Ugly: Gaustad playing mediocre at best. Guy is a shell of his former self.

After watching the 3rd goal: Chara takes shot, hits Ennis' stick, breaks it, and the puck bounces off Monty, where campbell was waiting. Miller opens the gates and campbell puts it home. just bad luck.
This. Miler was set for the Chara shot. It was in the slot and on Campbell's stick before he could get repositioned. Lucky bounce for Coli's son.

No faulting Miller tonight, but Thomas stood on his head. He only got burned by the off-speed stuff and garbage goals. Scintillating.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Jade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Howdy stranger!
Hey Chain! Hope all is well

Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:51 PM