HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

ALL JERSEY TALK HERE - Who cares if it's real or fake? (Cont'd)

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Hollywood Couturier

vCash: 500
I know Puckboy has a Pronger one. Or he says he does...

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
10-07-2011, 08:22 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
What do you have?

Old
10-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
What do you have?
I'll only have Giroux's away jersey from this year. I don't have any other hockey ones. Only other game used jersey I have is Hamels' 2009 World Series jersey.

Old
10-07-2011, 08:33 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
I'll only have Giroux's away jersey from this year. I don't have any other hockey ones. Only other game used jersey I have is Hamels' 2009 World Series jersey.
Ah ok, that's an awesome hockey one to start off with. And Jesus dude, ONLY? I can't even fathom how much that cost you. That's a hell of a start for sure.

Old
10-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Ah ok, that's an awesome hockey one to start off with. And Jesus dude, ONLY? I can't even fathom how much that cost you. That's a hell of a start for sure.
Haha, I'm aware that it is a very nice jersey so I didn't mean "only" in that way. This Giroux one is going to hurt that pocket but he's my favorite Flyer at the moment. Although I could have gotten my favorite player in the NHL (Stastny) and like Timonen for the same price. I can see the Giroux one being a steal in a few years so it's a good investment. I'll probably get a Stastny one eventually.

Other than Stastny, JVR, Schenn, and now Couturier I don't really see another hockey player that i'll want to buy. But Couts and Schenn will be expensive as hell this year so i'll have to wait a few years.

Old
10-07-2011, 08:41 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Haha, I'm aware that it is a very nice jersey so I didn't mean "only" in that way. This Giroux one is going to hurt that pocket but he's my favorite Flyer at the moment. Although I could have gotten my favorite player in the NHL (Stastny) and like Timonen for the same price. I can see the Giroux one being a steal in a few years so it's a good investment. I'll probably get a Stastny one eventually.

Other than Stastny, JVR, Schenn, and now Couturier I don't really see another hockey player that i'll want to buy. But Couts and Schenn will be expensive as hell this year so i'll have to wait a few years.
I get ya man. I'm sure the Giroux is worth it, he's my favorite current Flyer as well so that's what I would go after if I could afford it.

That's not a bad group to go after, but how'd Stastny get in that mix?

Old
10-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
I get ya man. I'm sure the Giroux is worth it, he's my favorite current Flyer as well so that's what I would go after if I could afford it.

That's not a bad group to go after, but how'd Stastny get in that mix?
I grew up an Avs fan. I always watched the Flyers but liked that Avs more. Once Forsberg came here I switched over to the Flyers.

Old
10-07-2011, 08:49 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
I grew up an Avs fan. I always watched the Flyers but liked that Avs more. Once Forsberg came here I switched over to the Flyers.
Makes sense. Avs were my number 3 team behind the Flyers, then Mighty Ducks.

Old
10-07-2011, 08:49 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:

I truly hope you aren't buying the Giroux as an "investment". Jersey values have plummeted in the last few years and I don't see that changing as long as teams are wearing 3+ sets per season.

Old
10-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I truly hope you aren't buying the Giroux as an "investment". Jersey values have plummeted in the last few years and I don't see that changing as long as teams are wearing 3+ sets per season.
I mean it in the sense that Giroux's jersey will be cheaper now than it will be later once he breaks out completely. So I can have one and not have to go out and spend an even more ridiculous amount of money. I have no plans on ever selling it. Plus he wore it for Jagr's 1600th point which is pretty cool, even though that's a little detail.

Quote:
Makes sense. Avs were my number 3 team behind the Flyers, then Mighty Ducks.
Another reason I didn't buy the Stastny one today is the fact that their are so many on Meigray which will eventually be there on a season sale. Giroux on the other hand would disappear immediately for sale.

Old
10-07-2011, 09:23 PM
flountown

I definitely plan on getting one pending my current job interviews and such. Definitely plan to work the holiday sale...

Also looking to pick up one of the 50 dollar Phils joke squad preseason jerseys to strip and turn into a replica of Doc's perfect game jersey...

Also might get a home to signify his no-hitter as well...

Edit: I just want to use authentics that have the '36' Robin Roberts patch...

Last edited by flountown: 10-07-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old
10-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
I definitely plan on getting one pending my current job interviews and such. Definitely plan to work the holiday sale...

Also looking to pick up one of the 50 dollar Phils joke squad preseason jerseys to strip and turn into a replica of Doc's perfect game jersey...

Also might get a home to signify his no-hitter as well...
Coming from a guy who has a Game Used jersey, their is no difference between the jerseys they sell in retail besides a little sewn on thing with the year on it.

Old
10-07-2011, 09:31 PM
flountown

Quote:
Coming from a guy who has a Game Used jersey, their is no difference between the jerseys they sell in retail besides a little sewn on thing with the year on it.
Yeah, I did a ninja edit, basically the issued ones are way cheaper, and will come with authentic memorial patches. Hence why I am waiting, rather than finding a retail one...

Old
10-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Damn your ninja edit.

Old
10-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Last season I bought the Matt Carle pants he wore a the Winter Classic and Stanly Cup Playoffs -- I went into that in detail, and supplied photos, in this thread last season -- I have a COA and it is autographed... I would rather have his jersey but this was cheaper and I feel more rare and went through more action in important games.

I also have game worn stockings from both Kimmo and Knuble and had Kimmo autograph his.

Game used sticks I have are Knuble and a broken wooden Leclair which I love for the screwy curve he puts in his sticks.

As for jersey I have a questionable game worn Recchi White with the NHL2000 patch... Long story short is before the NHL stared making money on game used jerseys they were not tagged and game used/issued jerseys often found their way out of the locker room and many had no COAs or other backing. I bought it off a guy on an eBay auction for cheap and worth the price to me even for only an authentic... The story he had was that it came from an equipment guy with the Flyers and was issued to Rex after he returned to he Flyers but after a couple few games he was not comfortable with the sizing at that point and they issued another size jersey to him and this one got out of the Room... and was sold cheap because there was no COA or anything. Do I believe it? If I had to pay near market value for it I'd totally not buy the story nor he garment... For the price I paid which was a fair price for an authentic used jersey in good shape I am very skeptical but don't really care enough to totally blow it off as bull-crap... I do not ass it off as a Game used/issued to anyone and use it as I would my other past Flyers players jerseys... I do like it for its authentic quality and the NHL2000 patch which is kinda rare.

... So... to answer the question... No, I do not have an NHL Game Used Jersey.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:02 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
i have my doubts too. That was the same one i had a down payment on for like 6 months and then i switched jerseys. It did disapear after a while tho. so possible. As far as whether you care if that jerse is worth anything, even with the amount of jerseys produced and worn each season , Considering this should be a huge breakout for him sorta like gagne, forsberg, i think any jerseys he wore during the jagrioux years will be worth a little more. but even if it rots hangin on a wall you cant go wrong.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
i have my doubts too. That was the same one i had a down payment on for like 6 months and then i switched jerseys. It did disapear after a while tho. so possible. As far as whether you care if that jerse is worth anything, even with the amount of jerseys produced and worn each season , Considering this should be a huge breakout for him sorta like gagne, forsberg, i think any jerseys he wore during the jagrioux years will be worth a little more. but even if it rots hangin on a wall you cant go wrong.
I mean I outed the guy about his fake story about having his car broken into at the Phillies game and he continued to pretend like it actually happened. Anything that he says can't be taken as truth now.

I obviously care in some sense how much the jersey is worth because if Giroux is to flop, somehow, i'd be pissed as hell that I dropped that money on it. The prospect of him playing with Jagr this season and how good he has become I don't see that happening. Plus I mean even if it's the littlest detail and they've only played one game, he wore it scoring on Jagr's 1600th point. But in a selling sense unless he has the best season ever I don't really care how much it is worth.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:36 AM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Last season I bought the Matt Carle pants he wore a the Winter Classic and Stanly Cup Playoffs -- I went into that in detail, and supplied photos, in this thread last season -- I have a COA and it is autographed... I would rather have his jersey but this was cheaper and I feel more rare and went through more action in important games.

I also have game worn stockings from both Kimmo and Knuble and had Kimmo autograph his.

Game used sticks I have are Knuble and a broken wooden Leclair which I love for the screwy curve he puts in his sticks.

As for jersey I have a questionable game worn Recchi White with the NHL2000 patch... Long story short is before the NHL stared making money on game used jerseys they were not tagged and game used/issued jerseys often found their way out of the locker room and many had no COAs or other backing. I bought it off a guy on an eBay auction for cheap and worth the price to me even for only an authentic... The story he had was that it came from an equipment guy with the Flyers and was issued to Rex after he returned to he Flyers but after a couple few games he was not comfortable with the sizing at that point and they issued another size jersey to him and this one got out of the Room... and was sold cheap because there was no COA or anything. Do I believe it? If I had to pay near market value for it I'd totally not buy the story nor he garment... For the price I paid which was a fair price for an authentic used jersey in good shape I am very skeptical but don't really care enough to totally blow it off as bull-crap... I do not ass it off as a Game used/issued to anyone and use it as I would my other past Flyers players jerseys... I do like it for its authentic quality and the NHL2000 patch which is kinda rare.

... So... to answer the question... No, I do not have an NHL Game Used Jersey.
Do you have any high-res pictures of markings on the jersey? Perhaps you should give photo-matching a shot. I'd be glad to help if you posted up and distinguishable markings...

Old
10-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Do you have any high-res pictures of markings on the jersey? Perhaps you should give photo-matching a shot. I'd be glad to help if you posted up and distinguishable markings...
Thanks for he offer, Amigo... The thing is that it supposedly was not worn much... if at all... in game action; maybe a game at most I'd think -- a player has to be able to tell fairly quickly if a jersey feels wrong in size I would imagine -- and I did wear it to games over the years... but there are no game action marks like rips or board marks; nothing mended. This is to me a sign it is fake... but also I suppose a sign that it could be game issued or even worn once without incident... I'm not an expert on such things by a long shot.

On thing I could maybe find out... I don't know how much I researched this a decade ago before Google was here and so good... the jersey has a NHL2000 patch but no 'A'... I believed that Recchi didn't re-gain his letter until later; he was traded back to the Flyers to play in only 10 games in 1998-99 season. I assume the patch was worn the entire 1999-2000 season and not only in the calendar year 2000, so if that is true it would be a fit for that... and I don't know how many retail outlets would sell the jersey with the patch. I believe he was able to get back his number '8' in 1999-2000.

So the good things I see is that it has the patch which was probably not sold retail often and no 'A' consistent with his status (IIRC)... and also it is a smallish size, but not too small, which he I'm sure would have worn back than given his small but stocky build -- I forget the size and will have to check later -- My guess is that it may be a team issued and at best a one and done Game Worn... OR it is a fake bought at the arena.

I don't see how I could match such an old jersey with Internet images... especially with a jersey that is claimed to have such little... I appreciate your off though and any information or advise you can supply me based on the above facts/assumptions would be gladly received.

Old
10-08-2011, 11:15 AM
flountown

Quote:
Thanks for he offer, Amigo... The thing is that it supposedly was not worn much... if at all... in game action; maybe a game at most I'd think -- a player has to be able to tell fairly quickly if a jersey feels wrong in size I would imagine -- and I did wear it to games over the years... but there are no game action marks like rips or board marks; nothing mended. This is to me a sign it is fake... but also I suppose a sign that it could be game issued or even worn once without incident... I'm not an expert on such things by a long shot.

On thing I could maybe find out... I don't know how much I researched this a decade ago before Google was here and so good... the jersey has a NHL2000 patch but no 'A'... I believed that Recchi didn't re-gain his letter until later; he was traded back to the Flyers to play in only 10 games in 1998-99 season. I assume the patch was worn the entire 1999-2000 season and not only in the calendar year 2000, so if that is true it would be a fit for that... and I don't know how many retail outlets would sell the jersey with the patch. I believe he was able to get back his number '8' in 1999-2000.

So the good things I see is that it has the patch which was probably not sold retail often and no 'A' consistent with his status (IIRC)... and also it is a smallish size, but not too small, which he I'm sure would have worn back than given his small but stocky build -- I forget the size and will have to check later -- My guess is that it may be a team issued and at best a one and done Game Worn... OR it is a fake bought at the arena.

I don't see how I could match such an old jersey with Internet images... especially with a jersey that is claimed to have such little... I appreciate your off though and any information or advise you can supply me based on the above facts/assumptions would be gladly received.
They did sell retail versions with the patch. I had a Sabres one withe the patch. as well as an ASG jersey with the NHL2000 patch.

Old
10-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Hollywood Couturier

So I just noticed the Bartulis helmet I bought at the Flyers Equipment Sale was probably used in the Winter Classic. Has the WC sticker on the inside of the helmet.

Old
10-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
They did sell retail versions with the patch. I had a Sabres one withe the patch. as well as an ASG jersey with the NHL2000 patch.
Thanks, Flountown... While cutting the odds a tad with the patch, apparently it is not anywhere near a check on the real ledger now with that news... I went into the purchase happy with the Authentic at well under original cost, and I will leave it at that... with the conversational starter of the possibility of the equipment guy's grabbing Rex's jersey as a thrown in bonus.

It would be interesting to know the size CCM jersey he wore in those days though... If it were one size over mine I could take heart in that news haha. Thing is that over the years I'd bet he has had progressively increasing jersey sizes as he go older.

As a side note; I loved Rex and was happy to see him win his second Cup with the Canes... not so happy to see him win his third... and disgusted to see him back on ice kissing the Cup last Thursday... and pissed that he has three team logos tattooed on his leg and none of them a Flying 'P'.

Old
10-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
So I just noticed the Bartulis helmet I bought at the Flyers Equipment Sale was probably used in the Winter Classic. Has the WC sticker on the inside of the helmet.
My son picked up a Hatcher helmet a few years back and was able to get it signed with his arrow like autograph at the STH meet the team night... Cool item.

The other year they were selling a Bundy helmet... they couldn't answer my question when I asked them if it was the one he was wearing when he was concussed hat last time, ending his career.

My Carle pants didn't have any WC sticker or anything denoting it... I was able to tell from photos that he wore it there by the fact that he wore different pants brands at different stages of his career and the period that he clearly wore those spanned through the WC and SCF, switching this last season to new ones and a new brand... The Easton symbol being clearly seen in many photos on Google Images is really cool... and the pants are very beat up and mended with some tears still there... and the inside printing is very worn and/or faded.

The equipment sale at the SkateZone last month had many well worn gloves... One in particular was interesting and I should have snatched them up in afterthought... i was Coburn IIRC and the palms were worn completely through so that there were complete holes in them. I wonder if he played with them in that condition since they still afforded him full protection I believe and he must have had a great feel in his grip.... Shoulda sprung for 'em, dammit.

Old
10-08-2011, 06:34 PM
flountown

Quote:
Thanks, Flountown... While cutting the odds a tad with the patch, apparently it is not anywhere near a check on the real ledger now with that news... I went into the purchase happy with the Authentic at well under original cost, and I will leave it at that... with the conversational starter of the possibility of the equipment guy's grabbing Rex's jersey as a thrown in bonus.

It would be interesting to know the size CCM jersey he wore in those days though... If it were one size over mine I could take heart in that news haha. Thing is that over the years I'd bet he has had progressively increasing jersey sizes as he go older.

As a side note; I loved Rex and was happy to see him win his second Cup with the Canes... not so happy to see him win his third... and disgusted to see him back on ice kissing the Cup last Thursday... and pissed that he has three team logos tattooed on his leg and none of them a Flying 'P'.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...lotIdNo=204034

Seems size 52 is listed there...

Old
10-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Thanks, this brings up some points... good, bad and questionable.

I went and got my jersey out and found that it was a Nike and not CCM as I had thought... The one up for auction is a CCM but is a (then) road Black while mine is a (then) Home White... Could it be the Black jerseys were made by CCM while the White ones were Nike? Doesn't sound right... but with jerseys, odder things have been known to happen.

On the good side... there is no 'A' on the one up for auction either.

And I find my jersey is a Nike size 48 while the one on auction is a CCM size 52... Being smaller goes along with the seller telling me that it didn't feel right to Rex so they pulled it. The difference between 48 and 52 seems maybe too great... but when we factor in the difference in manufacturer, maybe Nike runs bigger and the difference is not as great and might then fit into the feels off range rather than a huge difference, if we assume the equipment people take into consideration the different companies and adjust... giving Rex what they felt was 'his' size but estimating incorrectly. A reach? Maybe.

My jersey has tags on the neck with the size and other information... that is not shown on the one up for auction as it has only the made in Canada tag in an image, and not the size at the collar... The tags say: Team Nike Sports - Engineered to the exact specifications of Championship Athletes (on the tag with the large 48, denoting the size) The other tag says: Authentic Collection - Center Ice (in both English and Canadian)

There is of course a fight strap as expected and there is reinforced elbows and side sleeve stitching.

On difference of note is the 'R' in Recchi has the hole not squared as the Black CCM but more rounded yet squared right side... keeping in mind that it is not only different companies but a single layered lettering compared to a single layered one in the two kits.

Also to be taken into consideration is if the one up for auction is totally legit.

... With this additional information and reasoning do you have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.. and thanks again for furnishing me that link.

EDIT: BTW, I forgot to mention that the 48 feels loose to me and I am a Recchi-esque stocky and 5'8-1/2" (but not nearly as solid of course)... but then again, I didn't have pads on either... but it sure seems like a big 48 too me.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 10-08-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Closed Thread