HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carolina Hurricanes @ Washington Capitals. 7pm. 3/11/2011

Old
03-11-2011, 11:54 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure I've never made a GDT.

I can be our ace-in-the-hole/last-ditch-effort, in case it really hits the fan in the playoffs.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Funkyalligator

So I guess we're saving Loyd for the playoffs?

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:05 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
Unless he lives in Japan, except then he'd have more important things to worry about.
Too soon, man. Too soon.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Funkyalligator

Wow...that's about all I can say about japan....they're so lucky it didn't strike closer to land.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
I'm pretty sure I've never made a GDT.

I can be our ace-in-the-hole/last-ditch-effort/eff it nothing else is working, in case it really hits the fan in the playoffs.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:30 PM

Arnott calls Semin "a little different cat," says he "needs a little guidance here and there." http://wapo.st/dYRrrE

"You know what, I've talked to him a lot," Arnott said. "I got to know a little bit about him just coming here from other guys, that he was a little different cat. He's very very talented, but for me, I just don't know if guys took the time enough to talk to him enough and make him feel a part of everything, and also get on him when he does things wrong. I think he needs the corrections and a little more discipline in his game, and he needs to know how important he is to this team to win. So it's just little things. I've been talking to him every day, and communication between linemates, it just helps a lot."

I mean really? This guy is fantastic, nobody on the team prior to the TDL would have the ... dare I say balls to speak up. Loving this acquisition more and more by the day.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Codependent
Fail for Nail!

Should be a tough game tonight. Canes playing well and fighting tooth and nail for that last playoff spot. Beginning of a tough eight game stretch, including a six game road trip. Hopefully Backtrom is back soon because this stretch is a real test and its coming at just the right time too. If the Caps play well the majority of the time here this could be a real opportunity for the team to take it to the next level. Powerplay is still missing two of their top four offensive players right now but if they can start trending upward things look a lot brighter. Super glad to have Fehr back and somehow picking up right where he left off three weeks ago. When Backtrom's back we may have three nice lines now and most of the season we haven't even had two. With two games against Montreal and games against Chicago, Detroit, and Philly coming up, they're gonna need to be in top form.

Codependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

arnotts leadership is just what the caps needed

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Fallschirmyager

thanks for the link to that 442. That's awesome.

Old
03-11-2011, 12:41 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey442 View Post
Arnott calls Semin "a little different cat," says he "needs a little guidance here and there." http://wapo.st/dYRrrE

"You know what, I've talked to him a lot," Arnott said. "I got to know a little bit about him just coming here from other guys, that he was a little different cat. He's very very talented, but for me, I just don't know if guys took the time enough to talk to him enough and make him feel a part of everything, and also get on him when he does things wrong. I think he needs the corrections and a little more discipline in his game, and he needs to know how important he is to this team to win. So it's just little things. I've been talking to him every day, and communication between linemates, it just helps a lot."

I mean really? This guy is fantastic, nobody on the team prior to the TDL would have the ... dare I say balls to speak up. Loving this acquisition more and more by the day.
That's awesome. Semin has always struck me as needing the sugar and the stick. Whereas most guys it's one or the other. That's his conundrum. For Arnott to be that intuitive about his approach to bringing him into the fold could be huge.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Codependent
Fail for Nail!

Quote:

This guy is unreal. I was really hoping for a Fedorov effect with him but I didnt know he spoke up so much. He doesn't just run his mouth though. He seems to strike a really nice balance between team building and discipline- sounds like he could be a coach one day. I was disappointed when Jersey got him this summer rather than us just because we really needed a big, second line center with his experience but the kind of quotes he's been dropping since he's arrived and the team's play seems to suggest his value is at a whole other level. This is the first time I really felt like the team had a second line since Feds left and Feds was aging and going down hill in production the second season. Arnott is good for the whole team though. I feel like in practice he's becoming the real captain on the team super fast. If this team really turns it around, I think everyone will look back to Arnott as the single biggest factor in changing the culture of the team.

Old
03-11-2011, 01:06 PM
capsfan528

sorry i started the game day thread fellas i thought i didnt know about the streak until it was brought up on here

i still like the caps in tonights game though, playing so well with the new guys in the lineup

capsfan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
That's awesome. Semin has always struck me as needing the sugar and the stick. Whereas most guys it's one or the other. That's his conundrum. For Arnott to be that intuitive about his approach to bringing him into the fold could be huge.
I think it's really pretty simple. It's the difference between being talked TO and talked AT. I know which I tune out immediately.

Old
03-11-2011, 01:16 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
I think it's really pretty simple. It's the difference between being talked TO and talked AT. I know which I tune out immediately.
Yeah. Not trying to sound anti-Bruce or anything, but he probably does a lot of talking AT, and its nice to have someone like Arnott who can balance that out a bit.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:17 PM
um

Quote:

he really shouldnt be talking about this anywhere this is pretty embarrassing for semin and it makes him look like a 10 year old

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:20 PM
capsfan528

does anyone know if neuvirth has a concussion or are they just holding him out because holtby is playing lights out?

capsfan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Codependent
Fail for Nail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
he really shouldnt be talking about this anywhere this is pretty embarrassing for semin and it makes him look like a 10 year old
The only negative thing he really said was he could use some more discipline in his game and he needs to get on him when he does something wrong, but he said that in the context of explaining how thats part of getting him to understand that he's part of a team and he really needs to feel a part of that and that means really talking to him and developing some good communication. Also, Arnott called the whole team out after game one and that was a win. He has made it clear the whole team will be held to a higher standard. I think he's the first guy since Feds who could really coach Semin.

Old
03-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Yeah. Not trying to sound anti-Bruce or anything, but he probably does a lot of talking AT, and its nice to have someone like Arnott who can balance that out a bit.
See, I took that as more of a rebuke to the rest of the team than I did towards Semin. As in no one else figured out all you have to do is simply talk to the guy and be honest with him?

Old
03-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
"We're gonna probably split the bill," Ovechkin chimed in. "When we have one fancier, probably he's gonna pay."
Classic Ovie.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:43 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
Eh, I don't think so. If it's embarassing for anyone, it's the coach. Coaches are supposed to talk to young players. What Arnott seems to be hinting at is that both Semin and the staff have used the language barrier as a bit of an excuse not to make the effort to communicate effectively. Arnott seems to think he can make it happen. Good for him. That's EXACTLY why we wanted a veteran #2C who has been around the block a few times-- because he can help not only through personal contribution on the ice, but through other intangible ways off the ice.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:07 PM
1eyedcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtcapsfan View Post
sorry i started the game day thread fellas i thought i didnt know about the streak until it was brought up on here

i still like the caps in tonights game though, playing so well with the new guys in the lineup
Dont worry about it. Thankfully,in the name of Reason, the outcome of the Caps games arent predicated by who starts a GDT on HF boards.

1eyedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:08 PM
piercehannigan

Arnott for Coach of Capitals. Fire B.B.!

piercehannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:09 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Its just feels like we have a new assistant coach. Nothing against Bruce at all, every team needs vet leadership in some way shape or form. And its no secret, we are a young team this year. George knows this plain as day and addressed it. He cleared him being a vocal leader beforehand.

We get tidbits of what he is doing via the media. Imagine what he is doing behind the scenes. Maybe he can fix the PP. God Mode.

If the caps lose tonight, will it be Bruce's fault, or Courts? Overcoming adversity is our theme folks.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 03-11-2011 at 03:17 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
thanks for the link to that 442. That's awesome.
My pleasure.

@ Um. I can see where you are coming from but I have to side with the rest of the folks here. I think it is very much needed and frankly ... all that matters is if Semin will be receptive to the constructive criticism. Now if Arnott can get Semin to reduce his offensive zone penalties by say ... 40-50% I'd be a happy camper.

Side note .... think I should change my handle to just "442" ??

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:49 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Love the Arnott and Semin stuff there. It has been pretty obvious through the years that Semin is definitely a different kind of dude regardless that he happens to be a hockey player.

Looking forward to the game tonight. The recent improved play has lessened the black cloud like filter that I've had for most of the season. They can smell the *real* season coming soon.